PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland references in random quotes

Saddlesore Swanson
02-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Long time board reader, first time poster, hiphiphooray for me. :D :cool:

Okay, here's the idea for this thread: post random quotes that reference Disneyland. The person should not necessarily be talking all about DL, just making a passing reference to it. Get it? Some of them are sure to be pretty funny, like the Sizzler/HM comment below.

I'll start off with 2 examples I came across today, while I was reading about other stuff:

[from http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/awards/grammys/2005-02-13-blog_x.htm]
Forget going to Disneyland: Now that they've won a Grammy, what's next for the three brothers in Los Lonely Boys? "A lot of people say they're going to Disneyland," bassist JoJo Garza said backstage. "I'm thinking about buying it, to be honest with you." —W.M. Posted 9:48 p.m.

[from http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/latimests/20050214/ts_latimes/restaurantsdishingoutnewlooks]
Restaurants Dishing Out New Looks By Julie Tamaki Times Staff Writer
"With green walls punctuated by dark wood, the interior decor at Sizzler restaurants was so dreary that one customer compared it to Disneyland's Haunted Mansion."

sdfilmcritic
02-15-2005, 10:59 PM
From Jurassic Park (1993)

John Hammond: All major theme parks have had delays. When they opened Disneyland in 1956, nothing worked, nothing.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: But, John. But if the Pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

Yes, the year is quoted wrong and the ride wasn't even created yet! Go watch the movie and you'll see this quote is actually in the film!!!

UncleGDogWord
02-16-2005, 05:02 AM
From the Movie Mallrats (1995) Dir Kevin Smith Universal

Tricia Jones: When are men going to learn that women want romance, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Brodie Bruce: Be fair, alright, everyone wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. :fez:

DisneyDustin22
02-16-2005, 11:18 AM
from one of the great classics...

LONESTAR: Did I miss something? When did we get to Disneyland?

(In "SPACEBALLS" when the four are discovered in the desert by Yogurt.)

danyoung
02-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I just want to say, Saddlesore Swanson - LOVE YOUR SIG!!!

jennyren
02-16-2005, 07:29 PM
LOST, tonight. Sawyer and Kate playing the I never game.

Sawyer: I never been to Disneyland....

Kate:....(doesn't drink b/c she never has)

Sawyer:...well thats just sad...

I love Lost :D

disney jones
02-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Here's a whole list (http://www.snpp.com/guides/disney.html) of Disney references in The Simpsons

animagusurreal
02-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Rob Petrie: You can look at marriage like prison or like Disneyland...you can see yourself as trapped within those walls or that within them are all your hearts desires.

- "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (Paraphrasing. I haven't seen that episode in years. If anyone knows the exact quote, please post :) )

Dianne Chambers: (talking about Rebecca)...a woman who is the emotional equivolent of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

- The last episode of "Cheers"

Michael Eisner: (talking to Brian) See you at Disneyland! (pause) Bring money...
- Family Guy

"Garfield and Friends" featured a park called "Wonderland" (I think) which was founded by the very Walt-looking Wilson Wonder, who, it turned out, secretly lived under the park and let his staff - the recurring greedy villian Al G. Swindler - run it for him.

And anyone remember the "Muppetland" episode of "Muppet Babies" where they make their own Disneyland? I had that on tape when I was a kid and I watched it a million times. It was the only time I ever saw characters on TV make up theme parks like I liked to do.

Gonzo's chicken-themed "land" included "Game Hens of the Carribbien" and "Roosters of the Lost Ark" (Interestingly, before there was an Indy ride at DL.)

- Brent
(animagusurreal)

duffman03
02-17-2005, 09:44 AM
One of my favorites from a few years ago was the mayor of Pattaya, Thailand describing his city as the 'sexual Disneyland' - talk about a brand connotation you don't want to be associated with if you're Disney!!

Saddlesore Swanson
02-17-2005, 04:36 PM
sdfc: the "1956" gaffe always boggled my mind, especially in a Spielberg film (that dude should know better!) I'd give 'em a pass on the Pirates reference though because it makes for a great line. Just wouldn't have the same impact if Ian said, "The Pack Mules don't eat the tourists!" (Just their hats.)

D.Young: thanks man! America Sings fan?

D.Jones: Yes indeed, The Simpsons reigns supreme with random DL references (and a few Epcot disses!)

bradk
02-17-2005, 05:10 PM
ugh. offtopic, but spielburg is awful with all that. in AI, he practically has coney island in midtown manhattan. really disturbed me.

Nfatuated
02-17-2005, 08:39 PM
ugh. offtopic, but spielburg is awful with all that. in AI, he practically has coney island in midtown manhattan. really disturbed me.

? :confused:

sdfilmcritic
02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
? :confused:There is a scene toward the end of AI: Artificial Intellegience when David (the main character) is in a submarine going through Manhattan which is now all underwater. The way he is driving through the underwater Manhattan gives the impression that Coney Island (a famous NY pier carnival) is located within or close to downtown Manhattan which it's not.

danyoung
02-18-2005, 05:05 AM
D.Young: thanks man! America Sings fan?

I wouldn't say a fan. I really hated this show early on, as it took the place of my beloved Carousel of Progress. I learned to enjoy it, eventually. And I heard the entire sound track somewhere recently (online?), and just love the ring of Burl Ives saying your sig name with such gusto!

bradk
02-18-2005, 06:26 AM
well manhattan is an island, there are plenty of piers in it, but to be more specific, coney island is at the southern-most tip of brooklyn, which is quite some distance away and home to such world famous pioneering Cyclone roller coaster and one of only two (?) existing sideshows today. but that belongs in another forum :)