PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Article

JRob2k1
12-21-2001, 01:22 PM
If you want to read a really good article on why Tower of Terror needs to be awesome, go to Themeparkadventure.com

Here's the Link (http://www.themeparkadventure.com/westworld.htm)

Enjoy!

-JRob

mad4mky
12-21-2001, 02:23 PM
Good article. I hope Disney does TOT as in Florida. It's an awesome attraction. To me, its the best ride in WDW.

The only sad thing that I always think is...if they keep bringing the Florida rides out here (It's Tough to Be a Bug, Muppets, Honey I Shrunk the Audience), will I have a reason to go back to WDW, where I spend loads more money? I don't know the answer to that yet...
but its a possibility I'll be spending more dollars here (and still saving) by having these attractions here.

innerSpaceman
12-21-2001, 02:38 PM
Ho hum. I'm tired of Florida hand-me-downs. If ToT does ever appear here, in whatever form (and does anyone seriously doubt it will be the ToT Lite version), then to me it will just be another dusty, 10 YEAR OLD, too-late-for-excitement ride lacking all creative spark. Retread, repeat, copy, facsimile, sequel, remake. None of these applicable adjectives inspire me with anticipatory thrill about Tower of Terror.

Alex S.
12-21-2001, 02:56 PM
Tower of Terror is one of the best themed attractions I've seen Disney do. Now they just need to pep it up so that it will have some terror. It is just a drop ride, and those are boring.

Iceman
12-21-2001, 07:37 PM
I think that article was the kind of thing MousePlanet should publish instead of their vitriol-filled diatribes. It's clear that MousePlanet (and Al Lutz in particular) just likes getting attention for being anti-Disney.

Anyway, Tower of Terror is one of my all-time favorite attractions. It's a thrill ride without being petrifying, and the theming is SO well done. I spoke to some California Adventure cast members about the prospect of their own Tower, and I was surprised to find that they didn't mind the idea of a "Tower Lite". To me, the BEST part of the ride is when the elevator moves horizontally and you see all those special effects from old Twilight Zone episodes.

Isn't the logic of this guy's article just TOO compelling for Disney not to listen to it? Could they really be so short-sighted that they would take the cheapo option and sacrifice Disney quality? :confused:

Nigel2
12-21-2001, 11:22 PM
Well we can't get a 100% clear answer on weather or not its going to be "lite" or regualar version, so we will just have to wait.

JRob2k1
12-22-2001, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Ho hum. I'm tired of Florida hand-me-downs.

I would agree with you, but if we were to get one Florida attraction, I wish it to be ToT! But just like the article said, this attraction will be a huge swinging point. Either Disney goes all out and make this the same, and perferrably better then her sister to silence most critics for the time being. Or they can go Lite, which is probably the more likely of the two, and end up proving everything the critics have said abotu DCA!!

The ball is in their court!

-JRob

80S ERA
12-22-2001, 02:05 AM
We might end up with Mini-TOT. I've heard that the height of the MGM Studios version would be visible from inside Disneyland park. If this is true, they would have to build a very large portion of it under the current DCA land height - which would be very expensive.

jslivinski
12-31-2001, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the link, really enjoyed the articles (past and present).

2CN
12-31-2001, 12:36 PM
From what I've read, it is going to be a lite version.. if anything, going to be better then the Florida one. It wil have three shafts.. more cars.. while still keeping the show, and even improving it.

Here is a copy of a post DisneyAce made over at DCACentral.com
the thread can be found here (http://www.dcacentral.com/dca/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=187)

O.K, I am warning you, this is a 'Best of' post based on what two, well respected insiders say about the look and experience of the currently in development ToT for DCA. Hope these two don't mind (MackAttack and Jim Disney)....

Jim Disney: After seeing a few things about DCA's tower I think I'm going to chime in a bit here...

I'm actually kinda excited about this version, namely because even in it's looks it will be unique! Don't expect something that looks like Florida's tower! The capacity will be higher and I don't think it'll be at the cost of show integrity. Yes, it will be shorter, but that's to fit it into scale with the rest of the resort, I forget the exact number, but it was in the 140-150 range if I remember correctly. Drop shaft length is not shorter.

I think if they can build this project without any major budget cuts (it sounds as if the budget numbers are pretty firm) it will be a winner. Something similar to the original, yet very unique for DCA!

JD http://www.westcoaster.net
__________________________________________________ ____________________

MackAttack: Here are just some tidbits I can share. The tower itself will sink nearly 50 feet into the ground, but the full height of the building will be about double the height of the Hyperion. The shaft will in no way, shape or form be shorter than the one in Florida.

The sign on the front side, which I'm happy about, will finally be moved up on the tower ABOVE the blast zone. As an earlier criticism I made about the one in Florida was that it made no sense whatsoever to have the Hollywood Tower Hotel sign still attached to the building right in the same spot where the lightning struck. That to me was a mistake the Imagineers made. Well, this team thinks so too and that is why they are moving the sign higher up to make it appear that it should still be there even after the lightning had struck. The blast zone on the building will be more defined as well.

The color palate will be slightly different from the one in Florida, but more in the color tones and not necessarily in changing from one color to another. The architectural look, though, will largely remain the same. The 3 shafts will face Northwest in direction and the building will seem thinner since the upshafts will be non-existant to the footprint. However, the main tower with the 3 shafts will be basically the same width as the one in Florida.

The entry through the dead garden will remain virtually the same, along with the hotel lobby, den and boiler room load area. There will be some changes to the boiler room/load area to accommodate the difference in loading 2 vehicles per shaft. The exit area will also have the shop as well.

As for the details on the inside new show effects, well, you will just need to wait a little while longer.

As I have stated before, this ride will be every much as good, if not better, than the one in Florida - with a higher capacity. So, for those who claim otherwise, stop your whining. The budget is good and healthy and there isn't any concern of any budget cuts or design changes to ruin this plan that has been set for quite some time now.

The basement is being dug now and the vertical will begin later this fall.

The increase in capacity isn't due primarily to the slight reduction in the cycle time. It has to do more with the additional drop shaft and how the load/unload setup is being designed allowing more ride vehicles to move in the attraction.

The final show scenes are being finalized, but the one hotel hallway scene with the ghostly images are still part of the show package at this time.

Nigel2
12-31-2001, 10:51 PM
Well the reason (according to others) that they move the cars foreward in the shaft if so they can have multiple cars in each shaft, so 3 up and down ones would only mean 3 cars. You know, I always wondered why the sign was there, and also why it lit up, but I think the sign is supposed to be damaged.