PDA

View Full Version : Questions for AZ AP Holders

DangerMouse
02-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Ok all you Arizoniacs, I am trying to talk my dh into splurging on AP's for our family when we go in April, so that we can then go back in December (and maybe even one more time during the summer :D )

So here's some questions for you:

1. How often do you go to DL?

2. Where do you stay?

3. Do you ever find super cheap flights to avoid the 5 1/2 hr drive?

4. What kind of AP do you have?

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disney) into APs for us?

Thanks for answering.

disney jones
02-10-2005, 12:21 PM
1. How often do you go to DL? We bought the APs in June 3rd (our first time doing it), we've been 9 times so far usually multiday trips, (and i stopped in there by myself one other time in Anaheim during the day), and will go two more times before they expire - March and May.

2. Where do you stay? stayed at DLH 3 nights, stayed at GCH 3 nights, and we have a large conversion van we sleep in, that's probably another 20 nights. A lot of times, for a 3-day trip, we'd camp one night, the next night in DLH or GCH, then the third day head home after closing. We've never stayed at an off-site hotel, or with friends. "camping" certainly helps save $$$ as lodging is the most expensive item. Also we bring food too - sandwiches, breakfast bars, juice, sports drinks. With these two things, trips can be done very cheaply.

3. Do you ever find super cheap flights to avoid the 5 1/2 hr drive? no. if it was just myself, i'd think about it, but when you have 3 people, the cost, not to mention the convenince of having your own car can't be beat.

4. What kind of AP do you have? Deluxe. with my work schedule, we can easily get over there Wed night in time to see the firewroks, and come back late Friday night without worrying about block out days. i did eventually buy a PAP for myself though for the 10% price discounts on merchandise.

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disney) into APs for us? Two 2-day trips will pay for a Deluxe. that's all the justification one needs i think. anything more the APs are a bargain. but be warned, APs don't save you money - you just end up going more, and spending more when you're there! ;)

dgk2
02-10-2005, 12:42 PM

We typically go 3 times a year on multiple day trips (i.e., 3-5 days).

2. Where do you stay?

Typically we stay at Hojo's (reasonable prices year-round, and just a great hotel), but as of late we've become big fans of the Coast Anaheim Hotel (great hotel, but be sure to get a "fireworks-view" room... really good diner downstairs with good prices, and you can usually get a good rate there).

We will no longer drive to Anaheim. Our last trip we took a Southwest flight, and within 3 hours of leaving our house we were at Disneyland. You just cannot beat the convenince. Sure taking the car will save you money... but after the 10th time of contending with California freeway traffic I had enough. When we go to Disneyland we go for the park, and there's really not much of a need for our car when we are there.

4. What kind of AP do you have? Deluxe.

This year we have 2 Premiums (for my wife and myself) and 2 Deluxes for the kids we really have not run into any problems with that... I think we had to pay one blackout day last year for the kids. But we find the Premium discounts for food and merchandise to be worth the extra cost. However, Deluxes are fine... last year my wife had a Deluxe and I had a Premium, but this year we decided that due to my work schedule it might be advantageous for her to have the Premium in case she ever wanted to take the kids when I could not go.

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disney) into APs for us? Two 2-day trips will pay for a Deluxe. that's all the justification one needs i think.

You've just answered your own question... If you plan on going to Disneyland more than once a year... even just 2 two-day trips, then AP's are a no brainer since you would be almost paying the same amount for Hopper tickets and you get discounts on food to boot.

Yancy

mystycalchyk
02-10-2005, 12:54 PM
Flagstaff chiming in here.....

1. How often do you go to DL? We normally go once a year, this year is special we get to go thrice... :D

2. Where do you stay? We stay usually at the Carousel, or the Tropicana. This last New Years we stayed at Extended Stay (for the benefit of a full kitchen) and next time we are trying out Park Inn & Suites. (with the exception of Extended Stay they are all walking distance, since we normally fly)

3. Do you ever find super cheap flights to avoid the 5 1/2 hr drive? We usually watch for specials on Southworst and fly directly to Orange County generally for $25 per person one way....the most we've ever paid was $39 :). Although flying seems the easy route, for us it's not that huge of a time saver. Drive from our place way on the east end of Flag, to airport 2 1/2 hours...flying southworst and getting there 2 hours early for the cattle call to make sure 6'3" hubby gets the bulkhead seats and we're up to 4 hours. Flight = 45 mins, getting luggage and a cab and getting to the hotel another hour easy. So we are up to 5.45 at least already. *shrugs*

But if you live in Phoenix and getting to the airport is a breeze, yeah I'd never even consider driving. :)

4. What kind of AP do you have? Premium AP (no blocked days) Since for us, having the weekends and holidays blocked are not an option...Those are the only times we can go.

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disney) into APs for us? It saves us money. The one time a year we go we are usually there for 10 days or so...but it pays for itself within 6 days. What with all the discounts, free parking (if you drive) and cost of passes if you do get to go more than once (Like us this year...we are going to be there for May 5th and July 17, plus our annual Christmas/New Years Pilgrimage) Saving money is always a huge thing :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-10-2005, 01:33 PM
I only live in AZ part time, we actually live in Idaho, but I am going to answer anyway because we are even further from DL than you are in AZ.

2-3 times a year (6 days a trip)

2. Where do you stay? Howard Johnson's

3. Do you ever find super cheap flights to avoid the 5 1/2 hr drive? we actually are going to DL from AZ in March and although we can fly for free, we are thinking of driving so we don't have to mess with all the child gear and shuttles etc.

4. What kind of AP do you have? Deluxe

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disney) into APs for us?
Show him the value, how much it actually would be per day when you buy the AP

Diamondbacker
02-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Payson,AZ here--Just got Deluxe AP's for a 5 day trip in Dec '04 for me, wife and 3y/o ( stayed at ParkPlace Inn-was nice)because we where also planning on going for 5-7 days in Nov '05 also. Now my 3 y/o son and I just got back from a quick weekend trip- drove 7 hrs from Payson- stayed at Del Sol for 44/nite-(ok for just 1 night). Am now planning a mid May trip for me and my son and I am planning on flying because that last trip was way too long for me and a 3 y/old (probably stay at HoJo), also a mid June trip for just me and my wife, a trip in Sept for all of us, and still a week long trip in Nov for my wife and I and hopefully staying at GCH. So as you can see the dark side of having an AP is that you find that you are always planning your next trip to Disneyland- even if you live in Arizona!!

VickiC
02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
I've done the trip to Payson in reverse quite a few times times with kids under 5 and it can be hellish, but for us we need our own car since my parents, who live there) can't accomodate themselves plus us and our car seats in their little cars.

MMStyle
02-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Hello from Glendale Az.

1. How often do you go to DL? We average a trip about every six weeks. Mostly 3 day 2 nights. A few longer ones during the summer.

2. Where do you stay? I absolutely love the Coast Anaheim. Super clean. Lots of thick towels. Park view rooms with balcony available upon request and given out to those who arrive earliest. Very easy walk to the park if neccesary.

3. Do you ever find super cheap flights to avoid the 5 1/2 hr drive? It is my husband, myself, my daughter and 2 nieces, so the cost of a flight would be prohibitive. We definately have a travel plan since we go so often. We bring a cooler and a microwave. Lunch in Indio pre-packed. Always pre-packed breakfast in the hotel. Lunch at Blue Bayou at least once (you can share plates and it is plenty of food and it is more inexpensive to eat this way than at most other places in the park + free drink refills). One or two meals prepared in the hotel room. A few snacks packed in with us to eat at the park. That way more money for antenna balls and churros!!

4. What kind of AP do you have? We all have premium passes. We can go ANYTIME!!, of course park in the garage for free and the discounts that go with the passes.

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disney) into APs for us? Lucky for me my husband is as crazy about Disney as I am. If you go more than a day or two a year some type of pass will save you money.
Good luck to you...my annual pass is one of my most treasured possesions.

Diamondbacker
02-11-2005, 06:07 AM
I've done the trip to Payson in reverse quite a few times times with kids under 5 and it can be hellish, but for us we need our own car since my parents, who live there) can't accomodate themselves plus us and our car seats in their little cars.

And especially those convoys of trucks on I-10 can be horrible-seems like they try to block you in and you can never get out!

Alex S.
02-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Well, apparently Oakland is 30 minutes farther away than Phoenix (never really thought about that) so I'll answer too.

Ok all you Arizoniacs, I am trying to talk my dh into splurging on AP's for our family when we go in April, so that we can then go back in December (and maybe even one more time during the summer :D )

So here's some questions for you:

1. How often do you go to DL? 10-15 times a year. Usually for 24-36 hours. Usually working trips.

2. Where do you stay? Generally wherever is cheapest, but we prefer the Best Western right across harbor. Not the best hotel in the area, but the closest.

No. In five years of doing this, we've only flown down once and I can't remember why we did.

4. What kind of AP do you have?
Premium.

There is really only one reason for buying APs: Because the likely use over the course of a year will make it cost effective. If you can't make that case then you probably can't convince him ("but it'll make it easier to talk you into more trips so that it will be cost effective" probably won't work).

pokeypoke
02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
1. How often do you go? Anywhere from 2 - 4 times a year with an average stay of 5 days. There have been many occasions in the past where we (my partner and I) have gone for just 1 day (take first flight out, last flight back and save hotel cost).

2. Where do you stay? Depends on our money situation at the time, At least once a year, we try to get an off-season AP discount at one of the on property resorts. If we are on a budget, HoJo's is the place. The Candy Cane Inn is also a favorite of ours. And like I said, there are a few times we take the first flight out, arrive when the park opens and take the last flight back to PHX. We get to spend the day at DL, save on the hotel, and are back home in our own bed that night.

3. Do you ever find super cheap flights to avoid the 5 1/2 hour drive? Southwest has the cheapest. Sometimes freinds can get us buddy passes through America West. At least once a year, we drive. With 2 people who can take turns driving, it's not bad. There have been a few times when the time span of getting to the airport, finding a parking place, getting checked in, flight time, waiting on shuttle van and arriving at hotel has taken us more than 5 1/2 hours.

4. What kind of AP do you have? We've had both the PAP and the DAP. We currently have the PAP.

5. Do you have any advice on how to talk my dh (who isn't all that crazy about Disneyland) into AP's for us? If he's not that crazy about DL, he'll never be! How ever, you could suggest getting one for everyone else (exept for him) and while you guys are playing in the park, he could catch up on R&R at the hotel, catch a ball game, go to a nearby coarse and play a game of golf or something else of interest that he enjoys. Or the other alternative is to inform him that there are frozen dinners that can be heated in the microwave, give him a kiss and tell him you'll be back in a few days... you're going to DISNEYLAND!

Pokey

PsychDoc
02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
We live in Las Vegas. If my husband drives and drops us off (on his way to Mexico) it takes it less than 3 hours (he's crazy). When I drive with the kids alone it takes 4 hours. I have a Premium pass so I could get all the discounts. My 11 year old has a Delux. My 2 year old (thank God, doesn't need a pass yet). I've had to pay the block-out day fee of $30, once or twice for my daughter. We go at least 4-5 times a year for 3-5 days at at time. Usually we stay at the Paradise Pier. There's often AP days there for 79$ a night. I have a pretty flex schedule, so I can go during the week. The only issue is my 11 year old's school schedule. I've stayed at the Carosel Inn once as it was a "cheap" last minute trip. Not bad. Very close. I prefer to stay on property, although it really is much further away. I just love to eat, sleep, and breathe DL and Mickey. It really is worth the price of the pass. After the first trip, it pretty much "paid" for itself with discounts and not having to pay for admission. I was also able to get a friend a half off ticket during one trip. I do wonder if I'd go as much if I didn't have a pass. But, I really don't think so. I bought my first pass on Mother's day (a present for myself). The year before we went 3-4 times and paid entry fees each time.

leota's necklace
02-12-2005, 04:52 PM
A PAP Chiming in from Tucson...

...I usually end up going three or four times a year for long weekends, with at least one trip during the Xmas season and one around my birthday in August. The drive is just long enough to be a bummer so I prefer to fly, even though I hate Southwest. I figure I can suffer for a few hours and save myself the exhaustion from the eight hours in the car. I like staying at the Coast; though if I can get it I really prefer to get rooms on property with an AP discount. I find I'm much less cranky about leaving the Park if I'm staying onsite. :)

Really, if you go for more than a few days or more than once a year, the pass pays for itself and the discounts on food and merchandise are an incredible perk. Plus it's a liberating feeling knowing you can just pack up and go whenever you like. If the hubby is a practical person, draw up how much several trips a year would cost with and without the pass and let the results speak for themselves.