PDA

View Full Version : The FIRM was so difficult...

SCUBAbe
02-16-2005, 04:40 PM
maybe it was because it was my first work out, but 62min is a LONG time. I got through it though. I ended up buying the weight stick version and as soon as I put the video in I saw it required a step as well. They should put that on the box! Anyway, I made it through the frist workour...barely...there was moment when I was just staring at the TV thinking WTH....LOL

Sheila
02-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Yeah, you should be following Libby (who does the modified versions of each move). Trying to do the tape for the first time *with* weights? That's just crazy! ;) :D

And don't try to use a step as high as the one in the video; use something much lower until you build up your leg muscles. When I've been off the wagon and then start back up, I always have to start out with only a 4-5 inch high step for the leg presses; there's absolutely no way I could use a 13 inch high step for that exercise move! :eek:

But good on 'ya for getting through it. Thankfully, after the first week or so, it isn't nearly as painful.... :)

Sheila

Lani
02-17-2005, 08:05 AM
I've never used the Firm videos... they're the ones that incorporate resistance training with dumbbells, right?

I'm with Sheila -- when you're new to a workout tape, following the person who is doing the modified movements would be best until you are comfortable with that level.

Also, if there's a step involved and that's too difficult, the best modification is to do the steps without actually going up on the step itself. I do some stepwork in my PowerSculpt class at the gym, and for those with knee problems or who are beginners, our instructor suggests copying the movements on the floor instead of stepping up on the step.

62 minutes *IS* a long time! They don't have like a 20-30 minute beginner version?

Sheila
02-17-2005, 12:25 PM
Also, if there's a step involved and that's too difficult, the best modification is to do the steps without actually going up on the step itself. I do some stepwork in my PowerSculpt class at the gym, and for those with knee problems or who are beginners, our instructor suggests copying the movements on the floor instead of stepping up on the step.

62 minutes *IS* a long time! They don't have like a 20-30 minute beginner version?

There are two different steps used in the Firm videos: one is the traditional step height for power aerobics (generally 4-6 inches high); the other is used for leg presses and reverse dips (between 13-14 inches high and used in a very slow, controlled non-aerobic manner).

The current Firm configuration has three videos in it: a slow-and-steady heavier weights training, a aerobics/weights video and usually an abs video. They suggest that beginners do the modifications and only complete as much of the aerobics video as they are comfortable with when first starting the Firm regimen. A complete training schedule is provided along with the set.

Earlier Firm videos are all different time lengths but most incorporate the aerobics coupled with weight training philosophy. You get some pretty awesome results from them. When I used them regularly, I slimmed down really fast without killing myself on a daily basis. 3-4 times a week was all that's needed. I lurv my Firms. :)

SCUBAbe
02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
I don't have the official step. I used a step I already had. It's only about 4 inches high. I was following the main instructor, but it was modified just because my step is so short. It does have legs I can add on to make it 3 different heights, but I kept it short. My dumbell is only 3 lbs. They were using hesvier ones. I love the large weight bar. I have to say, my legs are really sore today, but my arms and abs don't hurt at all. I'm taking today off and doing the second video tomorrow. :)...it's called total scuplting plus abs....sounds fun..LOL

the rpoblem I ahve with the aerobics is I'm not coordianted. Some of the steps just cinfuse me. So, I end up just watching them and thinking,,,wth...The L move threw me as well as some circle thing they were doing. The tae bo stuff was easy, but I've done that before...:)

GreenDragon
02-28-2005, 09:26 AM
the rpoblem I ahve with the aerobics is I'm not coordianted. Some of the steps just cinfuse me.

Hah, that's the problem I have with most aerobics videos and classes. They start doing these things with their feet and arms and I'm like, "You expect me to keep track of all four limbs at once?!?" :eek:

SCUBAbe
03-08-2005, 08:24 PM
I have the firm step now (better known as the fanny lifter...LOL)...OMG at full height it is 14 inches. I mean I knew it would be, but actually doing the work out on it is really challenging....LOL...I'm keeping at it though.

crazi4dlr
04-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Great to find Firm followers. I bought the set 2 years ago on TV and it came with the Fanny lifter, 3 DVDs and the stick. I am on my 3rd week of working out and I do it 3 days a week. that's all I can manage for now, sore and worn out :p

I also have trouble with the cardio bit, I can't keep up and end up frustrated. I did get down the "light 4 limb" and the kickboxing because I used to do Tae Bo. But that full on arobics thing bugs me because it shows me how very uncoordinated I really am. I am convinced these girls are dancers as well. So I just walk around the living room while she does that part. I have found they focus mostly on the legs also, altho the DVD I'm using combines upper and lower.

Anyway, I'm glad to find a place to go to be encouraged because I want to get fit and not give up this time.

Laura