PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Scale Model

Ace
12-31-2001, 08:50 PM
I know some people have built models of certain rides, but has there ever been a scale model of the entire park??? I think that would be so cool! The rides wouldn't have to work, but it would be there. Maybe Mark Twain would float around....

DisneylandKid
12-31-2001, 09:17 PM
There was a thread like this some time ago. That would be a very cool thing to have a miniature Disneyland in your living room :). If I had it, I would want it to be extremely detailed and all of the outdoor attractions work (Matterhorn/autopia/train/monorail/ROA boats/Big Thunder/part of Splash/part of Alice/Dumbo/Casey Jr/Storybook/Gadget's/etc.).

I would pay $1000's for it! Do I want to save up for my first car or for a Disneyland model.... toss up!:)

FantasmicFan82
12-31-2001, 09:42 PM
Yeah, this tread existed before.... My idea is going to be done sometime in my life time... well, i'm going to help one of my cousins who LOVES DL and Barbie. so it won't be really small, but it will be barbie size. it's still going to be pretty big though.

coronamouseman
01-01-2002, 06:30 AM
I believe that in the 1960's there were some Disneyland "playsets" which included an injection molded Matterhorn, plastic buidlings including the castle, Main Street, Frontierland buildings with plastic pieces like old TWA rocket ship, mine train, jungle cruise boat and animals, sternwheeler boat, trains, etc. and a vinyl floor map to put all the pieces on ........

Probably something you can only find on Disneyana or Ebay sites now..........

2CN
01-01-2002, 01:15 PM
I have one of those castles- well.. two.. one I played with, one not opened- that my mom got in 85 or 86... was made by Lil Play Mates.. came with the train, bus, horse drawn car, parking lot tram, 6 Disney characters, three playmates charts. Has a 'working' drawbridge, an elevator in the back, a clock.. it also can fold up so its just the outside, or opens up to see the inside... it is one of those toys from when I was younger that I remember playing with. The thing was/is called Disneys Magic Kingdom Play Set- Bring home the thrills of Disneyland!.

Lost Boy
01-01-2002, 02:55 PM
I know a lot of you on this thread are too young to remember him, but back when I was younger (more years than I care to think about) there was a Teen Singer named Bobby Sherman. He became a very popular Teen Idol of his time. He also starred in a TV series called "Here Come The Brides" as one of the Bolt Brothers (the youngest). This show had quite a fan following as many Star Trek fans also watched this as the character of Arron Stemple, the villian of the series, was played by Mark Leonard, who Played Sarek, Spocks Father in Star Trek the sereis and all the movies. Anyway, Sherman became wealthy (He now works as a Policeman here in Soutern California) and he was also a big fan of Disneyland. So, having the money and the room, he built a rather large model of Disneyland in his backyard. There was an article on him recently in one of the magazines and that model is still there, and he still keeps it working and up-to-date. I have no pictures of it, but I remeber an issue of Tiger Beat that covered him at home and showed some pictures of him working on Main Street builings. I don't know the scale, but it looke like it was "O" gauge size, which is larger that HO scale model trains, but not as big as Walt's Train in his backyard. The models looke to be about 6 to 10 inches high based on what building it was and if it had a higher roof tower on it. But I remember he had built the castle and all the rides, landscaped it, and a lot of stuff worked. It was all built by him, from scratch and it looked very professional and very well done.
Ah, what you can do with money.

DisneylandKid
01-01-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I know a lot of you on this thread are too young to remember him, but back when I was younger (more years than I care to think about) there was a Teen Singer named Bobby Sherman. He became a very popular Teen Idol of his time. He also starred in a TV series called "Here Come The Brides" as one of the Bolt Brothers (the youngest). This show had quite a fan following as many Star Trek fans also watched this as the character of Arron Stemple, the villian of the series, was played by Mark Leonard, who Played Sarek, Spocks Father in Star Trek the sereis and all the movies. Anyway, Sherman became wealthy (He now works as a Policeman here in Soutern California) and he was also a big fan of Disneyland. So, having the money and the room, he built a rather large model of Disneyland in his backyard. There was an article on him recently in one of the magazines and that model is still there, and he still keeps it working and up-to-date. I have no pictures of it, but I remeber an issue of Tiger Beat that covered him at home and showed some pictures of him working on Main Street builings. I don't know the scale, but it looke like it was "O" gauge size, which is larger that HO scale model trains, but not as big as Walt's Train in his backyard. The models looke to be about 6 to 10 inches high based on what building it was and if it had a higher roof tower on it. But I remember he had built the castle and all the rides, landscaped it, and a lot of stuff worked. It was all built by him, from scratch and it looked very professional and very well done.
Ah, what you can do with money.
Could someone work at getting pictures of this (or a tour!)? I would really like to see this (and I'm sure some fellow MousePadders would too!)

Ace
01-01-2002, 06:04 PM
here's a link to his model, it's only of main street though (http://www.bobbysherman.com/disney.htm)

Ace
01-01-2002, 06:06 PM
sorry, I posted twice and I couldn't undo it.

WizKidRyan
01-01-2002, 06:13 PM
Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Someone had too much free time :)

DisneylandKid
01-01-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
here's a link to his model, it's only of main street though (http://www.bobbysherman.com/disney.htm) Ya... that was posted in another thread, too... I'd like to see pictures of the whole thing! I'd like to have:) the whole thing!

skunkwerx
01-02-2002, 09:02 AM
Its my ambition (dream) to create some working scale replicas of various attractions. I've day-dreamed about the logistics involved and narrowed the choices down to Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad and Pirates or Haunted.

I invision a scale replica (unknown scale) with working animatronics, ride mechanisms, theming and music. I've thought about the complexity involved with designing a "working" scale replica of any attractions and the task does seem a bit overwhelming however the end result would be amazing if accomplished.

Imagine a replica of Splash with a working ride system complete with ride timing mechanisms, working animatronics, drops, water systems. Imagine fitting one flume log with a wireless camera so that you could view a miniature ride perspective.

Ahhhhh to dream!...........

Ace
01-02-2002, 09:37 AM
I want a scale model...but it wouldn't have to work. I just want to have the visual part.... of course the trains would work, but that's it. It'd just be something to look at, since I'd know that Disneyland was a quick flight in my executive jet or a small drive in my stretch limo, anyway.

Morrigoon
01-02-2002, 10:45 PM
WOW

That was *very* impressive. More detail than I think I'd go into myself (and more $ than I could spend) but...wow.

I've often thought of doing the "architectural scale model" thing. Sort of like the scale model of Main St that they show Walt looking over in one of the early Disneyland TV shows. My thinking was watercolor or acrylic on cold press illustration board, cut and glued together in the building shapes. Foam board might be more stable, but harder to paint, and the edges would have a different texture than the face. We used illustration board to make models of sets in my stage design class a couple years ago. Worked pretty well. Even used that gauzy netting you can get near the bridal section of fabric stores as a scrim. If I was to build a model of DL, I'd probably do it in that style.

I kinda wish I knew more about model trains, because I'd love to do one that was set in scale with some popular model train gauge, so I could set a train in it. Man, what a cool hobby... probably take years.

But that Bobby Darrin one is REALLY cool.

jslivinski
01-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I know a lot of you on this thread are too young to remember him, but back when I was younger (more years than I care to think about) there was a Teen Singer named Bobby Sherman. He became a very popular Teen Idol of his time...

I still have one of his albums at home. I think I may have even had a poster at one time. Brings back memories.