PDA

View Full Version : Trip report 2/27-3/1

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Day 1
After a quick traffic free trip we arrived at the GCH around 11:30 am, valet parked the car, mother in law splitting the room cost so we thought we would splurge! Registered, checked the luggage, loaded up the kiddos and headed straight to Disneyland!!!!!! Walked right onto the Jungle Cruise, had a very funny skipper, but he didn't point out the back side of water, first time I have had that happen. My daughter noticed the pole and the man were missing, but the rhino was still there with the pants on his horn. So happy the guns are back. Got a couple of fast passes for Indy and we were off.

Braved the mad horde in Adventure land and went over to Pooh, the kids and hubby rode it twice, they love winnie the pooh and the baby kept pointing shooting, "poobay, poobay". Daughter very disappointed Splash wasn't open, we had to explain to her that since we too come more than once a year she will get to ride on it again soon. Met some friends at RRPP for lunch, had the pizza, which is okay, we all love the chicken fussilli but the line was much too long.

After lunch went back to Indy, bypassed the front of the que but still had a 30 minute wait. What a great ride with all the effects working and the new snake is awesome. We rode it in December, but it kept stopping throughout the ride, really a bummer. Went back to the Jungle Cruise, thought we would get in one more ride before it closed for refurb. Had a really boring skipper. Took the kids to Tom Sawyer's Island, it was my daughters first time there, I don't know why we had bypassed it in the past, she loved it, almost had to drag her back to the raft.'

The kids were pretty worn down by then so we went back to the hotel and called the bell desk for our luggage, it took over an hour for the bags to be delivered to the room. I have never had to wait that long at any hotel. Our room had a DTD view and was way down at the end across from Naples. Everytime I have stayed at the GCH we have had rooms about as far from the lobby as you can get. We had originally booked rooms at the DLH, but my mother in law really wanted to join us and had never stayed at the GCH. I like the GCH, but for 5 people the room is a little small and when your room is that far down the hall you really aren't saving that much in walking distance. I do love the close proximity to whitewater snacks, and the lobby and hearthstone lounge are beautiful, love riding GRR with swimsuits under our clothes, coming back to the hotel wet and jumping right into the jacuzzi. But we also love the DLH, for the money I prefer the DLH.

After naps for the kids and some shopping for mom we headed back to the park, stopped for corn dogs (huge and tasty) on mainstreet and made our way to Fantasyland to ride Dumbo and It's a small World. My son loves all the colors and sounds of IASW, he is almost 18 months and loves all that are bright and shiny. Went on Pirates, , my daughter's fav, and about 8:15 met up with our friends again and dashed over to California Adventure for the Electrical Parade.
Found an empty spot to stand near the corner across from PT fleas, got the kids settled and really had a great time. I haven't seen the parade in almost 20 years and had forgotten how magical it was. My husband kept ohhing and ahhing and both kids were just transfixed.

We found our way out of Cal Adventure after the MSEP, went back to the room, put the kids to bed with grandma and headed down to the hearthstone lounge for cocktails. Sat in front of the fire and just relaxed, it was a great first day, lines weren't too long, kids behaved really well, and best of all no rain.

rentayenta
03-05-2005, 05:57 AM
Wow! Great first day. I can't wait to read the rest.

I love the MSEP too. I cry everytime I see it.

dalhar35
03-05-2005, 07:21 AM
our bags took forever to be delivered to our room at the DLH. We called after waiting about 45 minutes and they said that we hadn't asked for our bags yet. I corrected them and told them that 45 minutes ago I was downstairs talking directly to them and at that time I gave my name and room # to have my bags delivered. About 5 minutes later a nice bellhop had our bags at the door. Probably just a mistake and one phone call took care of it. Thats what I liked about the DLH is any problem you have they usually take care of it right away.
Nice trip report-Thanks

stitchlvr
03-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Wow! Great first day. I can't wait to read the rest.

I love the MSEP too. I cry everytime I see it.

And here I thought I was the only one who cries at MSEP. I don't know why I do; I get so emotional every time I see it.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl, thanks for the trip report. I'll wait to read day 2.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-05-2005, 01:45 PM
The kids were up bright and early and raring to go long before the park opened. The baby, fresh from his bath, ran naked across the room climbed in his stroller pointed outside and said "go mouse, go mouse".
We headed down toward whitewater snacks with the intention of a quick meal and on the way noticed that Storytellers was almost completely empty. After a short debate we choose to have a splurge and enjoy the breakfast there, we all ended up with the breakfast buffet, luckily the baby eats free.

As always I thought it was very good, the selection is limited but we all enjoy the food, dd had the waiter bring her some Mickey waffles and Chip and Dale spent quite a bit of time at our table. Always happy that there is smoked salmon on the buffett. After breakfast we headed straight to the park and got there right as the rope drop was happening. Attempted to get to Peter Pan, but by the time we got there the line was all ready over a half hour long ( I assume that has something to do with early entry). Rode most of the rides in Fantasyland, except PP and Snow White, dd is terrified by it, loves the movie hates the ride. Went on a Alice twice before the line became too long . Met up again with our friends who were visiting the park and rode Pirates, the Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder and the Matterhorn. Took another ride on Indy and this is the first time I had ever noticed that some of the dialogue is different on the ride, I had heard there could be many ride configurations but this was the first time I had experienced a difference. The fences were up for the jungle cruise and the water was all ready being drained out. Headed to the Bengal BBQ for lunch.
This was our first time trying the skewers and while I thought they were good, the jalepeno pretzel was sinful. DS went back to the hotel with grandma and we took our daughter over to DCA to ride GRR, she went twice once with just DH and once with both of us. She was SOAKED by the time she got off the ride, made a quick trip back to the hotel, got her into dry clothes and convinced her to take a nap. While the kids and dad were napping , mother in law and I scooted over to DCA to ride TOT, she had never been on it before. I love the ride, I dont think she was really thrilled, in the picture she looked like she was going to lose her lunch. No line for Soaring so we rode that then when back to the hotel to get the rest of the gang. Back to DCA we went so the kids could play in Flik's Fun fair, they really love it there and they got to ride everything at least twice. Dh and I took a ride on California Screaming, it is really an awesome roller coaster, then back to DL for another round of IASW and the teacups. We left DL around 7 and headed to the ESPN Zone as always it was packed and the kids were really hungry so we went to Yamabuki. First time there and we will be back, just a bit on the pricey side but the food was very good and they were very nice to the children even when the baby decided he had had enough and started throwing his noodles.

Sent the kids and Dh back to the hotel and headed up to shop with MIL, we didn't realize until it was too late that it was Cast Blast eve and the lines for some of the shops (plus it was AP Patina night) were nuts. Ended up waiting in line at Marcellines for chocolate caramel marshmallows and strawberries for almost 20 minutes. A little disappointed that the pool at the GCH closes at 9 it would have been nice to sit in the jacuzzi for a bit in the evening, but by the time you return from the park, it is all ready closed. The lounge was as always nice, but very load there was a big convention at the hotel and many of them were having drinks in the bar and the lobby.
THe kids were so tired they were asleep as soon as we put them down.

rentayenta
03-05-2005, 01:54 PM
And here I thought I was the only one who cries at MSEP. I don't know why I do; I get so emotional every time I see it.

I am such a dope that I can barely watch the video clip on the DL website without tearing up :rolleyes:

On with the report.... :)

rentayenta
03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
The naked baby story has me cracking up. Kids are so funny sometimes :D

It sounds like you had an awesome trip!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Totally awesome and there was only one toddler meltdown, in the hotel when we were trying to comb her hair, so it truly was a magical trip.

Day three is short and I will be finishing it up tonight.

Earkid
03-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Loved the nekkid toddler story. LOL!! Some people say kids that young don't get much out of DL but I disagree. Can't wait for Day 3.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Woke up to a lovely Mickey Mouse wake up call, dd so excited to have Mickey calling her in the morning. Took a walk to whitewater snacks and brought back a bag full of food. Everyone agreed that the breakfast burritos are quite delicious. Spilled coffee on myself walking back to the room so I stopped at Acorn gifts for a new shirt, while looking for just the right top, spotted what must be the last stash of Easter Mickey antennae toppers, bought two.

I have to say as annoyed as I was at the GCH for lagging getting our luggage to the room , I really do appreciate what they did for us the last day of our stay. My DH woke up with a blinding migraine, I called the front desk to ask for late check out and the girl I spoke with was very kind and was able to extend our check out to 1 pm.

The kids, myself and grandma headed to the park to get there early for pictures and autographs before the rope drop. We waited in line and got both Mickey and Minnie, DS loves the character, from afar. He kept pointing a saying "mimi mouse, mimi mouse" as soon as he got close, complete hysteria.

Again, straight to Fantasyland, rode Dumbo, which my DS absolutely loves, and Casey JR, my daughter kept trying to ride in the caboose, but was beat to it both times we rode. DH found us around 11:30 and we headed to toontown, rode RR, and Gadgets Go Coaster three times. While on Gadget, my daughter was lucky enough to get the front row, my husband said he was looking around and noticed the little boy behind them sticking his tongue out at my daughter he asked the mother"did she stick her tongue out at him?" the lady replied "oh, would you like to let us sit in front". Strange. Left Toontown and made our way to the Teacups, rode them twice. It was starting to get pretty busy for a Tuesday morning so we decided to do some shopping and hit the road. Stopped at the Candy Palace for handmade Easter Eggs and other goodies. Ate lunch at Tortilla Joe's take out window, very good, we were surprised at the quality.

Grabbed our bags from the bell desk, retrieved the car, waved goodbye to Mickey Mouse and headed for home.

Couple of firsts on this trip, kids had never been on the Storybook land boats, or to Tom Sawyers Island, we had enough time and the weather was nice enough to do them both this time. Found some less expensive places to eat and just had a really great time.

Can't wait for our next trip, DD is all ready marking the days off on her calendar. I'm marking the days until December when I get my next Disney Christmas fix and a couple of nights at the DLH.

stitchlvr
03-05-2005, 08:26 PM
The kids, myself and grandma headed to the park to get there early for pictures and autographs before the rope drop. We waited in line and got both Mickey and Minnie, DS loves the character, from afar. He kept pointing a saying "mimi mouse, mimi mouse" as soon as he got close, complete hysteria.

My daughter was the same way when she was a toddler. She would get really excited to see the characters from far away and run up to them, but when she got close, she would start to cry. That happened on our first trip with her (18 months). Luckily, by our next trip, she was over it. It was not a stage which lasted long.

Sounds like a great trip. I enjoyed reading the report!

Crazy4DL
03-05-2005, 08:38 PM
"Couple of firsts on this trip, kids had never been on the Storybook land boats, or to Tom Sawyers Island, we had enough time and the weather was nice enough to do them both this time. Found some less expensive places to eat and just had a really great time.

Can't wait for our next trip, DD is all ready marking the days off on her calendar. I'm marking the days until December when I get my next Disney Christmas fix and a couple of nights at the DLH.[/QUOTE]"

Walt'sBirthdayGirl, I really enjoyed your trip report - sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time and will have lots of happy memories to cherish for years. thanks, rrazey

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
03-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the great trip report! I love all the details...I need to live vicariously though MPers for the next few months...

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the great trip report! I love all the details...I need to live vicariously though MPers for the next few months...

October will be here sooner than you think!

Where is your brick going to be located?

WITron
03-07-2005, 09:24 PM
We discovered the chocolate marshmallows on our trip last year in April and I can't wait to get some more when we go in Dec.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-08-2005, 01:46 PM
We''ll be there in December around the same time as you, at Christmas time there are snowman marshmallows that are dipped in white chocolate, those are the bomb.

WITron
03-08-2005, 08:39 PM
Those sound delicious I will have to keep my eye out for them when we are there. I love White Chocolate.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
03-08-2005, 09:06 PM
October will be here sooner than you think!

Where is your brick going to be located?

I haven't gotten the confirmation & map yet--I just know that it's supposed to go in by July. Maybe I can get a Padder to check it out for me after it's installed. :)