PDA

View Full Version : When does the magic begin?

Pages : [1] 2

PsychDoc
03-04-2005, 06:20 AM
After talking with my kids' swimming teacher yesterday, it gave me an idea for a thread. She is also a DL freak but her husband "hates" it as does mine. She thinks it's because she grew up in SoCal and went several times as a kid, where her husband grew up in the Midwest and doesn't have any strong DL connections. I have run into several DL "haters" and am wondering if there is some common theme, so I'd like to take a poll:

1. How many of us have grown up with DL, and have some very strong, positive childhood memories that are the key to our adult DL "obsession?"

2. Can you grow into this "obession" as an adult without some childhood memories/connections?

3. Does it ruin your DL experience if you go with a DL "hater?"

Mommy2NicknMax
03-04-2005, 06:27 AM
1. I grew up in MD. But I was raised on all things Disney. I was a member of the Mickey Mouse Club when I was just a baby (still have the certificate). We went to WDW and I loved it there. Now that I live on the west coast, I go to DL b/c it's closer and I love the history that's there.

2. This would be my husband. He had nothing Disney in his life. He grew up in Chicago and his parents never took him to WDW or DL. So being around me so much has now rubbed off on him.

3. My husband wasn't so much a "hater" when we went for the first time. It did dampen things from time to time to hear him talk though. But last year when we went he was a whole different person. You couldn't keep him off the attractions and he wanted to see and do everything!

rentayenta
03-04-2005, 06:29 AM
1. How many of us have grown up with DL, and have some very strong, positive childhood memories that are the key to our adult DL "obsession?"

I grew up going to Disneyland weekly, sometimes more. My father loved it like I do now. I have such great memories of going on the Subs and Matterhorn with him. We spent a lot of time there, just he and I, when I was a kid.

2. Can you grow into this "obession" as an adult without some childhood memories/connections?

I don't know if the obsession would be the same. DH is just now starting to open up to the idea of Disneyland not being evil ;). I think having kids and seeing their joy has opened his eyes.

DH used to be a hater. We went once after we were married but before we had kids. It was in the mid 90's when the park was looking and feeling shabby. He was so negative. It was the only time I didn't love a trip to Disneyland. I didn't make him return until we had kids.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
03-04-2005, 06:37 AM
After talking with my kids' swimming teacher yesterday, it gave me an idea for a thread. She is also a DL freak but her husband "hates" it as does mine. She thinks it's because she grew up in SoCal and went several times as a kid, where her husband grew up in the Midwest and doesn't have any strong DL connections. I have run into several DL "haters" and am wondering if there is some common theme, so I'd like to take a poll:

1. i grew up going at least once a year since i can remember, until i turned 13 then i started going 2,3,4 times a year. after that i just couldnt get enough. there is something there that brings out such a kid in me, so yes i have extremly fond memories of being a little kid there, like digging my head into my dads shoulder when going on the HM for the first time :p

2. ummm i think its hard but achievable, i know alot of people i go with that end up getting AP's cause we go so much that hardley ever went when they were little. sometimes i think people can get hooked worse then when you were a kid for the simple fact that they never knew what it was like to be there and feel the "giddy" before.

3. NOPE! haha my friends husband is a "hater" but it doesnt matter he can do what he wants it never hinders us in having OUR fun. haha

Deogge's Mom
03-04-2005, 06:48 AM

I grew up on the east coast and so do not have childhood memories of coming to Disneyland. My family made a trip to WDW MK in the early seventies, but the memories of that trip are vague. My brother and I grew up going to non-Disney theme parks on the east coast. We also grew up watching reruns of the original Mickey Mouse Club after school and The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights.

My first trip to Disneyland was Christmas 2001. I was immediately hooked. It was unlike any other place in the world and it quickly became a place that I could go and relax. I was not obessed at first, but it has become an obession over the past three years. Now that the park is being restored it is fascinating to me to watch the changes. I no longer go because it's someplace to go, I go to see what has changed and what is changing.

I don't think I've ever gone with a DL hater.

bradk
03-04-2005, 06:50 AM
personally, i stopped developing emotionally at 5 when my entire life got turned around on me. i happily suffer from the 'peter pan' syndrome and spend the vast majority of time concentrating on things that make me happy which include seizing things i didn't have as a child, now that i'm able to take control of the situation as an adult. i totally empathize with michael jackson in that respect (i too would build my own theme park if i could, although i wouldn't let anyone in except me).

i did go to WDW a couple of times in my life and I remember it somewhat, but that's been it for the disney experience. i would occasionally get to go to the circus as a child but it was always as part of a field trip type thing and we'd always have those awful seats. nowadays i try to go every year and will only sit front row center. it's my time now.

but there are extreme opposites too, some people really think it's childish to be childish and they go out of their way to despise it. one of my most rotten experiences was going to the zoo in the summer with someone who - as i learned later - didn't like children or animals.

and some people just hate disney, even without eisner.

but i say live and let live. i love it all and if i'm the only person in the world who did, i'd be all the happier for it. cuz hey, shorter lines.

03-04-2005, 06:54 AM

Completely true for me.

My husband did not grow up with childhood memories/connections to Disneyland. His one experience with Disneyland were in 1998, a low point for the park. He won't be going again that I can see.

Does it ruin your DL experience if you go with a DL "hater?"

No. Now that the parks are looking great, there really is something for everyone.

Crazy4DL
03-04-2005, 07:31 AM
1. I certainly did not grow up with any DL influence. I had great parents but we were quite poor (though I had no idea we were poor when I was a child) and my parents were very religious and strict. We did not even have a tv because my dad thought it was a bad influence on kids (and that was in the 50 and 60's ;) ) Our big trip each year was travelling over to Seattle where my grandma lived - we lived (and still do) in eastern WA. I am not even sure I knew there was a DL until I was a teenager??? :eek:

2. So yes I think you can grow into this "obsession" without childhood memories of Disneyland. The first time we took our kids they were 1yr, 3 yr and 4 1/2 yrs old and the two older ones had fallen in love with Mickey and Minnie and so we just had to take them to DL. I fell in love - I loved Main Street, loved all the lights, I loved that everything was so clean - it was just so fun. We weren't able to go back for about 10 years but when we did (Christmas 89) it was still the best!! My husband and I laughed because on the first trip when the kids were small we pretty much drug them around and on the next trip when they were teenagers they pretty much drug us around :D Now the kids are grown and they do have the childhood memories of some very fun times at DL so they are DL lovers too and we have turned their spouses into DL lovers very easily and of course the little grandkids love it too.

3. I have never been to DL with someone who doesn't love it but I do have relatives that I know would hate it because they don't like crowds and they would think it was all too silly - but too bad for them and good for all of us who love being there is what I think!!

Susan L
03-04-2005, 07:43 AM
I grew up on Disneyland. My first visit was in 1957 when I was just a few monts old. OOOPPPSSS, just gave my age away. I grew up in the city of Torrance. From the time I was born until I was 17 we use to go anywhere from 2-5 times a year. If we weren't going to DL it was Knotts, Sea World, or all the other So. CA attractions.

I think you can grow into it. DH isn't as enthused as I am on DL and sometimes before we go he will complain about going but once we are there he enjoys himself all the way.

We have a rule no whinning or pouting at DL or you get dunked in the toilet. This rarely happens because everyone in the family usually has a great time at DL. If someone is grumpy in the group they get the warning about the dunk or they go back to the hotel room and stay for good.

dalhar35
03-04-2005, 08:00 AM

My only time as a child was when I was 5 and I have only a few vague memories.

I definetly think I have grown into this obsession rather than harboring it since childhood. I think a big part of my obsession is watching my three girls during our visit. Since I work graveyard and it cuts into my family time, I think Disneyland has special meaning for us since its 24 hours the whole family gets to spend together.

I have only gone 3 times in my 38 years-this last week was the third, and I have never gone with a Disneyland Hater. Even my Dad, who was very cynical, showed a different side of himself during our 01 trip as he spent most of the time with the Granddaughters. I can't imagine going with a Disney hater-I would probably reccomend that they try TOT wihtout the lap belt for that extra special experience. :~D

CrazyTrain
03-04-2005, 08:53 AM
1. How many of us have grown up with DL, and have some very strong, positive childhood memories that are the key to our adult DL "obsession?

I grew up in NY and went to Disney World twice (as a kid and for Grad nite 1994). I have good memories of that, but as most kids in this country, I grew up with the Disney characters and like them alot. And the new MMC has become a big part of my life. :) I went to Disneyland for the first time last Aug., have been 3 times since.

I think so, esp. with basic Disney connections. It's growing into an obession for me (with the help of this place :p ). I think the problem is that if you do with someone who doesn't have the right midset - who will hate it, period, and doesn't try to enjoy it... that's where the problem lies.

I haven't been with one, but I'm sure it would damper it somewhat. Of course, I'd be trying to convince the person the whole time how great it is. :rolleyes:

Wendi
03-04-2005, 09:07 AM
I truly believe that those who have childhood memories of Disneyland are the ones who love it as adults. It's not quite possible to turn into a 5 year old again when you walk into Disneyland if you hadn't been there as a child. Having those memories really makes it magical.

MrsG
03-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I only went to DL twice when I was a kid, and for other reasons, I don't remember too much about my childhood, DL included. I do remember listening to Mickey on the telephone in Tomorrowland and just looking at my mom saying to her in a shocked expression "Mickey is talking to me" and she was just grinning. I was probably 5.

My "obsession" was seeded after my return from grad nite, but it grew when I met my husband, who also loves DL (tho' he's not quite obsessed)

I've never been to DL with a DL hater. Why would they spend that much money on someplace they hate. I have only been with people who like (been once or twice in their lives) or love DL.

Crazy4DL
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
I truly believe that those who have childhood memories of Disneyland are the ones who love it as adults. It's not quite possible to turn into a 5 year old again when you walk into Disneyland if you hadn't been there as a child. Having those memories really makes it magical.

I think it is quite easy to "turn into a 5 year old again" and feel that magic and fall in love with DL for the first time as an adult even if you haven't been as a child. I did :D what made it really easy is taking the kids and now grandkids and falling right in with their wonderment and excitment!

Terri
03-04-2005, 10:53 AM

Answers:
1. I grew up in SoCal (1959 - 1965 in San Diego) - spent from 1965 - 1989 living within 5 miles of the park (from 1979 - 1983 I lived across Katella from the park in an apartment on Casa Grande :p !) I have VERY STRONG childhood memories of the park and can't separate Disneyland from growing up - they are that intricately tied together. Yep...definately fuels my obsession with the park!

2. Yes...I think you can grow into this obsession. I know a few who have experienced this - just not nearly as many who grew up in Anaheim and are obsessed...

3. Nothing ruins my experience in the park. I have experienced the park with DL haters and I just find myself being that much more of child when I'm with them. (It's doubtful I've ever outgrown the rebellious teen years)

Now...as an aside to #1 - I do know people who have grown up in and around the park and don't care one way or the other if they go or not. One of them is my niece. She spent 20+ years living in the same house as I did - my mom (a cast member) even lived with her for 10 of those years - yet my niece has no real fascination for the park - go figure!

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
03-04-2005, 12:21 PM
1. How many of us have grown up with DL, and have some very strong, positive childhood memories that are the key to our adult DL "obsession?"I grew up in rural Northern Michigan, but my dad's family was from Southern California so we drove out every other year. We always visited Disneyland and I was always enchanted. I didn't go for about 10 years, but when I moved to Northern California for law school I started going again. I'd drag my friends over break, during the summer, whenever we could get down there. They usually went for the rides, and I went for the feeling.

2. Can you grow into this "obession" as an adult without some childhood memories/connections?Most of my friends who really love the park have strong childhood connections.

3. Does it ruin your DL experience if you go with a DL "hater?"I've never gone with a DL hater. My husband started out grudgingly going with me when we dated but grew to like (not love) it a lot--he even proposed to me there. Now he loves seeing our girls enjoy themselves so much.

meagee
03-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I grew up in Michigan and so do not have childhood "connections" with DL. However, I can sure remember excitedly watching the TV show every week and just loving it, whether it was Fess Parker or an animal show or Hayley Mills. My parents would take us to the movies to see a few movies, but I come from a very large family and so did not get to see movies very often. I do recall watching Snow White at a drive-in while camping and we saw Sound of Music once. I have had to feed my Disney movie obsession as an adult.

My husband does not share my obsession with DL and, yes, I find his attitude quite like a bucket of cold water at times. I wish he would get in the spirit of being like a kid again with me and feel that the magic is real. Guess he's just too macho.

meagee
03-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey Faith Trust & Pixie Dust: Where in No. MI? We seem to be following the same patterns here. Grew up in Cheboygan, MI; now live in No. CA; not an attorney, but am a legal secretary.

It's a Small World After All!!

Marox3
03-04-2005, 06:27 PM
I grew up in SoCal. My folks could only afford to go every few years, even though we were 30 minutes away (traffic at that time). Maybe that's why I love it so - - grew to appreciate it!

I'm not sure. I only have my memories to relate to.

It's not the best situation - but I'm always so excited to be there - I really don't care. It's up to them to enjoy the experience or not. Maybe it's selfish, but this is what I consider my time (and now my family's). It's our escape from certain realities. ENJOY!

WITron
03-04-2005, 08:58 PM
1) I grew up in the Southern Cal area and grew up going to Disneyland, so I have some very strong memories of the park. We went 1-2 times a year when I was younger an dthen when I was old enough I got my first job there. Those memories definately shaped my obsession.

2) My wife grew up in a rural area of Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Chicago, so did not go to any of the Disney parks until she was in college on a trip to California. Since we have been together she has grown to love our visits to Dineyland. She is not as obsesive over it as I am though.

3) I have never been with anyone that is an absolute hater of Disneyland. Having a broad knowledge of the parks helps me to focus on an area that the people I am with enjoy. So if I know someone I am with does not particularly like small children I lead them towards the more "adult" areas of the park and away from Fantasyland.

Our trips now focus on our children more than ourselves, so we spend more time in Fantasyland rather than riding the thrill rides. It is great to see their faces light up as the see everything new. I think one of my favorite pictures from our last trip is one of my DD sitting on my shoulders watching the parade with a look of awe at what she is seeing.

MsYumiBr
03-04-2005, 09:10 PM

I'm from Napa Valley and my parents were huge Disney fans. We went every year throughout my childhood via truck and trailer to Disney's Vacationland or KOA park or some other trailer park. (Dad had a travel trailer repair service business.) We would go to the park via a short visit to my now husband's parents' house in Santa Ana, later Costa Mesa. I have wonderful memories of falling asleep in the trailer with glowing Tinkerbell wands and fireworks. That instilled my adult DL "obsession". My husband even "tried" to propose to me in the DLH parking lot on one visit.

I don't know about "obsession" but tolerance, yes. My husband, growing up in Orange County, used to ride his bike to his friends house near the park and watch the fireworks from their roof. As a teen, he would go just to "pick up on chicks". His sisters did their share of boy hunting too. So, DL amounted to a trip to an amusement park, not Disney magic. So, complacent crowd hating husband went on a rainy president's day weekend and stayed at the DLH with concierge, forced to "behave" and play benevolent daddy, got very excited by the time we saw Fantasmic! on the balcony, finally, after 17 years, experienced the magic. He now denies that he never liked DL and said that is the only way to go to DL!

Ruin? I can't remember a DL experience ever being ruined. I've been severely sunburned, my baby in a stroller almost injured by people stepping over the umbrella stroller one Fourth of July, got blisters from improper foot attire, was sick with unknown morning sickness, had post-pregnancy blood pressure fluctuations on Indy, got plain old sick from California Screamin' twice in a row with resulting migraine, had contact lens adhesion, charlie horses, husband had a bad cold, got crow droppings on my jacket (and some hair), had a wheelchair stolen, had digestion problems from all the junk we snacked on all day, boy, I can go on and on, but never have I considered a DL experience "ruined" by my grumpy husband, even when we start grumping at each other for some stupid reason (just tired). We always seem to find something fun and special about the day and come away pleasantly exhausted. Even with a tub of Noxema and tube top. (Do they even make those anymore?) Good always outweighs the bad. It's all a matter of attitude.

pisces
03-05-2005, 09:47 AM
I grew up with Disneyland, and up until 25 years ago, visited every year as a child.

But, whatever I did as a child has absolutely no influence with me now.

I like the Park for the way that it is today. Just in terms of the theming architecture and spirit. You just don't find too many places as charming and delightful.

I appreciate the creativity. Those things never occurred to me as a child. You don't stop to ponder things like architecture, creativity, atmosphere, and such, when you are younger. All I knew was that I liked the rides, and didn't think about anything else too deeply.

Today, I have a new appreciation, and appreciate the Park on it's own , today, terms.

As far as attending with a "Hater". I'd have no problem with that. It's not my role in life to force someone to like the things I do.

It's up to them to discover the magic, on their own, in their own way/time, just like I have.........or not.

Of course I'm always mindful of other's feelings; however, someone else's personal likes or dislikes, in the end, carry no influence with me.....and won't stop me from doing what I want to do. ;)

BQ2
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
1) I grew up here in So Cal. DL was a big part of my life. More so now that we have a 3 YO son. It is a whole new world :)

2) I don't know see above

3) YES, good luck with that!

3. Does it ruin your DL experience if you go with a DL "hater?

SCUBAbe
03-05-2005, 06:33 PM

I grew up with it, but I don't have any strong memories of it. I would get excited about going, but once I was there it was a drag until it got dark. The night is still my favorite part of DL..or was before fantasmic ruined it.

I have no idea

I do not go with DL haters. My BF grew up in NY and he remembers the world fair and SW. His family came to visit DL when he was about 8. He liked the hotel and the pool. He didn't mention the park at all. He has no desire to go now. I told him it is different than it was in the 60's, but he feels it's for kids and has no idea why I go so much...to be honest I sometimes question it myself..LOL..anyway, I don't make him go. It's not a big deal to me..:)

Disney Vault
03-05-2005, 07:05 PM
My husband did not grow up with childhood memories/connections to Disneyland. His one experience with Disneyland were in 1998, a low point for the park. He won't be going again that I can see.

You need to talk him into going at least once for the 50th. Once everything is looking great again just to see if his opinion will change.