PDA

View Full Version : New Disneyland Area Hotel Coming

Opus1guy
02-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Starwood Hotels & Resorts issued a Press Release today that mentions a new 499 room "Sheraton Anaheim Resort" opening in the first Quarter of 2006.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050222/225883_1.html

I called the Sheraton Anaheim that's on Ball Road to inquire about this and they said they don't know where this new Sheraton will be located and it will be owned by a different Franchisee. So...

Has anyone here heard of it's location?

The person I talked to at the Sheraton Anaheim also said they were told a 3rd Starwood hotel would also eventually be coming to Anaheim sometime in the future, but they didn't know which Starwood brand it would be flagged under.

Niwel
02-22-2005, 04:58 PM
It seems strange to open a second Sheraton Anaheim -- unless they plan to expand the area around the current one (there is room around Spaghetti Station). And since it says "Resort" maybe they'll be adding amenities like a spa and more restaurants....

tod
02-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Starwood Hotels & Resorts issued a Press Release today that mentions a new 499 room "Sheraton Anaheim Resort" opening in the first Quarter of 2006.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050222/225883_1.html

I called the Sheraton Anaheim that's on Ball Road to inquire about this and they said they don't know where this new Sheraton will be located and it will be owned by a different Franchisee. So...

Has anyone here heard of it's location?

The person I talked to at the Sheraton Anaheim also said they were told a 3rd Starwood hotel would also eventually be coming to Anaheim sometime in the future, but they didn't know which Starwood brand it would be flagged under.

Okay, the press release says that it will have 499 rooms.

The Sheraton Anaheim has 489 rooms.
The Holiday Inn at Harbor and Ball has 253 rooms and not much room for expansion.
The Holiday Inn on Walnut (just north of the Parking Structure) has 280 rooms and not much space to expand into either.

If the Sheraton Anaheim isn't going to add 10 rooms and rename itself, I think this new hotel may be part of the development east of the Resort, or maybe an addition to the currently-300-room Anaheim Plaza on the SE corner of Harbor and Friedman Way, now called "Disney Way."

--t

Opus1guy
02-22-2005, 05:18 PM
It seems strange to open a second Sheraton Anaheim -- unless they plan to expand the area around the current one (there is room around Spaghetti Station). And since it says "Resort" maybe they'll be adding amenities like a spa and more restaurants....

It's not a re-branding of the current Sheraton Anaheim. This I know from my conversation with them. It's going to be a separate property and not adjacent in any way to them.

Whether it's a new build from the ground up, or a takeover of some existing property...I don't know.

But it's not unheard of to have multiple Sheratons in the same city. I know of many such cases. In Hawaii for example, there are 3 different ones practically next door to one another...The Sheraton Waikiki, The Sheraton Moana Surfrider and The Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. In that case, all 3 are owned by the same Japanese investment firm.

It is entirely possible that before this new hotel opens, that they decide to re-brand it a Westin or something if it meets that brands requirements. But for right now, it's going to be a Sheraton and the current Sheraton Anaheim says they are remaining a Sheraton.

AVP
02-22-2005, 05:41 PM
There is a new property already under construction down Harbor, and there are no signs to indicate what it is.

AVP

bradk
02-22-2005, 06:30 PM
if it's already under construction, then it should be a matter of public record, if you really wish to find out.

i looked at http://www.anaheim.net in the planning section. couldn't find anything directly related (there is a business license lookup, but it doesn't seem to be functioning right now), but i'm sure a call or a visit to city hall would clear it up pretty fast.

Opus1guy
02-22-2005, 08:01 PM
but i'm sure a call or a visit to city hall would clear it up pretty fast.

Not always. Often new business construction is simply applied for and submitted by general business type with the final business name or franchise affiliation to be DBA'd later. In other words, an owner/builder could completely permit, plan and build a hotel simply as a general use 499 room hotel owned by XYZ Company, with the final management and franchise affiliation contract (Hilton, Sheraton, etc) to be finalized shortly before opening.

There was actually a recent example of this in New York City with Starwood. A brand new property in Soho was built with a generic name like the "Soho Grand" with paper banners and other temporary signs until they finalized their contract with Starwood at the very last moment and it instantly became the "Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan/Soho" just days before opening!

So it's entirely possible that it's not listed as a Sheraton yet with the City Planning Departments. It might be, but it also may not be. Even if Starwood and Sheraton have already made it public, the owner doesn't have to DBA it until it starts operation.

bradk
02-22-2005, 08:14 PM
true enough, i just thought it might be worth a shot.