PDA

View Full Version : Worst hotel/motels?

pokeypoke
03-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Someone I work with told me they were planning a trip to DLR. They asked me what were the worst hotel/motels as far as "good neighbor" hotels so that they could steer clear of them when deciding how much they could afford. I didn't have an answer because out of all the hotel/motels (DLH, GCH, PPH, HoJo's, CCI and HI at the Park) I have stayed at, I would not consider any of them to be awful. Can anyone out there give me some advice to give her? If I'm not mistaken, she is watching what she spends but doesn't want to end up in a horrible dive. She's wondering about Anaheim Plazza Hotel, Red Roof Inn, Jolly Roger and a few others. Most of the ones she has inquired about have very little reviews, if any at all.

Thanks,
Pokey :)

bradk
03-04-2005, 04:54 PM
check the reviews section on here and sites like tripadvisor.com. travelocity.com also has reviews posted

SCUBAbe
03-04-2005, 06:35 PM
I've only stayed at HoJo's, Park inn Anaheim and carousel. I would have to be pretty desperate to stay at carousel again. Hotels we plan to stay in are the tropicana and the candy cane. :)

goober7011
03-04-2005, 06:53 PM
The only are only three of them that are memorabably bad and its been a few years since we ahve returned to these motels (last trip was in Coast Anaheim). One was the Jolly Roger, you could hear the plumming all through the night. Another was Desert inn in which there was a "gift" in the swimming pool (assumebly not the hotel's fault, but ewwww). The last one was BW Stovalles and the flor was black and it stained all of our socks.
Hope this helped
Goober

Nancy
03-04-2005, 07:42 PM
I agree with Jolly Roger and ESPECIALLY the Desert Inn and Suites being bad and I also agree that the Tropicana is very good. (Do check out the reviews tho :))

wendyxo
03-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Castle Inn and Suites is just awful! Avoid it at all costs!

MsYumiBr
03-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Castle Inn and Suites is just awful! Avoid it at all costs!
I second that. I knew some of the staff a long time ago and *they* even said not to stay there.

PsychDoc
03-05-2005, 06:48 AM
I've only stayed at HoJo's, Park inn Anaheim and carousel. I would have to be pretty desperate to stay at carousel again. Hotels we plan to stay in are the tropicana and the candy cane. :)

I stayed at the Carosel last August and it wasn't bad, not great, but not bad. Very close to the park. The room was clean and very large. Bed was comfy. We had the last room in the corner, on top--that may have made a difference. No traffic/noise. Took a nap in the middle of the day. Left the air running so it would be cool when we returned--it was freezing. So I know (in our room at least) the air/heat works. It was the quickest walk ever to the park. With waiting to cross the street, at most 3-4 min to the gate. Can't beat that. Having said that, I usually stay on property at the Paradise Pier. I love the themeing and view. We stayed at the Carosel as it was a very last min trip and that's all we could get at the height of Summer. I too have heard good things about HoJos. If we stay off property again, I think I'll try that one.

Monte Cristo
03-05-2005, 09:40 AM
I've only stayed at HoJo's, Park inn Anaheim and carousel. I would have to be pretty desperate to stay at carousel again.

Care to expand on that? My family has a trip booked there this December (Carousel) and I'm curious if we made the right decision or not.

SCUBAbe
03-05-2005, 09:56 AM
Care to expand on that? My family has a trip booked there this December (Carousel) and I'm curious if we made the right decision or not.
we stayed there for one night last July. The beds sagged in the middles and one bed was slanted/tilted/ not even. The carpet was stained and obviously patched in places. The room was like a sauna. Very hot and muggy and the air conditioners there are swamp like coolers. So, when it gets humid out they do not work well. The pillows were flat, hard and bumpy. They were the worst pillows I have ever seen at a hotel. The shower curtain would wrap around us when we tried to shower and then the water would flood the bathroom. The only way to avoid that was to have the shower turned on very low....which sucked. They told us we could watch the fireworks by the pool or in the breakfast room. The pool was very crowded and people were allowing their children to scream loudly and some were crying...so we headed down to the breakfast room. We had a good view of the fireworks, but the room was very hot and muggy. I just felt if they were telling people to use that room they would at least have the air on. We left there at 7am the next morning and were VERY happy to leave. We went to the paradise pier hotel after that. The PP seemed like paradise after the carousel....LOL

We stayed at the hotel next door to the carousel last time (the park inn anaheim) it is also pretty barebones, but the room was clean the beds were comfortable as well as the pillows and the shower worked properly..:) We're staying ther again next weekend. :) I'm really not a hotel snob. I've stayed at super 8's that had ants in the bathroom before and I would choose that room again over the carousel. :) I think it all boils down to the beds and pillows for me. If the pillows suck and I can't sleep and the beds are crappy then I'm going to hate the hotel. I'm there to sleep and if I can't get comfortable to sleep I will not be happy...

rentayenta
03-05-2005, 10:11 AM
[derial] I always bring my own pillows. I cannot sleep without my pillows! [derail]

I have friends who stayed at The Portofino and loved it. Same with the Coast Anaheim.

My SIL stays at the Super 8 and likes it.

I read about the Little Boy Blue and that it was horrible. I don't think I've ever seen this motel.

stitchlvr
03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
The only hotel that I've tried (I always stay on Harbor near the crosswalk) that I will never go back to is the Del Sol. After staying at this hotel for years and years (originally when it was a Days Inn), the last experience we had there would cause me not to go back. We had a nest of bees in our room. Now I know that this isn't under the control of the hotel. What was truly upsetting was the treatment we received when we told them about it. They really did not do anything to correct the situation, although they made cursory attemps at fixing the problem. We were treated as if the situation was our fault (Did they think we brought the bees with us?) The were nesting in the bathroom light and would come out in the early mornings. They ended up taking some money off one of the room charges (minimal), but never an apology for the way we treated even though I wrote a follow up letter of complaint. I never got any response. So even though this was the hotel I always recommended, after that last stay, I will never go back there (unless they change owners again).

kisroo
03-05-2005, 11:24 AM
We've stayed at the GCH, CCI, Carousel, HoJo, and a couple "free" nights at the Anaheim Plaza (I've stayed at Stovall's over 15 yrs ago and hated it! Don't know about it now.)
This is how I would rank them best to worst in terms of room and service quality:
1. Obviously the GCH. We stayed concierge and it was heavenly!

2. Candy Cane Inn. We love this hotel. Great breakfast, way comfy beds and nice staff. The room is so sound-proof that even when we've been placed close to the stairs, the noise hasn't bothered us. The CCI has a nice, family hotel feel that we like as well. It's like a little oasis on Harbor Blvd IMHO. The 'garden' feel is very soothing.

3. HoJo. This is close to a tie with the CCI....We also love this hotel and would stay there more often over the CCI if they offered a breakfast deal. We absolutely loved the room size, the wonderful staff (who gave us great personal service each and every day), and the park view. We didn't like the pool area close to our building at all and didn't use it once because of that. And we were too lazy to walk to the other pool area. It's very economical value.

4. Anaheim Plaza. We stayed here through a "promotional" trip from sitting in on a TrendWest presentation. I had heard scary things about this place, so I called the hotel to talk with the manager. I shared my concerns with her (ant problem, noisy, not clean). She assured me that yes, they had a problem with ants due to the "garden" but that they had began to spray on a regular basis. She also indicated that an upstairs room in a back bldg would be best to avoid ants or noise. When we arrived, the staff was very friendly;even though there was a "problem" with the promotion voucher, the night manager didn't make us feel bad and simply stated that he would work it out with the promotion company. I thought that was very professional of him. He also gave us vouchers for breakfast, which consisted of your basic pastries, bagels, and some fruit. It was all you could eat (which pleased hubby) and they had strong enough coffee to please me. I was pleasantly surprised with our basic, but clean, room.

5. Carousel. I wouldn't give this hotel a second chance even if we were offered a great deal or a free stay. The carpets were so dirty in our room, I wouldn't take my socks off! (and then my socks were black...but better my socks than my bare feet.) Poor shower pressure, sagging beds, and a laughable "breakfast"~one in which they mark off your room once you get your measly piece of toast and one piece of fruit. Ick. The staff was *not* friendly at all and the rooms walls were paper thin. Like I said, I wouldn't stay there again for anything. I know that they have "updated" since we stayed, but I still wouldn't try it again.

Go HERE (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Hotels) for some good reviews! ;)
~kisroo:)

Hakuna Makarla
03-05-2005, 01:06 PM
we did the carousel and really liked it. it was clean, ( carpets to) and the room was real big. It was quiet and the best part was we were on the top floor and saw the fire works real well. The air conditioner was awsome and our room after a hot day in August ( we left it on and when we came back it was freezing) the staff was great and well our three days there was awsome.

MrsG
03-05-2005, 01:31 PM
I read about the Little Boy Blue and that it was horrible. I don't think I've ever seen this motel.
This place is on W. Katella - quite a walk from the park entrance. It doesn't look like a nice place.

I want to give a no vote to the Jolly Roger too. Just old with peeling paint/wallpaper, black caulk in the shower (no tub - important for kids), lumpy beds, flat pillows.

Look into the Anabella. I have friends that rave about it.

Zigen
03-05-2005, 05:44 PM
DO NOT STAY AT THE ALAMO INN...

We got a suite for 10 bucks last year during summer and it still was not worth it. They advertised they are right accross the street from disneyland but we ended up driving to the parking structure anyways. The room was dirty, bathroom dirtier. Pool was a joke, a 4 person max pool...