PDA

View Full Version : GCH - theme park or DTD view?

Disneynerd
02-03-2005, 08:28 PM
For our annual trip, we may be hunkered down in our hotel room more than usual this year due to our newest nine month old guest (naps, change of clothes, bedtime, blah, blah, blah). So, a view is a little more important this year. I say theme park because I'm a Disney purist and love to gaze upon it's majesty (yes, even DCA is majestic to me). Hubby thinks people watching on DTD may be more amusing.

Who wins, me or hubby?

Opus1guy
02-03-2005, 08:40 PM
You!

kisroo
02-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Courtyard view. We loved it!
It's peaceful and mght help if the 9 months 'guest' is having a hard day/naptime. You could "rock" the little one to sleep while on the patio overlooking the courtyard.

But, if you are wanting to be "surrounded" by all things Disney. Go with the DCA view. ;)

Wendi
02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
I've had both, and I think I prefer the themepark view. One of the really cool things about having a view of DCA on our first stay there was that they were doing a media preview of the "Eureka" parade while we were there so we got to watch it from our room and it was way cool. People watching over DTD is OK too, but wouldn't you rather people watch on the Redwood Challenge Trail???

Now, if you were only going to be in your room during the hours when DCA was closed anyway, the DTD view may be more appealing to you, but since you'll be there with baby, take the park view this time.

02-04-2005, 06:34 AM
We loved our theme park view. You can peoplewatch anytime. But how fun to watch them test the rollercoasters in the morning!

80S ERA
02-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Theme park view of Grizzly Peak. 'Majestic' is a good word to describe this place in the morning hours where it is quiet and the mist from the ride fills the air similar to a fog-like effect.

On another note: Congrats on the 9-month year old. :fez: Make sure you take advantage of the baby center locations in both parks. I have an 11-month son and they are lifesavers! Also, beware of cast member slamming the lap bar into your baby on the slow dark rides. This happened to us on 3 separate rides in Fantasyland and I felt like shooting someone. :mad:

sierranevada
02-04-2005, 07:49 AM
Seems like I am the only one who prefers the DTD view! We love to sit on our balcony and watch the fireworks! Might want to think about that since you may be in your room at that time with the little one! BTW, congrats on the new addition!

Disneynerd
02-04-2005, 08:05 AM
Seems like I am the only one who prefers the DTD view! We ...love to sit on our balcony and watch the fireworks! Might want to think about that since you may be in your room at that time with the little one! BTW, congrats on the new addition!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! I love this board. I love my little Disneynerd Junior. She has my cheeks.
Anywho, Sierranevada, I think I'm on your wave length. I picture my husband and I sneaking out to our balcony while the little one sleeps for some grown up conversation time while sipping California wine. I might want to feel a bit more in-touch with social activity. Therefore, maybe the hubby wins. :rolleyes:

sierranevada
02-04-2005, 09:09 AM
Anywho, Sierranevada, I think I'm on your wave length. I picture my husband and I sneaking out to our balcony while the little one sleeps for some grown up conversation time while sipping California wine. I might want to feel a bit more in-touch with social activity. Therefore, maybe the hubby wins. :rolleyes:

That is exactly what we did! In the mornings, we would sit out and people watch as we drank our coffee and watched DTD and DL "wake up" and in the evenings we enjoyed some wine. We brought a few bottles ourselves and the Hearth Lounge was great about giving us a few glasses! They usually have some wonderful bands playing in DTD that really enchanced this experience. And don't worry, once the sliding door is close, we did not hear any noise.

Enjoy!!

MrsG
02-04-2005, 09:20 AM
They usually have some wonderful bands playing in DTD that really enchanced this experience. And don't worry, once the sliding door is close, we did not hear any noise.
This was the concern I was going to bring up. Haven't had a GCH DtD view room, but have had one at DLH. Sure the bands are nice early in the evening, but when you want to get some sleep (midnight), we could hear them plenty good from our DLH room with the door closed. We won't do DtD view room again. The courtyard rooms were very peaceful, but I think I'd go for the park view.

gothemi
02-04-2005, 09:48 AM
I perfer the DTD view as well. We sat out on the balcony and listened to the live music. You can even see some of the fireworks if your on a high floor. I also liked seeing the Monorails whizz by coming back to DL.

biolabetty
02-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I agree about the DTD view. People watching is great, music is wonderful, and it really is quiet when you close the sliding door. We had a theme park view from the Paradise Pier, which was ok, except when they started to test rides after hours and in the morning, the music from that area came blaring across the street, and we had our window closed. It was so loud that we got up out of bed to see what it was. I found DTD much more peaceful. It is fun to watch them test the rides, but I live where I see Magic Mountain from my bedroom window, and I guess it isn't interesting anymore.

pisces
02-04-2005, 11:49 AM
I had a theme park view for my week there, last month.

The next time around, I'll probably just get the city/standard view to save money.

But, theme park was ok for me after a 25 year absence from the park.

The first two nights were extraordinary, and it was very glamorous seeing the Sun Wheel all lit up at night.

The excitement sort of wore off as time went on. Or, it could have been aggravation as the rain pelted the balcony and you couldn't really be out there in it. Balcony furniture gets really wet in the rain, but you could still see the view through the picture window: My pictures coming soon.

DOWNTOWN DISNEY: I would never pay for that view. I could just go to DD whenever I want, for free. Why pay for something that's essentially free, to everyone? As it was, I tried to avoid DD whenever I could. So, I'd hardly want to see it out my window.

All in all, if you could swing it so you are right beneath the Green Meadow during the day, and see the lit up Sun Wheel at night.......that makes for the best view.