PDA

View Full Version : Ramen noodles?

MikeDemo
02-17-2005, 12:00 PM
As a college student I eat a never ending diet of ramon noodles (2 packs per meal, 2 meals a day) and some bread. I only use 1 flavor pack per 2 packs to try to cut down on the damn salt. Is most of the "bad" stuff is ramon in that flavor pack?

Lani
02-17-2005, 12:39 PM
As a college student I eat a never ending diet of ramon noodles (2 packs per meal, 2 meals a day) and some bread. I only use 1 flavor pack per 2 packs to try to cut down on the damn salt. Is most of the "bad" stuff is ramon in that flavor pack?The flavor pack usually consists of MSG, and it usually has way too much salt.

But forget the flavor packet. Instant ramen noodles are deep fried.

Super cheap, but ramen is really pretty bad. If you embellish it with an egg, onions, meat, veggies, etc. you're diluting its poor nutrition qualities, but it's still generally very bad for you.

02-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Samtron, I'd like to follow up on what Lani says about sodium. Look up the sodium on one of those ramen packets. Now multiply it by 4 to get what you're taking in by eating those 4 packets every day.

Now read this article (http://observer.case.edu/cgi-bin/article.py?id=105).

Edited to add: Recommended daily sodium intake is 2,300 mg or less, about 1 teaspoon of salt.

Andrew
02-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Samtron, I'd like to follow up on what Lani says about sodium. Look up the sodium on one of those ramen packets. Now multiply it by 4 to get what you're taking in by eating those 4 packets every day.

To which I can only add, Sodium! (ftp://pop1.science.widener.edu/pub/mst3k/MS/817b.wav)

Warning: It's pretty loud.

Stupid_American
02-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Breakfast cereal is a good source of collegiate nutrition.

Mooshu
02-17-2005, 05:34 PM
I LOVE RAMEN!!! When I was in college that's all I ate also...try pasta with jar sauce. Much better for you and just as cheap in the long run.:D

stan4d_steph
02-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Instant Udon noodles are similar to ramen, but can cost a bit more. They're not fried but they still have the sodium issue, like most prepared foods. I like them a lot better than ramen.

Mark Goldhaber
02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
OK, small world time. I was a staff photographer/writer for the Observer back in 1981-82, during my one year at CWRU.

Lani
02-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Edited to add: Recommended daily sodium intake is 2,300 mg or less, about 1 teaspoon of salt.OK, but this is a huge "Yes, but."

The jury is still out on how bad salt is for everyone. Those who already have high blood pressure are encouraged to limit their salt intake, but there is no solid research yet that shows that eating "too much salt" is actually bad for you. Take a look at this article from HealthCentral.com (http://www.healthcentral.com/news/NewsFullText.cfm?id=516632) (which I trust; it's Dr. Dean Edell's site).

Also, there is a life-threatening condition called hyponatremia (http://www.marathonguide.com/training/coachmindy/hyponatremia.cfm) -- "water poisoning" that happens to people who do long-distance physical challenges like marathons and triathlons, who only replenish their water loss without ingesting the sodium they lose in their sweat. Someone who runs a slower marathon (let's say 5 hours) on a hot day might easily lose 20+ grams of sodium during their run!

Salt is an important part of the diet... and I am the first one to raise my hand and tell you I eat way too much salt. I think I'm pickling my insides. I'll let you know if I end up with health problems because of it.

02-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Huh. I am learning stuff. Had never heard of hyponatremia (although it makes total sense) or the vascular stuff in the article Lani cites above.

Obviously, everyone's heard too much sodium is not a good idea. And the "too much salt" seems to be an individual matter. Apparently, about 10% of the general population is very sensitive to salt or has unidentified conditions that salt aggravates.

We all know about the hypertension thing and the edema. Ladies, it also seems that longterm high-salt intake contributes to osteoporosis because prolonged consumption of lots of salt can increase calcium loss.

All things in moderation. Hey, there's a thought!

Bill Catherall
02-18-2005, 09:26 AM
All things in moderation. Hey, there's a thought!
Including Ramen noodles. ;)

Eating the same thing for all meals, even if it's not bad for you, is generally not a good thing. But make it something that isn't really nutritious and you make things much worse.

Brat
02-26-2005, 07:06 PM
OK, but this is a huge "Yes, but."

The jury is still out on how bad salt is for everyone. Those who already have high blood pressure are encouraged to limit their salt intake, but there is no solid research yet that shows that eating "too much salt" is actually bad for you..................Salt is an important part of the diet... and I am the first one to raise my hand and tell you I eat way too much salt. I think I'm pickling my insides. I'll let you know if I end up with health problems because of it.
another "Ya, but..." Not enough salt in your diet can be really bad too, and not just for runners.

I hate salt. I avoid it when at all possible. I eat mostly homemade stuff, not prepacked or out of a box, so I actually consume too little salt. My doctor has told me to up my salt intake because my blood pressure is too low, about 68/48. I'll start drinking more margaritas. Will that help? ;)

sdfilmcritic
02-27-2005, 10:28 AM
It's lots of carbs, but Ramen Noodles are cheap and easy. I like them for a small meal or snack item.