PDA

View Full Version : Insane Trip - Trip Report - Really Long

got2travel
02-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Ok, here's the trip report, sorry its really long, but I decided to give you all a blow by blow.

Arrived in Long Beach at 8am via Jet Blue from Oakland. Picked up a rental car from Budget using a Costco discount code. I reserved an ecomony but got a compact, total price for 1 day was $22.05. I checked into shuttles but they were $50 or more.

Pulled up to the Mickey & Friends parking structure at 9am and they were just opening the gates. There were maybe 40 cars lined up between the 2 lines they had open. I have never used this parking lot before since I've always stayed multiple days and therefore had parking at the hotel. This thing is huge. I know I've heard about it being the largest in the US, but that really didn't prepare me.

Anyway, caught the first tram to the park and decided to check out Whitewater Snacks for breakfast since everyone gives it such great reviews. I had looked at it before, but never went it so I didn't realize they had hot food. But nothing caught my eye so I just got some coffee. (Well, flavored water since its only Nescafe. But the Nescafe just reinforces that I'm at Disney).

Headed over to gates. I took some time to figure out approximately where my brick will be. Looks like front and center for the anniversary bricks. Got in a short line, but it didn't move at all. Finally I switched line, and of course my old line moves and my new line stops. No worries, I'm finally in the park, alone, no kid pulling my where he wants to go.

The park wasn't officially open yet so I stroll through Main Street. Checked out the menu at Carnation Cafe, but decided I wasn't hungry. I had biscotti and juice on the plane and that was enough for now. I waited near Casey's Corner for the rope drop then headed directly to Peter Pan. Even on a solo trip, that has to be my first ride of the day. I must say the Castle looks amazing. I didn’t like the new paint job when it was first uncovered. It looked too much like cake frosting. But now that its had time to fade, its not so bad. But now that they’ve started putting up the gold railings, it really is beautiful. You have to look hard, but there’s a D right in the center of the railing, very nice.

I rode every single Fantasyland ride, except the Tea Party (can't do round and round like that) and Matterhorn, by 11am. No line anywhere, although they started to build up a little as I was leaving. Not once did I feel weird about being an adult doing all these kid's rides, well except when on Dumbo, I didn't do as much up and down flying as I would have with my son.

As I was riding Casey Jr, I noticed that Tink's new line was up on the Matterhorn. There's a big new "tree" that it's connected to. The "tree" stands taller and greener than any others in the area. It looks like its a little higher than her old crash pad. I couldn't tell how she's supposed to land now because I couldn't see any kind of platform up there. But its a lot more visible than the old one.

I was starting to get hungry, but no one was serving lunch yet. I went over to Adventure land, grabbed a FP for Indy, then saw that Bengal BBQ was open. I didn't want the meat skewers because I planned on heading back over to Carnation Cafe for the Steak Melt, so I just got the veggie skewer.

After my snack I went through the back alleys of New Orleans Square, stopping to look at the sparkly times in the jewelry store on my way to the Haunted Mansion, were I walked right on. Just had to wait for the chamber to fill before starting. All I can say is WOW, love the new effects. Also, I guess I really haven't paid that much attention to the regular version since I love it as Nightmare B4 Christmas. But I just love the regular version now. Can anyone tell me if all the ghosts that pop up in the attic used to say "I do"? Well they all do now, but I never noticed before.

I went to Winnie the Pooh next, and again, walked right on. After the ride, I wandered through Pooh's Corner, didn't buy anything though. I went back to Indy, the posted time was 20 minutes, but as I was walking up the FP ramp, I see all these people just running through the standy side. There was no one in queue outside. Got to the CM and he wouldn't take my FP. He just told me to hold onto it for later since there was no line. He also told me "You know those are good all day right?". Well, yes, I did know, but it was nice of him to offer that little tidbit.

I got stuck behind a big group of middle school girls, laughing and giggling all through the queue. And one of them kept trying to tell her friends that she new a trick on this ride. I figured she was talking about the pole in the spike room, and she was, but either it wasn't working, or someone had just pulled it, because it didn't go off. I even tried it myself thinking that she needed to pull it harder, but still nothing. I was hoping that they were loading from both sides so I wouldn't have to ride with them. I just knew they would be screaming during the whole ride. Well both sides were open, and I chose the other side. Unfortunately another group of girls got assigned to my jeep, and they screamed at the top of their lungs, the entire time.

Ok, so now I'm deaf and hungry. I made my way to Carnation Cafe. I checked the times board on my way. Peter Pan was up to 30 min and Matterhorn was at 25. I think they were only running 1 track, not sure since I didn't make it over there. I went to the Carnation Cafe for lunch, and as planned, had the Steak Melt. There was no wait and plenty of open tables. I think it was about 12pm by now. I had a leisurely lunch then strolled through the watch and jewelry shops on Main St. My gold Tinkerbell charm is gone. (Someone came up with the $950 for her!)

It was time for California Adventure where I went straight to Tower of Terror, 13 minute wait, which translates into no wait. My elevator wasn't even full. I went back around and got in line again. But after this ride, I decided to ask the CM if he had any vacancies. He let me wait in the hallway, but asked me to be quiet as he opened the elvator doors and scared the next group. After they loaded, he let me take any open seat. I ended up right in the front, right in the middle. Also, there was another CM riding too.

Ok, 3 times in a row, I think I've had enough, so I'm off to CA Screamin. I got sidetracked at the Animation Building though. I wanted to see who was in there today and to see what character I was like. I have never been able to walk into the Beast's Library and right up to one of the games. That was pretty cool. Today I was most like the Evil Queen. Did my first pin trade with one of the CMs. She had one from a set that my son was collecting, so I got it for him. Geez, even when he's not with me, I'm doing stuff for him.

Now, I can head over to CA Screamin. I took time for another pin trade. I got a jungle cruise boat pin and the CM I traded with started telling me how he had done about 7000 cruises but got tired of it. He requested to come over to CA when it opened. As we were talking, people kept asking him for passes. I finally realized they were single rider passes. Not sure when they added it, but they've got one now. You go in the wheelchair entrance, take the elvator up, go over the track and then elevator back down. I got a pass, but but the time I waited for the elevators, I didn't save any time. The wait was posted at 20 minutes, but was more like 5-10.

After Screamin, I went to Maliboomer, no need for single rider on this one today either even though they only had 1 tower going. I just had to wait for the next launch. I then made my way to Soarin and walked right in, again, no single rider needed. After Soarin, I wanted one more trip on ToT, but this time there was a short wait. They already had a group waiting to go in the library and the line was out the door of the lobby, so I passed and went back to DL.

As I got to DL, the Princess Celebration was starting, so I grabbed a bench by the castle to see what it was all about. Plus I saw Prince Philip, who I had wanted to see all day, but hadn't. They really found a good lookin' guy for this prince. It was the same one I had seen last month. The celebration was cute, better than the Cavalcade, but not worth waiting around for.

I had to head back over to Pooh's Corner because I had promised my son a Tigger Tail, his favorite DL treat. On my way I grab a FP for Thunder Mountain. When I get to Critter Country, there was a film crew taking some candid shots. No actors, just filming the guests visiting Pooh. Then I saw them again filming a little boy playing with mouse ears at the hat shop.

On my way back I rode HM again. This time the sound went out in the stretching room. It was weird, usually there are so many people reciting the speil that you can barely hear the ghost host, but this time we were in complete silence. The CM was trying to push buttons to get it working, but nothing. Then you see the hanging skeleton and the lights go out. It seemed liek the doors weren't even going to open. No sound, no lights, no doors opening. Was I going to become the 1000 ghost?? Finally the doors open, and smooth sailing the rest of the ride.

Went on Pirates next. No wait, but a very annoying ride. I had to listen to a lady telling her friends all about her search for a day care. She's yelling so she can be heard over the ride. Hello??? This is not afternoon tea where you chat with your friends, I'd like to hear the ride please! Then I notice she's breast feeding too. No, I'm not against breast feeding, but she had no blanket, no nothing covering. I guess she figured it was dark enough?? But she's talking so loudly and drawing so much attention to herself, what was she thinking?? Ok, well so this is only my 2nd bad ride experience today, I'm not going to let it ruin my day.

Time for my FP on Thunder Mountain. The CM at the entrance wasn't paying attention and a whole bunch of people went in the FP line who didn't have FPs. Some of them realized they were in the wrong line when they started passing a bunch of people. But others got disappointed when they got to the next CM who wouldn't let them in. Still, it only took me 5 min to get on and they were only loading from 1 side.

It was almost time to go, but I wanted to ride the Matterhorn before I left. Unfortunately it was down. The CM said they lost power. They had already cleared the ride and the line, so I knew it had been down a while. I waited about 10 minutes, but they still weren’t back up. So I decided I had to leave, or risk missing my flight. I grabbed a corn dog on my way out and said goodbye to DL.

I thoroughly enjoyed my solo trip, but I would much rather have a few more days at the park. It was slow, so there weren’t any lines. But since I only had 1 day, I was trying to fit everything in. I would have spent more time shopping and strolling if I had the luxury of a few days. Still, I am very glad I went and can truly feel the difference in my attitude. Who needs shrinks when you’ve got Disneyland?

Even with my trying to leave early enough to get to the airport on time, it almost backfired. There is a detour right now around the airport and it takes you past Long Beach City College, where apparently everyone goes to night classes. It was about 6:45 and I had a 7:45 flight. There was so much traffic from all the students trying to park and get to class. Then after I get back on the road I need to be on, I take a wrong turn. Finally made it, returned the rental. Why did all other companies have someone meeting the returns, but not Budget? Anyway, I had printed my boarding pass at home before I left
so I just had to get through security and even then there were only about 5 people ahead of me, so I got to the gate just when they started boarding.

Made it home on time, then back to work on Thursday.

Hakuna Makarla
02-17-2005, 03:14 PM
WOW ! buisy day and cool one to!! I am glad you got the one day vacation, how ya feeling today?

Earkid
02-17-2005, 06:01 PM
This sounds like the best one day trip, got2travel!! I loved the story of the loud teenyboppers. "So now I'm deaf and hungry", hee hee, that made me laugh. We went thru the same thing on POTC too. So glad to hear you are taking care of yourself and your trip report was so excellent. :D

rentayenta
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Very cool report. I could feel the freedom of you being there alone~awesome!

SCUBAbe
02-17-2005, 07:12 PM
It sounds like you had a great trip. It gives me a bot more courage to ride rides alone. :)

...about POTC...ny mother talked through the whole ride once. She didn't ruin it for anyone excpet me, because we were the only two people in the boat. However, I still found it annoying and she's related to me...LOL...

Viva La Disney
02-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Wow looks like you had a busy day,sounded like fun!

Nfatuated
02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Can anyone tell me if all the ghosts that pop up in the attic used to say "I do"? Well they all do now, but I never noticed before.

Yes they have always said "I Do" Its weird though because I too love the NBC overlay and have not seen the original in 2 1/2 years! I always go during the Holiday Theme. I think i will have to plan my trip pre-holiday this year.

Tinkerbelle923
02-18-2005, 10:38 AM
Great trip report, thanks. It sounds like you had a fantastic time...

yellowrosedtxn
02-18-2005, 10:57 AM
That sounds like an Awesome time. I did that once when my kids were in school, but to a local attraction here. People thought I was nuts, but I just enjoyed a few hours by myself, doing what I wanted to and it was a blast. Sounds like you should do something like that more often!!! Thanks for the report.

justlittleoldme
02-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Ok, here's the trip report, sorry its really long, but I decided to give you all a blow by blow.

Sounds like a great trip! MY DH was there with the boys that day, and said it was "very pretty". I wonder what they were shooting. Glad you had fun :)

Shortiemetoo
02-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Wow, what a great trip!! Thank you for a trip report that made me feel like I was really there!!! :D

Raven
02-18-2005, 11:24 AM
I agree, it felt like I was walking through Disneyland with you! Thank you for the great trip report!

disney jones
02-18-2005, 11:29 AM
sounds like my kind of day - great report!

Mukta
02-18-2005, 11:42 AM
I'm so glad you had a good time. A lot of us here were thinking about you!

Hawaiian Cinderella
02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
GREEEAAATTT report...wish i lived close enough to just hop over for a day....

TikiGeek
02-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Great, great report - now I'm inspired and LMAO :D

Maus
02-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Great report! Very inspirational for those afraid to visit solo. I do that all the time and enjoy it immensely.

rentayenta
02-18-2005, 12:27 PM
Great report! Very inspirational for those afraid to visit solo. I do that all the time and enjoy it immensely.

I agree! I will be there on the 10th for at least half of the day~alone. The thought of strolling down Main St. with an iced mocha in hand, not pushing a stroller, has me giddy. It is really too much :)

dlandnut
02-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Sounds like you had a great time. What are the Steak Melts like at the Carnation? Is that part of your tradition? :)

got2travel
02-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Glad you all enjoyed reading about it. I had a blast.

I'm trying to figure out when I can do it again. But I've already got 2 trips planned in March, unfortunately not Disney, but still fun. (Yes, I do really live up to my screen name.)

dlandnut - the Steak Melt is not a tradition, just something I wanted to try, but my son never wanted to eat at the Cafe. Its like a philly cheesesteak, but instead of thinly sliced steak, its actaully a small sirloin steak, with sauteed onions and cheese on a french roll. It was really good and might actually become a tradition now.