PDA

View Full Version : A Few of My Favorite Things...

wonderful
12-23-2001, 12:27 AM
For fun, what are "three" (no more, no less) of your favorite things about Disneyland, DCA, and Downtown Disney?

Here's mine:
Disneyland: 1. It's Walt's original, 2. New Orleans Square is one of my favorite places anywhere, 3. Fantasmic!
DCA: 1. Less kids, less crowds, more alcohol!, 2. BLAST... I would pay admission to see that show, 3. Potential... DL was around long before me, THIS park I actually get to see grow
Downtown: 1. It's not the Block, 2. Ralph Brennan's is my favorite "non-Italian" restaurant (best bread pudding anywhere), 3. Nice to have a "get away" right outside the park for those who just need a bity break from a "theme park" on their vacation

Nigel2
12-23-2001, 12:32 AM
DCA: It feels more interactive with the guests like millionare, a nice change in the middle of the day (park hopping), and it's just different.

DLR, I need to think about this one a little deeper.

2CN
12-23-2001, 01:17 AM
Disneyland- 1.) Space Mountain 2.) The magical feeling in the park since it is the original. 3.) Believe fireworks.

DCA- Since I havnt seen any of the shows at DCA yet, my main favs are rides- 1.)Screamin. 2.)Grizley rapids and the third I have to borrow from Wonderful, 3.) Get to see this park grow and actually become something even nicer.

DTD- 1.) the theming to it.... 2.) That little cafe thing next to the Jazz Kitchen (I think) resturant. 3.) The atmosphere being Disney.

Dreamstaker
12-23-2001, 06:44 AM
Disneyland
1) My mother grew up with this great park as her back yard playground, she took me, I take my 2 boys - someday I hope to take my grandchildren (many years from now) what a wonderful family tradition.

2) It's the only place I have ever gone where 99% of the "workers" always have a smile, hello, or wave to make my day!

3) The joy in the eyes of children all around me.

DCA
1) I was able to be there opening day.

2) The swinging Ferris Wheel that my son David likes to take me on and scare me to death. Look mom if I lean forward as it goes down AHHHHHHHHH stop.

3) The Millionaire game show. Did I tell you I won a hat!

Downtown Disney
1) I can go to the show 3 minutes from my house.

2) The music talent that plays at night, I can stroll over and be entertained for hours.

3) People watching.

Mad Madam Mim
12-23-2001, 08:51 AM
1. The good time theater on Main Street that plays the old cartoons.... especialy when it is raining, I want to rest in a quiet place, and I have a nice hot coffee. Although, this experiance of silence and solitude is usualy distroyed by the presence of others..... :(

2. Watching a childs face when he/she is getting off of a ride that just set his/her soul free. :)

3. Reading quietly to my child or myself on a bech in the park. (don't ask, it's this thing)

cemeinke
12-23-2001, 10:01 AM
DL:

1) The Believe Fireworks with Tinkerbell. No matter how many times I see it, it thrills me to see Tinkerbell take off from the Matterhorn. (Does she fly in WDW?)

2) The Cast Members. There may be a few bad apples, but DL still does a good job hiring friendly and personable folks. There have been many times when a conversation with CMs have really made the visit a special one.

3) The awe and wonder of Children. I love seeing the kids meet the characters, and especially enjoy eavesdropping on their comments to their parents. That magic is contagious.

DCA:

1) The potential. Despite the negative comments, I'm excited to be able to watch this park grow and be transformed, for we all know that this one will go through a lot of changes in the coming years. I like be able to watch the experiments as they unfold good or bad

2) The Food. I like the extra options at DCA, Carmel Corn comes to mind, and then there's the hot links at the corn dog castle. There not particularly special, but it kind of cool to have some more options.

3) The Animation Building/Attraction. I could (did) spend hours in this place. I love the show in the lobby/central waiting area, the sorcerer's workshop, drawn to animation, etc. It's just a neat place.

DTD:

1) The Grand Californian. For all the criticism about themeing in DCA a walk through the hotel proves to me they can still do it right. I live 20 minutes away, but I still want to stay here.

2) The Theaters/Performance spaces. Because where else can you spend some time on a ride at Disneyland while waiting for the next showing. I think I'll be going to the DTD AMC more than my local theaters in the future.

3) The Monorail. I love being able to enter the park via the Monorail. There's something great about actually using it as a means of transportation as well as a ride that makes it special. I also love seeing it glide by as a cool reminder that you are still in Disneyland.

Not Afraid
12-23-2001, 10:58 AM
DL:
#1 The Drawbridge - people watching, relaxation, magic and, of course, my Swans.

#2 Overhearing kids responses to the magic. One child, watching the BiHM fireworks said loudly, when everyone was quiet, "I saw Tinkerbell" when one of the comet fireworks went off. Priceless!

#3 Any fireworks show. Its been my favorite thing since I was about 3 years old. It never fails to put a smile on my face and make me happy.

DCA:

#1 The Animation building. Pure magic and history.

#2 Soaring. Appeals to my adventerous side and my adiction to travel. Reminds me of the Disney magic of old.

#3 GRR and the surrounding area. They did a good job on re-creating the Sierras and GRR is a great ride even though I'm not fond of water rides.

DTD:

#1 The Grand Californian. A great hotel that doesn't feel like a hotel. Great job of transporting you out of Anaheim.

#2 Jazz Kitchen - Good food and atmosphere. The best bathrooms anywhere!

#3 Illuminations. Yum!

FriendOfDaisy
12-23-2001, 11:23 AM
All this positive energy is contagious!

Downtown Disney:

1. The CMs at World of Disney are fantastic - friendly and helpful beyond the call of duty.

2. The movie theatres. I like the idea of seeing a movie if I need a break from the parks, although I haven't done it yet.

3. Yarriba Yarriba - the food is great (if you know how to order), and the floor show is so craptacular, how can you not be charmed?

DCA:

1. A new park to explore! Even with the paucity of attractions, I discover new things each time I go to the park. I loved that the third time I saw "It's Tough To Be A Bug" was the first time I heard the bug chorus "singing" showtunes in the lobby. That cracked me up!

2. It's really a beautifully landscaped park, with few exceptions. I love walking around and enjoying the "look" of DCA.

3. The Electrical Parade makes my park-hopper AP worth its price.

Disneyland:

1. Fantasyland still seems fantastical to me. After growing up with yearly trips to WDW, where Fantasyland still looked like a travelling church carnival, I was amazed at the charm and beauty of DL's "new" Fantasyland.

2. The strawberry/custard parfait at Rodd's in Tomorrowland. At least there's one thing besides Space Mountain drawing me to that part of the park!

3. Riding Peter Pan at night, just before I go home, still imbues me with enough magic to last until my next trip.

David

EandCDad
12-23-2001, 11:33 AM
DL - 1. My kids excitement riding Peter Pan, Alice, Snow White, etc . . . .

2. Seeing my kids meet characters who say hello, hug them, tell them how pretty they are.

3. Indy, Splash Mountain, HISA, Autopia, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mantion Christmas.

4. The Christmas decorations, fireworks, music.

DCA - 1. Blast

2. Soarin'

3. The music they played at the Test Pilots Grill

DTD -

1. Steak Sandwich at ESPN Zone

2. La Brea Bakery Smoothie

3. People Watchin

blusilva
12-23-2001, 11:43 AM
Disneyland

The feeling of "coming home" I get when I emerge from the tunnel onto Town Square.

Haunted Mansion.

Space Mountain.

DCA

California Screamin'

Animation Building/"One Man's Dream"

It's not crowded.

Downtown Disney

Sephora

House of Blues (its way more accesible than the one on Sunset)

The geyser water fountains.

Uncle Dick
03-03-2002, 09:16 PM
Disneyland:
1) Adventureland as a whole.
2) George Lucas' attractions.
3) Hot chicks (especially this weekend for the cheerleading competition ;))

DCA:
1) The Power of BLAST! Specifically the chick in my avatar.
2) Lots of "freebies" (free AP upgrade, free food, free merchandise from Millionaire)
3) Few people. A great respite from the teeming masses at Disneyland.

DtD:
1) Architecture. The whole area is beautiful.
2) Rainforest Cafe. Theming above and beyond the call of duty.
3) Whitewater Snacks. Very friendly CMs, relatively cheap food, free refills.

bluepearl
03-03-2002, 09:57 PM
Disneyland:
1.) The history! There are so many stories and hidden things to find in the park.
2.) The attractions.
3.) The CMs. We have a list of several CMs we like to visit every so often. ;)

DCA:
1.) Non-existent crowds! I love walking through the Pacific Wharf area and not have people elbowing their way through.
2.) The Power of BLAST! Even though my favorite drummer, Kit, isn't there anymore, the show still kicks butt.
3.) The CMs. Even more CMs we like to visit every so often!

DTD:
1.) World of Disney (and their CMs). I work there, but the amount of stuff in there never ceases to amaze me. I could be lost in there for days. Plus, I've met a lot of people there that are incredibly nice and helpful; exemplary Disney CMs!
2.) Marceline's Confectionary. Don't tempt me.
3.) The attempt to be hip and edgy isn't totally in my face. For some reason, I'm not really into CityWalk, but I like DTD.

Needless to say, I have this belief that TDA has a knack for hiring really cool CMs.

DisneylandBoy
03-04-2002, 07:23 AM
Well, my list is going to be a little repetative since people have said the same things as me. Oh well.

DL:
1. The most wonderful, awesome, unmatched, magical feeling you have when you walk under the tunnels and into Main Street.

2. The wonderful smells that seem to follow me everywhere!

3. Watching a little kid meet Mickey Mouse for the first time.

DCA:
1. Soarin' Over California. The feeling of flying and being free, the uplifiting music and the amazing sights!

2. NO CROWDS! While it can be a little depressing at times, it is always nice to know that DCA will be empty if DL is too jam-packed.

3. Paradise Pier. I love it. I don't care what anyone else says!

DTD:
1. Rainforest Cafe, one of my favorite restaurants.

2. Having a Disney style Block or Spectrum is very nice.

3. The fact that entrance is free . . . (for now)!

DLR:
Okay, I'm adding one more because there is some stuff that is too general to catergorize.

1. The music played in the espalande - always gets me ready for a day at DL!

2. The fact that CM are always helpful and happy.

3. The parades and shows . . . I LOVE Parade of the Stars and liked Steps in Time. But nothing beats Fantasmic and Disney's Electrical Parade.

ishkabibble
03-04-2002, 09:38 AM
A Few of My Favorite Things... ah, let me see…

1) raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
2) bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens…

no, wait…

Disneyland's attention to details
1) Touching the apple in front of Snow White
2) Monstro spouting
3) Hidden Mickeys

DCA
1) Cold beer on a hot day
2) (Okay, maybe two cold beers on a hot day)
3) Lack of crowds

Dtd
1) Gin and tonic at House of Blues (Jake: Rest In Party)
2) ESPNzone burgers
3) Monorail entrance to the park

03-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Disneyland:
1. Taking my kids on the Disneyland Railroad for the first time
2. The segue from Main Street to Adventureland
3. Tinkerbell and the fireworks

Haven't been to DCA.

TerryTiger
03-04-2002, 07:31 PM
Disneyland:
3. Matterhorn Bobsleds (makes me feel like a kid again)
2. Chicken Fusilli pasta at Redd Rocket's Pizza Port
1. Rod playing piano at Coke Corner

DCA:
3. Mission Tortilla Factory (Free Tortillas)
2. Animation Bldg. Court
1. Grizzly River Run and theming around it.

DTD:
3. Rainforest Cafe Bldg. theming
2. AMC theaters and twi-lite show pricing ($4.25)
1. Grand Californian Hotel

disneynut
03-04-2002, 08:30 PM
DL:
1. My kids faces when they are there. (From seeing a character to riding rides to just walking through the park).
2. The feeling I get walking down Main Street.
3. Taking my kids on Dumbo.

DCA:
1. GRR (and my 4 year old's look of horror while on it--but then immediately screaming he wants to go again!!)
2. The Redwood Creek Challenge thing. One of the few things our entire family can do together and enjoy. We spend hours (no exageration) there.
3. Blast!

DTD:
1. Begniets, begniets, and more begniets!!!
2. The scenery (all of the water is so pretty and relaxing)
3. People watching (fun at the entire resort)

Finally, at the whole DLR--the CM's that are so wonderful they make your trip enjoyable. :) Now all you CM's can send payment to me at....just kidding
We've met a lot of CM's who go out of their way to make you happy.

Ace
03-04-2002, 08:31 PM
all Disneyland:

[list=1]
Splash Mountain.... I can't go into detail.... no one wants to read 50 paragraphs.
The nice CMS
Indy
Tiki Room
The Mark Twain
The NOS music playing on the banks of the ROA
Toontown
The Partners statue
Frozen bananas
The Disney Gallery
The Jungle Cruise
[/list=1]