PDA

View Full Version : DL Trip - Complaints, Compliments, and Woohoos

Pages : [1] 2

Monte Cristo
02-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Just got back from a 2 day stay at the resort. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Okay, actually - we got into Anaheim a night early (Thursday) and stayed at the Hojo's nearby the first night, and DLH the next two. Got that? Good. Onward...

Complaints...

First and foremost, the Disneyland Hotel. To sum up the experience: they've GOT to be kidding.

I have now stayed at the GCH and DLH and I have to say I'm underwhelmed...and that's being kind. Basically all you're paying for is proximity to the park. That's it. There aren't very many amenities to speak of, except I notice they finally got around to putting in high speed internet access in all the rooms. Bully. However, there's still no pay per view or cable channels worth mentioning. Now, before anyone jumps down my throat shouting: "You're at DISNEYLAND - YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE IN YOUR ROOM!" let me say I agree...to a point. If you're there during a weekday, the park closes at 8, what are you supposed to do then? When I'm on vacation, I want to look forward to going back to my room after a long day of fun. I've noticed that with GCH and DLH I actually dread the end of the day. What's the point of staying in a Disney property to try and extend the experience if the experience genuinly ends at the park's gate? This is especially noticable when you compare the DLH to Hojo's, which I'll get into in the "compliments' portion of this. All in all I'd say DLH was quite a disappointment except that I love DL so much, it wasn't a detriment to the trip.

California Adventure - still horrible. Soarin' is great (if vomit-inducing), but I almost resent Disney for forcing me to watch the Electrical parade there.

Tomorrowland - Depressing. This was my first trip to the park in which I literally found myself walking through it without stopping. Even Star Tours has lost any allure it may have had. Here's hoping Buzz can save it...or at least give me a reason to stop by.

Dearth of hot chocolate - how come when I don't want any those carts are everywhere but when I do all I can find are churros and turkey legs?

Compliments...

Disneyland itself - the park is absolutely beautiful. I love the renovations in preparation for the 50th and as a newly converted Disneyland-obsessive it's really exciting to be apart of what seems like a renewal for the park.

Peter Pan - the only two minute experience I'm willing to wait in line for 30 minutes to experience. Luminous.

Park CMs - the most courteous, friendly staff of people I think I've ever seen. They really enhance the experience and as a guest/customer I'm grateful for their service.

The first dip on Pirates - does it ever stop being fun?

Churros - Ahhhh...deep fried sugar stick things. Speaking of deep fried...

Monte Cristo sandwhich at Blue Bayou - the greatest most horrible thing you could ever eat.

Howard Johnson's near DL - what a pleasant, pleasant surprise. I was expecting another "cheapie" across the street from the park, and was shocked to find a fully functional hotel that treats it's guests with high-end service. Even if you can afford to stay on-site, I would strongly recommend Hojo's instead. It's not that far of a walk and when the park closes, you'll be happy you went with the full-service hotel instead of the one with Mickey Mouse wallpaper. I'd never stayed at Hojo's before, and I have to say I was duly impressed. No, the decor and beds don't come close to touching the Disney style, but the amenities more than made up for it. The full-service gift shop in the lobby is great (and open late. DLH's lobby closed at 10...on a Saturday. That's inexcusable).

Okay, now here's the "Woohoo" part...

Fantasmic - I finally got to see this for the first time. WOW. This is the kind of experience that left me smitten with Disneyland the first time I visited in November of '03.

Miscellaneous...

Why does breakfast in Downtown Disney District cost an average of $30? They're EGGS, people. I don't care how much rent costs. EGGS.

All in all - great trip, and will maybe/hopefully tide us over until our regular holiday trip in November.

I Heart Disneyland!
02-06-2005, 08:48 PM
Very cool report! Also, good to know that DLH is not worth the money. I also have reservations at HOJO's for May, and also Homewood Suites...I can't decide between the two...anyway, what else made HOJO's great?

Monte Cristo
02-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Very cool report! Also, good to know that DLH is not worth the money. I also have reservations at HOJO's for May, and also Homewood Suites...I can't decide between the two...anyway, what else made HOJO's great?

Well, I was first impressed with the decor of the check in lobby. They have a great many Disney touches...almost felt like a kid brother to the on-site properties. It really went a ways towards "extending the Disney feel" to kick off the trip. Good touch on their part. I've stayed at other "good neighbor" hotels and the only way you'd know they were affiliated with Disneyland at all is their location.

Basically I was just really impressed for what you were getting at the price of $60 a night (I've stayed in a lot of hotels...all over the "star" map...Hojo's rates very highly compared to higher-end places, trust me). The room we had was really big (bigger than anything you'd get at DLH or GCH...save for a suite, of course) and a sink outside the bathroom as well as inside which made getting ready in the morning a breeze.

Plus, I didn't really touch on this in my first post but the DLH staff really left me...cold. Nothing specific happened, but that was just the point - the staff at Hojo's made us feel welcomed and happy that we were checking in with them. DLH...sigh.

Yeah, I'd go with Hojo's. OH - quick tip: make sure you get a room with a CA adventure/DL view. One of the other bonuses - we stepped out on our balcony and we were facing the parks. WOW. Great, great sight...really got the imagination rolling for the next few days. On the flip side an upgraded "DTD View" at DLH consisted of a "DTD View" that could only be had if you were able to shove your head out of the window and crane your neck.

calguy77
02-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Just got back from a 2 day stay at the resort. We stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Okay, actually - we got into Anaheim a night early (Thursday) and stayed at the Hojo's nearby the first night, and DLH the next two. Got that? Good. Onward...

Wow you really are bitter and can hold a grudge. Maybe you shouldn't go back, never heard of someone so negative about Disneyland, especially the ELP its a classic. But you are a newbie so hopefully one day you see how great a park it can be.

Monte Cristo
02-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Wow you really are bitter and can hold a grudge. Maybe you shouldn't go back, never heard of someone so negative about Disneyland, especially the ELP its a classic. But you are a newbie so hopefully one day you see how great a park it can be.

I'm sorry...I don't think you actually read my post. I was complaining about the Disneyland HOTEL. Not Disneyland. I love DL.

And as far as ELP is concerned, again - go reread my post. I was complaining about having to watch it in CA Adventure.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-06-2005, 10:15 PM
I didn't read in to your post that you were holding a grudge. I, for one, am glad you posted about your experience at DLH versus HoJo. We have stayed at HoJo, 2 times in 2003 and have our trips in March and Oct/Nov booked to stay there. DH and I took a day trip yesterday and were thinking of staying at a Disney property for our oldest son's 5th birthday, not until Sept. 2006, and we were saying we can't justify the expense of GCH but might do DLH. But we just really have had wonderful experiences with HoJos. I would describe the hotel, the lobby and the staff, just as you described it. GREAT!

Monte Cristo
02-07-2005, 05:26 AM
I didn't read in to your post that you were holding a grudge. I, for one, am glad you posted about your experience at DLH versus HoJo. We have stayed at HoJo, 2 times in 2003 and have our trips in March and Oct/Nov booked to stay there. DH and I took a day trip yesterday and were thinking of staying at a Disney property for our oldest son's 5th birthday, not until Sept. 2006, and we were saying we can't justify the expense of GCH but might do DLH. But we just really have had wonderful experiences with HoJos. I would describe the hotel, the lobby and the staff, just as you described it. GREAT!

Stick with Hojo's. Staying at DLH will only descrease what you can spend in the park, plus your food options become somewhat limited and expensive. Unless you really need Tinkerbelle on your wallpaper to enjoy DL, I can assure you Hojo's is the way to go.

02-07-2005, 05:53 AM
I have now stayed at the GCH and DLH and I have to say I'm underwhelmed...and that's being kind. Basically all you're paying for is proximity to the park. That's it. <snip!> What's the point of staying in a Disney property to try and extend the experience if the experience genuinly ends at the park's gate?

The times I've stayed on-property the point has been exactly what you say: proximity to the park. It can make a huge difference in certain situations. You're paying through the nose to save your neck. Sometimes, you just gotta.

But if proximity doesn't matter, then absolutely stay at one of the non-Disney properties. You'll save a bundle and have a nice room.

junglejoy
02-07-2005, 06:43 AM
MC - I agree with you almost completely !!! The first week of Jan we spent three nights at HoJo's and 5 nights at GCH. The whole time we were at the GCH we were wishing we were at HoJo's. There was so much more room, and you said it perfectly about the staff. The DR staff IS cold! And underwhelmed, that's a great word to describe our experience. We did love the proximity, especially on the rainy days, and we loved the fireplace (again, in the rainy days!), but that was about it.

Another observation about food service. While we were there we ate at Storytellers, Goofy's Kitchen and Blue Bayou. The service at the places where you paid gratuity ahead of time was horrible. GK and Storys were an embarassment to the resort. But the service at BB - INCREDIBLE!!! We had the best server (thanks Mary!). And it was such a change from Goofs and Storys that we doubled the entire bill for the tip! We left Mary a nice note and then wrote up about her at City Hall. She went out of her way to make us comfortable and was so friendly. The kids loved her. So if we get good service (great in this case) we will reward it. They really need to change the required gratuity at Goofs and Storys because those servers are not worth it. I think if they knew they could get a better gratuity by being NICE, they might try harder. But when they're already paid, there's no reason to try.

Monte Cristo
02-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Another observation about food service. While we were there we ate at Storytellers, Goofy's Kitchen and Blue Bayou. The service at the places where you paid gratuity ahead of time was horrible. GK and Storys were an embarassment to the resort.

Wow..yeah, I had completely forgotten how horrible Storytellers is. One of the worst meals/dining experiences I've ever had. Terrible food, terrible service and of course it costs a small fortune.

See, this is what bothers me the most: the cost in relation to what you get. Not just that it's so expensive, but that it's not worth it. Look, I LOVE to pamper myself. I'll gladly pay some of these outrageous fees if at the end of it I felt I had a great experience (which is pretty much the point of any luxery item). Unfortunately at Disney, once you step outside the park they drop any pretenses of a "Disney experience" in favor of a "soak the tourist shmuck" strategy.

I'm happy to see you had a great experience at BB - I've NEVER had a bad meal or time there. Why? It's INSIDE the park. The staff and management are committed to you having a wonderful time. Sad that mindset doesn't extend outside DL gates.

02-07-2005, 07:30 AM
once you step outside the park they drop any pretenses of a "Disney experience" in favor of a "soak the tourist shmuck" strategy.

I'm happy to see you had a great experience at BB - I've NEVER had a bad meal or time there. Why? It's INSIDE the park.

Interesting. The Blue Bayou was the one place in the resort we felt like we'd been soaked. The place was all about the atmosphere - which was fantastic - and not at all about food or service.

Alex S.
02-07-2005, 07:35 AM
The times I've stayed on-property the point has been exactly what you say: proximity to the park.

Which is why Lani and I usually stay at one of the hotels right across Harbor. They're actually closer to the gates than Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier hotel. I've never actually stayed at an on property hotel (and I'm guessing I spend a lot more time in DL-area hotels than most people).

That said, I have to disagree with this

I've stayed in a lot of hotels...all over the "star" map...Hojo's rates very highly compared to higher-end places, trust me

While I've had good experiences with HoJo's, it doesn't compare to Hiltons, Hyatt Regencies, Swissotel, or Westin's (at least, not the one's I've stayed at). But it is definitely one of the better "middle class" hotels I've stayed in.

That said, I'd like to encourage everybody who has stayed at one of the DL area hotels to take a few minutes and share your thoughts in our review system (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi).

adriennek
02-07-2005, 07:53 AM
I have to agree on the service and quality I've experienced at the DLH. The last time I stayed there it was for a business convention. Three of us shared a room at the convention rate for three people but I wasn't the one whose name was on the room (we all paid one person who put it on her credit card.)

The bedspread on my bed had dried oatmeal on it!!! It was GROSS.

Then we lost power on several floors of our tower in the evening. Their communication was horrible. They had CMs placed at the elevators but all they did was stand there talking to each other holding glow sticks. They didn't "warn" us before we went upstairs that our floor might be out of power! Then when we called the front desk, we were on hold for 30 minutes before they answered. I'm sure they had lots of calls to deal with, perhaps having the CMs downstairs tell us what was going on before we went upstairs would've helped that??

The hotel offered us GLOWSTICKS to see! And they offered NOTHING for compensation for our troubles. Some women complained and got some compensation. The woman who paid for our room refused to complain so we didn't get anything. (We had one light in a closet that worked so we could sort of see.)

I accept that I respected 'her' credit card and didn't just get in line and complain like everyone else who got comp'd, (well, they were discounted, not comp'd) but at a resort hotel like DLH, we shouldn't have had to complain. They should've offered a discount on our room or something. Especially for the rates we were paying (the "convention discount" wasn't very much of a discount.)

Adrienne

Wendi
02-07-2005, 07:53 AM
I agree that Hojo's is wonderful... I've never stayed at the DLH, so I feel better about choosing Hojo's and not splurging on the DLH now. However, I would ALWAYS choose GCH over any other hotel around... always (if only I always had the money!!!)

I have had such fantastic experiences at Storyteller's Cafe every time I've been there, I'm surprised that people have bad dining experiences there, it just seems so different from my experiences.

I'd much rather see the Electrical Parade on Main Street in Disneyland, but seeing it in DCA beats not seeing it at all, so I don't complain... I think it's wonderful wherever it is.

Lani
02-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Why does breakfast in Downtown Disney District cost an average of $30? They're EGGS, people. I don't care how much rent costs. EGGS.It's one of the reasons why I so adamantly urge people to stay at hotel that offers a free continental breakfast in the morning. Some of them have gone low-carb by offering boiled eggs, which allows you to create a really nice egg sandwich. VERY filling and far better than just grabbing a glazed donut (or two or three).

Very nice report. Thanks!

scaeagles
02-07-2005, 08:56 AM
My family has actually become quite addicted to staying at the GC. We decided to splurge a couple summers ago and now we've found the proximity is well worth it for us. It is most likely not for most, but with 2 children under 5 and a wife with (minor) health issues, the ease of getting to and from the GC is great. The DLH or PP would not provide the same benefit, so I doubt it would be worth it for us.

Once our kids are older and the health problems have subsided (which they should in the next year), I would guess we'll go back to staying at the Park inn International, which was always our first choice prior to splurging for the GC.

As far as breakfast - what we've done is request a mini fridge in the room. We bring along apples and yogurt and granola bars, and if need be we run to a local grocery store for more. This way we spend next to nothing on breakfast. We have also gotten into the habit of bringing along a case or two of bottled water so that we can take them into the park with us instead of paying $3 a pop in DL.

cstephens
02-07-2005, 10:24 AM
Another observation about food service. While we were there we ate at Storytellers, Goofy's Kitchen and Blue Bayou. The service at the places where you paid gratuity ahead of time was horrible. GK and Storys were an embarassment to the resort. But the service at BB - INCREDIBLE!!! We had the best server (thanks Mary!). And it was such a change from Goofs and Storys that we doubled the entire bill for the tip! We left Mary a nice note and then wrote up about her at City Hall. She went out of her way to make us comfortable and was so friendly. The kids loved her. So if we get good service (great in this case) we will reward it. They really need to change the required gratuity at Goofs and Storys because those servers are not worth it.

Did you have a large party at Storyteller's? That's the only reason I can think of that they would have a required gratuity, because they normally don't. Most places will have a required gratuity percentage with large parties, though Goofy's does include that all the time.

I hadn't been particularly enamoured of Storyteller's dinner in the past (I've always loved their breakfast), but our last few visits have been very nice. I didn't think the prices were overly expensive, and service was just fine. Goofy's is another matter. Won't be going back there unless dragged.

As for Blue Bayou, my last dinner there was quite nice, but I've had many not-so-great lunches there - servers who were inattentive and sometimes seemingly nonexistent. Our table of about 6 (or was it 8?) got one drink refill the entire time we were there, and that was pretty much because we ended up flagging down someone. So while I have experienced worse service when it comes to places that charge an automatic gratuity, I don't think it's a given, nor that a restaurant inside the park is going to be automatically great.

DangerMouse
02-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Great trip report MC! I am so glad to hear your impressions of the DLH. I've been pouting that we couldn't afford it and had to end up making resies at the HoJo. I'll officially quit pouting now. :D

Love reading everyone's different insights on here, both negative and positive. It helps me to look at things differently each time a I go!

pisces
02-07-2005, 11:16 AM
I understand where you are coming from about the ....EGGS !!!

I can buy a carton of eggs for under a dollar (Grade AAA too)....so it makes no sense to splurge on expensive brunches/breakfasts.

But, both Storytellers and Goofy's do trot out steak/Prime Rib at dinner, which justifies the price a little bit more---at least for dinnertime. It is unforgivable, though, that Goofys puts out "Chicken and Stars" (Cambpells from the can) ....soup as their signature soup, for a $30.00 buffet. You'd think they'd at least make a soup from scratch, or at least not be so obvious.

But, I still like the atmosphere at Goofys, and going there once a year won't break my budget. Wouldn't go any more than that, though.

I'm am totally sold on GC, no matter how much I have to scrimp and save to afford a once-a-year stay there.

However, I suppose (sigh) it's good to have a budget alternative, just in case. Sigh sigh sigh.

I've heard so much about HOJO's from everyone on this site. However, after eyeballing it in relation to Park Place, in terms of Main Gate location........Park Place is my budget alternative.

Unless someone wants to tell me emphatically, absolutely that Hojo's is most definitely closer to Main Gate than Park Place. I think Park Place is the closest!!!

80S ERA
02-07-2005, 12:45 PM
The bedspread on my bed had dried oatmeal on it!!! It was GROSS.

I hope that was oatmeal... :eek:

I have dined at Storytellers 5 times and have had great servers with exception to one lunch incident. Usually, my wife and I would order the dinner buffet (around $29/person) and we enjoy it everytime. My water is always full, the servers are friendly and polite, etc..

However, when I met my wife for lunch a few months ago, we ran into some cast members literally unwilling to lift a finger for us. My wife was pushing our son in a stroller and had trouble opening the door at the same time (mothers know exactly what I'm talking about) while entering the SC restaurant. There were 5 cast members at the front desk that looked right at her and didn't do a thing. She finally got in and wasn't even greeted by ANY of them. When she was finally seated with me, it took our server forever to take our order and bring our food out.

It only takes one bad experience to ruin it. Fortunately, we're still willing to go back for buffets. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend lunch at SC.

CoasterChickie
02-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi Monte Cristo

Thanks for your trip report. Sorry to hear that the DLH was such a disappointment for you. We've always had good experiences there. The Hojos sounds really great from what everybody at this board has said. I'l definitely have to do some "investigating" on my next trip. Is there a Coldstone Creamery anywhere near it? J/K :D

I love your descriptions of the Peter Pan ride and the first drop on POTC...those are my same thoughts!!!

If you got to DTD for breakfast again, try out the Whitewater Snacks. Our whole family of 6 can eat breakfast with eggs for $30.

MrsG
02-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I have dined at Storytellers 5 times and have had great servers with exception to one lunch incident. Usually, my wife and I would order the dinner buffet (around $29/person) and we enjoy it everytime. My water is always full, the servers are friendly and polite, etc..

However, when I met my wife for lunch a few months ago, we ran into some cast members literally unwilling to lift a finger for us. My wife was pushing our son in a stroller and had trouble opening the door at the same time (mothers know exactly what I'm talking about) while entering the SC restaurant. There were 5 cast members at the front desk that looked right at her and didn't do a thing. She finally got in and wasn't even greeted by ANY of them. When she was finally seated with me, it took our server forever to take our order and bring our food out.

It only takes one bad experience to ruin it. Fortunately, we're still willing to go back for buffets. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend lunch at SC.
We have exactly the same experience. Dinners have always been wonderful - service and food! Well worth the price of admission. But lunch was a different story. The food was still tasty (recommend the turkey avocado club) but the service was some of the worst we have had anywhere. Waited forever to take our order, never refilled drinks, never smiled, never asked how the food was (this is an immediate deduction in tip), and the server was just generally never there when we needed her. This was our only time doing lunch, and it could have been a fluke, but from all the other stories, I don't think so.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
02-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Unless someone wants to tell me emphatically, absolutely that Hojo's is most definitely closer to Main Gate than Park Place. I think Park Place is the closest!!!

I don't think it is closer than Park Place, but from what I have heard, it is nicer and I can handle a little further walk for a nicer room.

I have to laugh at people who complain about the walk to and from hotels though, you walk all day at DL, is it really that far to walk another 8 minutes to get to the room? If you have kids, bring a stroller!

02-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I have to laugh at people who complain about the walk to and from hotels though, you walk all day at DL, is it really that far to walk another 8 minutes to get to the room?

Aw, don't laugh. Not everyone's legs are as young and spry as their spirit.

tod
02-07-2005, 02:07 PM
I have to laugh at people who complain about the walk to and from hotels though, you walk all day at DL, is it really that far to walk another 8 minutes to get to the room? If you have kids, bring a stroller!

When you consider that walking at Disneyland is from fun thing to fun thing, and walking from Disneyland to your hotel is an inconvenience: Yes, it is that far.

Laugh all you want. In 20 years you'll know how I feel.

--t
20 years (and two months) older than MommyTo2Boys