PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I will be using a cane

yummy mummy
02-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Looks like I will be using a cane for my upcoming DL trip. I was hoping that my stupid foot would be better by then... but it's not. It is fine as long as I don't walk for more than 15 min a day... obviously impossible in DL! I can't rent a wheelchair because I have a toddler that I have to push in a stroller. So I have a few questions for you. What do you do with a cane on a ride??? Leave it with a cm? take it on the ride? Do I need a docs note to fly with a cane?

If I do have to rent a wheelchair...if my dumb foot gets worse and I have ne other choice..can I take it out of the park to my hotel(BWPP)? My dd will need a nap so we will need to leave for a little siesta.

Thanks
Oh any other tips for caneing through the park would be appreciated.

MammaSilva
02-18-2005, 11:08 PM
yummy mummy, my suggestion, contact a local wheelchair rental company and rent a scooter. If you're not traveling alone, someone else can handle stroller duty and not have to worry about pushing your chair thru the park. There are several local companies that will deliver a scooter to your hotel and pick it up there at the end of your stay and are very affordable (cheaper than the park, more oomph than those you can rent in the park and you have it from hotel door to hotel door. The only down side is they do take up a bit of room in your hotel but if you contact your hotel now you can request a handicapped accessible room which will put you on the ground floor and be easier to navigate. Hope this helps a bit.

Hakuna Makarla
02-19-2005, 07:23 AM
good idea about renting from a company, and if you have a toddler, can you not put her up on your lap?

yummy mummy
02-19-2005, 08:02 AM
good idea about renting from a company, and if you have a toddler, can you not put her up on your lap?

I could put her on my lap but she wouldn't sit for very long. Her stroller is the ONLY place other than her car seat that she can sit for longer than a few minutes. We have tried doing the lap in a wheelchair before. We didn't even make it around a mall.

CrazyTrain
02-23-2005, 05:00 PM
My roommate has a fake leg and has a cane. She brings it on the rides with her. I don't know what she does on rollercoasters and such, but every ride I've been on with her, she's kept it with her.

I don't really have any tips for you, though. :(

SummerinFL
02-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Is it just you and your toddler going? If so I think the lap suggestion is a good idea with the outside scooter rental.

If not, have the other person push her in the stroller OR rent a wheelchair and have her sit on your lap. :)

marktips
02-23-2005, 06:56 PM
Just a reminder - with many companies (Disney included) scooters are single person vehicles. Lap sitting on a scooter is not advised for safety reasons.

Flint
02-23-2005, 08:00 PM
What do you do with a cane on a ride???

Whatever you do, do not try to duel Capt. Hook.

/nod /nod /nod

daveinMN
02-25-2005, 12:25 AM
yummy yummy, you can use a cane on an airplane. You DONT need a Doctor's note to get on an airplane or get through security with your cane. You will get to board even before the first class passengers on some airlines, and you just stow the cane in the over head compartment. On some rides at DLR you will leave your cane with a Cast Member, and some you just tuck it between your legs. I use a scooter and a cane, and the CM's were always on top of things, letting me know what to do with both. Also, it is very difficult to keep a small child on your lap for extended periods with the wheelchair, I know from experience. I have two young daughters, and the littlest one, who is 6, likes to ride on my knee when we go to Knott's, but I can only take it for 10 munutes at a time or so. Renting a scooter or wheelchair is a great idea, but for ME personally it was too expensive. You know, anytime the word "medical" is attached to anything it somehow triples in cost. Good luck on your trip, and please post and let us know how it went!

Dave

sdfilmcritic
02-25-2005, 12:28 AM
I don't think you can take a rented wheelchair from DLR outside of the Esplanade (the area between the two parks). One time I saw a couple try to take a stroller out of the area but the security wouldn't let them do it. I guess the resort wants to keep the strollers (and I'm guessing the wheelchairs too) inside the park borders.

mad4mky
02-27-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't think you can take a rented wheelchair from DLR outside of the Esplanade (the area between the two parks). One time I saw a couple try to take a stroller out of the area but the security wouldn't let them do it. I guess the resort wants to keep the strollers (and I'm guessing the wheelchairs too) inside the park borders.

Actually you can...but you will have to leave more than just the small deposit they ask for renting the chair. You will have to leave either a major credit card or DL...with your deposit. Once you do that you can take your chair to DTD and to the hotels. Obviously, most people don't want to leave their major cards behind, so they do return the wheelchairs.
You can take any rented wheelchair between the two parks, because that is inside the security checkpoints. :)

cstephens
02-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Actually you can...but you will have to leave more than just the small deposit they ask for renting the chair. You will have to leave either a major credit card or DL...with your deposit. Once you do that you can take your chair to DTD and to the hotels.

Really? I'd never heard that. I was under the impression that you couldn't take DL/DCA chairs outside of the perimeter, that only chairs from the hotels could be taken around. Good to know to ask about this if the need arrives for a chair outside of the perimeter.

mad4mky
02-28-2005, 08:36 AM
Really? I'd never heard that. I was under the impression that you couldn't take DL/DCA chairs outside of the perimeter, that only chairs from the hotels could be taken around. Good to know to ask about this if the need arrives for a chair outside of the perimeter.

I didn't know this either, until we asked specifically...when I was on crutches last year. I didn't want to hobble all the way over to the trams or when visiting DTD...so we asked. Even this last trip (October), the castmembers over at the Monorail told us about this nice 'perk' about the wheelchairs. :)

marktips
02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
This seems like a good point to recommend looking at the park's latest Guide for Guests with Disabilities. It'll tell you what to expect at the attractions - which can accomodate ECV's, which can accomodate wheelchairs (if not ECV - then it'll have transfer chairs available for free), and which require transfer into a vehicle/seat.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/help/gsDetail?name=MobilityDisabilityGSDetailPage

A printed quick-reference copy should be available from Guest Services at the park.

ToursbabeC3po
02-28-2005, 04:43 PM
I just wanted to suggest that if it is just you and a toddler to go to guest relations and explain your situation so that you can get a GAC. With a cane you will still have to wait in "wheel chair accessible lines" Right before I left Disney they were making people with canes wait in the extended Que of Star Tours. I tried to explain to them that people using a can did not need a GAC it was for non apparent disabilities but the managers kept saying that the line meets the ADA guidelines and that is that.
Tell Guest relations that you cannot use a wheelchair because you have to push your daughter/son in the stroller and the rules prohibit her/him from sitting on your lap with a rent ECV.
I am not saying that this will get you the pass but every situation is different and they are there to help you plan your day. I hope you have fun!
(((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))
Toursbabe

GrumpyUTboi
02-28-2005, 05:00 PM
That stinks that they were being that way

CrazyTrain
03-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah, they won't give my roommate ANY type of pass... she has to wait in the regular line. Ocassionally a nice CM will let her skip the wait and use a wheelchair entrance, but more often than not she has to wait around in line. (An exception is Indy because of all the stairs). It stinks but I heard (not sure where) that it was because so many people were abusing them that they just did away with them. Which sucks for the people with legitimate needs to use them.