PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland trip planning books?

my2princesses
02-04-2005, 04:40 PM
I would like to purchase a book about Disneyland that will help with trip planning and that will also help with all the hidden things there are to do in the parks. Any suggestions? I will be going to Barnes and Noble or Borders.
Thanks so much!

Disney Vault
02-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Who needs a book when you have mouseplanet?

rentayenta
02-04-2005, 04:55 PM
The Unofficial Guide is good but if you ask specifics, I am positive that someone here on MP will know the answer :)

kisroo
02-04-2005, 04:57 PM
I would like to purchase a book about Disneyland that will help with trip planning and that will also help with all the hidden things there are to do in the parks. Any suggestions? I will be going to Barnes and Noble or Borders.
Thanks so much!

I like The Unofficial Guide by Bob Sehlinger (don't know if the 2005 version is out yet.) and Birnbaum's Disneyland Resort guides (the 2005 version is out.). The Unofficial obviously gives a less biased view and the cartoons and day "plans" are hilarious. Birnbaum's is linked with DLR (they even call it the "Inside Source") so it will have actual DLR photos and tips from Disney.

Have fun! :D
~kisroo:)

bradk
02-04-2005, 05:13 PM
unofficial 2005 is in fact out.

The Unofficial Guide to Disneyland 2005 by Bob Sehlinger - ISBN #0764559702
Birnbaum's Disneyland 2005 - ISBN #0786854308

those are really the only current books out there, and since disney changes so much, it's probably not safe to even rely on an older book.

personally, i wouldn't even consider buying either. i've learned more about disneyland through here and a few other websites than i know what to do with.

SuefromRI
02-04-2005, 06:59 PM
One option is to check the books out at the library to see if they're worth buying. I always check the new unofficial guide there to see what has changed from before, cuz ususally not much yearly. Or while at the bookstore check both books to see which one answers more of your questions.

bradk
02-04-2005, 08:29 PM
against my own advice, i purchased both tonight.

i read most of the birnbaum on my trip home. i kind of bought it primarily for the map so i can study where everything is before the trip (which is only really important to me because i'm trying to cover both parks in 2 days and relying on ridemax for my intinerary and it looks like things could get easily messed up if you don't know exactly where you're going). other than that and the one-time use 10% off merchandise coupon in the back (which could easily pay back for the book itself), i'd have to suggest passing on this one. it's rather thin, only briefly touches on a lot of things and is chock-full of mis(sing)-information. a lot of the times, it just tells you to check disneyland.com or call for updated information. it even describes the comparatively lower ticket prices and how they may rise in 2004 (?!?). it does have a nice spread on the 50th anniversary additions though.

Tandyc
02-04-2005, 11:01 PM
BradK- When you read the Unofficial Guide will you let us know what you think? I'm tempted to get it, but can't find it anywhere to look thru before purchasing, so Amazon is my only source at the moment. I'd love to know what you think.

Thanks,

Tnadyc

bradk
02-05-2005, 05:06 AM
yeah, i definitely will.

by the way, i was introduced to http://www.visionsfantastic.com yesterday and i feel obligated to say, there's so much valuable information about the park on it there. much more so than the birnbaum. at least as far as the maps and ride information is concerned (birnbaum doesn't identify buildings like City Hall on its map for example).

Terri
02-05-2005, 08:31 AM
one of my favorites is the unofficial guidebook...
The other I just found is the Disney Detective...it has a lot of the "hidden" stuff in it like movie props, who windows are named after, why the train names, where are hidden mickeys, etc.

Darkbeer
02-05-2005, 09:36 AM
I recommend the 2005 edition of the Unofficial Guide, they now have my FASTPASS guide worked into the book, and all their touring plans :)

And the 2005 Birnbaum guide is a joke, it has a lot of outdated information, and many of the maps don't even show the ToT that opened in Spring 2004. And Birnbaum's Disney editions are actually totally produced by Disney!

bradk
02-05-2005, 01:38 PM
in all fairness, ToT is in fact on the DCA map (#2) in birnbaum 2005 (at least in my copy, and i couldn't see anything about multiple printings - i'd have to assume it's still on first).

it's still an awful way to get acclimated with the parks in my opinion. wouldn't recommend it now that i own it and have read it.

will be starting on the unofficial guide later today.

Marox3
02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Who needs a book when you have mouseplanet?
Absolutely! I've learned so much by reading everyone's posts. It's just great!

bradk
02-05-2005, 05:15 PM
so by the way, i'm 1/4 into the unofficial guide (which does mention this site as a resource) and i have to say i'm fairly impressed even if i haven't reached the infamous intineraries yet.

the section on hotels is very informative. it even convinced me to go ahead and spend literally $3 more or so a night to get a much better hotel/location, which is (of no surprise) one of the ones touted on here.

still, like birnbaum, some information is outdated (numerous references to millionaire, etc), but then again, these books are written at the beginning of the prior year, so it's hard to fault them except for no real disclaimers. in any case, it's definitely far more informative and interesting reading than birnbaum.

so unless the book completely fails me, i say if you HAVE to buy a book, this would be the one.

Wendi
02-05-2005, 05:19 PM
the section on hotels is very informative. it even convinced me to go ahead and pay $20 more or so a night to get a better hotel, which is (of no surprise) one of the ones touted on here.

Which hotel?

bradk
02-05-2005, 05:32 PM
well i realized the price difference wasn't that great when checking the rates at discount sites like expedia. i have reservations at ramada maingate / saga for $66 a night, but for $69, I can stay at either Carousel or HoJo and I think Carousel is a much more logical choice. It's rated by the unofficial guide slightly lower than HoJo but according to the map, should be 'much' closer to the gates.

Darkbeer
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
in all fairness, ToT is in fact on the DCA map (#2) in birnbaum 2005 (at least in my copy, and i couldn't see anything about multiple printings - i'd have to assume it's still on first).

Inside Back cover, tell me where ToT is?????

bradk
02-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Inside Back cover, tell me where ToT is?????

i left it at work, but i'm sure you're right, but the first page in the DCA section, where it has the map, ToT is there.

the book definitely has its share of problems, no doubt about that.

sambo
02-05-2005, 09:52 PM
one of my favorites is the unofficial guidebook...
The other I just found is the Disney Detective...it has a lot of the "hidden" stuff in it like movie props, who windows are named after, why the train names, where are hidden mickeys, etc.

Except there are factual errors, as well as frequent swapping of "then" for "than" that shoots the credibility. There is much information there, but it's all available elsewhere. Probably with better grammar and fact checking...

bradk
02-06-2005, 12:46 PM
so i read the unofficial guide by sehlinger.

i'd have to recommend it because it is very informative. it goes into details about how the park opening works and it has some amazing tips even aside from the rides. (i previously mentioned the hotel info being excellent as well, altho now that entertainment.com has come to light, that might be a better option in the off season than what the book proposes)

the ride reviews are decent. it does a great job of explaining how the different types of loading works on various rides and explains how their wait times can be affected, including a way to guesstimate how long your wait will be at any particular ride. it even discusses the tactics employed by disney to spread customers across the park, such as 'stacking.' there are some good tips as there as well, altho a lot of really nice things to know aren't mentioned. such as the fact that the matterhorn has 2 tracks/queues and one is a different experience than the other. it also doesn't mention the opportunity to ride in the pilot house of the mark twain. so there's a lot of things you pick up on sites like this that the books don't cover.

this one also doesn't even touch upon celebrating birthdays in the park (what gives with that?!?). birnbaum does, but very minimally. again, this site is way more informative.

it also covers universal studios for some reason. it's nice that it does, particular since i'm going there, but i imagine if any non-disney attraction would be covered, it should be knotts berry farm, which seems to be a favorite of the disneyland going crowd.

the itineraries look good enough, but i would advise going with www.ridemax.com if that's your thing. at least there, the itinerary is completely customized (and won't include rides that aren't open!) and has a few options to work with. even if you're going to DL once, it's well worth the $13 investment (for the 3 month subscription) and plus they have a 30 day money back guarantee (altho if you're at the point where you want your money back, $13 probably won't buy your happiness back).

Biscuit
02-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't think I could have coped without the Unofficial Guide for our first visit in 2003 :) Having done it once with that book, I'm confident we can do without this year (and all the great Mousepad reccomendations I'm taking with me from your guys over the last 2 years!).

We're thinking about WDW as well this year (both parks on the same holiday!) so we went straight for the Unofficial Guide WDW 2005. Mind boggling, but far better than leaping in the deep end.

I always reccommend the Unofficial Guides now to anyone who will listen.

Oh, also their website is great for updates too during the year before reprints

www.touringplans.com

bradk
02-06-2005, 08:12 PM
please correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like touringplans.com is only for WDW, not DLR