PDA

View Full Version : is it worth the extra $300+ to stay in a disney hotel?

ionfreeway
12-28-2001, 06:37 AM
My wife and I are planning a trip out to the CA this spring for 4-5 days. This will be my first visit to the DLR (WDW is just a shorter flight from NJ so that's where we've always gone).

I've been pricing out different options on the Disneyland web site. The difference between staying at one of DL's hotels vs. the Marriott or Hilton is around 300-400 dollars.

Now that there aren't any early entry days, what are the benefits (besides the theming) to staying in a Disney hotel?

I thought I read somewhere that the park can get to full capacity and then only resort guests can enter the park. Is this a common problem, or only during peak times?

Sorry, I know this is actually like 3 questions in one, but I appreciate any advice or opinions!

lisap
12-28-2001, 06:54 AM
I'm sure eandc will get in on this, but just my two cents first.

I love staying at the resort hotels. It totally makes the trip for me. Just feeling like you are right in the center of things, I guess. However, I have stayed at several hotels right near the Park (Hilton included) and have had good experiences.

Have you checked out expedia or any other discount sites? Someone on the board directed us there and we were able to get a fantastic rate at the Grand Ca. in December. (If you want to go whole hog that's the hotel to blow your money on.)

Many people I've read on the boards feel that it's better to save your money to spend elsewhere on the trip. I can understand that, but my first instinct is to try to find a good rate at the resort.

tjrj
12-28-2001, 07:09 AM
I have to second LisaP's opinon. Staying at the on-site hotels-especially in DL makes you feel like you're right there. Another site to try for current specials is Mousesavers.com-Mary always has up-to-date information. Especially if you don't feel comfortable traveling in CA traffic, on-site is the way to go. The Grand is awe-inspiring-it's a definite "must see" even if you don't stay there. Is it just the two of you going on the trip? If so, then you probably won't mind the smaller rooms at the Grand. I found the rooms at the Grand to be small, with limited storage space for the 4 of us for a 5 night stay. For a real dose of "Disney Magic" I love the Disneyland hotel. The rooms are larger, with more storage space-the Bonita towers rooms are especially nice-do a water view for a view of the Neverland pool, ponds and the Fantasy Waters show. Again, I've also stayed off-site with good results-it's just more magical and more convienent to stay on-site if you can swing it.

EandCDad
12-28-2001, 07:36 AM
Staying on-site is nice for the conveinence. You can walk through DTD to the parks and go back to your hotel for a break or a dip in the pool.

That said, money doesn't grow on trees, so if you could save upwards of $300 (and $300 is a lot of money to you, it is to me), I would go for a close off-site property. They all have shuttles to the park that run regularly (usually every half hour) so you don't have to worry about driving around.

80S ERA
12-28-2001, 07:46 AM
I think so. To give you an idea how much I mean it: I live about 10 minutes away from the resort and stayed on site before! It is a totally different experience staying on-site!

Advantages:
1. Closest location to the parks
2. Monorail Express boarding pass - Hotels guests have their own exclusive line.
3. Package express to your room (not sure if they still do this)
4. Ability to charge meals to your room
5. Feels like an extension of the resort, especially DLR & GCH where most rooms sheild you from the "outside world."

merlinjones
12-28-2001, 07:51 AM
Very cool and fun, but hardly worth the ridiculous prices given that the Hilton et al are just across the street anyway. Unless you are wealthy, use your money to buy something you can't get otherwise.

tjrj
12-28-2001, 07:54 AM
With regards to the shuttles that the off-site hotels use: see if your hotel of choice runs an express-that only stops at your hotel. When we have stayed off-site in the past-not knowing about shuttles-the ones we have had stopped at seemingly every hotel along the way-it took forever to get to our hotel. For this reason, I recommend driving over the shuttles, unless it's an express.

EandCDad
12-28-2001, 08:04 AM
If you stay at a smaller hotel or a motel, they seem to be on those shuttles that stop at all the places. I have stayed at the Residence Inn and the Hilton and they had their own shuttles that just went directly to the front gate. Mariott does too, I think. But you bring up a good point and it pays to ask.

mad4mky
12-28-2001, 08:23 AM
I don't live locally to DLR (unless you consider the San Francisco Area local)...I have done both. I have gone to DLR on such a bare budget that we have stayed at some pretty cheap motels, gone where we had enought money to stay fairly nice, and gone all hog out and stayed at The Grand Californian.

I think...I depends on where you want to spend your dollars. If it is important for you to be right in the midst of Disney all the time...by all means spend your money there. But, how much time are you going to spend in your room? Are you taking kids?
I have found that we have had just as much fun staying at the Hilton...(although their elevators are the slowest west of the Mississippi).
I have stayed many a beautiful place...but I thought The Grand Californian (3 nights) topped them all...
But if money is limited, and you are renting a car, or don't mind a shuttle...stay cheaper if you want to spend more on "stuff". I am a shopper...and sometimes, I'd rather spend on "stuff" then a room.
Anyways, you are going to get all kinds of different advice. Do what you think your budget will allow...but, New Jersey is a long way to come and be disappointed and you're not happy where you are staying...

Lani
12-28-2001, 09:20 AM
Ever since Disney yanked away the Magic Morning early entry privilege for its hotel guests, the only real advantage to staying on property is that you get to stay with the theming. However, unlike Walt Disney World where the difference between on- and off-property is profound, the Anaheim area is all pretty much the same and you don't feel horrendously let down when you walk across the street to a non-Disney hotel.

What level of service are you used to? Your best bet is to go to MouseSavers and see if Mary has listed any good discounts for the hotels, and then to use those. If the price is comparable, I would definitely recommend an on-property hotel. And depending on the price difference within the three hotels, I would take the cheapest rate (probably the Paradise Pier Hotel), and then bump up to upgrade to Concierge level. The service you get is comparable to first class on an airline and well worth the extra money.

If you can't find a good rate, and you don't need to stay in a fancy 4-star hotel, consider some of the smaller motels along the 1300 to 1600 block of South Harbor Boulevard. These are pretty much right across the street from the resort's pedestrian entrance, so you do not have to depend on shuttles (which can add upwards of 30 minutes to your schedule).

Park Inn International is a better quality hotel (and you can upgrade to get a room with a Jacuzzi) and near the McDonald's. If "right across the street" is important for you, I would recommend the Desert Inn & Suites. The rooms are decent (although their continental breakfasts pallor in comparison to the Candy Cane Inn or any of the Concierge Lounges in the on-property hotels), but if you are the type who only cares about a clean and quiet bed (after all, why spend $200 a night if all you will do is spend 8 hours a night in it?), then stay at a motel for under $100 a night, and use your savings to splurge on things like dinner at Hook's (in the Disneyland Hotel).

One more thing -- the bigger, nicer hotels in that area cater to the convention center crowd, since the Anaheim Convention Center is right down the street. If you are familiar with convention hotels, you know that they are not the same as resort hotels -- they cater more to business travelers so you will not have as nice a pool and such.

innerSpaceman
12-28-2001, 11:42 AM
Don't waste your money. Staying at a Disney hotel at DLR is NOT THE SAME as staying in one at WDW. There are plenty of small hotels or motels right across the street on Harbor Blvd. that are actually closer walking distance to Disneyland than the Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier Hotel. The Grand Californian is incredibly close to the parks, but prices there are even more outrageous than at the 2 other DLR hotels. The Park Inn International on Harbor is a good bet - reasonable prices, large rooms, easy walking distance to the parks.

merlinjones
12-28-2001, 12:44 PM
I also strongly object to the arranging of scenic elements at DCA to favor the elitist GC hotel guests instead of the park patrons (by reversing the good views of the Grizzly area from the hub to the hotel). I would refrain from rewarding Disney for this sort of planning by not staying at GCH and keeping my $$$ for when they do the right thing (restore Tomorrowland anyone?).

lisap
12-28-2001, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I also strongly object to the arranging of scenic elements at DCA to favor the elitist GC hotel guests instead of the park patrons (by reversing the good views of the Grizzly area from the hub to the hotel). I would refrain from rewarding Disney for this sort of planning by not staying at GCH and keeping my $$$ for when they do the right thing (restore Tomorrowland anyone?).

First of all I would NOT qualify as an elitist GC hotel guest--we squeaked in on a an excellent discount, and who knows when we may return. Even if I never can afford to return I can appreciate how the hotel and Park blend together in theming--I think they did a fantastic job of that--whatever the other problem DCA may have.
Secondly, anyone can certainly enjoy the hotel without actually having a room in it--the restaurants, lobby and views are available to everyone. I know someone who likes to have a glass of wine, listen to the piano player and soak in the ambiance. And as far as I know, he's never booked a room.

As far as magic Mornings go...IMO only people with small children got any benefit from that program anyway. I mean, how many times can one ride Peter Pan or Mr. Toad with no line? Sure, it's great, but is not the end of the world that they discontinued it.

mspangler
12-29-2001, 07:54 AM
It's worth it, all right.

We've stayed at both the Grand Calif. and DLH. Never stayed at Paradise Pier, so I can't say anything about that one.

That being said, the Disneyland Hotel is still my favorite of the two. The Grand Calif. has a big lobby, entrance to DCA, and nice theming, but (1) the rooms are smaller (or seemed smaller) than the ones at the DLH; (2) I thought the hallways were much too long and (3) the overall theming, especially inside, makes it a "dark" hotel. It has a cozy feel, but it sure made me feel sleepy.

The DLH has 3 towers, we've stayed in all of them during the years. I've found that they all have their own advantages.

The Marina tower, being the one with the Main Lobby in it, makes it easy to get to your room, since the elevators are near the Front Desk. It has a pool view on one side, parking lot on the other.

The Bonita tower rooms are a little larger, since they have "mini bars" or "wet bars" (whatever they're called) in them. One side overlooks a (really neat, IMO) waterfall area and the nightly Fantasy Waters show. The other side, though, has a parking lot view.

The Sierra tower probably has the best views, since one side faces the pool and the other side faces Downtown Disney. The Sierra bathrooms are a bit larger too, with double sinks in them. (might not be true for all rooms, but at least the ones we've stayed in)

The rooms all have a nice Disney theme and were remodeled pretty recently. They also have an "airy" feel to them, something that I did not find at the Grand Calif. It's hard to describe, someone who's stayed there will probably know what I mean.

Restaurants: Goofy's Kitchen (character meals), Hook's Pointe (seafood), Granville's (steaks). Haven't been to Granville's, but we have been to the other two. There is also the Lost Bar and the Croc's Bites (I think that's what it's called) for quick snacks. Also-Room Service until 1 AM, but it isn't cheap...

Pools: the NeverLand pool (the main one, Peter Pan themed), also the Cove Pools with a small beach (over towards the Bonita tower). The NeverLand pool has 2 waterslides and a hot tub.

As someone else mentioned, the Hotel guests have priority entry if the park fills up (we were there during Christmas a few years ago).

Package Express- if you buy anything in the parks, they will deliver it to the Bell Desk the same day (if you buy something before 3 pm. Anything after 3, you'll have to wait until the morning). I assume you can phone the Bell Desk and have them deliver your stuff, but we've always gone down to the desk ourselves. Anyway, it sure beats having to carry the stuff around with you all day. (and if you saw what my mom buys there, you don't want to carry that many bags all day!:D )

Of course, there is the convienience of the Monorail to Tomorrowland. There was also some new thing (when we were there a week ago) called "Priority Boarding" which gives the Hotel people priority in Tomorrowland. Should get you on the Monorail faster, since most of the people in line probably aren't staying at the hotels.

Don't think I've forgotten anything....I think all of this says that I've been to that hotel a little TOO much....:D