PDA

View Full Version : How about "real" wine tasting in DCA?

80S ERA
02-24-2005, 01:43 PM
I was walking by the winery during lunch today and wondered to myself...

If we have bread baking and tortilla making as an "attraction" in DCA, why don't we have wine tasting? Yes, I'm aware they have several wines available by-the-glass, but I'm really surprised that there isn't something better than simply a movie that hardly plays accompanied by some bar stools outside in the sun.

I was imagining the possibilities of a true California wine experience. Although I'm not a true "wine buff," my wife and I would be willing to actually pay to have some quality wines sampled accompanied by a guided tour of a facade winery. Some of the finer details of wine tasting could be presented by a cast member like breathing into the goblet and the purpose of "swishing" a wine. There could even be some animatronic grape pickers shown during the show.

At the end of the show, real wine tasting would be available in rooms similar to the layouts of Napa and Sonoma wine tasting rooms. A gift shop would be at the exit of the attraction and would have wines and accessories available for purchase.

The attraction would be geared toward the beginner/novice wine taster. Even Mondavi himself felt that the public is often too intimidated by the whole concept of wine tasting.

Who else would be interested in such a thing?

bluepearl
02-24-2005, 02:02 PM
I believe there already is a wine-tasting program at the Trattoria. It costs about $10 and you get to sample a variety of wines. I personally have not tried it. However, I was told that they don't give you something to keep your palate neutral, so I don't know how much that affects your tasting.

AVP
02-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Who else would be interested in such a thing?Apparently not enough people to keep the original gift shop that opened with the restaurant open, and not enough people to attend the wine events that were held there.

I find it unfortunate that the marketing team seemed to spend so much time making DCA appear to be a different park than it is, that they were unable to use the park's existing assets to full advantage. WHY is there no "California Food and Wine" Festival at DCA? It's not like we don't have our share of local chefs and wineries to present such an event.

AVP

Opus1guy
02-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Heck...even at Disneyland Paris where the company finally relented to public demands and outcries in the Press about being wine-free...and allowed the sale of wine in a Magic Kingdom...nobody buys it! It turned out to be all just huffing and puffing. The park hardly sells any wine at all nor is there even much in the way of inquiries about it! Seems even the French mainly want sodas or water when at Disneyland.

Now over at Festival Disney...well that's another story. But still, not wine! Beer! I was told that Festival Disney is one of the highest volume beer purchasers in all of Europe!

marktips
02-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Doies anyone in CA make Ice Wine? Untiul they do, you wont have a successful Wine Festival ;)

You really dont need to make it a CA wine fest, rather a Wine Fest of all wines held ina very Wine-related place, ya know? Epcot is obviously the "international" festival but there are tons of other festivals that are successful but not totally regional - just wine fests for being wine fests.

sdfilmcritic
02-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I like the idea of wine tasting at DCA. After all there are a lot of wineries in California and that's what California wine drinkers do. So it would fit right into the theme of DCA.

80S ERA
02-25-2005, 06:48 AM
But still, not wine! Beer!

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Seaworld have a whole course on Beer making that included tasting? I think they were owned by Anhiser-Busch (sp?) at one point?

sdfilmcritic
02-25-2005, 06:49 AM
LOL. I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Seaworld have a whole course on Beer making that included tasting? I think they were owned by Anhiser-Busch (sp?) at one point?I think they still are owned by Anheiser Busch.

80S ERA
02-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Apparently not enough people to keep the original gift shop that opened with the restaurant open, and not enough people to attend the wine events that were held there.
AVP

Part of their problem (combined with inflated attendance figures to Mondavi) was in their execution. Even for someone who has an strong interest in wine the place looked too expensive and intimidating. I remember their shop selling finger sandwiches for $10!

sdfilmcritic
02-25-2005, 06:54 AM
I didn't even know about the whole wine tasting thing at DCA. I remember vaguely some things about the vineyard there and that the restaurant is expensive as hell. But if I had known about the wine tasting I probably would have signed up for it and then drag a friend along with me to it.

bradk
02-25-2005, 07:08 AM
Didn't Seaworld have a whole course on Beer making that included tasting? I think they were owned by Anhiser-Busch (sp?) at one point?

trust me. shamu needs more than just a few fish treats to make it through that kind of day.

they also own sesame place, but you can make up your own jokes about that one.

oregontraveler
02-25-2005, 07:37 AM
Had Miramax released Sideways, this would have been great tie-in. They should still try to capitalize on some way.

Stupid_American
02-25-2005, 07:42 AM
From an AP holder standpoint it might seem sensible.

But, I don't think people would want to spend $53 to enter the park and then spend the time and money necessary for a "tasting".

Cancer Norm
02-25-2005, 08:04 AM
I don't mind a Wine Fest in DCA as long as they keep the drunks out of DL. And for the people who don't really like wine, How about a Bourbon or Whiskey Fest?
Wine drinkers can sample their "Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill" & Annie Green Springs" . While the others can do shooters of "Gentleman Jack" & "Maker's Mark"!!!

And when were all good and blitzed in a mob mentality we go over to "Superstar Limo" and trash it to the point thay Disney will get the hint to build something else! LOL

My signature I think says it all...

80S ERA
02-25-2005, 08:11 AM
trust me. shamu needs more than just a few fish treats to make it through that kind of day.

they also own sesame place, but you can make up your own jokes about that one.
Sorry, but I was not making a joke about the beer school at SeaWorld.

"Budweiser Beer School began in 1995 as a seminar for retailers and wholesalers held at Anheuser-Busch's 12 domestic breweries. The program expanded the following year to include Budweiser Mobile Beer School, and the company now offers daily Budweiser Beer School classes at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and the four SeaWorld Adventure Parks."

http://www.pioneerdays.com/pioneer/School/press.html

http://www.rharrington.com/beerschl.html

bradk
02-25-2005, 08:17 AM
no, I know. I was making a joke about Anheiser-Busch owning Sea World (and other family parks). although in retrospect, it must not have been a very good one.

experiment626
02-25-2005, 08:26 AM
Didn't they used to have a small wine tasting at the beginning/end of the movie? right at the enterance?

stan4d_steph
02-25-2005, 08:32 AM
From what I recall, there used to be a wine tasting at only one time of day and I always seemed to miss it.

KarenW2
02-25-2005, 10:11 AM
My husband did the wine tasting at DCA, a year or so ago and I sat in on it with him. It was held in the room where they do "Seasons of the Vine" and it was very informative. I don't know if they still do it or not, but he was thinking about doing it again sometime, it they still do it.

They tasted several wines and had crackers in between them, to cleanse their palates. The CM running it would give them info about each type of wine and other info about wine making in general. Even tho I wasn't tasting at the time, I thought it was very interesting. I don't remember what the cost was, but mine was "free", since I didn't partake in the wine.

We definitely miss the original Vineyard Room, when run by Mondavi. It was our favorite restaurant in the whole "resort" and we bought several bottles of wine over the times we had dinner there.

sdfilmcritic
02-25-2005, 10:52 PM
And for the people who don't really like wine, How about a Bourbon or Whiskey Fest?WooHoo! Sign me up!!! :p {sdfilmcritic does a hillbilly jig}

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 06:33 PM
We definitely miss the original Vineyard Room, when run by Mondavi. It was our favorite restaurant in the whole "resort" and we bought several bottles of wine over the times we had dinner there.

How is it different [worse?] now?

pirateabbie
04-20-2005, 07:01 PM
The Napa Rose at the Grand Californian has an excellent wine list and fabulous service. We loved every wine they suggested. Our waiter even joined us in a glass of very nice sparkling wine at the end of our meal, which we later found out he hadn't charged us for.

KarenW2
04-21-2005, 12:18 AM
but the food wasn't as good and the wine selections weren't as good either. We thought it was very overpriced, since they were actually charging MORE than the Mondavi price had been and the food and wine was way better then!

We haven't really spent a great deal of time in DCA for quite a while, so we haven't eaten there since. Sorry I can't give you a current idea on it.