PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Kinkade Sleep Beauty's Castle painting. Info from Kinkade's store.

jrsharp21
02-16-2005, 09:50 AM
When we first heard about Thomas Kinkade creating a painting of Sleeping Beauty's Castle, my Dad contacted Thomas Kinkade's corporate office to find out information on the painting. Like many others who inquired about the painting, they were told that there was no news yet on the painting and in it's release. My Dad also check with the local gallery. Well he received some news about the painting the other day.

As of right now, the plans are to have the painting displayed at a Disney gallery (I am asuming at Disneyland) for several weeks (I am assuming this will turn into several months). Then after the painting or reprints of it will be displayed at select galleries. When they are displayed in the gallery, the stores will be taking pre-orders for the painting.

I am not sure as to how correct this information is, but this is what my Dad was told. He put his name on a list to be contacted when information was available, and this is is the info they gave him when they called him the other day.

I guess many people have been asking about this painting. One guy even came in and wanted to reserve 25 copies of the painting.

bradk
02-16-2005, 10:17 AM
that's awesome. i'm not religious by any means, so his work certainly hasn't appealed to me in that sense, but he's definitely got a lot of charm. i imagine his castle portrait will look amazing.

02-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Some buy Kinkade's stuff as an investment. Anyone have info either way about this?

Earkid
02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Some buy Kinkade's stuff as an investment. Anyone have info either way about this?

I've always heard his art was a good investment but I thought the value of art was correllated, at least in part, to the rarity of the piece. With Kinkade over-saturating the market I'm confused about the investment potential.

I saw a report (60 Minutes, 20/20 ?) about people who had signed up to exclusively sell Kinkade's work and open their own galleries. They were promised exclusivity and support from the Kinkade business franchise. But now their business investments were adversely affected by the fact that Kinkade now sells virtually everywhere, even via flyers in my credit card statements. They couldn't make a profit because the businesses owned directly by Kinkade were undercutting the "exclusive" sellers. Hence, there was a big class action lawsuit brought against Kinkade's company. Not sure how it turned out. I'm not really a fan of his work personally.

Nfatuated
02-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I own the SN Evening Majesty and find it has nothing to do with religion. In fact rarely are his pieces realted to reigion. I know he is a religious man, but I do not see crucifixs or churches in my piece?

I bought mine from an official Kinkade gallery, which has since gone another direction. I was told since Thomas went through QVC and ever other mass selling market availible, his work has become less of a collecters item. I agree and have not purchased a Kinkade painting since I saw him on QVC. His work just is not that important or meaningful anymore.

bradk
02-16-2005, 12:48 PM
his artwork itself isn't religious in nature for the most part, but his books are. that's all i'm saying. i'm not an art collector in general, so i wouldn't really buy anyone's works to hang on my walls, but there's no denying he has a religious connotation.

Nfatuated
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
I can agree with you there : )

Flint
02-16-2005, 03:44 PM

Kinkade == Krap.

Just as bad as that Lladro junk.

Hakuna Makarla
02-16-2005, 04:25 PM
I think his art is awsome,why would it be crap? some of us acually think its beautiful and worth having. I love his use of colors and my painting looks so alive.

SCUBAbe
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Kinkade == Krap.

Just as bad as that Lladro junk.

I agree...they are not selling painted peices. they are copies printed on canvas. How much can they be worth? I would rather own an actual painting. :)

SoCalDude
02-16-2005, 06:36 PM

I think the guy mentioned in the first post wanting to buy 25 prints is an example of that lol. But ya - I heard the same thing and never really thought it was a wise way to invest. Stuff like that you just never know and is not worth it to me.

If I do get one - it will be because I like the print - I just hope it is not 50th version of the castle :crying:

Biscuit
02-16-2005, 06:59 PM
I hope these pictures are still available in November when we go.

It doesn't matter about the investment value - we just like his paintings, though we haven't been able to afford any (well, more to the point, get them here in NZ easily). Kinkade combined with a Disney scene - couldn't be more perfect for sentimental value.

Pascomom
02-16-2005, 07:16 PM
On our last visit to DL (April 2004?) we came upon Thomas Kinkade painting the picture. He was outside the camera store at the end of main street. He was painting a scene of the square (hub where Walt and Mickey are) and Sleeping Beauty Castle in the background. It was in it's early stages but I could tell it was going to be gorgeous (yes, I am a fan). It was spring with lots of color in the trees. There were 3 or so cm's around him making sure people didn't get to close but it was cool seeing this. I took a picture from behind getting him and the partial painting. I mentioned to my husband it would be cool to own such a painting as well as have a photo of him creating it. But, I bet toooo expensive. Anyone have an idea of the cost of such a painting?

SCUBAbe
02-16-2005, 07:21 PM
. Anyone have an idea of the cost of such a painting?

they usually sell the replicas in mass. They are printed on canvas, but not an actual painting. The ones I saw were about $300-$500. I have no idea why though??

02-17-2005, 04:42 AM
They are printed on canvas, but not an actual painting. The ones I saw were about $300-$500. I have no idea why though??

My first thought: because Kinkade can command those prices?

SCUBAbe
02-17-2005, 06:01 AM
My first thought: because Kinkade can command those prices?

yeah...I just don't know why...LOL..I guess I wouldn't pay that for a computer printed image on canvas. When I was in the store that sells them people thought they were actual paintings. I was confused by that as well. I get confused easily though. I have no idea why people were paying over a hundred doallrs for a 6 dollar beanie baby either...:)...I suppose like any collectible, they are 'worth" so much, but in reality they are only "worth" what you would be able to resell it for...that is if they are being bought as invsetments.. :)

bradk
02-17-2005, 06:15 AM
hey, if what they have hanging in the louvre can pass for the mona lisa, then more power to them. if i had that kind of money falling out of my pockets, who knows what i'd buy.

i'm just hoping the castle painting is available as print on demand and won't cost an awful amount.

itig
02-17-2005, 09:08 AM
yeah...I just don't know why...LOL..I guess I wouldn't pay that for a computer printed image on canvas. When I was in the store that sells them people thought they were actual paintings. I was confused by that as well. I get confused easily though. I have no idea why people were paying over a hundred doallrs for a 6 dollar beanie baby either...:)...I suppose like any collectible, they are 'worth" so much, but in reality they are only "worth" what you would be able to resell it for...that is if they are being bought as invsetments.. :)

They have several different "levels" of prints that you can purchase. The more limited the number produced, the more expensive. The prices also go up as the number available diminishes.

The higher priced ones are actually printed on canvas and they have Kinkade trained artists add paint to the prints to make them more like the original.

I have a $50 deposit down at a Kinkade gallery for the castle print. We received a letter not too long ago regarding how they are going to handle it. I don't have it with me, but here's what I remember. Disneyland will have the exclusive on 100% of one of the levels of prints and 50% of another level until sometime in the spring of 2006. I think it was June. At that time, the galleries can begin selling the prints to the general public. If anyone is really interested, I can round up the letter and provide exact details.

mystycalchyk
02-17-2005, 09:31 AM
I am interested. I'm not a huge Kinkade fan but I admit I like his use of light. Im sure the castle will be beautiful.

PM me?

JPIVERSON
02-17-2005, 09:48 AM
If they produce them as a $20 poster, I'd definately buy one. While I'm not a huge Kincade fan, I do think his work is nice looking... and I'm a huge Sleeping Beauty's castle fan. :D