PDA

View Full Version : Cast member lingo

b52hbuff
02-19-2005, 07:30 AM
Can you help me identify some lingo used by Entertainment castmembers?

What is 'ANX' as in a location?
What/where is 'egghouse'?

bradk
02-19-2005, 08:35 AM
the American Egg House replaced a couple of coffee shops and was subsequently replaced by the Town Square Cafe, which was eventually closed.

I believe in context, it might refer to the 'egg house side' (as in a parade) which means the side of main street where the building is located, which is on the side of the hub where the operahouse and the cinema are

ChipmunkStar
02-20-2005, 05:20 PM
If you don't work there, you don't need to know. Now leave your scanner at home and enjoy a nice day at the park :)

arielova
02-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Hmmm. I suspect a Bitter Bear here. :|

AVP
02-20-2005, 11:36 PM
If you don't work there, you don't need to know. Now leave your scanner at home and enjoy a nice day at the park :)Oh, c'mon - scanning is a time-honored tradition at Disneyland!

AVP

ChipmunkStar
02-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Not bitter, but if someone doesn't work at the park, much less in the entertainment department, they are not in a need to know position. Now for those of us who actually know what Egg House is, it's much less exciting than you'd think. Or is it?

b52hbuff
02-21-2005, 08:26 AM
If you don't work there, you don't need to know. Now leave your scanner at home and enjoy a nice day at the park :)

LOL....

You work there Chipmunk, are you reacting to a bad guest experience?

I've found listening pretty enjoyable. Looking forward to taking a radio on my next trip to try and figure out when/if Buzz is soft opening.

Particularly during inclement weather, the radio makes it very convenient to know when certain rides are up or down. Also very useful to know whether Fantasmic! or fireworks get cancelled before you waste your evening waiting...

b52hbuff
02-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Oh, c'mon - scanning is a time-honored tradition at Disneyland!

AVP

Maybe time for a poll? But I'm curious how many people listen at the park?

I've met a couple of folks on the net and have seen a couple more pages on the web. So total population I'm aware of would be less that six.

Much lower than the pin traders... :)

Andrew
02-21-2005, 11:58 AM
I do. But I'm totally discreet about it--even more so now that many wireless phones have earpieces that look just like my scanner's earpiece.

TikiGeek
02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
I can neither confirm nor deny :cool:

Shortiemetoo
02-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Just curious, as I do not usually use scanners, but how do you know what the frequency is?

bradk
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
those brave pioneers who have blazed the trails before us. for example, http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/scan.htm

PhilMP
02-21-2005, 05:11 PM
Just curious, as I do not usually use scanners, but how do you know what the frequency is?

The Resort actually uses many channels, all through a trunked system. Every operating division usually has at least two channels, an ops channel and a chat.

Full lists, somewhat outdated though, are available on the internet.

Oh, and as far as people knowing backstage information. If they ask about where the Egg House is, I'll tell them. I'm not going to go referring it in normal speech with a Guest though.

Oh, and most CMs, much less Guests, know what/where the Egg House is. I just know because I have a really good friend in Parades & Show Support.

Phil

Phil

bradk
02-21-2005, 05:28 PM
i think i clarified the egg house thing for myself after painstakingly reviewing the parade route. more of a terminal thing than a left/right thing.

b52hbuff
02-21-2005, 07:24 PM
Full lists, somewhat outdated though, are available on the internet.

Oh, and most CMs, much less Guests, know what/where the Egg House is. I just know because I have a really good friend in Parades & Show Support.

Phil

Phil

So do you know where I can find an 'up to date' list?

Since we've identified 'Egg House', how about ANX?

I think it's absurd and a bit rude to question motives and 'acceptable' information on a fan website that prides itself on disseminating information to a (clearly) active fan base...

b52hbuff
02-21-2005, 07:26 PM

Just ask Kenneth. ;)

The frequencies are available on the FCC website.

Part of the fun is taking the public information on the FCC and with some good luck and good listening, trying to figure out how everything works and is put together...

b52hbuff
02-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Ok, should have tried Google before. But where is the Disney Showcase?

I know there's a hat store and then the exit lobby for GMwML. Is the lobby what they're talking about?

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Cabana/6495/main.html

Town Square Cafe (Extinct). When Disneyland opened in 1955, this was the Maxwell House Coffee House, and by 1958 it had become the Hills Brothers Coffee House. That was destined to change, and by 1978 it was replaced with the American Egg House. In 1983, and until its closure in 1993, the restaurant, which was full service and specialized in breakfast, was known as the Town Square Cafe.

The Town Square Cafe was located near the current home of the Disney Showcase, roughly in the neighborhood of Mr. Lincoln's Opera House.

Grandbreaker
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Unless you work there you really don't need to know are lingo. How do we you that this info isn't going to others?? Just come on down at have a Disney day.

b52hbuff
02-21-2005, 08:35 PM
Unless you work there you really don't need to know are lingo. How do we you that this info isn't going to others?? Just come on down at have a Disney day.

I agree. It isn't a 'Disney Day' unless I'm 'plugged in' and aware of my surroundings. My wife jokes about it by saying I'm plugged into the collective. :)

Well, I don't think knowing that Egg House is a Main Street backstage area is a matter of national security.

So looking at your userid and some posts, looks like you must work Hotel Security. Know what 'PCO' chat would be? I think it has something to do with LP (or loss prevention)...

One other security question, it looks like the force is divided into at least three jurisdictions. There are 'Parks', 'Hotels/Dtd' and 'Periphery'. What is the area that is covered by periphery?

AVP
02-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Showcase Annex is the little store next to the Showcase on Main Street.

AVP