PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dreams

Pages : [1] 2

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Never been in it? What is it? Would my kids like it? Worth the time? TIA!

disney jones
02-21-2005, 01:17 PM
i had high expectations for it as i love California, but finally saw it and hated it. It's like those 'PC/diversity films' the corporation makes you watch.

I don't think the kids would like it, especially young ones.

I suppose if you've done most of DCA, its worth spending 20 minutes in there, but i'd put it way down the priority list.

nursemelis374
02-21-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't think kids would reallylike it, but I loved it! It makes me cry everytime I see it!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-21-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks. We will wait until we go back without the kids or they are older.

Mermaid
02-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I also don't think kids would like it. It is pretty long and uneventful for kids. It is sorta like those social studies videos you watch in elementary school. I saw it for the first time and was bored and I'm 24!! I will say though, I did like Whoopi's face on the statue but that was about it. Funny thing though- that is one thing that has carried over from our trip. Whenever my boyfriend and I go to the movies as we are leaving, one will remind the other, "Don't forget your dream!" We laugh hysterically every time!! :p

Marox3
02-21-2005, 01:42 PM
We finally saw it on our last trip in January. It wasn't bad. My 9 year old son enjoyed it, because he could relate to his school work. He's currently studying California in social studies. It was weird to have an attraction work as a study assignment.

LOL - "don't forget your dream". So true . . . .

hbquikcomjamesl
02-21-2005, 01:55 PM
It was weird to have an attraction work as a study assignment.Not really all that weird for Disney attractions. Indeed, back in 1976, DL offered a special Bicentennial school program, that included group rates, and a specific itinerary of American History-related attractions. Unfortunately, they didn't provide CMs as tour guides, so it wasn't nearly as good as it could have been.

At any rate, if you ever visit WDW, you'll find lots of stuff in Epcot and AK that is designed specifically to be educational (as is much of what's in the WDW MK's Liberty Square). Since one of DCA's major roots was the abandoned "Westcot" proposal, it should come as no surprise to anybody that much of DCA still bears some resemblence to Epcot; indeed, much of its shortcomings grow out of the fact that much of the Westcot money was lost to NIMBYism, and what wasn't was lost to greedy "suits," who then tried to do a 4-way cross between WDW's 3 non-MK parks, and the old-fashioned waterfront amusement parks that people have become nostalgic about, and do it all on the cheap.

Personally, I'm more interested in intellectual stimulation than visceral stimulation, and as to the "being pampered" thing, well, that doesn't appeal to me at all, which is why I vacation regularly in places like San Francisco, Sacramento, Seattle, and Chicago, but will probably never be seen at any Club Med.

As to the thread topic, I've never made any secret of the fact that I like Golden Dreams a lot, though not nearly as much as I like the California State Railroad Museum Foundation's orientation film, "Evidence of a Dream."

disneyhound
02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks. We will wait until we go back without the kids or they are older.
Probably the right call; we have viewed it twice in the last five visits/years; something to do, not something you have to do. It's a clear, un-flavored gelatin type of experience, not as bad as Innovations... ;)

80S ERA
02-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I actually enjoyed. It has that ol' Disney feel to it.

On the other hand, I was disappointed to see a traditional movie for an attraction that was originally supposed to be more ellaborate. I would have been more interested in the "Circle of Hands" concept.

Elways way
02-21-2005, 03:03 PM
I gotta go with the consensus! It was a welcome break to sit down during one of those times when your legs just don't want to work anymore.....but it was way too much for me. You just can't put Califonia's vast history into that amount of time and make it all rosy. They try to keep things PC and illustrate that anything is possible in California......but they skip by way too much and shy away from some of the more controversial areas.

It is defintely something you will probably do more than once (its not as if the effects will amaze you). It is basically a dressed up movie (in a very nice theatre) that gives a Clift Notes overview of Califonia's pleasant past. Kids will be bored to death! Trust me....I was one once!

Wendi
02-21-2005, 04:11 PM
I've only seen it once, and it was during the trip when Max was 8 months old. So, I left him with my mom and saw it by myself. I don't know that the kids would like it, but I thought it was pretty good. I'd like to see it again, so if you wait until our next trip, we can go see it together and let someone else take the kids to A Bug's Land or Playhouse Disney while we see it!!!

EandCDad
02-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Our eight year old loves (and I mean LOVES) this movie. I really don't get it, but it's something we have to do everytime we go. There is never any type of line, so you can go in and knock it out in about 15-20 minutes. Our older daughter (ten) isn't as interested in it, but the younger one likes it, so why not take the kids and see what they think, it doesn't take long.

rentayenta
02-21-2005, 04:41 PM
I haven't seen it either. DH always wants to but we usually find something better to do. I might have to drag CC, Mukta, DLandForever, Javanod, Christiii, JediKnight, or Sally to it ;)

TrekkieDad
02-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I like Golden Dreams. It was very moving the first time I saw it, and it still tugs on me a little. Part of the reason is that I am a California native (second generation) and have lived in California all my life. DW is the same, and she couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

That being said, I don't see it every time I visit--once every few years is enough.

As for children liking it--it's a pretty appealing film, especially for California fourth graders, but there's no drop-jaw special effects--just a nice story on film.

I miss "America the Beautiful" and "Wonders of China".

MrTomMorrow
02-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Golden Dreams is a bit short on bang and special effects, but it's still one of the (few) attractions in Disney's California Adventure that is actually California-specific. It still gets me teary-eyed every time I see it, but it's a quick history of the people that made California what it is today. I walk out of it feeling happy about the state and knowing that it's the best state in the country. Yay.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-21-2005, 09:09 PM
I've only seen it once, and it was during the trip when Max was 8 months old. So, I left him with my mom and saw it by myself. I don't know that the kids would like it, but I thought it was pretty good. I'd like to see it again, so if you wait until our next trip, we can go see it together and let someone else take the kids to A Bug's Land or Playhouse Disney while we see it!!!

I will wait Wendi and we can go together. I also want to plan another few hours with just you and I, that was fun. Even if we just pretend we are going on a tour. LOL

marktips
02-21-2005, 10:17 PM
From what I've seen and heard, Golden Dreams seems like a not-so-good version of the American Adventure.

Even the name sounds like it was yanked out the theme song - correction, I just checked!

It is the name of the theme song!

Jeebus, can't get much more blatant than that.

marktips
02-21-2005, 10:20 PM
More facts:

"Schooner:

The schooner that is located in the water behind the America Gardens outdoor amphitheater is called the "Golden Dream." It was modeled after the "Virginia Sloop," which was also known as the "Bermuda Sloop." This type of boat was used primarily during the Revolutionary War era as trading boats, traveling back and forth between island and coastal areas. These boats contained mostly a deck area providing very little storage space. "

They LOVE that name. Hehe.

Doodle Duck
02-22-2005, 07:32 AM
MrT said: "Golden Dreams is a bit short on bang..."

Don't forget, it used to be LONG on Bang when the Chinese workers were blown of the side of the cliff by a huge explosion because they couldn't get back up fast enough...this was an abrupt, shocking moment that was also rather emotional as well...and underlined the danger and conditions these workers were subjected to on a daily basis. Unfortunately the PC forces in another lousy busy-body decision, decided it was too strong and edited out the only scene with real cinematic impact in the whole film.

Now, like said above, it's just another gramer school assembly movie.

Doug

kbanmen
02-22-2005, 07:37 AM
I love it and also cry everytime, especially at the song at the end..my kids actually do like it..theya re 4 and 2..every time we go to DCA they want to go

Shortiemetoo
02-22-2005, 07:49 AM
I liked it, as did my daughter. Do I think I would go to it on every trip? Probably not. It is like Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. It is something I will probably visit every other trip or so.
I was wondering about the chinese workers who were placing the dynamite....they look at the dynamite and it just switches to another scene....thanks for the info Doug!
Now if only I could talk my parents into going for their 50th wedding anniversary this year I think they would REALLY like it. My Dad is a 2nd generation native Californian and my Mom is 3rd generation native Californian!
I'm working on it, any good ideas to help me persuade them? They haven't been there in about 30 years!!!!

kbanmen
02-22-2005, 07:51 AM
MrT said: "Golden Dreams is a bit short on bang..."

Don't forget, it used to be LONG on Bang when the Chinese workers were blown of the side of the cliff by a huge explosion because they couldn't get back up fast enough...this was an abrupt, shocking moment that was also rather emotional as well...and underlined the danger and conditions these workers were subjected to on a daily basis. Unfortunately the PC forces in another lousy busy-body decision, decided it was too strong and edited out the only scene with real cinematic impact in the whole film.

Now, like said above, it's just another gramer school assembly movie.

Doug

I remember the long Bang thing..when it first came out, then they cut it out

80S ERA
02-22-2005, 07:55 AM
I forgot to add: the facade (Palace of Fine Arts) is one of my favorite sights in our state. Unfortunately, it only houses this movie without a themed indoor waiting area. An art exhibit with some cheerful/feel-good music in the background or some pre-show would have been a bit better.

evrythngwmn
02-22-2005, 10:23 AM
I like Golden Dreams. It was very moving the first time I saw it, and it still tugs on me a little. Part of the reason is that I am a California native (second generation) and have lived in California all my life. DW is the same, and she couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

I'm with you TrekkieDad. However, I try and see it everytime I'm in DCA and I've taken several friends in there who'd never seen it. The native Californians I've found seemed to have enjoyed it more. And yes I cry just about everytime I see it. I've gotten better though. The first time I saw it I cried through just about the whole thing. Now I can pretty much make it to the end before I lose it.

As for kids, I think it depends on the age of the kid. My sister and I took my five year old niece to see it once and she kept asking my sister questions throughout the movie. Plus it's subtitled in portions and my sister had to read those to her. My niece did say she liked it though.

Tinkerbelle923
02-22-2005, 10:50 AM
I don't think kids would reallylike it, but I loved it! It makes me cry everytime I see it!

Ditto, exactly what I was going to say.

The little ones will be bored but my (then) 8 yr old enjoyed it (surprised me, we mostly went in to escape the heat)