PDA

View Full Version : What a Magical Aroma!

jon80flt
02-21-2005, 08:20 AM
Anyone notice the lovely aroma while standing in the POTC queue?

When the exterior queue wraps around the east side of the building, you are treated to the magical aroma of methane gas, venting from a sewer grate back there! :eek:

While they are able to control all the aspects of the Disneyland experience, why can't they divert the sewer vent high enough so nobody has to smell it? I've only noticed the smell over the past couple years... it wasn't there about 5 years ago. :(

Any CMs know why this has not been fixed? :confused:

Jon

Vegitabeta
02-21-2005, 08:37 AM
I think the whole park has a nice aroma! lol Certain places like the candy shops smell gorgeous! :D

Obviously not methane gas though :(

SANDYMARIE
02-21-2005, 09:36 AM
We Wish We Could Bottle The Pirates Dirt Smell!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wet Dirt Around Here Is Not The Same.........
Maybe It's Just Being In The Happiest Place On Earth, And Beyond, That Makes It So Special!!!!!!!!!!!
Aarrgghh.......me Maytes!!!!!!!!!!
Ttfn :)

Chadsgal
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
How can anyone not notice the smells that consume the park!!! I love all of them!!!!! The water smell by splash mountain the dirt smell of POTC (hi aunt Sandy) Oh there are just way toooo many to list :p!!! I can't wait to go there and get my fill!!

Only 117 Days left!!!!!!!!!!! :)

hbquikcomjamesl
02-21-2005, 09:45 AM
Actually, pure methane is odorless. That's why a noxious odorant is intentionally added to natural gas for leak detection. That's also why you occasionally see CNG or LNG tank trucks that are marked "odorized" or "unodorized": the latter is a warning that insanely flammable leaks may be hard to detect.

The odors emitted by such things as sewers, manure, &c. are from other compounds. If it smells like rotten eggs, it's hydrogen sulfide. Most of the other smells are complex organic compounds.

SCUBAbe
02-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Does it smell as bad as the matterhorn when it's down for refurb. OMG...that smell was the worst!!

Captain Josh
02-21-2005, 10:46 AM
The best smell is the rotting fruit smell inside the Indy ride...

....oh wait, that's the PETROL they use for the fire effects.

Elways way
02-21-2005, 10:51 AM
Does it smell as bad as the matterhorn when it's down for refurb. OMG...that smell was the worst!!

Amen to that! That had to be the most ghastly smell ever! Haven't had the experience with Pirates yet....but Im sure my curiosity will get the better of me in March.

SANDYMARIE
02-21-2005, 01:56 PM
How can anyone not notice the smells that consume the park!!! I love all of them!!!!! The water smell by splash mountain the dirt smell of POTC (hi aunt Sandy) Oh there are just way toooo many to list :p!!! I can't wait to go there and get my fill!!

Only 117 Days left!!!!!!!!!!! :)
HI CHADSGAL(NIECE CRYSTAL),

I TOTALLY AGREE, ALL THE SMELLS ARE WONDERFUL IN DISNEYLAND,OF COURSE I HAVE NOT COME ACROSS A BAD ONE YET!
NOT LIKE THE ONE YOUR DAD LEFT OUTSIDE OUR DOOR THE OTHER NIGHT!!!
HE SAID IT WAS A FROG!
BUT I KNOW BETTER! :eek:
TTFN

SANDYMARIE
02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Sorry For The Caps!!

Hakuna Makarla
02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
HI CHADSGAL(NIECE CRYSTAL),

I TOTALLY AGREE, ALL THE SMELLS ARE WONDERFUL IN DISNEYLAND,OF COURSE I HAVE NOT COME ACROSS A BAD ONE YET!
NOT LIKE THE ONE YOUR DAD LEFT OUTSIDE OUR DOOR THE OTHER NIGHT!!!
HE SAID IT WAS A FROG!
BUT I KNOW BETTER! :eek:
TTFN

ha ha ha hahah hahaha you are funny, :)

disneyhound
02-21-2005, 03:01 PM
...Most of the other smells are complex organic compounds.
huummmm, smells from a sewer grate, you could be on to something...

PapiBear
02-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I would think that a sewer smell might add to the realism of POTC. :p

You sure it wasn't just some guy in front of you who'd been to Rancho del Zocalo? :D "Yo ho, yo ho, a *brrrrrrap!* life for me!"

sdfilmcritic
02-21-2005, 11:14 PM
I remember the days when the queue line used to wrap around the side of the building back toward the Jungle Cruise and you always got a nice wiff of the sewer smell in that back corner. It was all part of the unique POTC smell. Now that the queue never goes back there anymore I don't smell that lovely smell while standing in line anymore.

itig
02-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I notice this same problem when walking past the Dumbo ride when you get right around the carousel. It's fairly consistant...and nasty.

Aurora
02-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Or has anyone ever noticed that horrid smell over by the corndog car? It always smells like vomit in that corner. :|

MrsG
02-22-2005, 01:17 PM
Or has anyone ever noticed that horrid smell over by the corndog car? It always smells like vomit in that corner. :|
Yes! I'm always looking around so I don't step in it! Ick!

kristen
02-22-2005, 01:30 PM
i have a premium pass and have lived less than an hour away from disneyland (depending on traffic) my whole life, so i guess i got used to the smell cause i don't recall which smell you're talking about, however, i do remember that, yes parts of the park can smell at times...ummm, i guess its cause there is sooo little space, and yet sooo many people (who can't seem to pick up their own trash sometimes... :( ....) well, i think they do thier best somedays...like the fact that they pipe in smells on main street...but usually they just want people to go in somewhere...a store...a ride...a resaurant...somewhere...and yeah, i know i can't spell....but hey, as long as the cast is friendly and a majority of the rides are working, i have no complaints!...maybe the rain is making the smell wose? hmmm.kbye

nsyncitnd1787
02-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Actually, pure methane is odorless. That's why a noxious odorant is intentionally added to natural gas for leak detection. That's also why you occasionally see CNG or LNG tank trucks that are marked "odorized" or "unodorized": the latter is a warning that insanely flammable leaks may be hard to detect.

The odors emitted by such things as sewers, manure, &c. are from other compounds. If it smells like rotten eggs, it's hydrogen sulfide. Most of the other smells are complex organic compounds.

~derail~ you should so get a gold star for paying attention in biology!!!

ok.. back to the topic..

I Heart Disneyland!
02-22-2005, 08:48 PM
I've not noticed this before, but, you can bet I will probably notice it in May when I return to DL! ha!

nsyncitnd1787
02-22-2005, 09:24 PM
i never smelt any bad smells that i can remember (allthough that water in iasw sometimes smells funny.. o, never ever drink/ put your hands in the water on any ride.. you do not want to know what is in there- it's not clorinated for human concumption so.... not a good idea). i will keep my nose open in march though!!!

SCUBAbe
02-23-2005, 07:44 AM
i never smelt any bad smells that i can remember (allthough that water in iasw sometimes smells funny.. o, never ever drink/ put your hands in the water on any ride.. you do not want to know what is in there- it's not clorinated for human concumption so.... not a good idea). i will keep my nose open in march though!!!

amd neither are the fountains. Everytime I see kids in them I cringe. Onbe tiome I saw a mother dipping her habd in the fountain and using it to cool off her baby. Eew

bradk
02-23-2005, 07:48 AM
i've said it before and i'll say it again. i'm so drinking the water on IASW, I saw what it did to Lisa Simpson when she went to Duff Gardens and I'm all for it.