PDA

View Full Version : December DLR trip!

Pages : [1] 2

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Woo hoo!!! I am so excited!!! I can hardly wait and it is months and months away!
My brother and I have planned an outline of a trip to DLR in Dec. from the 3-9. I have already made reservations at Howard Johnsons after reading so many wonderful things about it on this site.
I just have a few questions please!! And thank you!!

1: I planned the dates based on reading reviews here (after thanksgiving/prior to school vacations). Can anyone tell me if the Christmas Parades/activities will be happening then?? I hope so or want to reschedule to a later date!!
2: His daughter and grandson and my daughter and grandchild will probably come for part of the trip. Since we will need to utilize the child swap ride pass system (?) can anyone give me any information on this and how it works?? Does one person wait in line and ask for the pass at the front of the line from a CM?? I think I saw a CM with passes on BTMRR, little green pieces of paper. She was standing outside the que to the ride.
3: Last one for now....I promise!! ;) I tried to look on the calender for the resort to find out what kind of hours the park will be operating but could only find hours until May of 05. Does anyone have any idea the hours the park will be open then? By planning our trip on the weekend first I figure we should be able to see any special events, then maybe slow down during the week, does this sound logical?
Thank you everyone!!!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!!!! :fez:

Surfingstitch
02-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Wow.

Super good questions.

1. Christmas parade starts usually the friday before Thanksgiving I believe.
2. Never had a child to swap, can't help you here.
3. That would be good info for me to use too. Anyone have a guess?

Raven
02-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Oh Shortiemetoo, I am so glad I am not the only one who is excited about a trip in December! I will be there from the 8th to the 11th. I think the best time to go is in December because I LOVE the holiday decorations. (Lack of crowds is good too).

When I was there last year about the same time, there were the holiday parades and decorations with "snow" and all. If I remember correctly, the hours were later on the weekend.

At any rate, have a great time and I am just excited as you are! :)

MrsG
02-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Great time of year to go! Good choice! All the holiday festivities should be up and running during those dates. The weekend hours will most likely be late (DL-midnight, DCA-9 or 10). Weekday hours if I remember correctly might be DL-10, DCA 8 or 9. Can't help you on the kid switch thing. Check out the Parenting in the Park forum - they are very helpful. :) Hope you have a wonderful time!

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Wow, cool surfingstitch...thank you for the quick answers...I am happy about the parade...that is cool...really want to see it...
Hope we get answers to the rest!! :D

My2kidsrule
02-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Last year, weekday hours had DCA closing at 6 through Thursday, 8 on Friday and 9 on Saturday. DL closed later than DCA each day, and the snow was SO worth it. have fun!

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Wow!!! Thank you Raven, Mrs. G, and my2kidsrule!!! Great news!!! Thank you for the speedy reviews!!!! I am so jazzed!!!! :D

tlovesdis
02-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Dec 3-4 will probably be the Candlelight Processional so expect huge crowds! We were there this past December and it was pretty crazy!

Also, the Monday & Tuesday following the CP Disneyland closed at 6pm for holiday parties so expect that as well.

The dates could be different but CP is usually the first Sat & Sun in December.

Monte Cristo
02-09-2005, 09:21 AM
Also, the Monday & Tuesday following the CP Disneyland closed at 6pm for holiday parties so expect that as well.

You know, I think in the past that was true but if I'm not mistaken this past year the CM parties took place the week of Dec. 10th.

I remember being annoyed about it because originally I wanted to go the Monday following Thanksgiving but didn't just to avoid the CM parties.

tlovesdis
02-09-2005, 09:42 AM
You know, I think in the past that was true but if I'm not mistaken this past year the CM parties took place the week of Dec. 10th.

I remember being annoyed about it because originally I wanted to go the Monday following Thanksgiving but didn't just to avoid the CM parties.

I was there December 4-8. The CP was Saturday the 4th and Sunday the 5th. Disneyland closed at 6pm on Monday the 6th and Tuesday the 7th.

Surfingstitch
02-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I am not coming for that fiasco of CP again.

Way too many people standing shoulder to shoulder. Plus it felt like we were cattle being herded by CM's.

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 10:00 AM
O.k., now I have ANOTHER question....sorry :(
I have seen pictures of the Candlelight Pros. in the past...but since I have never been there during the holidays have never experienced this.
Can you tell me about the priority seating if you eat at certain restaurants? Is this something that anyone can watch??? If not do they close off main street during this except to people who eat at the certain restaurants?
Sorry...but I didn't pay too much attention in Nov when I joined since I didn't think I would be able to go during the holiday season!!
Thanks again...you are all so awesome!!! (And I feel so far behind ;) )

tlovesdis
02-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I am not coming for that fiasco of CP again.

Way too many people standing shoulder to shoulder. Plus it felt like we were cattle being herded by CM's.

I'm with ya! Plus it was cold and raining!

Surfingstitch
02-09-2005, 10:14 AM
The fifth way okay because the parks were pretty empty with close to no waits.

As far as dining. Last year they offered seating at CP for those who paid to eat dinner at certain places. The meals were between $40 - $75 per person, children included.

If you didn't do the seating, you had to stand behind the ropes. CP was held on the steps leading up to main street station and below.

PS. sorry I missed you tlovedis!!!

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Thank you tlovesdis and surfingstitch!! Not sure if we will do the dinner first, my brother is on a tight budget but insists on paying his own way by himself. Thanks again!

Surfingstitch
02-09-2005, 10:44 AM
I suggest you don't do CP unless you like big crowds of people.

Surfingstitch
02-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Here is the link for CP from last year.

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=34707&page=2&pp=25&highlight=candlelight+procession

disney jones
02-09-2005, 10:54 AM
1. Holiday decorations started going up Nov 5. The Christmas Parade started Nov. 19. CP was Dec 4-5 (first weekend in Dec).
2. yes, CMs in the front of the line have them.
3. During December they had fireworks on Friday Dec 10th - so it was open at least till then - that was when we went and it was a good choice - park was opened late, and it was a weekday. The 2nd weekend of December will be the lightest attended due to no CP and its before the Christmas vacation season starts. I think the week before Chriostmas its open late each evening.
I also went Dec 22/23 - it was much busier. I would always go again the second week of December if i had a choice.

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Wow thank you DisneyJones and surfing stitch!! I may need to rethink and go the second week after all of your replies. Sounds like it may be a more sane time to visit. Thank you..and surfingstitch thank you for the link to the CP!!
Bye the way disneyjones...the pics from the recent trip with your daughters are darling!! They are sweethearts!!!

rentayenta
02-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Shortiee, you've got a PM ;)

IMHO, any time in December is awesome. The crowds don't bother me in the slightest :D I am excited for our Dec. trip too (the 16-22).

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
02-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Dec 3-4 will probably be the Candlelight Processional so expect huge crowds! We were there this past December and it was pretty crazy!

The dates could be different but CP is usually the first Sat & Sun in December.

Tina is right, the cast member parties are normally the second full week in December so the parks will close earlier. However, as there are smaller crowds, the shorter hours don't seem to really make much of a difference, and it gives you time to explore DTD.

We always go sometime around the 5th of December for 3-4 days, even with CP it's not totally unbearable. All of the holiday events are in full swing, including nightly fireworks.

stinkerbell
02-09-2005, 04:34 PM
We are planning to be there around the same time, shortie! Our goals are: avoid the CM party, Candlelight Proc., and somehow be there on my daughter's fifth bday on December 13th.

I've been there in early December (first week) before and it was great! No crowds, all the holiday goodies (parades, shows, HMH, Holiday Believe), and it's just incredible!

Everyone else answered everything fully....I just wanted to add a little about the child switch pass.

The following rides have them (or at least these are the ones I've used them on): Matterhorn, Indy, Splash, HM, BTMRR, Autopia. Any line that is fairly long that has any kind of height requirement or age requirement and then HM. Same is true at DCA.

The CM nearest the ride entrance should have a stack of switch passes, sometimes they don't and they ask you to get one from another CM nearer to the front of the line. The pass is good for two people. So if you go on a ride with your six year old, and your spouse stays with the baby, your spouse can use the pass and take you six year old back on the ride with him or her. It's pretty cool! If you combine it with fastpasses, your older child (or another adult) can get some serious ride time! :)

Example: You have two adults and two kids who can't ride Indy and one who can. The non-riding adult grabs five fastpasses, and you grab a switch pass when you get in line with your older child. When you get off the ride, you still have a two-person ride on Indy (the switch pass), plus the five fastpasses. We spend several mornings of every trip just riding Indy again and again and never stand in a line.

Now that our youngest is tall enough for everything at DL, except Indy, we don't have to do this as much.....but it used to come in really handy when she wasn't tall enough for so many of our older two children's favorite rides.

Have fun planning!! :)

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Wow, thank you stinkerbell for all that great information. I am not sure yet if the girls will be able to come with the babies, but wanted the information in case!!! Sounds like your trip this December will be awesome, and celebrating a birthday too!!! Your girls are so adorable...I love the picture you have of them on your posts!!!
Thank you Walts Birthday girl! The shorter hours wont bother me at all if we end up there during the CM parties. Too much other stuff to do!!! I didn't really get to see DTD except for ESPN zone and Build a Bear!!
Rentayenta...I will try to figure out how to get my PM...lol Boy I want to change the dates just so I can meet you, but I think I will enjoy it with the smaller crowds....I am just so excited to go during the holidays after your trip report this year!!! You inspired me!!!
Thank you one and all for the great information and the quick replies!! :D

sediment
02-09-2005, 06:33 PM
During that week, the Cast Member parties (two of them) are likely to be held. On those two nights, DL (and DCA) will close at about 6PM. The rest of the week will likely be 6 for DCA, 8 for DL. The weekend will likely be 8 for DCA, 10 for DL.
It's a little early to be planning that detailed, though. IMO.

Regarding parent/child swap: nearly all of the bigger rides have "instant FastPass" type passes for child swapping. Again, a bit early to be worrying about all this. You'll be able to do all if DL in one day, and all of DCA in a half-day. Not like you'll miss anything with six days, so if someone doesn't ride Space Mountain within five minutes of the rest of the party, no biggie.

pisces
02-09-2005, 08:40 PM
"IMHO, any time in December is awesome. The crowds don't bother me in the slightest I am excited for our Dec. trip too (the 16-22)."----Yenta

I don't think I can even talk about what the month of December means to me without becoming emotional. Every single day of last December was a great day for me.

My troubles didn't start until January. :(

We have to think of a way to make the time speed up.

Did the Candlelight Procession even go on in the rain? Has it ever been cancelled for bad weather? Or, is that just one of those things that goes on no matter what.

Also, do we really know what they are going to do for Christmas, being that the 50th overlaps? Wasn't someone saying a while back that there wouldn't be a Christmas Parade??? .....Which I think is just awful.

I do not want the 50th to pre-empt all their Christmas stuff.

The normal Christmas stuff is far more important to me than the 50th.

In every life, there ought to be one perfect month, and December is it, for
me.

Christmas means the world to me.

http://www.christmas.com/pe/56