PDA

View Full Version : People Mover track

Pages : [1] 2

Disney Vault
03-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Did everyone see they have been painting the people mover

They are sanding it down and then repainting it.

Here is a sanded down part (very ugly)
http://www.mousehub.com/pictorials/03052005/images/2.jpg

Here is a painted section (white and blue :D )
http://www.mousehub.com/pictorials/03052005/images/3.jpg

Another great picture
http://www.mousehub.com/pictorials/03052005/images/5.jpg

I wonder if they have any plans to use that track soon. Otherwise wouldn't they just tear it down instead of fix it up?

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-05-2005, 03:10 PM
I wonder if they have any plans to use that track soon. Otherwise wouldn't they just tear it down instead of fix it up?

I think the track looks great with the new paint. I would really like to see something done with it though. How much would it cost for them to put back in a attraction like the people mover?

bradk
03-05-2005, 03:47 PM
the people mover was a death machine! it's singlehandledly probably responsible for more deaths than any other attraction. makes btmrr look like a rescue operation.

disney_leonard
03-05-2005, 03:51 PM
the people mover was a death machine! it's singlehandledly probably responsible for more deaths than any other attraction. makes btmrr look like a rescue operation.

Joking right? I know a CM got killed at CofP but People Mover?

RemainSeatedPlease
03-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Joking right? I know a CM got killed at CofP but People Mover?

2 or 3 people were killed on people mover I belive

bradk
03-05-2005, 03:59 PM
i wish i was kidding. i think 2-3 is a modest estimate. and those are just the ones you know. what about all the loners who didn't have a family to come searching for them? it's death by disney.

i'm sure the CoP death was much more gruesome tho (she got dismembered somehow, didn't she?)

Big Thunder is widely accepted as being the leading killer nowadays, but i still think it pales in comparison.

disney_leonard
03-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Actually she was crushed when she tried to cross from one theater to the next while in motion. They since added soft panels to prevent this from happening.

A check of Rideaccidents.com archive from 1972-1997 showed only a death on the Matterhorn. The People Mover was in operation from July '67 to August '95 so I can't say what happened from '67 to '72.

bradk
03-05-2005, 04:09 PM
yeah, i think it was a bit more complicated than that. like she was leaning against the wall when it was moving and something about how the direction it's supposed to go in or something like that. but i thought the death was a little bit more graphic than just being crushed. not that the details matter of course.

sleepyjeff
03-05-2005, 04:38 PM
i wish i was kidding. i think 2-3 is a modest estimate. and those are just the ones you know. what about all the loners who didn't have a family to come searching for them? it's death by disney.

Sorry, but you are wrong. 2 is the actual number and both occured in the superspeed tunnel. Both "victims" were trying to go from car to car so there really is no way one can fault the Peoplemover with their deaths unless maybe a sign should have been placed at the entrance stating that an IQ greater then 14 was required to ride the attraction :rolleyes:

bradk
03-05-2005, 04:43 PM
as i said, those are the ones you know of. i still stand behind my theory that it's a killing machine.. almost possessed... the people eater.

oh, and i looked up the other one too.. the attraction had become america sings when she was crushed.

sleepyjeff
03-05-2005, 04:48 PM
http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/deaths.htm

OK...

Mission Control
03-05-2005, 04:56 PM
A more recent photo...

- http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4153099&a=31667384&p=71171780

I Heart Disneyland!
03-05-2005, 05:50 PM
I miss the Peoplemover. I had no idea so many people were killed on it. Scary! I remember once when we were at DL, my kids were probably 7 & 9 at the time, the ride broke down and we had to walk that track. My daughter was holding on to me for dear life, and practically crawling along the track. Feels REALLY high up there when you are walking the track with no railing. (There was a rail on part of it.)

stitchlvr
03-05-2005, 06:01 PM
The Peoplemover was not a dangerous ride. The people who were killed on it died because they got out of their car. I rode on that ride probably at least 100 times as a kid and there was nothing dangerous about it.

TempoNZ
03-05-2005, 07:29 PM
I think you'll find that even Disney will find it hard to "hide" a death at any of their Theme Parks family or no family. By the time you have the various witnesses, CMs, guests etc then all the medicl staffed that would be involved (at least a Dr to sign death certificate) etc you just hide something like that.

SteveK
03-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Read David Koenig's Mouse Tales. He has a chapter called "The Tragic Kingdom" where he details most of the deaths at Disneyland including a couple on the peoplemover. Overall, it a great, fun read about alot of the behind the scenes stuff at Disneyland. Also get the follow up, More Mouse Tales.
-Steve

sleepyjeff
03-05-2005, 09:45 PM
The Peoplemover was not a dangerous ride.

Actually, the fact that is was not a dangerous ride contributed, in part, to the mindset of those who got killed on it....I am sure they would not have attempted to change cars on a ride such as Space Mountain.

FantasmicFanatic
03-05-2005, 10:52 PM
We can we do to convince Disney to bring back the Peoplemover? City Hall? Petition? It was my favorate ride ever :(

FF

stitchlvr
03-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Actually, the fact that is was not a dangerous ride contributed, in part, to the mindset of those who got killed on it....I am sure they would not have attempted to change cars on a ride such as Space Mountain.

However, they still repeated the "stay seated at all times and keep your hands and arms in the car" as I remember. I guess they could have put seat belts in, but that seems a little silly and probably wouldn't have helped. Two of the reported deaths were on the Matterhorn because seatbelts were removed (or possibly never fastened in one case). That's obviously a ride where you wouldn't want to stand up, yet someone did. I guess what I am trying to say is that people are going to do what they are going to do and to blame the ride in this case is unwarrented.

sleepyjeff
03-06-2005, 09:37 AM
However, they still repeated the "stay seated at all times and keep your hands and arms in the car" as I remember.......... I guess what I am trying to say is that people are going to do what they are going to do and to blame the ride in this case is unwarrented.

I agree completely.

see earlier post above..........." Both "victims" were trying to go from car to car so there really is no way one can fault the Peoplemover with their deaths unless maybe a sign should have been placed at the entrance stating that an IQ greater then 14 was required to ride the attraction"

DisneylandForever
03-06-2005, 10:07 AM

This dude has posted this before. He has to be kidding (I hope he's kidding!). Like many of you already stated, it is only responsible for 2 deaths, neither of which are Disney's fault. But back to the original post...

Living in Nor Cal I definitely hear less than the locals do, but what I did hear was that there are no immediate plans to do anything with the Peoplemover track. I think they are just painting it to match the new color scheme in Tomorrowland. I did read once on savedisney.com that there is a possibilty of the Peoplemover returning sometime around 2008. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that one!

stitchlvr
03-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I agree completely.

see earlier post above..........." Both "victims" were trying to go from car to car so there really is no way one can fault the Peoplemover with their deaths unless maybe a sign should have been placed at the entrance stating that an IQ greater then 14 was required to ride the attraction"

I completely agree with you as well. As a child, I realized that I needed to stay in the cars. I wish they could bring it back in some updated form. I loved this ride. The "monorail" at Bonfante Gardens is somewhat of a copy, but it just doesn't work for me. I hope it comes back in 2008. There are at least two of us keeping our fingers crossed.

Rouxe1688
03-06-2005, 12:34 PM
make that three people, my fingers are crossed too. i really like the TTA in WDW, there's never a line, u just hop on and relax.

Flint
03-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Per a similar discussion on another board, even if they were to plan a new attraction, the track is in such horrible shape, they'd have to tear it down and completely rebuild it.

You'd think engineers would realize that running a vehicle at 35mph on a track designed for 5mph would cause some issues... especially considering the new vehicle was twice as heavy as the previous one.

*smack forehead* duh, Becky!

Disney Vault
03-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Then why don' thtye just get rid of the track? I think it is stupid for them to keep it there if they can't even use it.