PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Resort courtesy

Pages : [1] 2 3

MyBeast
03-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I am a regular guest and cast member at the Disneyland Resort. Over the years that I have both been and worked there, I have seen a lack of general courtesy from many of the guests, both to other guests and to cast members. I'd like to share with you all a number of tips to good courtesy at the Disneyland Resort. I'm not saying everyone is horrible, most of the guests are very pleasant and great to be around, but even a small number can ruin a trip for someone.

1. Walking around the parks - We all know there are a great number of people walking around the parks, so please be courteous and not walk more than 2 in a row. This way others can move around you much easier, and you will not be crashed into. Also, strollers hurt when they hit someone, so please, watch how you manuever them.

2. Lines - Yes, there are many lines at Disneyland, there are a lot of people there. Please don't complain about them, they are almost always going to be there, especially at a new ride, lunch and dinner times at the food places, and at closing in the stores. The cast members work very hard to get you through in a fast and friendly way. (note - a way to keep from dealing with too many lines in stores at closing - purchase early, and use Disney's package pickup service. You can leave your purchases at a store, they'll be transfered to a location (like the newsstand at Disneyland) and you can pick them up at the end of the night).

3. Rides - If a ride spiel says no flash photography, there's usually a good reason, so please refrain. It usually interferes with another guest's experience. On rides, please try to keep your voices low if you are going to talk in them, many have never been on the ride and would like to hear what the ride has to say, not about the dress you bought yesterday. Also, please try to keep your singing voices down in the rides, as much as people like to hear others singing, they may enjoy the ride's version better. Please listen to cast member's instructions and do what they ask, it makes their job easier, and your ride much better. On rides that take photos of you, do not flip the cameras off, flash them or anything else you'd not want your kids or mom to see you do. You can ruin a picture for a great many people.

4. Shows - In shows such as Fantasmic, it is a good idea to get there early, at least an hour before. You get much better seats this way. Please don't come 5 minutes before and expect to be sitting front row. Also, don't push your way through at that 5 minutes before and stand in front of someone, it's not appreciated. Also, if you are 6'5 and there is a woman who may be 5 foot, allow her to stand in front of you, it won't block your view. When you are standing watching, pick one space and stand as still as you can, because there are other people standing behind you and when you shift, it can block their view. Don't wear the big hats and stand in front, no one can see over it.

5. Stores - In the stores there are lots of great things to touch. But remember, there is someone who has to clean up after you. Would you want someone throwing shirts all around when you had to clean? If you don't want something, give it to a cast member, and they can put it back where it belongs, don't just place it anywhere you feel like. Do not let your children wonder away from you, they can very easily end up hurting themselves or getting lost for a bit. (Every lost child has been found at Disneyland).

6. Food - Choose what you want before you get to the register. Have your form of payment out. These both make the lines go much quicker. Don't ask about things that aren't on the menu, they are most likely not there. You can ask however, "Where would I go to get _______?" Please throw away your trash, whether dining at a place like Village Haus or getting popcorn for a snack. We have wonderful custodians, but we all have a part in keeping Disneyland clean.

7. Cast members - 99.9% of the cast members at the Disneyland resort are fantastic happy people. They are willing to do whatever it takes to make your trip a success. If you have one bad cast member experience, don't take it out on the rest of the cast members. If you have a great cast member experience, let someone know, guest relations, their lead or their manager. It makes a cast member's day to know that someone thought they were great. I was on pirates a couple days ago and one of the cast members at the loading dock started talking to us in a pirate voice with the ARRR and everything. After the ride, I let his manager and him know and it boosted his mood and mine 100 %. It makes a big difference.

We know you pay a lot to go to the Disneyland Resort, but so do many other people. Treat others as you'd want to be treated, it makes your trip so much better.
Thanks for listening to these courtesy notes, if any of you have any more to add, please do. With courtesy, everything goes better for everyone.

Marox3
03-06-2005, 05:40 PM
I second MyBeast's thoughts and words of wisdom.

Susan L
03-06-2005, 06:36 PM
Bravo, MyBeast.

kijay
03-06-2005, 06:45 PM
Very well said. Courtesy seems to be a forgotten concept nowdays.

Disney Vault
03-06-2005, 07:09 PM
I think you need to print that list out and hand it to people as they enter Disneyland.

Dream Again
03-06-2005, 08:50 PM
You deserve a standing ovation :D. I'm so sick of taller people stepping right in front of you when you've been waiting forever for Fantasmic or a parade. I can see if they're shorter or didn't see you standing there, but for the rest... :rolleyes:. Heck, people even glare at me when I apologize for THEM bumping into me (If you knew me you'd know that 'sorry' is probably my most commonly used word,lol.) I have to admit to being guilty to the two in a row thing. My little 4 year old cousin likes to hold everybodys hand while walking so there's usually about 3 people in a row walking when she's around. Apologies!

MyBeast
03-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Oh three is ok, especially with kids.I don't like groups of like 10 where they are all linked arm to arm and you can't get buy. I love watching the kids at the park, especially when they meet someone they love. That's what is important, the children. Adults tend to forget that when they get caught up in the Magic. I watched the Aladdin show and had a little girl sitting next to me, I had a good view and the little girl had a giant in front of her. So I switched places. She loved seeing the show and her parents got to see the joy in her face because of it.

I also recommend talking to the cast members, we have cool stories and love to interact. And talk to the people around you, you may make great friends (and lines pass by quicker).

Stupid_American
03-07-2005, 06:46 AM
I think you need to print that list out and hand it to people as they enter Disneyland.

How about as they leave their houses?!

TOTFan
03-07-2005, 07:28 AM
Sorry to say, but only a few read this board, it would take quite a bit to get all of disney to react to it. Also, just cause something bothers you down't mean it bothers others. I don't worry about how others act at the park, I just enjoy myself.

dlandnut
03-07-2005, 07:33 AM
Great post. :)

03-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Treat others as you'd want to be treated, it makes your trip so much better. <snip!>
With courtesy, everything goes better for everyone.

Couldn't be simpler or easier to remember!

bradk
03-07-2005, 07:39 AM
people won't shut up during a movie that they paid only $10 for, forget about their demands when they pay $100.

people are people. i think the better route is to accept that and try to adapt to the fact that you aren't alone on this planet and not to worry and waste your breath by preaching. as it is, preachers can be just as annoying as the people they're preaching to (sometimes even moreso). and i've ridden on enough new york subways to know this.

ToursbabeC3po
03-07-2005, 08:04 AM
I consider myself a "nice guest" But I don't need someone to tell me how to act. People are going to do what they want. And I disagree that 99.9% of the cast members are wonderful. I don't let a bad cast member get on my nerves who cares about the cast members I am there to have a good time with my family not to judge how cast member performance is.
((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))
Toursbabe

GrumpyUTboi
03-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Spoken by a true New Yorker. It amazes me how people are so different from the East coast vs the West coast.

03-07-2005, 08:18 AM
Spoken by a true New Yorker. It amazes me how people are so different from the East coast vs the West coast.

As a former Californian-turned-Midwesterner, I noticed how Californians now talk on their cell phones all the time. You're at Disneyland and you're on the phone?

I know. The phone is like a walkie-talkie in the parks. It just struck us as silly.

SCUBAbe
03-07-2005, 08:22 AM

I am probably precieved as rude in the parks, but OH WELL..I learned from a new yorker how to navigate through crowds. I am not going to walk slowly behind people who are meandering about and going at a sanils pace. I usually weave in and out of the crowds. My family knows now if I find a way through I am going for it and they either follow me or find there own way through until we are out of the bottle necked areas. We haven't lost anyone yet...LOL..I do get dirty looks from peole, but I feel either walk faster or get out of the way...I hate walking slow.

bradk
03-07-2005, 08:28 AM
there's the irony. in nyc as locals, we have to avoid tourists. as a tourist in DL, we have to avoid locals.

Crazy4DL
03-07-2005, 08:45 AM
I am probably precieved as rude in the parks, but OH WELL..I learned from a new yorker how to navigate through crowds. I am not going to walk slowly behind people who are meandering about and going at a sanils pace. I usually weave in and out of the crowds. My family knows now if I find a way through I am going for it and they either follow me or find there own way through until we are out of the bottle necked areas. We haven't lost anyone yet...LOL..I do get dirty looks from peole, but I feel either walk faster or get out of the way...I hate walking slow.

Relax - it is Disneyland. I am betting there are a lot of people at the parks that don't live close by and only make it to DL once in a great while and are enjoying themselves and taking it all in or have small children who can't walk fast - or older people who can't really walk fast ;)

AmandasDad
03-07-2005, 08:47 AM

Nothing wrong with getting around the slow pokes. you are not inconvienencing them. It's when people are in considerate by talking too loudly on a ride or walking 5 abreast or leaving their trash on a table after eating that are the problems.

Crazy4DL
03-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Nothing wrong with getting around the slow pokes. you are not inconvienencing them. It's when people are in considerate by talking too loudly on a ride or walking 5 abreast or leaving their trash on a table after eating that are the problems.

Yeah - you are right there is nothing wrong with getting around us slow pokes at all but no reason to be rude about it. Most people are not trying to be in the way there is just so much fun stuff to look at and the whole experience is just fun!!

yellowrosedtxn
03-07-2005, 08:59 AM
I think that everyone should just remember the golden rule - treat others how you would like to be treated - and everyone will have a good time. Whether you are a visitor or a CM, just treat everyone as you would like to be treated and everyone will have a better day. Just my two cents worth.

rentayenta
03-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Excellent post!

Crazy4DL
03-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I think that everyone should just remember the golden rule - treat others how you would like to be treated - and everyone will have a good time. Whether you are a visitor or a CM, just treat everyone as you would like to be treated and everyone will have a better day. Just my two cents worth.

I'll second your two cents worth!

Mommy2NicknMax
03-07-2005, 10:00 AM
I don't recall seeing this in any of the previous posts so I'll mention it: Please don't stop in the walkways. If you need to stop, step over to the side out of the way and let others pass you. You'd think people would know to do this but I was surprised by how many people will be walking along and then suddenly stop to get something out of their bag (like a map) or from their stroller for their child.

Leash81
03-07-2005, 10:04 AM

I agree that sometimes you just need to get around people who are moving slowly but you don't have to be rude about it. I have been run into by far to many people rushing around who don't even grunt out a "sorry" when they almost knock me over just because they want to rush. You know you are at Disneyland which for most people means you are on vacation and want to relax a little and enjoy yourself and the atmosphere. If all you are there for is to be a commando and run all over the park trying to get on every ride then go to Six Flags where there isn't any scenery to be admired. And if you hate slow movers maybe you should rethink your choice of parks, because who doesn't know that Disneyland will be full of tourists with little kids and strollers who will be moving at a leisurely pace rather than power walking. I just think it all comes down to the fact that if people had even a little courtesy and respect for others everything would run a lot smoother. And I do apologize if this has offended anyone.