PDA

View Full Version : Stupid person's AP query

mystycalchyk
02-21-2005, 10:56 AM
I saw here recently, and for the life of me I cant find the thread, but I saw that you can buy by an AP...voucher(?) and it wont actually become effective till you go to the park. For example I could buy a voucher thingy today (?) and get the lower rate but not activate my AP till I go in May???

Is this correct? How do I do this? I have an AP that I didnt renew in December because it was just too expensive to renew both of our APs at Christmastime, so we decided to stagger them.

SoCalDude
02-21-2005, 12:23 PM
when we got our youngest an AP we picked it up at the Disney store and they said we had 3 months to use it or it would no longer be valid.

But when I was on the phone trying to work out our WDW trip in Oct I asked about APs and a discount. The lady told me we could buy a AP NOW and not activate it till our trip in Oct and it would be fine. We asked because we wanted to try to hook up on some AP nights and figured we needed an AP to do this.

Wendi
02-21-2005, 12:36 PM
You can buy the voucher at the Disney Store, or online at disneyland.com.

got2travel
02-21-2005, 12:36 PM
I believe the rules are different for DL and WDW. I know the DL vouchers are only good for 3 months. I think the WDW vouchers never expire, but not entirely sure.

mystycalchyk
02-21-2005, 12:38 PM
Thanks all. Any clue when the prices for APs are going up? I can get to a Disney store on Friday this week, but I dont know when the price hike is. So am I better off doing the online thing? I dont want to spend an extra $50 if I dont have to ;)

yellowrosedtxn
02-22-2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks all. Any clue when the prices for APs are going up? I can get to a Disney store on Friday this week, but I dont know when the price hike is. So am I better off doing the online thing? I dont want to spend an extra $50 if I dont have to ;)

I bought an AP in Jan and found out it will expire in March or April. I am not scheduled to be at DL until June. When I called up the number on the back on the AP the guy assured me that I could still get it activated in June. He said that IF the prices went up (at the time he said he didn't think that would happen) but IF it did, then I would just have to pay the difference and then on the first day into the park I could activate my AP. SO, I hope this helps some.

CrazyTrain
02-22-2005, 11:55 AM
Awww, you're not stupid :(

Biscuit
02-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Not a stupid question at all. I didn't know that, and I was planning on getting APs for our trip, so now I know to wait to get them :)

RickW
02-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Let me take a stab at this . . .

When you purchase an annual pass voucher it NEVER expires. In fact, California state law protects you in this regard. You will always receive full value of your voucher toward the purchase of an annual pass.

Now this is where the confusion comes in...you ALSO receive ninety days of PRICE PROTECTION. If the price of a particular AP goes up within ninety days of your voucher purchase, you will still receive that AP without paying the difference in price. After ninety days, you must apply the value of the voucher TOWARDS the new price of the AP.

Does that make any sense?

bradk
02-22-2005, 07:47 PM
i'd love to know what law that is. it doesn't make much sense to me. i mean if the voucher states it expires if unused as part as of the terms of sale, how could that be construed as illegal? what's to prevent someone to buy hundreds of passes at current cost as an investment so they can redeem them when the prices go up?

even most gift cards from retail stores have conditions where after x amount of time, they start deducting from its balance for whatever reasons. and that's worse, because they already received its full value when it was purchased

RickW
02-22-2005, 08:17 PM
I guess it's the difference in consumer protection laws in New York and California. This is a summary of the California law:

"Gift certificates and gift cards are covered by special rules adopted by the California Legislature. The most important rules are that –

1) Gift certificates cannot be offered in a manner that is untrue or misleading and
2) most gift certificates and gift cards sold by retail sellers for use with the seller and its affiliates cannot contain an expiration date or a service fee."

The complete law is here:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/legal/s-11.htm

bradk
02-22-2005, 08:41 PM
i dunno. i read the laws on http://www.leginfo.ca.gov, which really just stated the same thing the website you pointed out does. nothing new there.

but what i'm curious about is how this applies to disney and vouchers. is there something in particular you refer to? because the problem i see here is that the laws apply to gift cards and gift certificates, but don't mention vouchers. and i have to think there's a significant difference between them. in the case of a gift card/certificate, a specific amount of money is paid to the retailer for the credit of future purchases of unspecified goods. whereas a voucher is a promise for a particular item, on par with a rain check. in fact, searching on google for "gift certificate" voucher actually produces results where you can get a voucher for a gift certificate.

for example, you can charge a dormancy fee under whatever conditions in california, which makes sense for a gift card (simply deduct the fee from the balance). but how would it affect a voucher for a park ticket? the two just are not synonymous and i don't think the statutes you quote are really clear on that.