PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Buzz

Viva La Disney
03-06-2005, 01:30 PM
Ok this may have been disscused already but all these people are saying that they have gone on Buzz,my question is this, is Buzz open or not? and if it is then why wasn't it supposed to open May 5? whats going on? :confused:

Animalia
03-06-2005, 01:45 PM
When Disneyland brings in a new attraction my understanding is that they test the attraction before alowing anyone to actually ride it. Once thier satisfied it wont go berzerk or something they have unofficial, unannounced openings allowing the park guests who happen to be there at the time to try the ride out. These are called "Soft Openings". It allows the CMs to get some practice in on the ride and helps locate bugs and glitches in the system before the official opening. I think it also lets Imagineers get early feed back from the guest about their experience on the ride so any alterations can be made. Last I heard the "official" opening of the attraction is May 5th but that may have changed.

stan4d_steph
03-06-2005, 02:29 PM
It's in the "Soft Open" phase. This allows the ride operators to train and lets the engineers work out any kinks in the ride system. With a soft open, the ride isn't open all day, so you might catch it open, you might not depending on when you try.

Ace
03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
I am confused about one part of Buzz... Are you able to control the way your car spins or is it predefined like the HM?

Captain Josh
03-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Yes, you can control where your pods/cars face. Though it is hard to remember to do so once you get concentrated on the shooting.

Viva La Disney
03-06-2005, 02:47 PM
When Disneyland brings in a new attraction my understanding is that they test the attraction before alowing anyone to actually ride it. Once thier satisfied it wont go berzerk or something they have unofficial, unannounced openings allowing the park guests who happen to be there at the time to try the ride out. These are called "Soft Openings". It allows the CMs to get some practice in on the ride and helps locate bugs and glitches in the system before the official opening. I think it also lets Imagineers get early feed back from the guest about their experience on the ride so any alterations can be made. Last I heard the "official" opening of the attraction is May 5th but that may have changed.

It all makes sense know,thanks! :D

Ace
03-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, you can control where your pods/cars face. Though it is hard to remember to do so once you get concentrated on the shooting.

Geez, that was a fast response. ;)

Anyway, I thought there was a single rider line? Are you supposed to struggle with the stranger next to you over the joystick?

bradk
03-06-2005, 02:52 PM
i haven't seen anything about a single rider line, but i doubt you'll HAVE to be teamed up with a stranger. especially since most people are in pairs anyway and wouldn't want to be broken up. i believe in the video recently posted, there was a person riding by themself.

i believe the whole point to a single rider line is to be able to actually fill the cars.

Captain Josh
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Geez, that was a fast response. ;)

Anyway, I thought there was a single rider line? Are you supposed to struggle with the stranger next to you over the joystick?
If there was one, I didn't see it. I said I was flying solo, (wacky Captain speak, I'm usually in my own character, whether I'm dressed up or not. BELIEVE THE DREAM!) and I got my own car. The whole spinning thing felt a but under-utilized to me, but I guess swinging around to hit past targets is useful. With that said, I think the ride could have used a few more targets on the "other" side of the ride, away from the obvious, prominent targets to force the riders to choose exactly what they are shooting at.

Ace
03-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Alright, I don't know where I got that information, then. Thanks!

disneyguy247
03-06-2005, 03:20 PM
If there was one, I didn't see it. I said I was flying solo, (wacky Captain speak, I'm usually in my own character, whether I'm dressed up or not. BELIEVE THE DREAM!) and I got my own car. The whole spinning thing felt a but under-utilized to me, but I guess swinging around to hit past targets is useful. With that said, I think the ride could have used a few more targets on the "other" side of the ride, away from the obvious, prominent targets to force the riders to choose exactly what they are shooting at.

yea, i agree. they most definitely need to add more targets, especially in the last room of the ride(one target!)

Captain Josh
03-06-2005, 03:28 PM
yea, i agree. they most definitely need to add more targets, especially in the last room of the ride(one target!)

Well I wouldn't say the FINAL room should have more targets, it's a good cooling off point, to get off last shots then stow away the blaster.

It just bugged me that in the initial rooms, you have all the targets on one side, and an empty wall on the other. It doesn't feel so much like a "spin" mechanic, as much as a "rotate to get a better shot" mechanic. The need to go in full circle isn't present, if you ask me. I expected to have rather good reason to go full-tilt-boogie. Instead, I'm trying to concentrate as much fire as I can on a single angry robot. Well, it IS called Buzz Lightyear's "Astro Blasters", as opposed to WDW's "Space Ranger Spin"...so maybe it's supposed to have less full 360 rotations.

But I sound nit-picky. I'm really not. I love the ride already, despite only going on once. I can't wait to bring the rest of my "team".

disneyguy247
03-06-2005, 04:07 PM
if the ride had three times as many targets, it would be three times better.

cstephens
03-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Ok this may have been disscused already but all these people are saying that they have gone on Buzz,my question is this, is Buzz open or not? and if it is then why wasn't it supposed to open May 5? whats going on? :confused:

Buzz is in soft openings/previews, which means that it's open generally, but it might be closed at any moment, so don't bet money that it will be open when you're there. The official opening date is March 17. I don't know if it was ever scheduled to be part of the May 5th activities, but I've read about the opening to be Spring/March of 2005 for some time now.

Here's the sign that's currently in front of the attraction (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/DLR/buzz.jpg).

Since there's one space for 2 or 3 people rather than individual seats, I can't imagine they'd do a single rider line. It would be like having a total stranger sitting with you if you were on Toad or Peter Pan.

And I don't think the spinning of the vehicle is that big a deal since you can take the gun out of the holster and just turn around yourself.

Ace
03-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Since there's one space for 2 or 3 people rather than individual seats, I can't imagine they'd do a single rider line. It would be like having a total stranger sitting with you if you were on Toad or Peter Pan.

And I don't think the spinning of the vehicle is that big a deal since you can take the gun out of the holster and just turn around yourself.

Exactly. That's what I was thinking but in the back of my mind I kept remembering something about a single rider line.

arielova
03-06-2005, 10:31 PM
I went on this ride yesterday. I even got a fast pass for it. But by the time my fast pass time had come, the ride had shut down. Later that day I did get on however. It's a cute ride. I got 11,600 points. That I believe is an L2 or L3............Anyways I liked it a lot. :D

They are little bright green buggies for the cars with only 2 seats in each. The spin lever is in the middle, so I suppose if you went on with someone you don't know it would be awkward as to who would spin the car. Someone would need to as there are "Z's" all around you. In front and in back of you.

ToursbabeC3po
03-06-2005, 11:09 PM
I went on it twice tonight and I loved it! The park was packed for a Sunday! Lines were very long you would think it was a three day weekend!
((((((((((((((hugs))))))))
Toursbabe

TOTFan
03-07-2005, 07:33 AM
I liked being able to spin the car, I rode it alone and thought it helped alot, First time out L5, got tons of points. It guess all the video games in my life have finally paid off. Wait was about 80 minutes yesterday, but worth it.

diztut
03-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Went on the ride 3/6. I think there's too few targets and scenes. I like the buggies, especially laser guns. They aren't anchored onto the buggy like at WDW. Well, Disneyland needs to put more targets and scenes. :p

CONNCR
03-07-2005, 12:54 PM
I also rode yesterday, twice. It was a lot of fun. The first time through I only got 1400 points :( , but considering I was also holding my 20 month old son and my first time, not too bad :rolleyes:

The second time I got 41,400. Again, not great. I did find the "hidden" targets in the warp room. it sounds like there are at least four targets in that room, with two on the ceiling as well.

This ride, above all others at DL, has the re-rideability factor that will be sure to keep the line long. I will be there many times myself.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-07-2005, 01:07 PM
The AP website says it opens March 17th. That is our last day of our trip next week so I hope they stick to that.

Mukta
03-07-2005, 01:53 PM
It might be open during your whole trip. There was signage in front yesterday saying that it would officially open on the 17th but that this was a sneak preview. I rode it twice and loved it. I saw some little boys who were pretty excited so I think your boys will love it too. I rode alone, so I was shooting with both hands. I got to level 3 with both of my hands. The AA of Buzz in the queue is amazing. I think your boys will be awestruck by him. He is very large and lifelike.

Saddlesore Swanson
03-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Blastin' away with two guns a la John Woo flicks is cool, but be aware: it splits your score! :geek: