PDA

View Full Version : The kitties at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

ToursbabeC3po
02-27-2005, 06:06 PM
As you all know there are several cats at Disneyland. There are several that are in the cast member parking lot as well. I have a few friends that feed the cats in the cast parking lot because these cats were so sick and malnourished. This was being done for over a year and out of some good hearted cast members pockets. Also some medical conditions for the cats were being taken care of by these cast members as well.
Recently with in the last few months we have been told we can not feed these cats anymore because they were not killing the mice population. I would not have a problem with this if these cats were not dependant on the food we bring and medical care. Also these cats were NEGLECTED and not healthy. It has taken over a year to get these poor cats in "good condition" (if you can even call it that) Fortunately their are cast members that will continue to feed the cats and I am so afraid they will get terminated because they refuse to see these animals suffer. Disney needs to take care of this problem. The cats inside the park are more healthy because the eat "left overs" and cast members hide food for them but the ones in the parking lot are getting there food thrown away by uncompassionate security guards. It is set out everyday and an hour later it is thrown away.
A concerned animal lover
Toursbabe

TrekkieDad
02-27-2005, 06:11 PM
Sounds like these cats need to be relocated or adopted. A parking lot is no place for a cat to reside.

Rouxe1688
02-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Can they be moved inside DL or DCA?

ToursbabeC3po
02-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Sounds like these cats need to be relocated or adopted. A parking lot is no place for a cat to reside.
No it is not right!
I just have to tell you that I love your count down clock it is GREAT!
Toursbabe

rentayenta
02-27-2005, 06:28 PM
That is awful :crying: If Disney doesn't want them there anymore, starving and neglecting them is not the right thing to do. They need to nurse them back to health and then adopt them out. Disney and animal cruelty should not go hand in hand :(

Earkid
02-27-2005, 06:55 PM
It doesn't make sense for CM's to feed and cover medical expenses for these cats and yet not take them home. If the CM's aren't going to give them a home then they need to be collected and taken to a shelter. Let Disney find some other way to kill the mice.

ToursbabeC3po
02-27-2005, 07:03 PM
We can take them to orange county human society. You know what there policy is? Three days adopt policy. IF they are not adopted in three days they destroy the cats. These cats are not house cats they are Tomcats. They still should not be subject to Cruelty.
Toursbabe

bradk
02-27-2005, 07:06 PM
disney DOES want them which is why disney has been letting them live on site for years. but they also want them to control the rodent population and evidently that's not getting done and disney is blaming it on people feeding the cats to the point where there's no need for the cats to be chasing mice.

GreenDragon
02-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Recently with in the last few months we have been told we can not feed these cats anymore because they were not killing the mice population.

My cats are very well fed, and they still hunt (I live in "the boonies", so field mice tend to get in my house on a regular basis. Nothing says "love" like half a dead mouse on the foot of the bed. :rolleyes: ). That sounds like a bogus objection to me, especially since the cats clearly don't have a sufficient food supply out in the parking lot. :mad:

AVP
02-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I am a cat lover, but I don't understand what you expect Disney to do about this. As you yourself said, if Disney rounds them all up and takes them to a shelter, they will be killed after three days. Then Disney will be made out to be villains. Yet if Cast Members continue to feed them, the cats will be attracted to the area. I have a hard time believing that Disney is actually intentionally using feral cats to control the rodents in a parking lot.

Your anger should be directed at people who let their cats roam loose without have them spayed or neutered.

AVP

Maus
02-27-2005, 07:12 PM
We can take them to orange county human society. You know what there policy is? Three days adopt policy. IF they are not adopted in three days they destroy the cats. These cats are not house cats they are Tomcats. They still should not be subject to Cruelty.
Toursbabe

No, these cats are feral cats. They are wild and in most cases they would not be candidates for domestication. I hope that when the CMs took them for medical care (how did they do that anyway--traps?) they were also spayed and neutered.

bradk
02-27-2005, 07:23 PM
My cats are very well fed, and they still hunt (I live in "the boonies", so field mice tend to get in my house on a regular basis. Nothing says "love" like half a dead mouse on the foot of the bed.
you've answered your own 'question.' these cats don't have such loyalties to anyone. they're in the park because they've been breeding there pretty much on their own and keep to themselves in most cases. they're there with the hopes that they kill rodents out of necessity and not loyalty.

I hope that when the CMs took them for medical care (how did they do that anyway--traps?)
you'd be surprised how quickly an individual will become subservient and friendly towards another individual who becomes an easy, reliable and vital source for food and affection. there have been several 'pets' made throughout the years.

ToursbabeC3po
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
I never said we took them for medical care we provided care for them. Several of the cats had lesions and we put antibiotic cream on them. These cats have come to know a few people and trust them.
Cast members were told that these cats are used to kill the mice in the parking lot they were very clear about that. The only reason cast members stepped in is because the were thin, frail, and ill. Wouldn't you do the same if you saw a sick animal? All we want is for Disney to let us to continue to feed them. I am no longer a cast member so I can't get in trouble for saying this but I can guarantee that if I was I would have been Terminated for exposing this. I am doing this on behalf of the cast members that cannot speak out!
(((((((hugs)))))))
Toursbabe

AVP
02-27-2005, 07:29 PM
Several years ago there was a very pregnant, very scrawny mamma kitty begging for scraps at French Market. A cast member shoo'd her away by smacking her with a broom. I was horrified that he hit her, and told a manager about it. The manager said that they would call Circle D Ranch to see if they would take her. I doubt they did.

As much as my heart bled for that cat, and as much as I wanted Disney to take care of that one pregnant cat, and as much as I wish the Kitty Fairies would sweep down from the sky and prevent any cat from having to suffer... the reality is that Disney really can't do anything without actively trapping these cats. And then what? Do it all over again in 6 months when the next batch of cats moves in? Do you remember the furor when Fantasmic opened, and there were allegations that ducks on TSI were being trapped / abused / killed? It was in the news for a while. And then the ducks learned that when the Rivers of America bubble after dark, it's time to move their tails.

The apartment complex I once lived in did annual feral cat round ups. They posted warnings a week in advance telling people that they were going to round up any loose cats on XXX day, and asking people to keep their cats inside. And they got complaints from residents who thought it was cruel to do this to the cats. This was just an apartment complex - if Disney did it, it would become the 6 o'clock news.

Just look at what happened with that tiger last week. The locals are still protesting that.

AVP

bradk
02-27-2005, 07:33 PM
funny.. if a guest went into cardiac arrest, many castmembers said they'd risk their job to do what they felt was right regardless of the rules.

yet when it comes to the treatment (or lack thereof) of cats, nobody feels it's important enough to speak out unless they've already been termed.

guess it's just not that important afterall.

HorizonsA
02-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Someone mentioned in a previous post that these cats should be moved into the parks. I've seen several cats in Disneyland. I went to eat lunch at the Hungry Bear restaurant in Critter Country and since Iwas alone I decided to sit on the second level at the far corner where you can see the railroad tracks. Anyway, There were about two cats out and about and just wandering around. They seemed quiet friendly as they rubbed themselves against the chairs. They came close to me but didn't come close enough for me to pet them. I wish I had some kind of food to give them, but I don't think they would eat the fries I had. I looked across the railroad tracks and I noticed about two more cats walking around. I think it's amusing that they've made Disneyland their home but at the same time, I feel bad for those kitties because they don't get the nutrition that they need daily. I have four cats of my own back home and I don't like to see poor unfortunate cats.

Dream Again
02-27-2005, 08:03 PM
Aw :( I always feel so bad for those kitties. One came up to me and my mom wanting food one day. He looked so lonely and malnourished. Surely the food CMs give them isn't going to fill them up enough to be too full for the mice (which I have never seen). I say they let the CMs keep on keepin' the cats healthy. Hasn't Disney seen some of their own movies?

bradk
02-27-2005, 08:06 PM
mice are a lot less likely to be seen than the cats are. they prefer it to be dark and empty when they come out. they're a lot more secretive. rats too.

for every mouse you do see, there's probably about 100 you don't see, but you'll definitely find their droppings and things they've chewed to bits.

whatever disney's been doing in the past must have been working because the health department hasn't shut them down yet.

stitchlvr
02-27-2005, 08:09 PM
Since I don't live in Southern California, I am not familiar with rescue agencies down there, but I do know in Northern California there are a organizations that do animal rescue (with a no kill policy) and some of these agencies even deal with feral cats. I can tell you that the policy on feral cats is that they usually trap the cats to have them spayed or neutered and they re-release them where they were trapped. However, in a situation like this, they may have an alternate area to release the animals where there is a more constant food source. It is worth looking into. It can be frustrating to find someone who is willing to help (I recently dealt with a similar situation), but there are more people out there willing to help then you may realize. Good luck!

yummy mummy
02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
What if you tipped off a very vocal animal rights group??? If it did make the news Disney would be forced to do something and do it humanely(everyones watching).
One reason the cats may be in poor health could be from eating mice that are more than likely poisoned and thus exposed to arsenic or whatever. After repeated exposure to small amounts of poison you would be sick but not deathly ill for quite some time. The cats probably could really use some fresh water and wormer they must be full of parasites the poor things :crying:
I suggest calling the news paper yourself or contacting a vocal animal rights group like P.E.T.A. (people for the ethical treatment of animals). They would probably love to help you out!

AVP
02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
If it did make the news Disney would be forced to do something and do it humanely(everyones watching). Again, I have to ask: what do you want Disney to do? If you're going to take the step of contacting an animal rights group or even the media, what action are you going to call for?

Disney to round up all of the feral cats on property?
Have them all spayed and neutered?
Provide medical treatment to all of them?
Reelocate them to a no-kill shelter?
Provide food and water to them all around property?

I'm serious - what do you want Disney to do?

They've asked cast members to stop feeding them. That will encourage the cats to go elsewhere. I'm sure the reason behind the "no feed" policy is *not* because it will make them so hungry they'll eat more mice, but because this will reduce the cat population. So long as the cats are fed, they are going to stay on property and keep breeding. I've seen the lovely kittens all over the park. They're adorable, but Disneyland is not a cat preserve.

You know, cats aren't the only wild animals on Disney property. Where is the Duck Rescue Society? People for the Ethical Treatment of Squirrels? Seriously - why is the plight of wild cats different than that of wild parakeets? (Yes, Disneyland has those too)

I love animals. I am the daughter of a one-woman animal rescue society. I've grown up with dogs and cats and birds of all varieties. But I can't understand what people expect Disney to do about WILD CATS, nor why there isn't as much uproar about the wild ducks. I mean, those poor creatures have to live on POPCORN for crying out loud!

AVP

yummy mummy
02-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Again, I have to ask: what do you want Disney to do? If you're going to take the step of contacting an animal rights group or even the media, what action are you going to call for?

Provide food and water to them all around property?

They've asked cast members to stop feeding them. That will encourage the cats to go elsewhere. I'm sure the reason behind the "no feed" policy is *not* because it will make them so hungry they'll eat more mice, but because this will reduce the cat population. So long as the cats are fed, they are going to stay on property and keep breeding. I've seen the lovely kittens all over the park. They're adorable, but Disneyland is not a cat preserve.

You know, cats aren't the only wild animals on Disney property. Where is the Duck Rescue Society? People for the Ethical Treatment of Squirrels? Seriously - why is the plight of wild cats different than that of wild parakeets? (Yes, Disneyland has those too)

I love animals. I am the daughter of a one-woman animal rescue society. I've grown up with dogs and cats and birds of all varieties. But I can't understand what people expect Disney to do about WILD CATS, nor why there isn't as much uproar about the wild ducks. I mean, those poor creatures have to live on POPCORN for crying out loud!

AVP Personally I think if they had them all fixed it would help. 2 kitties would not equal 30 by years end. I personally am not opposed to humane euthanasia... it is better than starving to death. These cats are NOT feral. You dont SEE many feral cats (they may be there but hiding) and you cannot pet them. These are tame wild cats... they have always been around people.
If they were herded up I am sure they would find homes (if they had media attention that is).
I cant assess the situation though. I am a 20 hour drive away. And if you are worried about bad publicity for disney remember ANY PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY. It just might benefit a few kitties too!

SCUBAbe
02-27-2005, 09:41 PM
I don't think Disney is going to do much about the situation, but as a guest I feed the cats also. We saw cute little kitties over at DCA..:)..one time a very skinny cat walked right by us as we ate at the french market. She didn;t seem scared of us, but she didn't stop either. I was kind of surprised I saw it. I thought they only came out at night, but I guess if they are hungry they will do what they can to eat.

bradk
02-28-2005, 01:58 AM
One reason the cats may be in poor health could be from eating mice that are more than likely poisoned and thus exposed to arsenic or whatever.

Not sure where the poison would come from. Disney USED to try to poison the pest population but stopped after a boy ended up eating one of the poisoned hot dogs they used. Shortly after, they found the cats living in the castle and that's when they started just relying on the cats to help cut down on the mice.

MrsG
02-28-2005, 09:20 AM

They can do all of the above. There are feral cat associations out there that do exactly that. (Both of my cats are offspring of former feral cats). Ducks, squirrels and other wild animals are just that - wild. They know how to care for themselves. Cats are a domesticated animal. Domesticated: to adapt (an animal or plant) to life in intimate association with and to the advantage of humans. They depend on us humans to care for them. Whether or not Disney created this problem, it is still a problem on their property and needs to be addressed beyond just telling CMs to ignore all sick, emmaciated, pathetic, starving cats.