PDA

View Full Version : Talking on Pirates of the Caribbean

Pages : [1] 2

cakac
02-28-2005, 03:43 PM
This is my first post, so I apologize if this has been discussed in the past.

My family and I are annual passholders from Northern California and we visit DL 3-4 times a year. It seems that in the past couple of years, Pirates has turned into a ride that people use to pass the time and catch up on family, neighbor and whatever type of news. I think that if one wants to talk and hang around it should be done on, say, a bench or even Haunted Mansion. Certainly, some time when an entire boat load of people have a choice to choose to listen to your stories or get up and leave. I was there this past weekend and even my five year old commented about the "people who can't stop talking". Wouldn't it be nice if DL put up signs on the community rides like Pirates and Small World asking riders to keep conversation to a minimum so that all can enjoy the ride?

Earkid
02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
I'm there with ya cakac. It's really frustrating. I talked a little about my experience on POTC in my trip report. And it seems like asking politely to shush only makes them talk louder.

I hope they didn't ruin your trip too much.

GrumpyUTboi
02-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Last October, the day that our stroller was stolen by some jerk that took much of the innocence away from us and DL, we got on the POTC, meanwhile some jerk was walking away with our stroller (I sure hope Karma kicks in on this person) we got in the boat with a couple of teenagers that once the ride went down the waterfalls one of the teenage girls stood up and started taking pictures. The flash bulb was bright enough that after 10 or so pictures all we could see was white dots everywhere. I tried to rock the boat to help her sit down, but that was to no avail.

I just downright hate rude people that talk on the ride or take pictures. I don't mind so much if people are talking along with the attraction, this kind of shows me that I am not the only freak out there that is a fanatic about the ride, but I do not want to hear people talk about certain diseases they may have or who they were with last night or the local gossip that may be going on.

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
02-28-2005, 04:43 PM
no kiddin...i was there just this past sat. and for some reason everyone in the boat in fron of us decided to scream as loud as they can "yo ho, yo ho, its a pirates life for me!" throughout the ENTIRE ride.

im an AP holder but still my heart goes out to those people that go maybe once a year if they are lucky and insted of sitting there and enjoying a nice relaxing ride you have a boat load of annoying teens (and their mom even!) making everything more intolerable. i can understand their excitement but people can at least have a little respect for the rest of the guests there. i mean honestly you could hear em screaming at least 2 boats away...

DisneylandForever
02-28-2005, 04:54 PM
I think that if one wants to talk and hang around it should be done on, say, a bench or even Haunted Mansion.

Hey! :eek: Don't send the talkers to my favorite ride! We get enough of the gabbies in the elevator room, thinking they're cute by reciting the entire "no windows and no doors" spiel!

I agree with you as well. I never tell the people to hush because like somebody said, it would probably make them talk more. I just roll my eyes and go back on later.

But the most annoying people are the ones who yell to the patrons eating at the Blue Bayou! Especially when you're one of the patrons. "Hey! How's the steak?!" Oh ha ha that's sooo original. Shut it!

wabby1
02-28-2005, 05:45 PM
I like the Pirates ride to be observed, not commented on by fellow passengers. There's too much detail on the ride to be distracted by some annoying, talking, gum-popping, pimply, rude people who find it fun to be loud and obnoxious. Perhaps its their idea of fun, but I don't like my favorite attraction to be a distraction, so-to-speak.

SCUBAbe
02-28-2005, 05:49 PM
hey, it's a boring ride...maybe thats why they talk in it. j/k.. My mother once talked all the way through the ride to me. I sooo wanted her to be quiet. We were the only two in the boat and the boats were few and far between. Except for my mothers babbeling ...that was the best POTC ride I have ever had. It was so cool to feel like I was the only one in the ride..:)

QueenAlisha
02-28-2005, 05:53 PM
i sing along with the song :( and only talk when we have the boat to ourself. i can not stand it when people must scream on the honted mansion, i mean give me a break. last time not only was it in the elevator but the whole ride. VERY VERY Loudly. it just gets old.

Marox3
02-28-2005, 06:07 PM
We've had the talkers and those that insist on taking digital pictures. The camera light is so bright, it ruins the mood.

I personally use the ride to catch up on things. Rest my feet, redo my lipstick, rearrange my bag, put other things away, clean my glasses. When I get off the ride I'm completely refreshed and had a great time doing it (but I'm quiet about it).

DEADmenTELLnoTALES
02-28-2005, 07:00 PM
no doubt...i pride myself on knowking about 75% of both POTC and the HM, but even if i do talk along with the narration its usually in my GF's ear or loud enough for just my friends to hear (show off :p ) but yeah like i said screaming or being extremly loud is really out of place throughout the ENTIRE ride.

SoCalDude
02-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Ya, I truly hate it when people spend the ride to catch up things. There are jsut sme things I do not wish to know about, lol.

Dream Again
02-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, it can get annoying. The only time I agree with it is when a little kid is scared amd the adult is trying to talk them through it.

Disney Vault
02-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I am fine with talking when it is just like pointing stuff out on the ride or even a little history on the ride but I hate when people seem to talk about their personal lives.

HorizonsA
02-28-2005, 09:06 PM
I am fine with talking when it is just like pointing stuff out on the ride or even a little history on the ride but I hate when people seem to talk about their personal lives.

Now see, that's fine, as long as you don't shout while on Pirates, "HEY, WE'RE ABOUT TO GO ON A WATERFALL!" A comment like that could really ruin an experience for a first-timer. Or when you're on Tower of Terror and you know that there are several people who are experienceing this for the first time and you hear a kid in the back row say, "We're not dropping yet." That's annoying.

I did go on Big Thunder Mountain once and my brother and I sat behind three Asian men. They talked the entire time and it sounded as if they were in deep conversation. Of all rides to "catch up" on. :rolleyes:

b52hbuff
02-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I had a very bad talking experience on this ride...

I was all set to get a boat by myself. They load 'singles' in the middle of the boad. All of a sudden a group of four folks ran up and were seated behind me. Just before the boat dispatches, two people get up an get in the front row.

...then the two groups started talking between rows, through me. Clearly loud enough that I could hear and it was distracting. I asked nicely at first, and they made some comment that they we 'catching up'. I suggested they postpone until after the ride. They are quiet for a little while before starting up again.

I lost it and said, "I don't want to hear about you're f-ing personal lives!"

It certainly shut them up. The parents asked me to apologize for swearing in front of their kids. I said I would if they apologized for talking in the ride. They declined and I declined. Then they threatened bodily harm...

I used to carry a 35mm camera with an external flash. Nothing like a flash in the face to shut someone up.

Disney Vault
02-28-2005, 10:01 PM
It certainly shut them up. The parents asked me to apologize for swearing in front of their kids. I said I would if they apologized for talking in the ride. They declined and I declined. Then they threatened bodily harm...

I used to carry a 35mm camera with an external flash. Nothing like a flash in the face to shut someone up.
Wow :eek:

Laffite
03-01-2005, 01:27 AM
I had a very bad talking experience on this ride...

I was all set to get a boat by myself. They load 'singles' in the middle of the boad. All of a sudden a group of four folks ran up and were seated behind me. Just before the boat dispatches, two people get up an get in the front row.

...then the two groups started talking between rows, through me. Clearly loud enough that I could hear and it was distracting. I asked nicely at first, and they made some comment that they we 'catching up'. I suggested they postpone until after the ride. They are quiet for a little while before starting up again.

I lost it and said, "I don't want to hear about you're f-ing personal lives!"

lol. There's a 50% chance that was me! ;)

sdfilmcritic
03-01-2005, 01:46 AM
On the subject matter of talkative groups on POTC: I'm am guilty as charged. When I went with my friends I asked them (as we were being launched into the ride) if we were going to be the annoying talkative bunch because they wouldn't shut up and all of them said in unison a resounding yes. My cousins are the same way. Then there was one group I went with and we took up two entire boats! We created waves (literally) during the ride. :fez:

dalhar35
03-01-2005, 03:49 AM
I guess we got lucky-we just got back from Disneyland(19th-25th) and went on Pirates 8 times. I don't recall anyone talking during any of the 8 trips. Of course I am always sitting with one of my girls and we are always pointing out something to one another, but in a respectful way to those also on board. We did have one young lady take a picture right after the second drop but that was the only one she took(thank goodness). Pirates is my favorite ride so maybe I am so caught up in the ride I don't realize whats going on with the rest of the boat. I love the transition from the swamp of the Blue Bayou down into the pirates hidden treasure. My 8 year olds favorite is the pirate on the right laying with the three pigs, especially his dirty feet(dirty piggy toes). Each time we go on Pirates we have a contest and see if we can see something none of us noticed before. My 11 year old noticed the pirate sitting on the bridge you go under even has hair on the leg that dangles down towards the boat.
A Pirates life (is number 1) for me

wabby1
03-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I noticed on the "Day in Disneyland" video is that one of the jailed pirates who is calling for the dog with the keys refers to the dog as a "furry little bitch." I was thinking that it couldn't be right, but upon listening again, its TRUE!!

You just never know what you'll hear!!

sdfilmcritic
03-01-2005, 06:38 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but one thing I noticed on the "Day in Disneyland" video is that one of the jailed pirates who is calling for the dog with the keys refers to the dog as a "furry little bitch." I was thinking that it couldn't be right, but upon listening again, its TRUE!!I'm sure this was removed not too long after the ride opened. I know it would definitely had been removed during the PC revamp back in the nineties. No extremist womens lib group would let that line fly.

bradk
03-01-2005, 06:52 AM
well, technically, bitch does refer to a female dog (or the female of any carniverous species, but usually dog).

although the english language is very vulnerable to change.

sdfilmcritic
03-01-2005, 06:56 AM
That is a true statement brad, but people do tend to get a little extreme just to get their way with things.

03-01-2005, 06:58 AM
And speaking of a bitch, here I am to put all ride talkers on notice: do not talk. Don't do it.

Thankyouverymuch,
-Helen/3894

got2travel
03-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Oh man, I posted about talkers on my recent trip report. Not only do they talk, but they talk loudly to be heard over the pirates.

I went on HM one time, where a high school actress wanted to 'test' her screams. She screamed at the top of her lungs from the time our host showed his hanging skeleton until the chamber doors opened. And of course I was standing right next to her. Couldn't hear much on the rest of the ride.