PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report (2/18 - 21) Very loooong

meagee
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Friday, February 18:

Decided pretty much last minute (aka finally talked my husband into going) to go to Disneyland for the long weekend. Unfortunately, one of my bosses had something going and so I could not leave early. Got out of work at 4:30; my husband picked me up at BART at 5:30; and we were on our way. DD gave me Disney moment when she told me she knew how to say Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious (sp?). So, of course, we had to sing it. Then we sang A Spoonful Of Sugar and Feed the Birds. We stopped to eat dinner in Westley at Subway. Got everyone fed and dewatered and hit I-5 once again. I drove for a few hours and then my husband got to drive through the Grapevine and into LA. First hit rain going through the Grapevine and it kept on through LA – sometimes harder than others. Sometimes the rain was very hard and visibility was difficult with so many trucks kicking up the water at us. Thunder and lighting. I was glad my DD (age 8) was asleep as she would have been frightened. Finally, got to HoJo’s about 12:10 am and by 12:30 we were in the room and telling the kids to go back to sleep. Of course, we had to wake them up to get to the room and now they were ready to go, while Mom and Dad (Mom especially likes her sleep) wanted to crash.

meagee
02-28-2005, 02:18 PM
Saturday, February 19:

Since we had decided to go while I was at work, my husband was in charge of packing. Not the best plan. His packing was telling the kids to get such-and-such, but not checking to see that they did. Therefore, DD arrived wearing a pair of flats with no back and only a mesh top. Not practical for a rainy day. So, I got everyone up early so we could head to Wal-Mart when they opened at 7 am. Ended up we needed a lot of things. Shoes for both kids, socks, ponchos for the kids and my husband gleefully (just got our income tax) bought a new digital camera among many other items. Finally, headed to Disneyland about 9:30 am. I swear one day I will make it to Disneyland before it opens!

Arrived at the pack and it almost instantly started pouring pretty hard. We ran to the Emporium to get a hat for my husband and myself to go under our ponchos. My kids both had hoods attached to their coats. The Emporium was full of people buying ponchos and putting ponchos on their kids. From the Emporium, we ran next door to the bakery. My husband stood in line for hot cocoa while I went to find a table. Finally, found one way at the opposite end just outside Refreshment Corner. Watched the rain falling down and people running around trying to get out of it. When my husband finally found me (the kids did not tell him where I was), we sat about ½ hour until the rain finally let up.

Then, on to Peter Pan. Peter Pan, for me, is a Must. And, of course, the best time to do it is the very first thing in the morning because that is when the line is shortest. We rode Peter Pan, then DD and I headed to Mr. Toad and DH and DS headed for the Matterhorn. After Toad, DD and I went to the Carousel. It was still raining this whole time – just not the huge downpour it had been earlier. After the ride on the Carousel was over and she was getting off the horse, DD fell and landed on her back on the cement. She fell off the horse, landing on her feet on the wood floor of the Carousel, but then her feet went out from under her and fell on her back on the cement portion. I felt horrible. I had tried to reach for her in time but was not able to. She bounced right up and said she was fine, but it could have been a very bad incident. Must be very careful this trip.

meagee
02-28-2005, 02:19 PM
We met up with the boys and were planning to go to Pirates and then HM. But, DD suddenly decided that she thought maybe she would try the Matterhorn. Now this is a matter for great rejoicing. DD has been very off and on about some of the rides. A few years ago, she would go on everything and loved it. Then, she got afraid of everything and would not go on HM, Pirates, BTMR, Matterhorn. Last December, she had decided once again to brave BTMR and we had to go on it 3 times in a row. So, willing to try the Matterhorn! Wow! So, we got in line. She was very nervous and kept saying that she had butterflies in her stomach. I told her that the “snow monster” would not move (maybe wave its arms), but could not walk as it was not real. And I told her to not expect to be scared, but expect to have fun like on BTMR. Finally, our turn arrived. She sat in front of me and I kept chanting “Big Thunder Mountain” over her head. She screamed when we saw the Yeti’s eyes and then when we passed him when it waved its arms, I could hear her yell at me, “He moved!” When we stopped, I said how was it and she said Let’s do it again! So, we did.

Also on this trip, the first time we rode Pirates, she clung to me saying she did not like the drops. I keep telling her that these little drops are much shorter than the ones on other rides, but it has never seemed to influence her much. This time, while she did not like the first drop, she was fine on the second. The next day when we rode Pirates again, she didn’t want to be held at all. Her little arms were up well before the first drop and she was smiling and laughing and ready to “whoo!” Remember, what your child may not like this year, she may well love next year.

I won’t bore you with every detail but we had a lot of fun, rain or not. It was rather more crowded than I expected because of the rain, but everyone was well prepared with umbrellas and ponchos. I know some people like umbrellas, but I did not like them at all. You were always in danger of being poked in your head or your eye and more than once I or one my kids got doused with water from the run-off off the umbrella. I had my own rain to contend with and did not feel that it was quite right to be subjected to others’ rain as well.

During the trip, I kept telling my husband about various things I had learned on this forum. We ate rainbow sherbet at the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor. We actually met Maynard at the Lincoln show. We saw the Lincoln show because I knew it was closing in a few days. We were also able to see a few of the Mickeys in DCA because I knew they would be leaving in a few days.

meagee
02-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Sunday, February 20:

Sunday, my DS woke up with a fever and once again I was not able to be right at the gates when they opened. We stayed in bed after dosing him until the fever abated. He said he was feeling better and off we went – with Motrin in my bag to keep him going. He did peter out pretty early on Sunday, but that was okay. It was getting chilly and we were all wet, so we made an early night and stopped off at Millie’s for dinner. Was pretty nice and good food.

Monday, February 21:

We all slept in and walked across the street to Millie’s for breakfast. While dinner was good, breakfast was not. I mean, the food was pretty good, but service was very slow. A party of 8 came in and left before we were able to leave (family of 4). We were kept waiting several times for various things and when my husband was paying, I told him to not leave a tip. I think I have only done that 1 other time in my life, but I could not believe how long this was taking. It seemed to me that being a few blocks from the park that service should have been working hard to get people in and out so they could go to the park. While we will probably eat a leisurely dinner there again sometime, breakfast there is out. After eating, we went back to the hotel and checked out. We then spent a few hours shopping at the character warehouse and then a quick stop off at ESPN. My husband is the envy of all his sports buddies because he gets t-shirts there. Finally, at 2 pm, we were ready to hit the road and head for home. Hit much traffic and much rain in LA. My husband thinks I’m crazy, but I am already planning on my next trip.

Sorry. I did warn you it was long.

Earkid
02-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Great trip report!! It wasn't too long (you obviously haven't read mine LOL). I liked the Matterhorn story, "He moved" HA HA. How old are your kids? :D

meagee
03-01-2005, 08:40 AM
I hate it when parents gush about their kids -- but Lauretta is 8 and Matt is 9. Just the perfect ages to be (almost on L's part) willing to try anything.

rentayenta
03-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the great report! BTW, there is no such thing as a too long or too detailed trip report :D