PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland announces July 15, 2005 opening of re-Imagineered "Space Mountain"

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
03-04-2005, 11:06 AM
DISNEYLAND ANNOUNCES JULY 15, 2005, OPENING OF
RE-IMAGINEERED “SPACE MOUNTAIN,” FEATURING
NEW TECHNOLOGY AND THRILLS
Classic Attraction Receives Enhancements to Favorite Elements

ANAHEIM, Calif. - March 4, 2005 – As the countdown begins to May 5, 2005, and the launch of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, the “Happiest Homecoming on Earth,” another countdown is now underway in Tomorrowland for the re-launch of “Space Mountain.” The anticipation has begun as one of the most popular adventures at Disneyland gets ready to blast-off into a new era of thrills!

“We’re very happy to announce that ‘Space Mountain’ will re-open on July 15 as one of the many celebratory festivities leading to our actual 50th anniversary on July 17,” said Matt Ouimet, president of the Disneyland Resort, during a State of the Resort presentation today for local government and business leaders. “Guests will find the classic elements they love, combined with new technology and special effects that make the experience even more of a 'wow!"

“Space Mountain,” the high-speed interstellar adventure that has captivated Disneyland guests since its debut in 1977, re-opens following nearly two years of enhancements and improvements. As the signature attraction of Tomorrowland, “Space Mountain” will once again beckon guests to its gleaming white spires and ominous slopes to experience anew the intergalactic adventure inside.

The attraction will return to its regular flight schedule with enhanced narrative elements and state-of-the-art special effects within the attraction and queue area, while retaining its essential theme and flight path through the dark reaches of outer space.

Ardent “Space Mountain” fans will find the attraction sporting a new generation of special effects, new rocket vehicles and a brand-new, custom soundtrack. Through an all-new queue and hi-tech launch port inspired by today’s era of space exploration (Mars Rover, Hubble telescope, etc.), guests will feel as if they have a first-hand look into the cosmos.

After boarding their rockets, guests will be wowed by a feeling of disorientation in the launch tunnel, hurling them towards a close encounter with a large meteorite. Following an exhilarating race through space, the experience will culminate with a new finale featuring a longer re-entry tunnel filled with spectacular lighting effects.

The initial concept for “Space Mountain” originated with Walt Disney himself back in the mid-1960s, when it was known simply as “Space Port” and destined to become an addition to Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The concept became a reality in 1975 when, after more than a decade of planning, the first incarnation of “Space Mountain” actually premiered in the Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.

“Space Mountain” had its southern California premiere at Disneyland two years later on May 27, 1977. The U.S. Mercury Astronauts, America’s first men in space, were on hand for the grand opening ceremonies and to christen the 118 foot tall “mountain.”

The re-launch of “Space Mountain” joins an incredible array of new and exciting adventures, attractions and spectacular entertainment premiering at Disneyland during its “Happiest Homecoming on Earth” 50th anniversary celebration, launching May 5, 2005. Other highlights include the fun-filled and interactive “Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters” in Tomorrowland, the spectacle of “Walt Disney’s Parade of Dreams,” “Remember . . . Dreams Come True,” (the biggest fireworks spectacular in Disneyland history), the engaging retrospective “Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years” and the energetic “Block Party Bash” at Disney’s California Adventure.

Captain Josh
03-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Three Cheers for the regime of Matt Ouimet. Good things ARE coming our way.

AVP
03-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Silt needs to change his .sig.

AVP

JPIVERSON
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Yaaahhhhooooo!!! :d

Crazy4DL
03-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Just called the kids to let them in on the good news!!!!! so excited!! :D :D

Disneyfreak
03-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Did you notice that it said you will be hurtled? It means you will be launched somewhere.

itig
03-04-2005, 11:27 AM
[B]As the signature attraction of Tomorrowland, “Space Mountain” will once again beckon guests to its gleaming white spires and ominous slopes to experience anew the intergalactic adventure inside.

Wait...isn't the mountain sporting a gold/bronze color right now? I'm foggy...but I thought that's what I remembered. Are they repainting it white? Anyone?

Earkid
03-04-2005, 11:28 AM
.....After boarding their rockets, guests will be wowed by a feeling of disorientation.....

Uh Oh, I don't do disorientation well. :eek:

This is a relief tho, hopefully the lines will have thinned out by our November trip. I was kinda dreading a November opening.

olegc
03-04-2005, 11:30 AM
it seems that the idea of a Powered launch as proposed by David Koenig still has not been confirmed by this announcement. You are "disoriented" but not powered - and "hurtling" is all relative depending on effects and concepts. (although I don't think Disney intended to place "hurling" in their press announcement - unless they REALLY want you disoriented and provide barf bags accordingly.)

I checked with Websters.com - hurling does mean to throw with great force or vigor - so maybe is is powered. Nice way to keep us guessing. :rolleyes:

and I can see the naysayers now "why the focus on thrills, what happened to family entertainment" (must be said with whiny voice and come from other websites)

jrsharp21
03-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Wait...isn't the mountain sporting a gold/bronze color right now? I'm foggy...but I thought that's what I remembered. Are they repainting it white? Anyone?

It has already been restored to it's original white color.

itig
03-04-2005, 11:34 AM
It has already been restored to it's original white color.

Thanks...was it that way in December? That was my last trip...and if it was, I need to pay more attention! :D

Disneyfreak
03-04-2005, 11:36 AM

It is currently white. :)

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
03-04-2005, 12:04 PM
im so happy to see tomorrowland get what it so desperatley needed, new rides (including the revamped SM) and a face lift to correct the horrible "gold" era. im so friggin excited i cant wait till july!

hahaha its like christmas in july! yay!!!! :D

ZenMickey
03-04-2005, 12:06 PM

As mentioned before, it is back to its glorious white. They were painting it my last trip in Dec. 2003. I remember being furious over what they did to the late, great Tomorrowland when I went in Dec. 2002, so I went to City Hall and wrote in big letters on a complaint form- PAINT SPACE MT. WHITE AGAIN!!!

They must have listened :D

This is a great press release, and I am REALLY looking forward to revisiting one of my all time favorite attractions.

canadasunflower
03-04-2005, 12:09 PM
:D That's the best news I have heard all day! I am so excited that it will be open for my very first DL trip. :D

dlandnut
03-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Any chance of "soft" openings in June, like June 2,3,4,or 5??? :)

figmentspark
03-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Yippie!! :D

karl
03-04-2005, 12:30 PM
I remember them painting very top white the very weekend after Oimet took control. It was very symbolic of positive change ahead.

sediment
03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Silt needs to change his .sig.

AVP
That's a dirty word, Volleyball-girl.
I had to make sure it was a reliable source first before I'd updated it.

Mommy2NicknMax
03-04-2005, 12:42 PM
This is great news! My hubby wanted to know if it would be open by the time we all go in August. He's never been on it.

RemainSeatedPlease
03-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Yippie!!!!!! :D

Dream Again
03-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Whhhoooopppp!!!

Alex S.
03-04-2005, 03:17 PM
it seems that the idea of a Powered launch as proposed by David Koenig still has not been confirmed by this announcement.

We'll have a bit more information in Monday's DL Update, but David has let me know that he was incorrect (as was his source of the information) about the LIM launched start to Space Mountain. It looks like it will be a chain lift after all.

We're sorry for any excitement caused.

Marox3
03-04-2005, 06:19 PM
YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOO OOOO!

Groovy...... Excellent news.

PsychDoc
03-04-2005, 06:46 PM
YES! YES! YES! I can't wait. I'll have to start planning my Summer trip.