PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' Over California question

Pages : [1] 2 3

soccerlady16
02-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Does anybody know how high you are lifted in Sorin' Over California?

Larilyn
02-25-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't know the exact height.....someone else probably does. But it depends on which row you're in in the first place. Cause the front row obviously get's lifted significantly higher than the third row.

I don't think it's too high....maybe thirty feet?

Cancer Norm
02-25-2005, 08:07 AM
I think you're right. About 30 feet for the upper tier.

experiment626
02-25-2005, 08:24 AM
I believe I read it is 40+/- feet??

JosieGirl71
02-25-2005, 08:27 AM
However high it was, I wasn't expecting it to be that high and it scared the heck out of me!

You are seated in rows and the row in front of you will be above you during the actual "ride".

JSKoehler
02-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Is there an "escape" mechanism. If its 30-40 feet, I doubt we will get my kids on it, and even if we did, I would be concerned that they (or other children, or even a few adults) might "freak". How secure do you feel in the "seats"?

kbanmen
02-25-2005, 08:48 AM
I feel secure in the seats. My 4 year old just loves the ride (of course I have my arm around her the whole time) and she hates that. SHe is 41 inches and the height requirement is 40..this is her favorite ride..(and TOT)

bradk
02-25-2005, 08:52 AM
just to clarify, you're loaded something like this:

R3 R2 R1

and the ride flips around, so you end up like this

R1
R2
R3

when people talk about being 30 feet up or so, that's the first row. as you can imagine, the other rows are quite a bit lower because they have to be spaced out to allow the complete height of other riders.

JSKoehler
02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
We will have a special assistance pass for my older son, who is autistic, would it be "kosher" to request that we be seated in the rows that will be lowest? We got the SAP when we took them to WDW, but used it sparingly because we did not want to abuse the privilege.

Earkid
02-25-2005, 09:07 AM
You don't really notice how high you are since you don't see the floor during the ride, they move you forward, up and away from the floor. Not knowing how high you actually are can be good and bad.

Before they take you into the seating area there is a pre-flight spiel where they show a little clip of how the seats get into position at the beginning of the ride. It's funny to hear all the first timers kindof gasp when they see that part.

Every first-timer that I have helped calm down while in line ends up loving the ride. Afterward they say "That wasn't bad at all". Don't let your initial nerves get the best of you and make the ride scarier in your mind then it actually is. You'll love it.

Requesting a certain row should NOT be a problem at all. Just tell the CM's as you are at the end of the last ramp.

tjaa
02-25-2005, 09:16 AM
Is there an "escape" mechanism. If its 30-40 feet, I doubt we will get my kids on it, and even if we did, I would be concerned that they (or other children, or even a few adults) might "freak". How secure do you feel in the "seats"?

Ask to load in the third row (lowest, maybe 15'), my 5 year olds love the ride. We always ask to be in the first row (highest) as you don't see feet hanging from above and the middle loading section puts you in the center of the screen, all seats are good. Seats are very secure, once the ride starts you will forget all about seat height :)

itig
02-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Love this ride...I get motion sickness from it, but I still like to ride it occasionally. I liked it best sitting dead center from a height and left/right standpoint. You don't see the sides, top and bottom of the screen really from this spot and the illusion works better for me...which is bad, cuz it makes me want to barf...um, never mind :P

bradk
02-25-2005, 09:38 AM
I liked it best sitting dead center from a height...which is bad, cuz it makes me want to barf

note to self: do not ride in 3rd row.

Leash81
02-25-2005, 09:41 AM
I am terrified of heights, don't even like being on the 2nd floor of a building, but I love this ride and the front row is the best. When the ride first starts and you go forward and up I always get a little nervous but then the film begins and I forget how high up I am and start to giggle like a kid.

GeminiAngel
02-25-2005, 09:45 AM
I once read somewhere it the highest row is 45ft.

bradk
02-25-2005, 09:45 AM
just as a sidebar here re: fear of heights. i really don't know what this means to anyone, but i have severe acrophobia. complete with little fits of vertigo. i can't sit high near the front of a balcony or anything without wondering when it is i'm about to fall over and tumble to my death.

HOWEVER, it's a lot different in a controlled environment like on a ride. I mean, logistically speaking, what are the odds you're going to get hurt on a ride that tens of thousands go on without incident? sure, there's always the one chance, but 99%+ of ride accidents occur when people don't follow safety measures. there's just some point where you have to let your sense of logic control your fears.

slydini
02-25-2005, 09:50 AM
I was told by a CM that if you are sitting in the front row of the center section you are fifty feet up. You really can't tell, the ride keeps your mind off that. When I first rode it really scared me, I don't do heights that well. When it got to much for me I simply closed my eyes. Workd like a charm. I now love the ride.

Disneyfreak
02-25-2005, 09:54 AM

Stop worrying about that and just have fun for crying out loud. :) I am 100 percent sure they have an evacuation system. It is probably one of the safest rides in the entire park. Even my grandparents go on it and it is their favorite ride.

Terri
02-25-2005, 10:21 AM
I can completely relate to a fear of heights...I am usually terrified that I will fall off a balcony, etc. However, I usually talk myself through those fears and never change hotel rooms. This ride...I love, but I'm always a little nervous when it starts. My son has the same issues, but we always go on the ride 2 or 3 times a visit.
Have fun! :fez:

JosieGirl71
02-25-2005, 10:52 AM
I had several waves of panic when I was on this ride. With just having a seatbelt only, I felt like I could fall (especially when it feels like you are turning and "swooping" down). I only rode it once and I am curious as to how I will react when I ride it again.

I actually thought that Soarin' and ToT were the scariest rides at DCA (and I rode Screamin' and Maliboomer). :eek:

wabby1
02-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I love the ride. Its become my favorite in CA. And I'm also fearful of heights, but for some reason Soarin' didn't bother me. I've found that it's best to get in the front row position when waiting in line. We even let other riders go ahead of us so we could get there....

Crazy4DL
02-25-2005, 11:09 AM
I am not crazy over heights either and have to talk my self into calming down if I or the kids get too high and too close to the edge when we are high - even when noone really is too close :) BUT I loved this ride from the very first time. It is so smooth and fun I think anyone that is tall enough to go on it will really enjoy it - you don't really notice you are very far off the ground. Our little guys were under 40" last time but this trip (August) they will be able to ride it and I think they are going to love it. I can't wait to take them on my favorite ride in DCA. One thing - I just happened to be in the back row (3, I think) the first time so really wasn't all that far from the ground - which might be a good thing to ask for the first time to get use to it and fall in love with the ride then try rows 1 or 2 andyou won't even care if you are a bit higher - just an idea.

SuefromRI
02-25-2005, 11:30 AM
I love Soarin and don't think of it as being high off the ground cuz you move forward to view the screen surrounding you, rather than looking down at the ground.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
I had several waves of panic when I was on this ride. With just having a seatbelt only
:eek:

I thought there was a shoulder restraint too??? I remember that was the part I hated the most, but, the ride is fantastic once I got over my claustrophobic feeling of being stuck in that seat!!!!

GeminiAngel
02-25-2005, 12:48 PM
I thought there was a shoulder restraint too??? I remember that was the part I hated the most, but, the ride is fantastic once I got over my claustrophobic feeling of being stuck in that seat!!!!

Wasn't soarin. no shoulder restraints.