PDA

View Full Version : Resort Attendance

EandCDad
12-29-2001, 12:25 PM
The Orlando Sentinel (http://orlandosentinel.com/news/yahoo/orl-loc-themebox.story?coll=orl>%2Dnewsaol%2Dheadlines) has posted a list of attendance estimates at theme parks for 2001. This list came from Amusement Business.

Any comments on DCA finishing 9th with an estimated attendance of 5 million. My main question is what would the attendance have been without the massive discounting that DCA did in the summer (even prior to 9/11), the two parks for $49 promotion (basically only charging $6 for DCA), and the recent change in AP which allowed everyone to have DCA for either free or $10 for the rest of their pass year.

The kids free, adults for $33 promotion allowed a family of 4 to pay $66 for a day at DCA rather than the $152 it would have cost. This likely brought in hundreds of thousands of additional guests. The change to APs also brought in thousands of additional visits from people like me who previously only had a DL passport.

My guess is that without the discounting, the total would have been around 4 million, significantly less than the 7 million being projected at the beginning of the year.

Certainly the national economy and the 9/11 attack have played some role in the lower than expected attendance.

Dlandmom
12-30-2001, 01:58 PM
My take on this has been that in crisis, we turn towards comfort items...for some of us, that's Disney. It was smart of the company to finally "reward" its local clientele (both in Anaheim and Orlando) with "easier" access to all parks by offering discounts, etc.

On a related note, look at what's happening to Krispy Kreme stock and a few other "comfort stocks"...in a bad economy, it's comfort items that are getting the most business. Take a look at the statistics from holiday shopping...we're buying more home related items than ever before, both for ourselves and for our friends and family. I think that little by little (maybe even quicker than that!), attendance will start to rise at DCA. It's hard to fight bad word of mouth, but generally I think that with the more reasonable cost, more folks are going to spend time at DCA if only to soak in some new atmosphere.

DZNYLNDEXTNCTCLB
12-30-2001, 01:59 PM
I wish there was aplace to view how many pins are traded a day in dland