PDA

View Full Version : David Koenig says Space will have powered launch

Pages : [1] 2

HyperTyper
03-02-2005, 04:58 AM
In his article dated March 1, David Koenig mentions that, among other things we already know about, there will be a "new powered launch" on Space Mountain. Am I just slow, or does this come as news to anyone else? I wonder what he means by "powered launch." A fast one? An LIM one? He gives no details. And I had read all this time that there would be no speed-launch, the most discussed and desired feature for the new ride (well, next to a loop).

So, can anyone set the record straight here? Will there be a high-speed launch, a standard lift hill, or something in between? Did David speak correctly, or did a badly wished-for rumor sneak into the list of genuine additions to the ride?

sdfilmcritic
03-02-2005, 05:02 AM
I vaguely remember hearing there will be a speed launch. I do know for a fact that the launch sequence is completely redone. They (Imagineers) wanted an upgrade from the old chain lift SM had before the construction overhaul. As far as if the new launch system is similar to DL Paris with the rocket launch theme I'm not entirely sure if this will be implemented at DLR, but I'm hoping so. This new launch sequence isn't exactly recent news.

bradk
03-02-2005, 05:41 AM
i really don't know all the details and i'm not that technically knowledgeable about roller coasters, but i know they changed the tracks for whatever reason and if they switch to a linear induction system (magnets), they can make for an extremely fast and impressive launch rather than relying on chains and gravity.

it's been mentioned before that the launch sequence was being redone and somehow involving the much more realistic meteor.

DBJ
03-02-2005, 07:17 AM
I read that too, kind of puzzled by the statement. If the layout of the ride remains the same, it would seem to me that a powered launch would have to be a low powered version, like Uni's Mummy, and not something like Knott's Xcell. Even at a lower speed that other launched coasters, should be fun. Another added bonus is that the powered launch means a faster overall ride time, which in theory means capacity could go up.

millionairegirl
03-02-2005, 07:22 AM
If the track layout stays the same I would assume the launch would 'shoot' us up that first hill, kind of like on Mulholland Madness. I hope it would go a bit faster than that if they call it a "Powered Launch".

TOTFan
03-02-2005, 07:45 AM
or maybe disney has come up with a new ride system like they seem to be very good at!

Arnie
03-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Another added bonus is that the powered launch means a faster overall ride time, which in theory means capacity could go up.

But wouldn't it also mean less cars on the track at a time, the chain lift would seem to let you have more cars on at once since you would not be launching up the hill and be at a risk of catching up to another car.

MrsPooh
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
it's been mentioned before that the launch sequence was being redone and somehow involving the much more realistic meteor.

You mean as opposed to the giant cookie?

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :~D

sediment
03-02-2005, 09:14 AM
But wouldn't it also mean less cars on the track at a time, the chain lift would seem to let you have more cars on at once since you would not be launching up the hill and be at a risk of catching up to another car.
Wow, this is confusing. I need to break this down to the base elements, comparing a slow launch to a fast launch.
1. Fixed length of track.
2. Fixed safe distance between cars.

This tells me that the wait in the loading area would be longer, since the time in loading area plus the launch time should be nearly equal in order for #2 to remain fixed.
It's possible that there will be a new waiting area between the loading area and the new launch, say, at the bottom of the lift (not unlike Screamin').
In all, I'd say that the maximum number of cars should be nearly equal, plus/minus one car.

Disneyfreak
03-02-2005, 09:30 AM
They made the second lift a launch because they will have a near miss effect when you get launched into the main building scene. They have said that you are suppost to almost crash into a asteroid.

SoCalDude
03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
I just want to go on the ride!!

bradk
03-02-2005, 10:03 AM
if they switch to a magnetic system, the breaking can be quicker and more reliable than in the traditional sense, and in a worst case scenario, they can cut the power which would immediately stop all cars wherever they are.

bluepearl
03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Does anyone remember the old rumors of using the PeopleMover/Rocket Rods track as a launch? I had a good laugh when a former manager was adamant that that was true, even after it was announced that the track would remain the same.

I vaguely remember Paris's initial launch... it was hard to concentrate considering how cold it was while in the beginning outside portion of the ride and how I brought the wrong jacket to walk around that day. If the layout is the same, I'm having a hard time imagining any type of significant launch. :shrug:

ToursbabeC3po
03-02-2005, 12:29 PM
From what I have been told it is a "lighting and special effect launch." Nothing to do with taking off fast. It does give you the feeling of being "disoriented"
If you suffer from a light sensitivity seizure disorder this attraction is going to be a problem now.
Toursbabe

figmentspark
03-02-2005, 12:58 PM
While we are doing all of this speculation on what Space Mountain's launch will be like I may as well make it more interesting and throw in the rumor that I heard. I heard that the track will be the same as the Disneyland Paris track. I've never been on said track so I don't know if it would be possible, but that's what I was told when I was in WDW last summer.

bluepearl
03-02-2005, 01:54 PM
While we are doing all of this speculation on what Space Mountain's launch will be like I may as well make it more interesting and throw in the rumor that I heard. I heard that the track will be the same as the Disneyland Paris track. I've never been on said track so I don't know if it would be possible, but that's what I was told when I was in WDW last summer.
As I understand it, Paris's show building is much larger than DLR's. At least when I was on the ride, I found myself thinking that it was a long ride. There's also a loop in it (I think there's two, or maybe I was being thrashed around enough to make it feel like there were two loops), which definitely does not make for a DLR re-do. I'm fine with that; I'm not particularly fond of loops.

Mark Goldhaber
03-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Nope. It's the same track as Hong Kong, which is the original layout from California. They saved money by telling the manufacturer "You know that coaster that we ordered? Make us two of them."

Disneyfreak
03-02-2005, 06:53 PM
I dont see how stopping on lift 2 and then launching in 3, 2, 1 isnt possible?

ToursbabeC3po
03-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Mark is right it is the same track as before (I have seen the old track and the new one) The only thing that has changed is lighting, special effects, and audio. There are some new props as well in different parts of the track.
Don't get me wrong! The new effects make a enhanced experience.
Toursbabe

HyperTyper
03-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Well, the rumors are flying all over the place, then. I remember back when the ride was still being planned and shipped, word was that the entire ride (including the lifts) would be identical, and that only the effects and show would change. Everyone who was "in the know" said, uncategorically: NO POWER LAUNCH. Now, there will be a power-launch? Whoa. Where have I been???

I suppose I should also know about the 50-foot 75-degree drop they have installed in "Small World" too, right?

Disney is usually pretty vocal about the details of a new ride, well-before it's open. I'm actually quite surprised we know so little about the new Space Mountain at this point. When it comes to movies, the less a studio says, the more disappointing the film is. I hope that isn't the case here.

Disneyfreak
03-02-2005, 09:47 PM
I actually like these rumors because it will make the ride all that much better when it opens cause we will have no idea what to expect.

sdfilmcritic
03-02-2005, 11:07 PM
You mean as opposed to the giant cookie?-- Would you like to buy some cookies?
-- Mommy says I can have a cookie for dinner. (Stewart!)

Alex S.
03-04-2005, 03:19 PM
I actually like these rumors because it will make the ride all that much better when it opens cause we will have no idea what to expect.

Well, I hate to dim your excitement, but David has let me know that he and his source were incorrect about the LIM launch for Space Mountain. It looks like it will just be a chain lift after all.

There'll be a bit more information in Monday's DL Park Update.

disneygurl92
03-04-2005, 07:06 PM
There are going to be some new tunnels and special effects. And the track is all brand new. Personally I think there isn't going to be a loop added to the ride. Does anyone know if the computer system for the ride is being updated too? Because I heard the computer system is the same as the one on big thunder. Is this true?

RStar
03-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Well, I hate to dim your excitement, but David has let me know that he and his source were incorrect about the LIM launch for Space Mountain. It looks like it will just be a chain lift after all.

There'll be a bit more information in Monday's DL Park Update.
AWWW!!!

Oh well, I was going to wait to see it for myself anyway.

So, I'm not the only one that thought the asteroid projected on the celing looked like a giant chocolate chip cookie, huh?