PDA

View Full Version : DLH or Off site

Pages : [1] 2

smuie
02-08-2005, 09:37 AM
GC is out of my league at $355-$550 per night. It was listed at $265 on Expedia, etc. but now is only available on one night of my stay. Likewise, Paradise Pier is sold out. Disneyland Hotel seems to be my best bet for a resort hotel. However, I read on here that it is not a convenient location. How inconvenient is it? Am I better off staying off-site for less money and enduring a shuttle ride? I am traveling with a toddler who will require a nap. Please share your thoughts. I appreciate it -- it is our first trip to DL; we have been to WDW 3 times.
Thanks!

80S ERA
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
I have stayed at all of the on-property hotels (GCH, DLH, PPH) + 2 offsite hotels (Hilton and Hilton Suites).

If the pricetag is under $200 for either the GCH or DLH, I'd chose one of them. Otherwise, we were pleasantly surprised at the value of the Hilton Suites. They have a non-shared shuttle, large rooms with a separate sitting area, and were under $100/night everytime we stayed there.

I would not touch the Hilton on Katella with a 10-foot pole.

CoasterChickie
02-08-2005, 01:27 PM
I've stayed off site many times with my kids when they were little and now that they're older. The shuttles are very prompt and no problem at all to take as long as you know where to catch the one for your hotel.

Most of the time, the shuttle service is free. But a few of the hotels charge a fee because they use the public shuttles that go other places besides DL.

Terri
02-08-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't know why people see it as an inconvienent hotel...I guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels in the area - the best being Howard Johnson's (of the ones I've been to!), but I've always wanted to stay at DLH. If you enjoy walking through downtown disney, if you want a themed hotel area and if want the disney immersion...I'd suggest the DLH. (we're staying there in May - finally!). If you're not looking for these things...if you want to turn left and cross Harbor Blvd instead of taking in DTD after you leave the park, then...by all means stay at a neighboring hotel. It will save you money...

But I always do a package deal now...since I live 4000 miles away, but when I lived in Anaheim (30 years) I dreamed of staying at DLH. We always would go over there to hang out when I was a teenager...so...again...it's a flip of the coin as to what experience you're looking for.

You've got to take hotel reviews (especially those concerning the resort hotels) with a grain of salt. There are some things that may or may not matter to you, may be out of the hotel staff's control or simply be a personal concern of someone elses.

The walk from the hotel to the park is no bigger than the walk from HoJo's - maybe even smaller since you can always catch the monorail to enter the park.

disney jones
02-08-2005, 02:23 PM
i stated it in my response to the other thread - DLH is the most convenient hotel there is at DLR, on or off property. GCH is closest to DCA, but DLH is closer to the Monorail station, which in my opinion, makes it closer to Disneyland. Its very easy to get a stroller in Tomorrowland too.

DLH is pricier than off-property hotels, and the reason its worth it for me is for the convenince, especially at mid-afternoon nap time.

Darkbeer
02-08-2005, 02:43 PM
For me, a hotel is basically a bed and a shower, so I prefer using things like www.travelaxe.com (http://www.travelaxe.com), or www.hotwire.com (http://www.hotwire.com) to get some great prices (though with Hotwire, I wouldn't do it without having a car (yours or rental).

I also love HoJo's, you can find great rates thru the link at www.MouseSavers.com (http://www.MouseSavers.com).

I rather have the extra money and buy a nice meal inside the resort, than pay for fancy soap.....

CoasterChickie
02-08-2005, 02:46 PM
I rather have the extra money and buy a nice meal inside the resort, than pay for fancy soap.....

Derail...the soap at GCH smells good. The soap at the DLH and PPH is stinky. So is the shampoo/conditioner. But I always bring home all the bottles, wash them out and refill them with Paul Mitchell shampoo then give them to my friends.

Okay, back to business...

lbrackjo
02-08-2005, 02:53 PM
If the DLH is in your budget, I'd stay there. 1) it's your 1st visit make the hotel part of the magic, 2) going to and fro for naps is either via Downtown Disney or Monorail --either way it is in a pedestrian only setting, 3) the DLH will give you a pass to get express access to the monorail in DL, and 4) great onsite ammenities at DLH --pools, gardens etc. Enjoy

kohl
02-08-2005, 03:13 PM
We love to stay on property. It feels like you are always in Disneyland. It is not inconvenient at all. We don't like to use the shuttles that they offer for off property hotels. We like to come and go when we want. Not having to wait for a shuttle, or worring if we will make the next shuttle in time. We started taking our kids when they were 3 and 5 and we have always thought it was very convienent

Hawaiian Cinderella
02-08-2005, 03:31 PM
some of the hotels on harbor blvd, right across the street from the main entrance is ALOT closer than the resort hotels and cost ALOT less. many of them are close enough to just walk it and not have to catch a shuttle.

disney jones
02-08-2005, 04:20 PM
some of the hotels on harbor blvd, right across the street from the main entrance is ALOT closer than the resort hotels and cost ALOT less. many of them are close enough to just walk it and not have to catch a shuttle.agreed if you are talking the Main Gate, but nothing is as close as the DLH Sierra Tower is to the Monorail Station.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Personally, I'd rather have the moolah in my pocket to spend AT DL, than to spend it on the DLH. I've stayed at both Hilton Suites and Homewood Suites and both have great deals with breakfast included. They have shuttles to and from DL, that run like ever 30 minutes. They drop you off right in front of the park, and pick up at the same spot. I've never had trouble with the shuttles. I don't do the afternoon break thing, so, we never stay at a DL hotel. That's my 2 pennies!

Pascomom
02-12-2005, 09:07 AM
We go to DL every year and we have always stayed off property. Hojo's is wonderful, close to front gate, nice pool and grounds. Coast Anahiem Inn has the most wonderful view if you have a room on the North side of the hotel and also has a nice pool and grounds. I know this is not the place to post a review but I just wanted to stress that there are very nice places to stay off property. But.........we have done this so much. This year, even though the cost is triple, we are going to bite the bullet and do it right. We've booked a week at GC Conceirge . I feel we have paid our dues (this is what I tell myself when I see the bill). The walks back to the hotel or waiting for a shuttle when so tired at the end of the day really took it's toll on us. If it were just my hubby and I it would be different, but hauling three little one's around is a lot of work (kids are 9, 5 and 2). I am so excited about our upcoming stay at GC, I have definatley been through these message boards more than a person should. Me thinks I'm a Disney freak. Thanks for all the good info.

Family5LovesDisney
02-12-2005, 09:47 AM
We are going for the first time ever to Disneyland next month and are staying at the DLH. I'm not sure where all these great off-property rates are that everyone talks about?? When you are traveling with a family of five, you are rather limited on your choices. Most hotels only let 4 in a room. We were going to stay at the Marriot Resisdence Inn for $179 a night which would have included breakfast but it wasn't that much more to stay right at the DLH so we decided to go for it. Plus they give you lots of extra goodies for staying at a onsite property. My hubby is quite fond of the fact that the car can stay parked for a few days. He isn't real eager to use shuttles (we have had bad experiences at WDW with off-site shuttles) Plus we like to keep that Disney magic as long as we can.

SCUBAbe
02-12-2005, 09:54 AM
I've stayed at PPH (which was very comfortable.) and the GCH (which was awesome.) However, we spent more money to sleep in those rooms. I say sleep, because we were mostly out of the room in the parks. I think we spend a grand total of 8 to 10 hours in the rooms when we go. We usually just sleep in shower in them. So, for me as long as the room has a comfortable bed and a shower I'm good. If you like to spen alot of time in the room you may want to go with one of the more expensive hotel rooms.

When we had family visiting form out of state they got a suite at the 4 seasons. They were soending a lot of time in the room and they were also entertaining there as well. There was a nice sitting area with a couch and several chairs. So, it made sense for them to get that type of room.

So, I guess it all boils down to what you will use the room for. The last thing I want to do while on vacation is sit in a hotel room.

Darkbeer
02-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Most of HoJo's rooms can handle five folks (the smaller buildings cannot), plus you can get a rollaway for those rooms....

GCH doesn't even offer rollaways, though you can get a sleeping bag..... 4 star hotel...hee..hee..

PPH is the same basic walking distance as the Candy Cane Inn and HoJo's, but you can get shuttles to CCI and HoJo's, but Disney doesn't offer them, and won't allow ART to create a route to service the 3 Disney owned hotels....

UncleGDogWord
02-13-2005, 08:57 AM
I highly recommend the Park Place Inn on Harbor Blvd. It is right accross the Street from the Walk in entrance and the Continental Breakfast is pretty good. We got our vaction through Getawaytoday and the price was great.

Pascomom
02-13-2005, 06:57 PM
I was told their are rooms at GC available which consist of a queen bed, a bunk bed, and a trundle. We are a family of 5 and will be using such a room in April. Hopefully, we'll fit.

stitchlvr
02-13-2005, 07:26 PM
I highly recommend the Park Place Inn on Harbor Blvd. It is right accross the Street from the Walk in entrance and the Continental Breakfast is pretty good. We got our vaction through Getawaytoday and the price was great.

I'm really glad to hear that because we're staying there for the first time in a little over a week. I've been to several motels on Harbor, but not this one. We got a good price and from the reviews, it looked decent.

SCUBAbe
02-13-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm really glad to hear that because we're staying there for the first time in a little over a week. I've been to several motels on Harbor, but not this one. We got a good price and from the reviews, it looked decent.

Is this the same as the park inn anaheim? It's right next door to the carousel. I just booked my room there. It will be the second time I've stayed there. It's no frills, but clean and comfortable.

stitchlvr
02-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Is this the same as the park inn anaheim? It's right next door to the carousel. I just booked my room there. It will be the second time I've stayed there. It's no frills, but clean and comfortable.

No. but it's close. The Park Place Inn is in between the IHOP and the Tropicana. The Park Inn is just a couple of motels down. I've never stayed at either one, although I have stayed at a few of the others on Harbor. I'm hoping Park Place Inn is nice. No frills is fine with me-we're not in the room much anyway!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-13-2005, 09:47 PM
I was 7yo the last, and only time, I stayed at DLH, so I am NO help in that area.
But we stay at Hojos and love it. We have 2 kids, ages 1 and 3, and we put them in the stroller and walk. Even after 6 days at the park, the walk isn't bad at all. For me, I can't see spending all that money on a room when you are only there to sleep. When my kids get older and can appreciate the themed pool or sitting by the fire in the lobby of GC we will fork out the money for GC or DLH, but until then, Hojos it is. I am very happy to have more spending money for souveniers.

Darkbeer
02-13-2005, 10:27 PM
Anybody can enjoy the GCH Lobby, sit in the comfy couches, listen to the storytelling at the fireplace, etc... no need to pay for the hotel room for that... The pools are another story...

Alex S.
02-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Interesting accidental experiment on this.

If you are not a guest of the DLH and therefore don't get priority onto the monorail in Tomorrowland, it takes about as long to get to the Downtown Disney monorail station by monorail as on foot (and this included a stop at the main street lockers).

As a side note, who are the people that wait such ungodly times just to eat at Rainforest Cafe or ESPN Zone on a Saturday evening? We always go over and check it out and then end up eating off property.

wHiTe2k3eP
02-14-2005, 10:57 PM
on a short weekend trip, i'd stay offsite... if it was like a vacation, i'd go with DLH.