PDA

View Full Version : Disney companion...

drjones
02-16-2005, 09:43 PM
First off, I love disneyland. I even like DCA..

Here's my dilemma...

I love my family very much

I love my wife very much...

BUT...

she is scared to go on most rides

space mountain, big thunder, matterhorn, Indy, splash mountain, heck, even pirates...

I can easily go on with my 2 oldest kids (10 and 11yo respectively),
I can even go on myself (which I do when visiting the park solo)

My concern is that sometimes you want to share the ride experience with another adult. have conversations in line that dont revolve around pokemon or video games.

I think you get my drift....

any thoughts? or am I alone in this?

dlfanshl
02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
We travel with another family and it works out great!!! This summer will be our 9th year going on vacation together. We live on the West Coast and they live on the East Coast. We spend a week reconnecting, riding rides, and lounging by the pool. There are 10 of us, 4 adults and 6 kids ages 8,8,9,10,11 and 12 there is always someone willing to go on that special ride.

drjones
02-16-2005, 10:30 PM
The problem with larger groups is that is becomes harder to get anything done. Sometimes we will sit for 2 hrs to decide in committee what to do next..

sdfilmcritic
02-16-2005, 11:12 PM
I understand. As I grew older suddenly my family has become accustomed to getting motion sickness on rides and no longer want to ride the "big" rides. :sigh: My riding partner list is shrinking.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-16-2005, 11:44 PM
I understand perfectly. I used to be such a brave soul! My hubby and I had a blast on all of the ride. THEN...I got this illness where riding things like Space Mountain and California Screamin are no longer an option for me. SO...hubby has to ride alone. I do normally stand in line with him, until the front and then I step across the car and wait at the end for him. :)

SCUBAbe
02-17-2005, 06:06 AM
I totally understand. I usually go with my daughter and thats the only way I knew DL for years. She is 14 now so it's fun to go with her, but when she was younger the day would drag at times. Don't get me wrong I LOVED taking her and most of the time we did have fun. Anyway, the last MA I went to the park with adults only. It was so fun. I truely experienced DL a bit differently, but it's also fun to go with my child...it's just different....ok I can't explain...LOL

CrazyTrain
02-17-2005, 07:17 AM
As someone who doesn't ride any of the rides you mentioned (except Pirates, even though I don't like the drops in the beginning), they certainly don't constitute "most" rides. And she pobably can wait in line with you on most of them, then get out before you actually get on the ride.

I agree with what other have been saying... bring a friend or two along who will go on those rides with you.

AnotherPixie
02-17-2005, 07:19 AM
You are not alone, never think that! :) Here is my suggestion:

Generally, people fear a ride because they are not familiar with it, they don't know what to expect and they can't take the risk to find out otherwise. I suggest you help your wife neutralize her fear by getting her acquainted with the ride itself. Take her to:

http://visionsfantastic.com/

They have music and video of the attractions at the park. Watch the video of the ride with her, point out various highlights of the ride as you watch it. Explain things in a positive way but do not try to 'sell' the ride to her. Listen to the music for the rides, help her to experience it as much as possible.

I hope this advice helps! Good luck!

Disneynerd
02-17-2005, 07:30 AM
I know how you feel drjones. If you are at the park on 3/16, 3/17 and 3/18, I'd love to catch a few rides with you. My husband and I will be doing "Parent Swap" (somehow that doesn't sound right to me) and taking in a few rides solo.

Shortiemetoo
02-17-2005, 04:22 PM
I understand perfectly. I used to be such a brave soul! My hubby and I had a blast on all of the ride. THEN...I got this illness where riding things like Space Mountain and California Screamin are no longer an option for me. SO...hubby has to ride alone. I do normally stand in line with him, until the front and then I step across the car and wait at the end for him. :)

This worked very well for my daughter and I a few weeks ago. She found out she was pregnant 2 days before our trip and was experiencing morning sickness. She had been to DLR in Sept/Oct and wanted me to ride all the rides, especially in DCA having never been there before. She waited in line with me for each ride and then just waited on the "other side" for me until the ride was over. Hard for her (she loves the rides) but nice that we got to visit the whole time instead of her waiting for me and us both being alone!

drjones
02-17-2005, 08:27 PM
You are not alone, never think that! :) Here is my suggestion:

Generally, people fear a ride because they are not familiar with it, they don't know what to expect and they can't take the risk to find out otherwise. I suggest you help your wife neutralize her fear by getting her acquainted with the ride itself. Take her to:

http://visionsfantastic.com/

They have music and video of the attractions at the park. Watch the video of the ride with her, point out various highlights of the ride as you watch it. Explain things in a positive way but do not try to 'sell' the ride to her. Listen to the music for the rides, help her to experience it as much as possible.

I hope this advice helps! Good luck!

She has been on the rides, but she does not like drops, banked curves or going fast. My sister and brother in law didn't believe me about rides even like pirates. Until we tricked her into going on. She led us to believe that she would go on if all of us went on, myself, the kids, my sister and my brother-in-law, etc. she was planning on baoarding the boat and then bailng at the last minute while the rest of us were seated..well, the plan backfired, the kids got in her way so she couldn't escape, and when she found out she couldn't get off, she panicked..(have you ever tried to give a cat a bath in a bathtub)....well, in a nutshell, she has been on the rides (some of them) and she wont fall for coersion again.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-17-2005, 11:58 PM
the kids got in her way so she couldn't escape, and when she found out she couldn't get off, she panicked..(have you ever tried to give a cat a bath in a bathtub)....well, in a nutshell, she has been on the rides (some of them) and she wont fall for coersion again.

Believe me....there's no reason to push!!! I felt that way when hubby convinced me how much fun I'd have on California Screamin'....well...I CRIED when I got off that ride. (I know, big baby!) But, since I have this sickness, I cannot be on that type of ride, and it really upsets me, but, having no support from him would make it double bad. Support your sweetheart...let her wait in line with you and chat and have fun. She will be at the end waiting for you with a big smile, instead of a scowl for making her ride something she's uncomfortable riding. :)

drjones
02-18-2005, 08:13 AM
the thing about her is that she does not get sick on the rides. She just panics. She swears she used to go on those rides and even until recently. (5 yrs ago) she even volunteered to go on Ghost rider at knotts...

It seems purely psychological because she will go on Star Tours will no ill effect..