PDA

View Full Version : Positive reports of the DLH! Pretty Please!

Pages : [1] 2

Family5LovesDisney
02-09-2005, 03:42 AM
Okay, I have read the posted reviews on the DLH here at this site and other sites too. I have read different threads about it vs. HoJo too. But it's too late for me! I have already purchased my package which includes four nights at the DLH. I am starting to feel sad that I booked there and that maybe I should have done the HoJo instead. But Disney has my money now! :) So if you could share one or two positive things at the DLH, it would greatly cheer me up! I am so looking forward to this trip next month! THANK YOU!

02-09-2005, 04:48 AM
A lot of it depends on how often you visit the Disneyland Resort. Many of the posters here go often. In that case, it makes sense to stay off-property.

To state the obvious, money means different things to different people. The posters here are all ages, all life stages, all situations. Some have serious budget considerations, others have none at all.

For myself, I go once in a blue moon. My constraint is not my budget but my husband the Disney muggle (He just doesn't get the magic.) I dragged him to Disneyland in '98 and we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. It was a real occasion for me and the girls and we loved our accommodations. I took the girls this past October, leaving my husband at home. This time, we stayed at the Grand Californian. That was a real occasion, too. Again, we loved our accommodations.

Both times, the hotel was a big part of our enjoyment of the resort. We made it a point to get to Disneyland at rope drop, stay through lunch, go back to the hotel in the afternoon and swim, then return to the park for dinner and the evening. So we did spend some time at the hotel. It was not just a place to sleep. For those who like to go all day, the hotel wouldn't be as important.

My .02.

Family5LovesDisney
02-09-2005, 04:56 AM
A lot of it depends on how often you visit the Disneyland Resort. Many of the posters here go often. In that case, it makes sense to stay off-property.

This will be our first visit and we will be going into the Park each day that we are there! We have three children and my parents will be with us too. We have always enjoyed staying on property at WDW because we hate Highway 92 and all the nasty tourist traps and traffic outside of the Disney property. My husband loved the idea of not having to drive to the park each day through city traffic and just being able to walk there. He is a NUT for Disney Magic. I think even more then me and the boys! So I am hoping that he, out of all the people going there next month, will not be disappointed with the DLH!

Tutter
02-09-2005, 05:57 AM
The advantage of staying at any Disney accomodation at any Disney resort is the fact the magic stays with you the whole time.

The sheer excitement of still seeing the Mickey heads on bars of soap, the fact that every single shop is Disney merchandise is absolute heaven of total emmersion I always think.

If you've booked it - don't have any regrets - you will love it.

The best thing is the fact that the Disneyland Hotel is so close (despite what people say) that it is definately worth going back at some point during the day for a swim and some time there - then back out again to the parks in the evening.

lisap
02-09-2005, 06:01 AM
Okay, I have read the posted reviews on the DLH here at this site and other sites too. I have read different threads about it vs. HoJo too.

There is no comparison between HoJos and the DLH to me. HoJos is just fine for a budget hotel, but I would never choose it over staying at a resort property--and that goes for the PPH as well. Since you have already paid for your package, cost is a moot point, so go and enjoy it! I hope you have a room in the Sierra Tower facing DTD--that's my favorite view. :) I know you will not be disappointed--have a great trip.

ftroop6
02-09-2005, 06:07 AM
We stayed off property twice. We won't do it again. We really like both the DLH and the GC. Staying on property keeps the magic of the trip the whole time. The pool area is really great. Be sure to walk around the falls. Have a great trip!

Shortiemetoo
02-09-2005, 06:53 AM
I stayed at the DLH one time and loved it!! After that due to financial concerns most of my trips were family trips, with daughter, neice and of course one of their friends each. Cost wise it was prohibitive to me to stay on site, or I would have.
Now even though I could afford to stay on site I don't have kiddlins to bring with me...that is when I think being on site makes the biggest difference!
Have a wonderful vacation!!! Full of Disney magic!!! :D

disney jones
02-09-2005, 06:58 AM
No worries about DLH!! If i had unlimited money, i'd stay there every trip (maybe throw in a stay to the GCH evry now or then)

Enjoy the pool, waterfalls, and the grounds, especially the convenience!! You and your family will have fun, i'm sure!

dsny1mom
02-09-2005, 08:29 AM
The positives of staying at the DLH..hmmm...let's see........

1) No going outside the property to be brought back from the magic.

2) No need to drive or wait for a bus or trolly or whatever they call those things that take people to the motels and hotels off property. You come and go as you please when you please.

3) Vacation Planning can arrange all of your priority seatings for meals. They can have all sorts of special treats delivered to your room.

4) The rooms at DLH ooze Disney.

5) The grounds are not only beautifull but offer lots of little fun things to see and do.

6) The Neverland pool is just simply awesome.

We have stayed at the DLH exclusively for the past 18 years. We tried GCH and PP but moved over to the DLH once we got there. As a child I stayed at Candy Cane, Jolly Rodger, Travel Lodge, HoJo, Little Boy Blue, Hedi and probably others that are now long gone.

So much of where one stays is just personal choice. We stay for 2 weeks at the DLH with conceirge. For what we spend for our one trip a year we could make multiple trips every year if we stayed off site, ate off site, etc. But for us it wouldn't be worth it to stay at HoJo or any of the other properties or eat at Mimis or McDonalds.

So much vacation spending is based what your standards are and how you wish to spend your money. Just like in other areas of ones life it's in the perception of value for your dollar. I will only buy OPI nail polish, other people swear by Salley Hanson. I only fly United, other people swear by SouthWest.

There isn't an overall right or wrong in any of this. It all depends on what you want for you and yours. But for me and mine we'd stay home and save up to stay at the DLH before we'd stay anywhere else or have to eat anywhere else. We want the whole enchalada when we go to DLR, not just the parks.

One last comment....... When I was child I'd *beg* my parents to stay at the DLH even if for just one night, but they never would. We'd stay for 4 weeks when we went to DL. They felt it was a waste of money to stay there (we only used our room to sleep, we'd have more money to spend for souvieners and snacks and meals, yada.yada.yada.) hence my staying at so many motels when I was a child. But through the eyes of a child (or atleast MY eyes) staying at the DLH would have been the most special thing I could have done. I bet there are plenty of other children that felt/feel the same way. My children have never stayed anywhere other than the DLH so they'll never have to yearn for the experience of whole enchalda. :)

dsny1mom

MrsG
02-09-2005, 08:32 AM
We've only stayed off property when forced to. You will not be disappointed in DLH! It would always be my first choice - the pool, a relaxing drink at the Lost Bar, dinner at Hook's Pointe, DL just a short Monorail trip over. I only live a half hour away from DLR and hubby and I still stay at DLH for one night every once in a while just for a nice get away. Don't even think about regrets for booking DLH!

Family5LovesDisney
02-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Okay, I feel much better now! Thank you all for "patting me on the back" so to speak! This will be our FIRST EVER trip to Disneyland and we wanted it to be lots of fun!

On a side note...........

Lots of people mention the Sierra Tower. How do you request this?? When you check in or before you go?

Also, does anyone know if they have coffee makers in the room?

Surfingstitch
02-09-2005, 08:36 AM
I agree also.

I would stay on property if I could afford it.

I have to stay accross the street due to budget. However it does allow for more funds to spend on stuff. :P

disney jones
02-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Lots of people mention the Sierra Tower. How do you request this?? When you check in or before you go?

Also, does anyone know if they have coffee makers in the room?

you can request before you go and should, but i've also gotten it right when checking in.

the only benefits of the Sierra are its closest to the Monorail, DTD and the Disney front gate, plus you are guaranteed a view of either the pool area of DTD without having to pay extra.

if you want the most "magic", stay in the Marina Tower - it's the main one with the lobby and gift shop.

if you want the quietest and a bit more of a retreat from the hubbub, the Bonita is best. Plus the Bonita offers some choice self-parking spots if frequent trips to your car is a concern.

and i don't think there were coffee makers in the rooms -ask about it when making your tower request, you may be able to get one without an extra charge.

80S ERA
02-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Positive comments....

I've stayed at all (3) on-site properties and I'd have to say that DH has the best value of the three (assuming all 3 were the rack rate). You might want to consider a concierge upgrade -- definetly a must at least once in your lifetime.

The Sierra tower has great views on high floors on both sides of the tower. In the Bonita and Marina, some lower value rooms have a view of cars in the parking lot.

My2kidsrule
02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
I grew up in SoCal and had my prom at DLH, but I had never stayed there until 2003 with my kids. In my mind, the hotel made the trip complete. I've stayed off-property, too, and to me, the magic (and a well-appointed place to stay with great service and shortbread cookies) is worth the money as a once in a while thing. Not every time, but it HAS to be done at least once.

You'll love it. I walled around with a smile on my face for four days.

Monte Cristo
02-09-2005, 09:28 AM

The surefire way to get a room at the Sierra is to request a "DTD" view. It's the only building that has it.

Also, you stated "Disney already has my money" - their policy is you can cancel anytime up to 72 hours prior to check in with no penalties.

One more note: I'm one of those who has been displeased by the DLH, but PLEASE don't let anyone else's comments worry you. You're going to Disneyland, THAT is what will make for a great trip. The DLH, even if you're not thrilled, will NOT be a detriment. In fact, if it's your first time I would bet you'll love simply being immersed in the Disney experience 24/7.

Go and have a great time - it's DISNEYLAND. No worries.

dsny1mom
02-09-2005, 09:30 AM
As DJones has said you should request a specific tower at ressie time and at check in.

Did you say you booked a package? If you did, whomever you booked through should make the request for you asap. Also sometimes packages have specific rooms blocked for those guests and those are the only rooms you can be placed in. You might want to check with your booking agent to see if that is the case in your situation.

The savy guest will alway arrive WAY before (like in the am) check in time (3pm) to make sure they are one of the first with a special request on their arrival day. Special requests on the arrival day are first come first serve. None of the DLR hotels will guarentee you your request until you are at the front desk and they have an opening at that moment. Just so you know Sierra is the most requested tower. Alot depends on when you will be there too. If you're trip is during offf season you're chances of getting your request are MUCH better than if you go in the summer of during the holidays. Although since you have a family of 5 (assumption due to your s/n) the chances are you will be given a room with 2 queen beds and a day bed, and that is the largest and nicest of all the regular room configurations.

I don't agree with Djones when he says Marina is the tower with the most magic. It is further away from the monrail and park (and at midnight after a day in the parks even a few extra steps saved are appreciateded and add to the magic), it isn't the tower you see from the park (you know like when you are walking throuhg DTD you kids won't be able to point to the tower and say *hey that's our room!* an addition to the magic), your view can less than desireable from that tower, and seeing as it is the main tower with the front desk and gift shops you always have to deal with a crowd or people sitting around and *gasp* walking through there in beach attire or with wet kids coming from the pool isn't really something I like to deal with. Plus if you do upgrade to concierge Sierra is where the lounge is and that is best place for a conceirge guest.

I'm not sure if coffie makers are in all the rooms, but I do know they have them because they are included in conceirge rooms.

Hope this helps

dsny1mom

tlovesdis
02-09-2005, 09:49 AM
I love the Disneyland Hotel and would stay there over and over again, but let me tell you a little bit about my experience this past December just so you know how things happen sometimes!

I booked a package through Walt Disney Travel Co. I booked the "resort/pool view" room. I made a request through Vacation Planning 30 days prior to our trip for a room facing Downtown Disney in the Sierra Tower. We arrived at the hotel Saturday morning at 8:30am. I went to check in and told the person helping me that I had requested DTD view in the Sierra Tower. She said I could not have DTD view becasue my package was for a "resort/pool view" room. I said, well isn't DTD the resort view and she said no! That means a view of the hotel, not downtown disney. Ok, so I was a little peeved, but whatever. So then she said I could have that view for $45 more a night. I passed because we were already spending a small fortune staying there. So then she said she could put us in the Sierra Tower, but the room wasn't ready. That's fine. So we left our luggage and went to Disneyland. When we came back at 3:30 to get our room, it took almost an hour. I'm not sure what heppened, but she couldn't find us a room? Finally she found one and we were on our way.

Sorry about the long story, my point is if you want the Sierra Tower with a view of Downtown Disney, make sure that is what you are paying for.

Like I said above, I would still stay there. The hotel is magical, it's just that sometimes, no matter who you talk to or how often, you don't always get what you want!

Susan L
02-09-2005, 10:31 AM
If you have little ones this is a great hotel to stay at. It is also very close to the Monorail Station a big plus. The grounds of the hotel property are very nice and fun to walk around. The Neverland Pool is very cool, especially when it is not crowded.

Since you don't want the negative comments I won't share them with you, just be aware you might not get what you want out of this hotel but, then again you might.

sierranevada
02-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Having stayed at all three Disney hotels I have to say that you can not go wrong at the DLH!! It is my favorite! From the moment you pull up and see the Mickey and Minnie topiaries, you will feel immersed in the magic!! If you do have 5 in your party as was assumed in an earlier post, you should get the slightly larger room configuration which I believe are mostly in the Sierra Tower. I would put in a request either directly with the hotel for the Sierra Tower. And don't forget to leave your curtains open during the day so that the pixie dust will glow at night!!

As far as coffee makers - they are not in the rooms but you should have no problems getting one sent to you - we do it every time! Personally, I think you made the right decision to stay at the DLH!! Enjoy!!

rentayenta
02-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I could not have said it better than dsny1mom's post so I won't even try :D

Emma
02-09-2005, 11:55 AM
When you stay at the Disneyland Hotel the magic never ends.

It is so completely awesome. I love everything about it. Goofy in the lobby, Mickey wake up calls, Mickey mouse soap and shampoo, the pool area.

To me, there's no comparison. It's the absolute best.

lbrackjo
02-09-2005, 12:15 PM
As others have said, have your booking agent make your request for whichever tower you'd like and for what bed configuration you'd like and for smoking or non-smoking. Then, two days before your arrival call the front desk directly (the number can be found on the disneyland.com website) call around 10 am pacific and very delightfully say you just want to check that your preferences are in the system. Mention it is your first trip and how happy and excited your family is and how this is oh so special--cheerfulness helps in my opinion. The front desk folks figure the room arrangemnts a day or two in advance so this should give you your best shot.

dlfanshl
02-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Please believe me that you have made the right decision. We have stayed both on-site and off-site in the past 12 years. This year is the 50th Anniversary as well as my dh 50th b-day. We asked the kids off-site and a cruise or on-site in a suite. It was unanimous that we will spend our vacation at DLH in a 2 Bedroom Suite. You will have a great time and remember our vacation is what we make it.

Shel

dlandnut
02-09-2005, 12:55 PM
We have stayed at the DLH on numerous occasions. We have stayed at the GC twice, which was wonderful. However, overall, the DLH is the funnest for the whole "magical" experience. You will love the rooms, the wallpaper, fixtures, soap, shampoos, bedspreads, Disney channel, balcony with a view, and the wonderful ambience that comes with staying at a resort property. You'll only have a short walk to the Monorail, again a big plus. Enjoy your vacation. You deserve it! :)