PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car vs. Ground Transportation

dlandnut
03-09-2005, 12:58 PM
We're flying to LAX on Thursday, June 2. Twelve of us for a 4-night stay. We're only doing DL and CA, EXCEPT that one day some of us may wish to go to the beach and Crab Cooker for lunch. Is it worth it to get two cars to rent, park them at the Disneyland Hotel, and then have transportation to the beach and restaurant? Other than that 2-3 hour excursion, we will not be leaving the DL property at all. Another option: rent 1 car, get a designated driver to drive 6 to the hotel with luggage and then go back and get the other five? Seems like a royal pain. Any idea on what is the cheapest transportation to/from LAX to the Disneyland Hotel? Also, maybe we could just rent a car for our day excursion to the beach and restaurant, i.e., rent a car for 1 day, vs. 2 cars for 5 days, plus parking. So, after all the explanation, is it cheaper to pay for ground transportation to/from LAX for 12 people, vs. rental of two cars plus parking for 5 days? Any wise advice is appreciated! :)

bradk
03-09-2005, 01:14 PM
i think airbus may be your cheapest option at $25 per adult and $16 per child round trip.

it's probably not worth it to rent a car for one day just to go to the beach, there are other methods for that.

it's definitely not reasonable to have 1 car and make someone go back and forth for 2 trips - you're asking 6 people to wait at the airport for a minimum of 2 hours just to be picked up. if anything, it should be 1 car and the rest by bus.

sediment
03-09-2005, 06:17 PM
1. For the airport transportation: Get a shuttle exclusively for your party. 12 should be doable. (My FAQ #1 doesn't apply to that big of a party, unless you want one of those super limos.) Airport-to-Disneyland shuttle is cheap, I hear. It's a long way for one person to go back and forth twice.
2. For one day at the beach and crab shack:
a) Rent a van; or
b) Check the bus system.
And make it a whole day, not just a few hours.

Next time, plan more days away from DLr, so renting is more economical. So, one visit is all DLr, and the next visit is various places.

bradk
03-09-2005, 07:10 PM
incidentally the largest private ss van is for 9 people and it's $112 each way which is why i didn't suggest it. there's a 7 passenger fan as well (i guess it makes sense to do 2 7s) but i don't know the price off hand. i think airbus is still the cheapest route.

sediment
03-09-2005, 07:25 PM
incidentally the largest private ss van is for 9 people and it's $112 each way which is why i didn't suggest it. there's a 7 passenger fan as well (i guess it makes sense to do 2 7s) but i don't know the price off hand. i think airbus is still the cheapest route.
Can get a 10-passenger Limo for $140, each way, I think. Two sixers for $240. Might be able to get a discount of some sort.
It is vacation, after all. What's a little more moolah for a luxury trip in a limo, versus waiting for upwards of a half-hour in one of the more air-polluted places in LA: the LAX thoroughfare?

Mark Goldhaber
03-09-2005, 09:21 PM
7-passenger private SuperShuttle vans are $92 each way.