PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain

kohl
03-06-2005, 11:44 AM
My dad had been on Splash Mountain once with my kids. He said never again.
Chicken, I know. Anyway, my parents are coming with us this April and my kids want Papa to go on again so they can get a picture of him on it. He was wondering how steep the drop actually is. I was hoping if he saw it wasn't that bad maybe he would go on it one more time.

bradk
03-06-2005, 11:48 AM
reportedly, 52.5 feet, about 47 degrees and 40 mph.

SCUBAbe
03-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I believe it was one of the steepest with the sharpest drop angel at one time. It used to freal me out, but they more you go on it the less of a big deal it is. ..and that part is over really quick anyway..:)

kohl
03-06-2005, 12:13 PM
My dad just can't handle the rides too much. We got him on Tower of Terror once, and he said that was the scarriest ride he has ever been on.
We keep trying to get him by saying "Your grandkids REALLY want you to go on it for the picture."

kristen
03-06-2005, 12:28 PM
ya gotta love the guilt method...lol...anyway, it might help for him to know the mechanics of it all, so maybe tell him that Tower of Terror is actually not a free fallingsystem butrather a design which has machines to pull you up really fast and puch you down faster than the speed of gravity, which is why you can rise a little, you never free fall and there are plenty of back up systems...ask him how much disneyland hates to be sued, and compare that to the safety measures they would take to assure you don't get hurt, let alone die.Aswell, Splash Mountina is on a track when you go down the big dip, you're not actually falling, you connected and can't flip or anything...it's not so bad when you take away the mystery...

TOTFan
03-06-2005, 12:34 PM
The mind can play many tricks on us and make us think worse is really happening.

sjcivilady
03-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Tell him to watch the drop and count how many seconds - it's like 2 or something. Then when he goes down to count the seconds - you can tell yourself "it's almost over" and it is! I really hate roller coasters with drops like that, but wanted to go on it and now I go on it all the time. I think the worst part is the few seconds just before you go over. He can also get used to fast motion by riding the train first, that can help - I have to do that before Space Mtn or I lose my bearing and it's not fun. I just went on ToT last Monday for the first time - it was pretty scary - I came off shaking like a leaf. Felt like the long drops would never end :eek: Plus if he has done ToT, Splash should be a piece of cake!

leota's necklace
03-06-2005, 01:09 PM
My dad had been on Splash Mountain once with my kids. He said never again.
Chicken, I know. Anyway, my parents are coming with us this April and my kids want Papa to go on again so they can get a picture of him on it. He was wondering how steep the drop actually is. I was hoping if he saw it wasn't that bad maybe he would go on it one more time.

Did he ride before the new logs were installed? i.e., the ones without the high cushion backs?

The ride used to scare the dickens out of me but through sheer repetition I learned to love it...and then the new logs went in and I wondered what the heck I was scared of. It took a lot of the scary-float feeling out...which is kinda a shame.

kohl
03-06-2005, 02:23 PM
The only time he was on was March last year.
He knows the mechanics of most things since he is a buidler. We were telling him it wasn't that steep and he kept saying it was too steep.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-06-2005, 02:34 PM
reportedly, 52.5 feet, about 47 degrees and 40 mph.

BradK...you always have the answers to questions like this!!! Do you work at the park??

bradk
03-06-2005, 02:49 PM
ha. well, thanks for the support. actually, i've never been to the park (first time will be in may), so i've just managed to sacrifice having a life for knowing how to consult with google and reading a lot of books to help pass the time until i can experience all the stuff i claim to know something about.

itig
03-06-2005, 08:39 PM
Here's another Splash question...this is my favorite ride at the park and the drop is the best part of it. I always raise my hands, but this is what I was wondering. Does anyone know the clearance at the bottom as you enter the little tunnel? I always pull my hands down before we get there, but would love to keep them up to the bitter end if I know I won't lose them :) I'm assumimg there's plenty of clearance, but never wanted to test it out myself...

RemainSeatedPlease
03-06-2005, 11:20 PM
lol, I don't know the clearance, but I know you can keep them up till the end, and on Big Thunder as well, it took me many tries (afraid I would hit) and it is possible...lol :D

TempoNZ
03-07-2005, 12:29 AM
People leaving severed hands all over Splash Mountain really doesn't do anything for the "Happiest place on earth" campaign they are keen on. You can bet they have done and redon the numbers to make sure that your hands will not hit the tunnel in a sitting position.

It's funny how the brain plays tricks on you (For protection I guess). You "know" in you heart that you won't ihit it but the brain would rather not take that chance and takes over. I guess it is kind of like jumping out a plain of Bungi jumping for the first few times. Physically jumping is easy... meantally it's pretty tough that first time i can tell you.

sediment
03-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Kevin Yee's site lists top speed at 30.2 mph.

See here (http://www.ultimateorlando.com/archive/space/anaheim.htm)
Again, it's not the speed; it's the acceleration. And by that, I mean the change in velocity. And by that I mean the direction portion of velocity.

Of course, this info is if you were asking about Space Mountain. Never mind if you're discussing Splash Mountain.