PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim Angels

gautry
12-27-2001, 09:50 AM
4/8/98 "WE WILL PAY TO WIN" M Eisner does he really mean it this time around

MickeyD
12-27-2001, 12:30 PM
Do you mean because they just signed Sele?

gautry
12-27-2001, 12:44 PM
the fact the mozo the clown is no longer an angel

AliKzam
12-27-2001, 03:41 PM
The Angels have had a history for a while of always getting rid of their best players. Before Disney ever bought them. Don't ask me why. Now, the Angels are my favorite team, but it bums me out that they always have to suck. When they finally start holding on to their good players, and stop just having a team that tourists from other towns can watch their team beat so they can feel good about their vacations, then I'll be happy.

gautry
01-02-2002, 08:46 AM
i belive it do just that

coronamouseman
01-02-2002, 06:46 PM
At this point in time, anybody who thinks that Disney is going to spend the necessary money to make the Angels or Mighty Ducks simply more than contenders needs to take a serious look at the events of the past couple of years.

Time and again Disney management of these teams has used the excuse of "fiscal responsibility" to avoid paying the kinds of salaries required to bring in productive and/or big name players.

Face the facts - Disney will only put enough money into the teams in order to make them more appealing to buyers, much the same way that real estate sharpies buy brokendown houses and refurbish them enough to bring in top dollar.

Fortunately for the Angels, Southern California has the weather and the tradition of being a baseball hotbed - these facts, combined with the new refurbished Edison Field, have been the reasons for good attendance at Angels games.

Fortunately for the Ducks, their best player is basically locked into serfdom with them because of the NHLPA collective bargaining agreement and they have a great deal with the Arrowhead Pond -
unfortunately the Kings have a nice new arena, a far better and deeper roster and a better coach just 30 easy miles away.

Disney could do everyone in Southern California a big favor by selling the Angels and Ducks to ownership which is willing to pay the price for success in MLB and the NHL.

2CN
01-02-2002, 06:57 PM
Even though they arnt the best teams, I support Disney 100% for not dishing out the outrageous money all these mega stars on the pro teams demand to play- then the MLB screams how attendence is down, that they are loosing millions of dollars, and they need to cut two teams to stop this major loss... just as they sign another player to a multi million dollar contract... yea, nothing more screams that we are in trouble then dishing out millions more to another over priced player. I'll take the Angles and Ducks anytime with their more resonably priced tickets and paid players over the Kings and the Dodgers anyday, hands down... at least I have hope of affording tickets to see the Angles or Ducks.

coronamouseman
01-02-2002, 07:32 PM
My dear 2CN:

Ducks tickets are not less expensive than Kings or other NHL tickets - in fact, a great number of Ducks seats are far more expensive than Kings, Sharks, Coyotes or even Red Wings.
Roughly 1/3 of Kings tickets in lower bowl of Staples Center average about $50 - price of Ducks tickets in entire lower bowl (Plaza) and in the entire 2nd level (Club) are $75. Ducks are no bargain in terms of tickets - big advantage to Anaheim is that you don't feel you have to run to your car, lock the doors and drive like hell to get out of downtown LA at 11:00PM at night........

And we're (my hockey playing sons and myself) not talking about paying millions for stiffs like Roenick or Chelios or Brett Hull - all we want is for the Ducks to spend the money required to deepen their roster with proficient role players who can make the team competitive and keep those contributors (both to the team and to the community) like a Teemu Selanne. Even now, the Ducks are talking (just talking mind you) about bringing in some free agent talent to boost the offense - hey Pierre, hey Eisner - the answer is just up I5 (via 101) in San Jose - now that you guys have the defense and goaltending that was missing, bring back the one guy who can make Paul Kariya a better player (rather than forcing PK to be the singular offensive messiah for the team)

No time to solve the Angel's problems - let the jokers who shell out $65 for a baseball ticket to sit on a park bench behind home plate eating sushi figure that one out ..............

AliKzam
01-02-2002, 07:58 PM
I don't know too much about the Ducks at all. I do know that there have been rumors that Disney wants to sell the Angels. When people want to sell their house, what's the first thing that's usually done? The house is fixed up. Maybe a coat of paint, some nice shelves installed, some flowers planted out front. I guess the two players the Angels acquired are pretty good. Now the Angels have some good pitching, along with their good fielders and such. Nice offense, nice defense. With a nice stadium, and a nice location. Sounds like a nice package, don'tcha think?

2CN
01-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Coronamouseman- Mighty Ducks tickets are cheaper then Kings tickets. Mighty Ducks tickets run between 15-175 dollars, where as the Kings run between 21-350 dollars. If you do not believe me, check out Ticket master.

Kings (https://ticketing.ticketmaster.com/cgi/purchasePage.asp?event_id=9003302E1953054&event_code=ESK0115&artistid=805961&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9&artimageid=.) and Ducks (https://ticketing.ticketmaster.com/cgi/purchasePage.asp?event_id=90032F9A9E3E2B8&event_code=EAM0109&artistid=805893&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=9&artimageid=.)

I've also noticed the Ducks run more specials then the Kings, again making it easier to afford to go- but since I don't really like the sport anyways, only went to one game which was the Kings Vs the Ducks, I havnt taken advantage of them.

(but I think this thing about who is cheaper, especialy being a hockey team is getting a bit off topic)

MickeyD
01-02-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by AliKzam
I don't know too much about the Ducks at all. I do know that there have been rumors that Disney wants to sell the Angels. When people want to sell their house, what's the first thing that's usually done? The house is fixed up. Maybe a coat of paint, some nice shelves installed, some flowers planted out front. I guess the two players the Angels acquired are pretty good. Now the Angels have some good pitching, along with their good fielders and such. Nice offense, nice defense. With a nice stadium, and a nice location. Sounds like a nice package, don'tcha think?

Generally the opposite happens with baseball teams. When teams are selling they seem to try to get their payrolls as low as possible. Just look at the Padres of 93ish or the Marlins of 97ish for examples.

2CN
01-02-2002, 08:52 PM
Anyone have any idea how much Disney had to put into the stadium vs Edison?

coronamouseman
01-02-2002, 09:00 PM
My Dear 2CN:

Ducks prices:

$175 Glass (one row of seats along glass)
$120 Rear Glass (about 30 seats altogether)
$75 All Plaza and Club level seats
$44 First 3 rows of Terrace
$32.50 Main Terrace (Between Goal Lines)
$27.50 Terrace Loge (Corners and Ends)
$15 Token cheap seats in high Ends

Kings prices:

$350 Glass (one row along glass)
$80.50 Lower Bowl (Between Goal Lines) (2/3 of LB)
$58.50 Lower Bowl Ends (1/3 of LB)
$100.00 Premier (3/5 of Upper Lower Bowl)
$48.50 Upper Lower Bowl Ends
$29.50 Upstairs Between Goals (1/3 of Upst)
$21.00 Upstairs Corners and Ends (2/3 of Upst)

So the bulk of seats downstairs are roughly comparable, but the upstairs seats at the Pond are far more expensive, running around $30 or so on average, while Staples upstairs are more like $24 on average

Both teams offer 4-ticket deals with food and parking for $80

Not trying be argumentative, but Ducks really aren't on a quest to hold down ticket prices (I believe this is the first year they haven't raised them) - they couldn't raise them this year because so many season ticketholders were already jumping ship they couldn't allow any more to desert.

Trust me, unless Ducks do something to gain back fan support they might get to the point where even Disney can't drum up a buyer unless they really want to just give the club away .........