PDA

View Full Version : Where to stay?

justgeorgi
03-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Hello everyone. I am very new to the Disneyland Forum, (I spend most time over at the Walt Disney Resort one) and I need a little help.

My daughter will be singing at the 50th Celebration in Disneyland this summer. She is going on a cruise first and then arriving in LA for the Celebration performance and other things related to it. I am planning to fly from NY to LAX to suprise her. I would like to fly in the day before and spend a 1/2 day at Disneyland all alone. I NEVER get to do this since my daughter, husband and I normally travel to WDW alot with friends and I would really like the 1/2 day to explore and ride Mr. Toads Wild Ride a few times.

I am completely a Disneyland virgin, never have been there or to LA and know very little about it. I need a safe, discount hotel near Disneyland. I will be taking the airport bus from LAX to Disneyland and spending the day there and then would like to take a cab to check into a hotel for the night before I meet up with her touring group on Friday morning. Any suggestions?

Also, does Disneyland offer any sort of luggage holding service or lockers? I will be traveling very light because my friend will be taking my suitcase with her during the cruise so I just need to have a change of clothes in a carryon.

Wendi
03-02-2005, 08:11 PM
I highly recommend Hojo's!!! Check out www.mousesavers.com for really good rates. The hotel is very clean and nice, the staff is excellent, and you can easily walk to and from the parks.

Darkbeer
03-02-2005, 08:18 PM
I second HoJo's...

As part of the Airport Bus fee, they will take you to the front door of HoJo's. HoJo's will hold your luggage before and/or after check in depending on your flight times.

The walk is quick and easy from HoJo's, or if you want, you can catch a shuttle...

Here is a direct link to the HoJo's discount rates from MouseSavers.

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers/

GrumpyUTboi
03-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Tropicana Inn and Suites is the best. Right across the street from DL, nice rooms, good rates, good beds, nice continental breakfast, courteous front desk staff, I even like the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that was provided each day. We asked for extra pillows and recieved them right away. Oh yea, I was able to use WiFi in my room for free.

All in all my wife, my family and I were very impressed with everything about the hotel. If you are packing light, there you go. Though I would never fly into LAX, SNA (Orange County) yes, but never LAX. If you fly into LAX, look outside the window and look at all the planes that are flying below your plane. SCARY!

justgeorgi
03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
I am definitely taking the Airport Bus and staying at HoJo's! Thanks so much! My daughters group will be performing at the Disneyland Hotel and Disneyland during the week so I want to get there a day early so I can go around on my own.

I definitely have to fly into LAX because that is where the tour group will be flying into and leaving from and I will just go with them to the airport on the day they leave and take my own flight. My daughter is only 12 so I want to be with her for some of the trip. I live in NY so I don't mind the planes or a busy airport. My dad was a pilot and I used to fly his little Cessana 150 when I was a kid, a few planes won't stress me. Thanks to all for the help!

Mr. Toads Wild Ride HERE I COME!

Daveylegs
03-03-2005, 07:10 AM
My daughters group will be performing at the Disneyland Hotel and Disneyland during the week so I want to get there a day early so I can go around on my own.!

Your first time at Disneyland and your daughter is performing at the DLH...I'd consider splurging and staying at the Disneyland Hotel. We usually stay on property when we go. It makes the experience even more magical.

Don't get me wrong...HoJo's is nice and I'm sure you be satisfied. But it's not Disney.

Susan L
03-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Your first time at Disneyland and your daughter is performing at the DLH...I'd consider splurging and staying at the Disneyland Hotel. We usually stay on property when we go. It makes the experience even more magical.

Don't get me wrong...HoJo's is nice and I'm sure you be satisfied. But it's not Disney.

I second that if you can swing it $$ wise I would stay on property. The atmosphere on property is great and very safe.

sediment
03-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Though I would never fly into LAX, SNA (Orange County) yes, but never LAX. If you fly into LAX, look outside the window and look at all the planes that are flying below your plane. SCARY!
Nothing to be scared about, IMO. A 1000-mile drive is far more dangerous, according to the statistics.

justgeorgi
03-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Thanks everyone. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel with the performing group but I am going out a day or 2 early just to visit Disneyland on my own and wanted a less expensive choice for myself. I won't be doing anything but sleeping because I plan to stay in the parks until they kick me out and be there as soon as it opens. As long as the price is fair, the beds and room are clean and its with in walking distance I'm good.

I've been to WDW more times than I can count and know it like the back of my hand. I'm looking forward mostly to the "dark rides" such as Mr. Toads Wild Ride, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Snow White and then of course Pirates and Haunted Mansion. After I do those I want to see Its a Small World because I know it was the original.

Suggestions for the rest of the park? Those not to be missed?

The duplicate rides (Space, Splash, etc) are they different or basically the same as those in WDW? Since I am going back with the performing group and they are kids I am sure I will have the chance to go on them then so I want to make sure I see the older "nostalgic" rides on my own.

Which rides have fast pass?

Wendy

mystycalchyk
03-03-2005, 10:32 AM
The duplicate rides (Space, Splash, etc) are they different or basically the same as those in WDW? Since I am going back with the performing group and they are kids I am sure I will have the chance to go on them then so I want to make sure I see the older "nostalgic" rides on my own.

Which rides have fast pass?

Wendy

Our POTC is way better. Go hang out in New Orleans Square. Its my favorite part of the park and was sorely missed in WDW. Also make sure to ride the Matterhorn Bobsleds. Oh and please please please go to the Enchanted Tiki Room so you can see the original. That horrific nightmare thing they did in WDW still brings a tear to my eye when I think about it.

bradk
03-03-2005, 10:36 AM
rides only at dl: ija, tarzan (but it's still basically the swiss family robinson treehouse), pinocchio, casey jr (skippable in my opinion), storybook canal (same sights as casey, so this is preferable), alice in wonderland, mr. toad's wild ride, matterhorn (which has 2 separate tracks - one faster, one longer), the walt disney story, toowntown with roger rabbit's car toon spin and all.

rides deemed to be better at dl than wdw: tiki room (which should be its original format, not the iago format), jungle cruise, splash mountain (splashier), peter pan, disneyland railroad, pirates of the caribbean, hm (for new effects), autopia, space mountain (when it opens) and i almost forgot buzz.

and lastly, the big 'disappointment' at dca would be tower of terror which pales compared to the wdw version, but it will at least be receiving a software upgrade early next year.