PDA

View Full Version : Tea Cups after Refurb = They still Suck!

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
02-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Someone over at MiceChat got to ride the Tea Cups after the refurb on Thursday...

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?p=14411#post14411 (http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?p=14411#post14411)

They had the teacups working on THURSDAY. As soon as I saw them working (knowing that they weren't supposed to be running until the next day) I ran over and jumped on (after getting off Matterhorn).

THEY DO NOT SPIN FASTER!!!
I repeat...

THEY DO NOT SPIN FASTER!!!
It's the same old story. After about 30 seconds everyone on the ride is just kicking back in the teacup, looking around to see if anyone could get their cup spinning...

It appears to have been just a rumor.

MAJOR BUMMER....:( :mad: :(

CrazyTrain
02-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Total suckage! :mad:

Stupid_American
02-12-2005, 05:54 PM
If they don't spin, what's the point?!

The music? :rolleyes:

SallySkellington
02-12-2005, 05:58 PM
So my dream about the teacups was a premonition! :eek:

Really, very much sucks. :(

Darkbeer
02-12-2005, 06:41 PM
The Hat Dance still spins wildly at Knott's Berry Farm...

Which proves that DOSH did not require Disney to "tighten" up the ride.....:mad:

SCUBAbe
02-12-2005, 06:55 PM
The Hat Dance still spins wildly at Knott's Berry Farm...

Which proves that DOSH did not require Disney to "tighten" up the ride.....:mad:

no the law suits did form irresponsible parents who don't supervise their children.

tinafromidaho
02-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Sorry all you guys hate them, I liked them just the way the were.

Darkbeer
02-12-2005, 07:45 PM
no the law suits did form irresponsible parents who don't supervise their children.

Actually, the thing that happened that caused the "tightening" was someone with limited mobility who was riding....

stitchlvr
02-12-2005, 08:20 PM
What was the purpose of the latest refurb if it wasn't to restore the spinning? Does anyone know?

marktips
02-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Paint and mechanics probably - if rides don't get periodic maintenance they eventuall die - sorta like WDW's Astro Orbitor who had it's rehab put off.. put off... and then suddenly it came early when the ride system decided to stop working.

stitchlvr
02-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Paint and mechanics probably - if rides don't get periodic maintenance they eventuall die - sorta like WDW's Astro Orbitor who had it's rehab put off.. put off... and then suddenly it came early when the ride system decided to stop working.

But I thought they did maintenance on the tea cups not long ago. Maybe I'm just confusing that with the closure to tighten them up.

HorizonsA
02-12-2005, 08:44 PM
But I thought they did maintenance on the tea cups not long ago. Maybe I'm just confusing that with the closure to tighten them up.

I think they were supposed to have a refurb for the tea cups in November, but they put it off till now. I think remember reading that some where.

Stupid_American
02-12-2005, 09:14 PM
Actually, the thing that happened that caused the "tightening" was someone with limited mobility who was riding....

Maybe we could provide "designated spinners"! :~D

AVP
02-12-2005, 09:34 PM
Actually, the thing that happened that caused the "tightening" was someone with limited mobility who was riding....Oh, here we go again. DB, I don't doubt that someone told you that, but I for one am getting sick and tired of hearing how visitors with disabilities are the root cause of all poor operational decisions at Disneyland. Skyway? Blame the disabled. Subs? Their fault too. Sheesh. The Disney company has proven, time and time again, that they WILL NOT make some of the changes that are required by an actual Federal law. Yet we're supposed to believe that they will make major changes - like disabiling the spin controls on a tea cup - when even DOSH has not required them to do so?

Seriously, I'd like them to find a new group to blame these things on. Hey - how about the MANAGEMENT?

AVP

Darkbeer
02-12-2005, 09:43 PM
Hey, I blame Management.... They took the cheap way out, instead of fixing the problem, they just turned off the spinning (or basically just made it almost impossible to spin).

The comment was to correct the statement that it was "irresponsible parents who don't supervise their children". I was trying to state the facts as I know them, I was not blaming the rider....

As far as I understand, it was the Lawyers and the Insurance Company that persuaded senior management that it was best to eliminate most of the spinning. So it is those folks who are to blame!

And I really hated when folks at Disney were claiming that DOSH had something to do with it, which was a total lie.

Now, the current Management has done a lot of good things, but they have also made some mistakes.....

AVP
02-12-2005, 09:50 PM
DB, again, I know you're relating what you've been told. I'm not doubting you at all, and I know you're not blaming the rider. I'm just sick of DISNEY using the disabled as an excuse, and they do it because it's convenient. When a guest complains about something, they can just blame it on the ADA because, after all, that's something out of their control. "Sorry ma'am, nothing we can do, the Feds made us do it." It's one of those "polite lies" that lets them get out of lengthy and embarassing discussions about their own poor decision making.

Yeah, well there are a few other things around Disneyland that the Feds actually have mandated, yet those are getting put on the back burner. So obviously the Walt Disney Company is not quite as concerned as they want to appear.

I mean, I guess I should give them some credit. After all, they did try to pin it on DOSH at first. It was only when that didn't stick that they had to find a new scapegoat.

AVP

TrekkieDad
02-12-2005, 10:34 PM
OK, the DW and I rode them tonight, and they spin, but not as wildly as I remember from years ago. Of course, we were both a lot younger and stronger then. We went on Roger Rabbit later tonight, and it seems to spin a bit faster than the teacups.

Stupid_American
02-13-2005, 07:06 AM
We went on Roger Rabbit later tonight, and it seems to spin a bit faster than the teacups.

Don't tell management!

Brian Noble
02-13-2005, 12:40 PM
If you find yourself in DLR, and want to spin, go to DCA, get on Francis, and put all the weight as close to the door as you can while still remaining safely seated.

(Thanks to the Francis CM who told my son and I how to get them a-spinnin'.)

I'm going to be at WDW next week; I'll get to do a compare-and-contrast.

HorizonsA
02-13-2005, 11:02 PM
Someone over at MiceChat got to ride the Tea Cups after the refurb on Thursday...

http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?p=14411#post14411 (http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?p=14411#post14411)

MAJOR BUMMER....:( :mad: :(

Just because an attraction goes down for a refurbishment, doesn't mean there will be any changes. You know, sometimes attractions just go down for maintenance, painting, and redecorating.

Darkbeer
02-13-2005, 11:43 PM
But there were strong rumors of them returning the spin during the refurb... I know there was no official announcement, but still, a lot of folks were hoping for the return....

But maybe the LA Times will do a follow up article on the matter :)

Disney Vault
02-14-2005, 06:05 PM
Did thye still add the brakes or was that a rumor too? I guess there is no need for the brake on each tea cup if you still can't spin them.

TrekkieDad
02-14-2005, 06:47 PM
Did thye still add the brakes or was that a rumor too? I guess there is no need for the brake on each tea cup if you still can't spin them.
You can spin them--just not wildly fast--which is the reason some people ride it in the first place.

stitchlvr
02-14-2005, 07:22 PM
You can spin them--just not wildly fast--which is the reason some people ride it in the first place.

Just tell me they are better than the last time I was on them. I pulled and pulled as hard as I could and only spun twice (slowly) the entire ride (and had cramps in my arms). This was shortly after they reopened last time and people were hoping they would loosen up. This used to be my daughter's favorite ride. I told her they may not be fixed yet and she said she would rather skip it then. I'll file another complaint at City Hall, but it doesn't seem as if that's helping.

marktips
02-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Maybe this is Disney's attempt to promote good health and exercise? All the news about America's obesity problem and all.. build up your arms and I bet those pounds will just melt off - and then you'll be spinning free!