PDA

View Full Version : Closest Doctor

yummy mummy
02-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi I need to know exactly where the closest doctor to DL is. DD may need one (hopefully not... we are keeping our fingers crossed) but we really need to know where the closest Dr. is and what hours they are open and all the pertinent info.
Thanks in advance.

Alex S.
02-22-2005, 08:17 AM
What hotel are you in? I would suggest you speak to the front desk as they likely will have very helpful information.

For emergency services, I think the closest are at UC Irvine Medical Center, which is just a couple miles south on I-5 from Disneyland (map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=from%20katella%20and%20harbor%2C%20anaheim% 2C%20ca%20to%20101%20The%20City%20Dr%20S%2C%20Oran ge%2C%20CA%2092868))

yummy mummy
02-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Hi we are at the Best Weastern Park Place Inn. I will call the front desk but I know from past experience that the doctors that service hotels are not necessarily the best choice. I am hoping to find a pediatrician... though I am really hoping we wont need one at all.

sediment
02-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Ask your doctor for a referral. Perhaps he knows someone (or some medical group) in the area that can be "on call" during your stay, someone s/he feels comfortable with. If a doctor were to see your daughter, s/he would invariably have to call your doctor anyway.

(Yahoo! maps is probably not an appropriate source for this.)

julia
02-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Check out the UC Irvine Medical Center's website and WebMD before you go to have a doctor's contact information in hand before you leave. I think that WebMD allows you to input a zip code (I'd use Disneyland's zip code) and you can specify medical specialty, board-certification, gender. The medical center will probably have an Ask-A-Nurse phone type service to refer you to a good doctor, tell you if the physician is board-certified, etc. UC Irvine might even have an Immediate Care walk-in type clinic (not the emergency room). I've used both services in the past while I was traveling and been very satisfied with the care and quality.

You might also talk to the pharmacist on duty at any major drug store or supermarket chain who could refer you to an Immediate Care facility. It has been my experience that nurses and pharmacists know a lot of inside information. There is a Sav-On and Albertsons grocery stores about a mile from Disneyland.

Best Regards,
Julia

lbrackjo
02-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I have read in a guidebook, but never needed to use the services, that a Registered Nurse is on duty in the childcare center by the Plaza Inn on Main Street USA in DL. Maybe someone/CM knows if that is still staffed.

UncleGDogWord
02-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi we are at the Best Weastern Park Place Inn. I will call the front desk but I know from past experience that the doctors that service hotels are not necessarily the best choice. I am hoping to find a pediatrician... though I am really hoping we wont need one at all.

Last year I had got sick and was in need of a doctor. I was staying at the Park Place Inn and they have a list of Doctors available in the area.

Nothing like being sick at the Happiest Place on Earth.

DOH!

SuefromRI
02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
While there in Aug 2002 my daughter had as sore throat for days and finally on Sat couldn't take the pain any more or eat anything. I looked in the phone book in our hotel room for an urgent care facility that would be open on a Sat afternoon and found one. I checked my medical receipts to see if I still had something with a name, but don't. i know we followed Katella to a road parrallel to Harbor Blvd heading towards Knott's and I5. It was clean, they diagnosed her and prescribed medicine with a medium amount of waiting.
(Any time spent at the doctor's while on vacation is too much, but getting help for a sick daughter is more important.) They took a credit card for payment thankfully, and because it was an urgent care facility I got reimbursed by Blue Cross when I got home.

Alex S.
02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes, the first aid station in Disneyland is staffed by registered nurses and is open. I do not know what kind of referrals they could make, though.

lbrackjo
02-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Found this link for a description of the First Aid center and area hospitals:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/akrock17.htm

yummy mummy
02-22-2005, 03:50 PM
Found this link for a description of the First Aid center and area hospitals:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/akrock/akrock17.htm

Many thanks my friend, that is exactly what I needed to know. Thanks all round to the all knowing mouse padders.

lbrackjo
02-22-2005, 08:21 PM
I hope it turns out it is not needed. ;)

junecleaver
02-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Ya ditto

yummy mummy
02-22-2005, 08:55 PM

As do I... We just need to be prepared. Poor DD has had one problem after another. We just want to spoil her a little and have fun.

Thanks again

WITron
02-23-2005, 03:14 AM
My only additional suggestion is to check with your health care provider. Alot of them you can call and see who is in the area that is covered, that way you don't have the headache of trying to fight them to pay it when you get back.