PDA

View Full Version : Off-site luxury hotels?

Tinkerbelle923
03-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Does anyone know of an off site Luxury hotel within walking distance of DLR

Specificly I am looking for a top notch concierge service, luxury suite,
amenities such as robes in the room and turn down service in the evening.

and before everyone sais it I am not that interested in the GCH.

the amenities just dont seem all that worth it to me ($$$) money is not to big of an issue, but the GCH is really over priced even by luxury hotel standards.

I would like to find something with a nice pool, lounge, and all the above amentities.

Thanks in advance

Opus1guy
03-04-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm not sure there are really any "luxury" hotels within walking distance of The Disneyland Resort. The Hilton has a nice Executive Level and Service, but I wouldn't even really consider that "luxury." There are no Intercontinental or Luxury Collection or Leading Hotels Of The World or St. Regis or those sorts of properties within walking distance.

You'd probably have to go all the way down to Newport Beach or Laguna Niguel/Dana Point to find true luxury properties.

Really, I'm afraid the Disneyland owned hotels have the closest level of service to "luxury" in the immediate area. And they have several pretty incredible Suites there. But you'll never get true world-class "luxury" service at any Disney hotel. IMHO.

CoasterChickie
03-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, as I said in another thread I think the Anaheim Sheraton is beautiful. We had a deluxe room that was huge . The beds were very comfy and made me think of the beds that they have in hotels in Switzerland. The room service food was really good. And I enjoyed walking all over the inside and the outside of the hotel. But I'm not sure if the hotel qualifies as "luxury" or not.

adriennek
03-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Specificly I am looking for a top notch concierge service, luxury suite, amenities such as robes in the room and turn down service in the evening.

There's a Marriott at the Convention Center that has Concierge Level rooms. I don't know what amenities they have in the rooms, but that might be an option. I've stayed there before and I think that a regular Marriott room is superior to the DLH rooms I've stayed in.

If you go to Costa Mesa, there's a Westin near South Coast Plaza but that's definitely not walking distance.

Adrienne

CrazyTrain
03-04-2005, 05:46 PM
The Hilton is fabulous! That's where my brother stayed (on the company's dime). It's just gorgeous... the lobby and his room. He said the service was great and they have the best pillows. He had a room on the top floor, not a suite but a big room w/a king (??) bed and couch. There was a lounge with free appetizers and soda. There was also a pool. And a GREAT view of Disneyland. :D

ucube
03-04-2005, 05:59 PM
I would have to agree.
To get a true luxury hotel, you'll have to go to Newport Beach or Laguna or elsewhere. The resort hotels are the closest to luxury that you're going to get around D'Land. The Sheraton and Hilton are NOT luxury. The Grand California is much closer to luxury.

adriennek
03-04-2005, 07:12 PM
The resort hotels are the closest to luxury that you're going to get around D'Land. The Sheraton and Hilton are NOT luxury. The Grand California is much closer to luxury.

I'll readily agree that the Sheraton and Hilton are not luxury. And I'll agree that GCH is closer to luxury. But "The Resort Hotels" -eh- I'd call the Marriott as at least as nice or nicer hotel than the DLH or the PPH.

I'm not a fan of the Anaheim Hilton at all- AT ALL- but I don't think that the PPH or DLH are of a higher caliber. They have the theming, but that's about it. For whatever reason, I've had some less than stellar experiences at those hotels. The only time I had a "good" experience was years ago when I was at the PPH on the Concierge Level- and that was a comp'd room to make up for a really bad experience on a previous visit.

The Marriott regular rooms have really nice comforters on the beds. Really nice. Their regular rooms have been quite comfortable in my frequent trips there.

Adrienne

Tinkerbelle923
03-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the advice so far, I'm trying to plan a trip for my mom, they always go to WDW and stay at the Yacht and beach resorts or the Grand Floridian, they always stay concierge. She is concidering DL this year ut wants the same luxury and service that they have found in Florida. To be honest the park is only a part of the draw, they go for the resort experience...an amazing pool (and we are talking themed to the hilt)
a great lounge (cocktails) and fantastic service.

She has asked for my help because I know DL so well, but my vacations always have a different focus (kids, rides, a relaxed pace, etc)
I'm just not very familiar with the Luxury service at DLR (or surounding)

So I rephrase my question...with the info I just gave you how can I make a 3 day trip at DLR compeat with a luxury WDW stay?????

Has anyone stayed at the GCH, DLH, or PP with the concierge or suite
as far as the off site hotel, thats what I thought but I had to try.

thanks in advance, I really would like them to go and have a magical time.

ETA: top notch conierge, turndown service, and robes are something that they really want in the room

kisroo
03-05-2005, 11:56 AM
We've stayed at the GCH concierge level. It sounds like this may be the closest to meeting what your mom is used to in terms of "luxury". The concierge lounge is nice and they have breakfast fare, then snacks/drinks through out the day. At 4:00, they had a wine/cheese service (it lasted until 7:00pm when we were there) and later in the evening, they have cookies.

We had nightly turn-down service with special little touches. The rooms had great spa-like toiletries, fluffy towels, robes and slippers. The bed was amazingly comfortable with nice pillows and decor. Disney-themed but subtle in most respects (a 'foresty' Snow White theme).

I'm sure if you talked with DL vacation planning, they could arrange for some nice, additional touches. They did for hubby and I.

The Eureka Springs Spa was pretty simple and was by no means what I would consider a "spa", but I do know that they would arrange for an in-room massage/treatment service.

As far as "eye candy" (which I think adds to the whole experience), the GCH is gorgous IMHO. Which, helps lend itself to being more luxurious of a hotel. We saw the inside of a suite room and would have to say that type of room would be the creme de la creme of DLR.

We've never stayed at WDW, so I can't answer your comparison question. Sorry.

Hope this helps.
~kisroo:)

Tinkerbelle923
03-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Thank you Kisroo, I have been trying to convince them to go for a few years and this is the first time she has asked me to come up with a plan for them...I need it to be perfect!

bradk
03-05-2005, 03:58 PM
GCH is hands down the best offering, but as everyone else stated, that's not saying a heck of a lot. the focus of DLR is still the magic kingdom (disney didn't even own the hotels originally). WDW is a whole other universe and caters to a much broader audience. you could vacation for weeks at WDW and never even consider visiting one of the four parks.

TOTFan
03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
The GCH is like the wilderness lounge at WDW, but a bit more upscale. Both have amazing lobbies i just feel that the GCH is a step up because of the location to DTD and the Parks. Give it a shot, it beats a reg hotel any day.

Agent
03-05-2005, 09:54 PM
We have stayed at both the Grand Floridian and the Grand Californian. In respects to luxury they are both very equivalent. The difference is that GCH is more "West Coast". (Of course, we are from the Pacific Northwest, so we may be a little biased!)

We have stayed in the 1 bedroom suite w/concierge at the Grand. They provide turn down service, bar with a sink, a mid-size refrigerator, DVD with free rentals, 2 TV's, robes, slippers and a nice size deck off the room. The sitting/living area varies depending on which suite you are assigned, but each has been a nice size so far!

The concierge lounge provides a nice breakfast buffet (if you don't see something you want, just ask!), an afternoon "tea" with sandwiches, fruit, tea cookies, chocolate covered strawberries and great Mickey Mouse scones, an evening wine and cheese reception along with pita bread, veggies and a hot appetizer. Finally, the end of the evening is dessert, chocolate chip cookies and usually a choice of 3 other mini selections such as cheesecake. You can watch the fireworks from the concierge lounge.

In addition, there are 2 staff members at computer desks in the lounge who can answer any questions or more importantly, get you reservations. They can arrange priority seating for restuarants at the last minute or for shows such as Aladdin. They are not like true concierges with unlimited "power", but they can be very helpful getting premier seatings to shows. We have found the staff to be very courteous and extremely pampering.

Hope this helps. We love the Grand and the concierge is great. It might be expensive but you are paying not just for the extra perks, but location, location, location. The views are awesome!!!!!!

Mrs.N
03-06-2005, 10:00 AM
We stayed at the Hyatt a couple of miles down Harbor. It's not really walking distance but there is a shuttle. We got our room off Priceline for $44/night. I understand when you arrive you can sometimes upgrade to a suite if available for not too much more.

Marox3
03-06-2005, 12:41 PM
No, not off-site.

and before everyone sais it I am not that interested in the GCH.
GCH can give you everything you are looking for - just ask when making your reservations.

the amenities just dont seem all that worth it to me ($$$) money is not to big of an issue, but the GCH is really over priced even by luxury hotel standards. I would like to find something with a nice pool, lounge, and all the above amentities
So, if money is not an issue, why would you not consider GCH? I'm sorry if this may sound rude, but I totally disagree with you about the pricing. We've stayed in everything from Motel 6 to Ritz Carlton. Disney's GCH is exactly what you would pay for an upscale Disney property. It has a great pool, nice lounge with great appetizers, and everything else (robes, slippers, turn down service, etc). You need to specific with your needs when you call. If not, it probably won't be there or happen and you'll be disappointed with your trip.

I wish you good luck in your search. Everyone has given you great ideas and opinions. I hope you find what you are looking for.

sierranevada
03-06-2005, 02:22 PM
Got to agree with other posters. Concierge at GCH is your best bet. We stayed in a two bedroom suite - concierge. It was beautiful! The concierge at GCH is much better than the DLH, although the DLH is my personal fave! The concierge room is quite spacious and they have a wonderful assortment of snacks and beverages. A nice change is that the first time we were at concierge at GCH, you had to ask for your drinks - they kept them in the back. Now, they have a small fridge so you can help yourself - water, sodas and milk that is. Alcoholic beverages are still served to you. And the lounge is a great place to view the fireworks!

VickiC
03-06-2005, 05:23 PM

The Hyatt Regency is the closest to what you are looking for IMO, but is not walking distance.