PDA

View Full Version : What are some really unique memories of DLR?

Pages : [1] 2

sdfilmcritic
03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Name some of your extremely unique and wacky memories you have of visiting DLR. I'm referring to any strange and unusual but actual events that have occured while you were visiting the park.

PsychDoc
03-04-2005, 06:25 AM
We went about 6-7 years ago at Easter time and it poured rain. So bad that Main Street was literally a river. They had to close the park early. He finally caved in and bought a poncho -- very funny. At one point he put on a plastic DL shopping bag on his head. The truley unusual thing that happed was that he started a trend. We saw several Japanesse tourists also wearing the bags. Maybe that's not what you were looking for, but I thought it was pretty odd.

dalhar35
03-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Last week my youngest Daughter(8) had the full Minnie mouse outfit- dress, ears, shoes, socks, earrings and locket. She was sitting at the checker board in the Market House after it had cleared out from the Dapper Dan performance. 4 young Oriental gals walked in and pointed to her and hurried over and starting taking pictures. Then they asked her if she would pose with them, which she did for a few more pictures. I don't know if they just thought she was cute or actually Minnie Mouse-it was very funny and she was a little embarrased by all the attention. :)

itig
03-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Here's one that comes to mind...do you ever find that you keep running into one person or family all day long at the park, that you don't even know?!?! This happened to us on our last trip and it was weird.

It started in the stroller line. Wife and I are getting on, each with one of our boys. I'm holding the baby and she's ushering the 3 year old into the seat. The tram came a bit earlier than we were ready for, so our usual loading sequence was off a bit :)

We have a jogger and have no problem loading it, but this time, needed help. There was this guy with his wife and two kids in the seat right behind. He was a pretty big and muscular kind of guy and he was on the outside. He sees us having trouble and just sits there and does nothing. An older lady behind him hops out and helps me lift the stroller in.

Are you thinking what I was? "JERK!"

So it begins. We proceed to see this family everywhere, all day long. We're somehow synched up in some weird cosmic stream and we can't get away from these people. Peter Pan, Pirates, Small World...the stinkin' Tarzan Treehouse!

But it gets worse...

Splash Mountain is my favorite ride, but the wife hates the drop and has to stay with the kids anyway. I head to the line for a single rider pass and then make my way up the exit. I'm ushered in and....you guessed it...they stick me in the log with the same family!!!

What are the odds! I should have passed on that one and waited, but I just didn't think about it at the time. So now, I'm trapped in the back of this log with "THE JERK" and his family. Worst time I've ever had on Splash Mountain, which includes the time it broke down and I was stuck for about 10 minutes inside.

When the picture part of the ride came up, I ducked. I'm thinking that this family thought I was some sort of stalker or something...

My wife didn't believe me when I told her what happened, but just then, they walked by heading toward New Orleans Square.

We decided it was a good time to have lunch...and let them get far....far...away.

dalhar35
03-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Come on people-there's gotta be a lot more responses to this thread

Rouxe1688
03-04-2005, 05:41 PM
It was my first stay at the DL hotel, my mom and i were up early eatting buns at the coffee house. A bird was watching me eat the whole time so i put a bit of bread in my heand and held it out to him, the little guy hopped onto my hand, at the bread, and flew away. We got a picture of it, i felt like snow white :rolleyes:

another bird incident was when i left my sliding door open to my hotel room, when i came back from the park there were two pidgeons eating my croissant an the floor. i thought it was fantastic.

dalhar35
03-05-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't know if you'll call this unique-but we loved being over in critter country when the park closed at 10:00 on a Thursday. It was supposed to close at 8:00 but they extended it two hours cause it was the first sunny day in awhile and the crowds were a good size.

Anyway, it was a great experience to walk back from critter country with the park closed and there not being many people around. We stopped in Frontierland for a moment and just sat on one of the benches. Then we paused near the Walt and Mickey statue and just looked at the lights of Main street. The stroll up main street after closing with few people around was memorable. There is just nothing to compare to a stroll up main street after closing with few people where you really do feel back in Walt's hometown. That was a very special moment for us. Then the walk back through DD was nice, but nothing compared to main street.

Jewels
03-05-2005, 08:58 AM
Ok, about 5 years ago when a bunch of us were freshmen in college we took a group trip to Disneyland. While walking behind Thunder Mtn. we found we were right behind Belle and the Beast who were heading of stage through those big gates. Well we were following behind them for some time along that path and I guess a couple of the guys in our group were showing a little too much interest in Belle. Because the beast turns around and takes a swipe at them and gives a little growl. Belle even broke into giggles.

It was so funny. And I we will never forget the look on their face. Sure wish we could of had a picture of that. :D

Captain Josh
03-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Anytime I ever "weird" out a Jungle Cruise skipper, or cause them to break out of character in fits of confused laughter is a good time for me.

disneyperson
03-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Really unique? Well, many years ago when Disneyperson was just a little Disneytyke, she was scared witless by a tree in an attraction that featured the sets from Babes In Toyland. It was a guy in a rubber costume and he reached out to grab me. I vivdly remember running full tilt back through the previous exhibits all the way back to the entrance with my father in hot pursuit, all the while hearing my mother yelling at the "tree" for scaring little girls.
It's a wonder that I still love Disneyland as much as I do after that experience. :D

sdfilmcritic
03-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Because the beast turns around and takes a swipe at them and gives a little growl. Belle even broke into giggles....and that was the day I was fired from my job at DLR for harassing the guests. ;)

dalhar35
03-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Lol :)

I Heart Disneyland!
03-05-2005, 05:04 PM
It started in the stroller line. Wife and I are getting on, each with one of our boys. I'm holding the baby and she's ushering the 3 year old into the seat. The tram came a bit earlier than we were ready for, so our usual loading sequence was off a bit :)

We have a jogger and have no problem loading it, but this time, needed help. There was this guy with his wife and two kids in the seat right behind. He was a pretty big and muscular kind of guy and he was on the outside. He sees us having trouble and just sits there and does nothing. An older lady behind him hops out and helps me lift the stroller in.

So it begins. We proceed to see this family everywhere, all day long. We're somehow synched up in some weird cosmic stream and we can't get away from these people. Peter Pan, Pirates, Small World...the stinkin' Tarzan Treehouse!

But it gets worse...

Splash Mountain is my favorite ride, but the wife hates the drop and has to stay with the kids anyway. I head to the line for a single rider pass and then make my way up the exit. I'm ushered in and....you guessed it...they stick me in the log with the same family!!!

What are the odds! I should have passed on that one and waited, but I just didn't think about it at the time. So now, I'm trapped in the back of this log with "THE JERK" and his family. Worst time I've ever had on Splash Mountain, which includes the time it broke down and I was stuck for about 10 minutes inside.

OH MY GOSH! This story has me in hysterics!!! Especially the being stuck in the log with the people on Splash. Too rich! haha!

TOTFan
03-05-2005, 05:24 PM
There was this guy with his wife and two kids in the seat right behind. He was a pretty big and muscular kind of guy and he was on the outside. He sees us having trouble and just sits there and does nothing. An older lady behind him hops out and helps me lift the stroller in.

maybe he didn't see you, or maybe when he did the other person was already helping, I don't understand why he's a jerk? It's not his job to help you.

newhdplayer
03-05-2005, 06:10 PM

Just because he didn't help you load your stroller, you are thinking "Jerk"?

Hate to see what kind of reaction a real societal transgression would produce?

MsYumiBr
03-06-2005, 06:47 AM
Okay, here's a wierd one. It's only wierd because of the awkwardness. My husband and I are smokers (yeah, it's a bad habit but when dealing with two kids and a crowd, either you smoke or start yelling). There used to be a smoking area right next to Splash Mountain in a little alcove. This was one of 5 areas at the park at the time. Now there are 4 even though only 3 are advertised in the map. Anyway, we went into this alcove, started smoking and realized there was someone in the corner facing the mountain. We thought nothing of it at first, but then he started bobbing his head up and down in prayer. By now it was too late to back out of the alcove, other people had showed up and we were blocked in. It was a very small area. We were imposing on a prayer session becuase of our nasty bad habit! Eeek.

rentayenta
03-06-2005, 07:08 AM
When I was about 4 y/o my babysitter worked at the Silhouette Shop on Main St. I remember getting to go to work with her during the summer. There was some sort of backstage "day care" area that I remember. The memories are a little fuzzy. This was in the early 70's-does anyone know what I am talking about? The female CMs back then wore some sort of a plaid skirt with funny little hats.

I have told this a million times but.....I used to go to Disneyland with my dad weekly, sometimes more. He was in the Navy, before I was born, and had an affinity for the subs. We would ride them over and over. Those and IASW and The Matterhorn. To this day, IASW and The Matterhorn are two of my very favorite rides!

itig
03-06-2005, 08:10 AM
TOTFan and newhdplayer - I just wanted to follow up on my "jerk" comment. You're right, it's not his job to help me or anyone else. He absolutely did see us -- he was actually watching us struggle to get loaded up. It's not anyone's "job" to be nice to other human beings, but isn't it great when people care enough to do so?

My response is based on what I would have done in the same situation, but obviously, that's just my own way of living. I still open doors for women (many of whom are pleasantly shocked by the gesture), tell people who drop things (keys, papers, etc...), make every effort to return lost items that I find, and respect elderly people and not rush them. Also, my wife and I always help other people load and unload their strollers from the tram when we can. I'm not saying we're the world's biggest do-gooders, but we do try to help people out as we're able.

And to add another "unique" story to this thread...when we were at the park last May, we were standing in line for small world and a lady holding a baby girl tried to step over the rope/chain thing to get to her family in line. Her toe caught and she started to fall. I instinctively reached out to catch the baby, but thankfully, she caught her balance and recovered. She was a bit shaken and sincerely thanked me for being there if she had dropped the baby.

Not my "job", but she was glad I was willing to respond to the situation and help out.

Marox3
03-06-2005, 08:11 AM
We have a couple:

1. We rode POC and the characters were broken, or asleep as we called them. They were bent over at the waist, and still singing and fighting. It was a funny sight.

2. Many years ago, around 12, we rode into the park on the tram from DLH with Joe Montana and his entire family and nannies. Very, very nice man.

3. My son's 7th birthday, all the CM's saying HB really made him feel special. It was a wonderful experience.

4. GCH management and staff made our 15th wedding anniversary very special.

5. Over the years, so many CM's made several trips, rides and events special with the little extra's they would do. We've been blessed in this area; hardly no bad experiences.

Crazy4DL
03-06-2005, 08:26 AM
TOTFan and newhdplayer - I just wanted to follow up on my "jerk" comment. You're right, it's not his job to help me or anyone else. He absolutely did see us -- he was actually watching us struggle to get loaded up. It's not anyone's "job" to be nice to other human beings, but isn't it great when people care enough to do so?

My response is based on what I would have done in the same situation, but obviously, that's just my own way of living. I still open doors for women (many of whom are pleasantly shocked by the gesture), tell people who drop things (keys, papers, etc...), make every effort to return lost items that I find, and respect elderly people and not rush them. Also, my wife and I always help other people load and unload their strollers from the tram when we can. I'm not saying we're the world's biggest do-gooders, but we do try to help people out as we're able.

And to add another "unique" story to this thread...when we were at the park last May, we were standing in line for small world and a lady holding a baby girl tried to step over the rope/chain thing to get to her family in line. Her toe caught and she started to fall. I instinctively reached out to catch the baby, but thankfully, she caught her balance and recovered. She was a bit shaken and sincerely thanked me for being there if she had dropped the baby.

Not my "job", but she was glad I was willing to respond to the situation and help out.

People like you are part of the "magic" of Disneyland. Thank you!

dalhar35
03-06-2005, 08:42 AM

itig-I wholeheartedly agree-We are the type of people who others are so thankful for when we returned their lost wallet or purse intact with nothing missing. I also look at other people who don't help out others as we do as "jerks," cause that's what they are. When the world only revolves around you then I feel sorry for you. You are missing out on the best experience this life can offer-helping others.

In our visit to Disneyland in 2001 we were hanging out at the Statue of Walt and Mickey and a lot of people were making their way over to watch Fantasmic. I noticed a little girl-about 6- standing by herself and looking kinda frightened. I went over to her and got squatted to be on eye level with her(I'm 6'2 and 250 lbs of mostly muscle from weight lifting-kinda intimidating I thought to a lost little girl) and asked her if she was okay. She said she lost her parents and didn't know where they were. I told her it was best to stay right here as they would retrace their path and offered to stay with her until they made their way back. She said she would like that and I just started talking to her about Disneyland and what her favorite rides were. My family came over shortly and my girls introduced themselves which put the girl much more at ease. As you can imagine, about 3 minutes later a very worried Dad and Mom came running up to her and grabbed her and hugged her. They thanked me and quickly left towards Fantasmic. It is now 4 years later and I still remember that little girls face the first time I spotted her and how everything turned out fine for her just because someone took the time to put someone else's plight above their own needs or desires. This world would be much better if more people noticed and considered those around them rather then focusing on their small problems.

aktink
03-06-2005, 09:24 AM
While visiting DL two years ago my then 15 yo daughter ran over to get splash fp while my 10 yo dd and I waited. It took a little longer than expected but when she arrived back her face was glowing. It turns out peter pan and hook were having a fight and she was right in the middle. Hook kidnapped her and peter pan showed up and saved her. With her eyes wide with excitement she exclaimes "hook picked me up and tried to put me over his shoulder!" Well of course theses are our favorite characters and I couldn't believe we missed the entire event. A little later we were in line for meet and greet with hook. My 8 yo hands him her book and the next thing we know he grabs my 15 yo and looks right at her. He then points to himself, then his eyes and then to her. I'm watching you! We got a great pic but 15 yo was very frieked out. Being a teenage drama queen she as totally weirded out but the fact that she didn't know who was in the costume. Was it a cute guy? An old man? It really made our vacation, and made my 15 yo think life really does revolve around her.

missm
03-06-2005, 10:29 AM
When I was in DL last Dec. my friends and I got to do a ride through (tiwce) on SM. We just asked to stay in our log both times and there happened to be no one in line. It was super dead that night. It was a Sunday night and DL was open until midnight for some reason.

leota's necklace
03-06-2005, 01:19 PM
TOTFan and newhdplayer - I just wanted to follow up on my "jerk" comment. You're right, it's not his job to help me or anyone else. He absolutely did see us -- he was actually watching us struggle to get loaded up. It's not anyone's "job" to be nice to other human beings, but isn't it great when people care enough to do so? .

Good for you for being so helpful when you are able to...but no points for judging someone else when they don't. That's certainly not your job, and it's impossible for you to know why he didn't help you. Sure, maybe he was a jerk...or maybe it was not physically possible for him to do it (I know you said he was a big muscular guy, but maybe he had a bum back or a neurological condition he didn't want to advertise)...or maybe he was zoned from a day at the Parks and just didn't think to help. Giving other people the benefit of a doubt is difficult, I know.

WITron
03-07-2005, 10:52 PM
One memory I have was when my best friend and I were eating at the Blue Bayou on day and Pirates was down for rehab. We had a table right by the water. As we were eating they were testing the ride with sand bags that looked like bodies that were just laying lifeless, so of course we had to joke about them bringing in some real effects to the ride.