PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the Muppets?

HyperTyper
02-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Anyone heard if anything is in the works with the Muppets? Here they've been an official part of the Disney company for quite a while, and I've heard zip except for a pretty weak-sounding version of The Wizard of Oz.

While we wait to see what (if) Disney will do with them, how you would like to see the Muppets at Disneyland Park or DCA? Here are some possibilities I would enjoy:

1. A dark ride to replace Superstar Limo. Yeah, I know ... Monsters Inc. is going in there. But I don't know what Monster's Inc. has to do with California, while the Muppets could EASILY offer a spoof of a behind-the-scenes movie backlot/studio tram tour ... something DCA's Hollywood doesn't have yet. It could have Muppetized scenes from classic movies, Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker demonstrating some special effects, Muppet stunts ... oh, the fun they could have! It would be an Imagineer's DREAM!

2. Replace the current Muppet movie with "Muppette" ... a spoof of a Cirque du Soleil show. In 3-D, of course. And maybe some live performers. (Picture Kermit trying to catch Piggy on high-flying apparatus!!) The Cirque company already has a show in WDW. I bet they'd jump at the chance to collaborate with Disney and Henson to poke a bit of fun at themselves.

3. A live Muppet show, with actual Muppets (animated by human puppetters) synced to a pre-recorded soundtrack of the Muppets' familiar voices. This works pretty well at the Playouse Disney show.

Okay ... shutting-up now, and waiting to read some of YOUR ideas and wishes ...

SCUBAbe
02-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Anyone heard if anything is in the works with the Muppets?

ummm...I don't like the muppets. they can rip them out and never return and i would be happy..:)

ozbeauticn
02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
if they ever did any of those things, i would NEVER get my boyfriend to leave! He is the biggest muppet freak. We see the same Muppet 3D show atleast 4 or 5 times each trip down to DL.

arielova
02-21-2005, 12:05 AM
I understand where you're coming from, but Muppets are Jim Henson NOT Disney!!!!!!!!!! If they were gone from the property I wouldn't care at all. ;)

bradk
02-21-2005, 02:47 AM
it's funny, but Disney has owned the Muppets only since mid-February of last year. And they don't own all the muppets either, just the traditional muppet show muppets (including kermit) and bear in the big blue house. before that (in which the muppets in 3d did exist), it was something along the lines of the winnie the pooh setup, for which we all know that disney does not own to this day.

just as a point of interest

if you really want to learn more about what's up with the muppets, http://www.muppetcentral.com is a good site.

DaddyB
02-21-2005, 09:59 AM
I think that Disney is sitting on a gold mine with the Muppets, and they just don't get it.

Ok, ok, so Muppets aren't for everyone. I understand that there are some who "hate" them, and want to see them ripped out of anything Disney. Well, that just ain't a-goin ta happen. But to just sit on the franchise and do nothing with them is even more foolishness. Muppets are reportedly seen in the mouse house as a retro thing. In fact, they have so little clue about what to do with them, they're talking about bringing back Muppet BABIES! (jimhillmedia.com)

There is a whole new generation of children and older kids who 'get' the more sophisticated Muppet humor.

You can't just bring out a new Muppet TV or big screen movie every few years, and expect to make big bucks off the name. You've got to make it a viable franchise by having a quality TV show with the characters in it. hmmm, but the same should be said about Disney's own fab 5 as well. Considering that Disney doesn't really even know what to do with Mickey and friends, it's not surprising they don't know what to do with this latest egotistical purchase by Eisner.

I don't think that it's ultimately going to be up to the parks to do something about the Muppets.

HyperTyper
02-23-2005, 09:24 PM
I loved the Muppets as a kid. They were brilliant. If there was anyone who even comes close to Walt Disney's achievement and creativity (not to mention management), it was Jim Henson.

The Muppets went downhill after Henson's death. There are times when I groan to see newer Muppet material. "Muppets in Space" and the most recent Christmas TV special (with Whoopi Goldberg as diety ... ugh) were awful. Their songs are unmemorable. The writing is weak and uninspired. And Muppet shows/movies seem to be built around cheesy cameos by big-name celebs. (Gee ... couldn't the same thing be said of DISNEY'S newest stuff?)

The thing is, what ails Disney also ails the Muppets. There needs to be careful thought and creativity ... memorable songs and crisp writing. The Muppets have come-up with some of the most lovable characters ever created ... Kermit, Piggy, Sam the American Eagle.... Nutty and pure fun. They were spoofing people long before the Simpsons were, but with way more class. Given the proper material, I think they have all the character, charm and whimsy they need to fit perfectly in the Disney family, thank you very much.

As for the Muppets not being "Disney" ... Here are some very un-Disney things that are now staples in Disney parks. (Some more enjoyable than others):

1. Star Wars
2. Indiana Jones
3. Roger Rabbit (Okay, a Disney / Warner Brothers mongrel movie, with some very un-Disney content)
4. Twilight Zone
5. AEROSMITH?!?!?!
6. All of Pixar's stuff (bought by Disney, not made by)

No one ever complains about those being too un-Disney.

And for the life of me, I don't know why Eisner hasn't collaborated with the Henson company to bring some great new animatronic characters to the parks. The newest AAs in DLR are Hopper ("Tough to be a Bug") and Indy (10 years old, and not very lively for an action hero.) C'mon! Kermit works for Disney now, and all Disneyland gets is twitching mannequins in the Pooh ride???? ARGH!

Okay, I'm calm. Relaxed. Think optimistically ...

Hey, just thought of another Muppet idea ... How 'bout:

"Pigs in Space Mountain"

Okay, that's going too far.

Andrew
02-23-2005, 11:01 PM
"Pigs in Space Mountain"
I would ride that every single day.

bradk
02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
just as a point of interest, Disney did not really purchase the Pixar properties. As part of the distribution agreement, Disney got to obtain and retain all rights to all of pixar's intellectual property created during their relationship, but i think the point of my message is that i don't believe disney ever paid pixar for them. in fact, pixar had to fight for the 50% they got from the profits from their movies.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-24-2005, 12:37 AM
I say take the Muppets and put them at Universal Studios. ;)

stan4d_steph
02-24-2005, 06:06 AM
I would ride that every single day.Word.

AmandasDad
02-24-2005, 08:55 AM
Make it a seasonal overlay. Off-seasonal.

itig
02-24-2005, 09:30 AM
OK, I'm going to hop in with a rant that I've wanted to post. We just received the latest Family Fun magazine, which I think is owned or published by Disney. Inside was this really cool and pretty big 50th Anniversary poster that you can pull out. I was excited and thought it would be fun to put it up in my kids playroom. So I open the thing up and right there, nearly front and center is Miss Piggy and Kermit. They stick out like sore thumbs and don't even look like the fit in the collage. I'll have to double check, but I don't think they even included any Pixar characters in the image. All of the other characters are animated Disney characters. As someone who works in the design world, the placement of these two characters was just awful in my opinion. They are very distracting and Piggy is sporting some kind of Desperate Housewives sexy hairdo thing...weirdness abounds. Has anyone else seen this? </rant>

Fozzie
02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Disney has been slowly bringing the Muppets back into the mainstream. Kermit, Piggy and Gonzo co-hosted the Disney Christmas Parade, and they're going to appear on the next episode of Extreme Home Makeover. And, of course, there is the upcoming ABC Muppets Wizard of Oz movie, which has had some great buzz. They also just filmed a Muppet reality television pilot.

I predict that there will be a new Muppet series on ABC within the next year or two. I also think there will be a Muppet Babies revival for the Playhouse Disney block of Disney Channel. Plus, I expect to see lots of merchandise in the near future....

bradk
02-25-2005, 04:12 AM
there actually was supposed to be a new muppet show (which i believe was a revitalization of the original, as opposed to the muppets tonight series), but for some reason i want to believe it was supposed to have started last fall and i also think it was supposed to be on fox (although abc does make more sense). i have no clue what happened to it tho.