PDA

View Full Version : Character Dining Part Deux: The Food

02-28-2005, 01:07 PM
The characters are majorly important, of course!

Food second. Now, about that food: what's good, indifferent, or bad about the food at the character meals?

rentayenta
02-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Well, usually I would say that the food at Goofy's Kitchen is good but after our last trip, I can't. It was cold and the selection wasn't as varied as previous times. :rolleyes:

I haven't had the chance to try Storyteller's but plan to in December.

CarlieB
02-28-2005, 01:20 PM
We went to Storytellers twice in December, for breakfast, and really enjoyed it. We ordered off the menu rather than having the buffet though 9not big buffet people). I'd definitely go again:)

02-28-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm looking for specifics, if you care to list them. I think it would of interest to a lot of people.

CarlieB
02-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Hmmmm...well, we thought the food at Storytellers was of a pretty high standard, and very well presented. I had the fruit plate one morning and it was very generous, with plenty of different berries and different types of melon. The carrot bread they served with it was fantastic. One of the things I appreciated about the menu was the number of (relatively) healthy options on it. Our coffees were refilled often too, and the service was always very good. As I said before, we didn't try the buffet, but from what I could tell, most people there were taking the buffet option.

bluepearl
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
My boyfriend and I recently did the Lilo & Stitch breakfast at PCH Grill and I was really disappointed. The syrup for the waffles and pancakes tasted funny; the eggs and potatoes were bland; the yogurt for the fruit did not taste good (I swear I thought both bowls were the same flavor despite being labeled "plain" and "strawberry"). And to top it off, the soda was flat.

The only things I liked were the Mickey chicken nuggets and the fresh fruit. Did I set my expectations too high for this meal? I had read lots of good reviews and came out wondering, "Was that it?"

It was the one time I thought, "Man, I wish it was time for WDW again," as I really liked the food at Chef Mickey's.

Dream Again
02-28-2005, 03:05 PM
I have to agree with the first reply that Goofys Kitchen food can be cold. When I was little I went to some character breakfast down in Fantasyland. AWFUL! Don't know if they still have this, but the bacon was pretty much completely raw. Last one I went to was Ariels Grotto. We had a really sweet waitress. You get plenty of good food and afterwards they give you complimentary cotton candy!

Wendi
02-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Food at Storyteller's is awesome. French toast to die for, chilaquiles, grilled asparagus... mmm! Mickey waffles were way better than I thought they'd be. You can also order things like huevos rancheros and omelets there... the food is superb!!!

Oh, I usually sneak out a piece of fresh fruit for later in the day too... shhhh!

03-01-2005, 04:42 AM
It's been a really long time (8 years) since we had breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. I remember a huge selection. I remember my kids going for bacon, waffles, CoolWhip and sprinkles.

What are some of the best items on the Goofy buffet?

CoasterChickie
03-01-2005, 07:36 AM
The best thing at the character breakfasts are the omelettes that they make right on the spot. The chef will throw in any ingredients that you like and your food will be hot and fresh!!!

Susan L
03-01-2005, 08:08 AM
The food at Goofy's Kitchen is good and they have a good variety of foods. We also like the Breakfast with Minnie at the PCH Grill but, I think the character meals are different. We were not that impressed with the breakfast at the Plaza Inn, may-be it was just an off day.

03-01-2005, 08:19 AM
The food at Goofy's Kitchen is good and they have a good variety of foods.

Is it regular buffet fare, like Old Country Buffet or one of those places?

tod
03-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Is it regular buffet fare, like Old Country Buffet or one of those places?

Yeah, maybe a touch better than your local all-you-can-eat place, unless you live in Las Vegas. Nothing spectacular, but it's all palatable. Prime rib, or some other extra-large piece of beef carved to order, also turkey, fajitas, baked fish slabs, vegetables, nice salad selections, kid food (macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, peanut-butter-and-jelly pizza, Mickey-shaped chicken nuggets) and pretty-good desserts. (I'm a sucker for white-chocolate-chip-macadamia-nut cookies.) I wind up eating a lot of the Mickey-shaped chicken nuggets and resenting that I paid $30 to eat chicken nuggets.

--t

MrsPooh
03-01-2005, 09:50 AM
I have to agree with the first reply that Goofys Kitchen food can be cold.

See, what kills me about this is the price. We had thought about going to Goofy's Kitchen on our last visit and was shocked at the $30 price tag for a buffet. Then to have it cold, that would upset me. I guess we are spoiled living in Reno, we have some of the best buffets here. You can get a Lobster/Crab buffet for cheaper and the food is hot!

Earkid
03-01-2005, 10:55 AM
I can not honestly remember much of what I have eaten at Goofy's kitchen or Plaza Inn (when Pooh was there). I am too busy taking pics and watching the nieces and nephews interact with the characters. I know I've had some mini Mickey waffles (LOL that sounds funny) and they were good.

dalhar35
03-01-2005, 11:01 AM
We went to Goofy's Kitchen for Dinner. Ariel's Grotto for Lunch. Princess Breakfast for Breakfast. Goofy's kitchen Dinner had Prime Rib-my favorite. It's all you can eat and I made three trips. The horseradish sauce was good but the Au Jus was watery-not much flavor. The food overall was better than Hometown Buffet or other buffet type dining restaurants. Salad selection was okay-two different types of greens(baby greens and romaine) with about 20 toppings and about 6 dressings with sunflower kernals and croutons. The chef as making a pasta right behind the service line and I got some just as he finished-it was very good, complimented the prime rib nicely. The kids had a variety of food to chose from and this buffet is definetly suited for the younger crowd, who are more interested in the chraracters than the actual food. The dessert selection was good and I had a little of the mousse, goofy's cake, and pecan pie. The kids of course loved the ice cream machine and the various toppings. Ariel's grotto had the menu selections for lunch and I had the pasta which was pretty good. The cesar salad was good but my oldest daughter(12) did not like the chicken pot pie. It was okay to me but nothing to write home about. Cheese pizza my 11 yr old had was sad. 8 year old had the mac and cheese with the hot dog octapus-it was basic and okay for a young one. We had the peach cobbler for dessert and it ws very good. O f course we got the standard cotton candy for dessert also. Princess Breakfast had above average breakfast buffet. The made to order omelot's were my favorite-a lot of different choices-I skipped only the shrimp and jalapeno's. The first time we went the Bacon was a little on the raw side-next day it was much better-nice and crisp. The carved ham was good and you get a lot. The character interaction was so much it took awhile to finish breakfast-which was good. The swan desserts were excellent. And the kids loved the "worm mud" chocolate pudding with gummy worms. Hope this helps

Gramiangel420
03-01-2005, 11:15 AM
Thank you so much for your review. We have priority seating for the Princess Breakfast for 8am on March 20th and one of the nights we have priority seating for dinner at Goofy's kitchen. I was getting worried with some of the comments about these places the last few days. (That is why I went for the first seating for the princesses. Thought the food would be nice and fresh and warm. We are going mainly for the character interaction. My granddaughter is already planning on wearing her Cinderella dress. (with tennis shoes for comfort) ;)
Thanks again for the review of the food!

dalhar35
03-01-2005, 11:37 AM
If you can I reccommend Ariel's grotto for lunch. This was the best character interaction we experienced. The characters all came around the table and none seemed in a hurry to leave-Then the captain came through and got all the kids to follow him over to the gazebo. The characters met with the kids and they all did a conga line around the outside seating area ending up back at the gazebo. Then chip and Dale held a pole and all the kids did the limbo about three times with the pole lower each time. The they set the pole about a foot and a half from the ground and the captain did the limbo under it. After that the charaters dispersed but the captain stayed and talked to my girls for about 5 minutes. They had a great time. :D

Gramiangel420
03-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tip. We will have to go there. My seven year old granddaughter will be the only child when we go to the Plaza, but my grandson age 4 and my granddaughter age 1 will be with us at Goofy's and I think they would all love Ariel's Grotto with that kind of interaction.
We will have the best time ever thanks to all of you at Mouse Planet. :)