PDA

View Full Version : 7/17/05

pokeypoke
02-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Forgive me if this question has been asked but, how many of you plan on being there for the actual date of Disneyland's 50th birthday and what do you expect? Here are some of my concerns:
1. Crowds - even though I WILL be there, do you think the crowds will be so overwhelming that it could take away from the excitement?

2. Space Mountain - will it or will it not be re-opened by the 17th? Some sources say it will be closed through Nov. 05, some say it will re-open on the 17th and others say in June. I can not see how it can take up to 2 years and 7 months to re-open this attraction (it closed on April 10, 2003). It's not as if they rebuilt the thing from scratch ground up.

3. Tickets - Do you think they will have a special ticket for that particular day (as in commemorative or special event ticket)?

4. Time of Arrival - Do you think people will start waiting outside the gates at wee-hours of the morning since this is a special day?

Regardless of what may or may not happen, I want to be able to say I was there on the EXACT date of Disneyland's 50th Birthday! What do you all think?

Pokey :)

SoCalSteven
02-13-2005, 01:26 PM
I've been considering going, but I'd want to be there SUPER early, like before the parking structure opens up.

BTW, last I heard Space Mtn was going to be closed until November. They pretty much are building it up from scratch, just keeping the exterior. That is probably harder than building from the ground up!

Darkbeer
02-13-2005, 03:11 PM
1. Crowds - even though I WILL be there, do you think the crowds will be so overwhelming that it could take away from the excitement?

My educated guess, the park will hit capacity. (around 70 to 80 thousand)

2. Space Mountain - will it or will it not be re-opened by the 17th?

The official return date is still listed as November, but it is no secret that Matt O. is trying his best to get it opened earlier. The revised internal date is July 17th, but currently they are running a few weeks behind that schedule. The questions are A) Can Matt get enough OT approved to get it done in time... B) Will any unexpected problem(s) or delays hit the project in the next few months... Nobody can answer the second question.. My guess, it is about a 50% chance that you could see Space Mountain open on July 17th... But I think we will have a better idea in May...

3. Tickets - Do you think they will have a special ticket for that particular day (as in commemorative or special event ticket)?

No special ticket will be needed to enter the park that day, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Disney sell a special ticket designed as a collector item.

4. Time of Arrival - Do you think people will start waiting outside the gates at wee-hours of the morning since this is a special day?

There is a joke running on another board about getting in line at 3 AM. Who knows what Disney will do, they have the right to say no line ups until a certain time. I think you need to be at the park by Noon hour to assure you won't be denied entrance due to the park hitting capacity. I see no need to get in line in the early AM, showing up at 8 or 9 AM should be fine....

By the way, it doesn't matter if you have a ticket, AP or staying in one of the Disney owned hotels, when the park reaches capactiy, no one will be allowed in (until enough people leave the park, reducing the crowd).

Disneyfreak
02-13-2005, 06:02 PM

2. Space Mountain - will it or will it not be re-opened by the 17th? Some sources say it will be closed through Nov. 05, some say it will re-open on the 17th and others say in June. I can not see how it can take up to 2 years and 7 months to re-open this attraction (it closed on April 10, 2003). It's not as if they rebuilt the thing from scratch ground up.

Pokey :)

1. Yes the park will be at capacity.
2. Space Mountain was gutted and basically built from the ground up again. They even had to modify the foundation which actually made it harder then just ripping the whole thing down.

Bigiver
02-13-2005, 09:23 PM
It would not surprise me if there was an early line on the 17th. I was in wdw for the millennium and tried to go to EPCOT for the celebration. We got to the line at the park at 6:30a.m. and never did get in. Park was full, the highway patrol was there and said people were there by 3:30 - 4:00. We went on to the Magic Kingdom and they closed as we arrived to all except Disney Hotel guests. MGM also filled and closed. We had been to Animal Kingdom the day befor so watched fireworks at Downtown Disney.