PDA

View Full Version : The GCH...

Pages : [1] 2

QueenAlisha
02-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Just wanted to know what you know about the GCH. Likes,dislikes,thing i should do/see. just anything about it. (yeah i know im a freak, but i just cant wait.)

stan4d_steph
02-03-2005, 06:32 AM
When you check in, ask about the tours offered. There's one that highlights the design and architecture of the GCH. There's also an early morning DCA tour that gets you a ride on CA Soarin'.

Grab a bite in Whitewater Snacks and if you're a coffee or soda drinker, pick up a mug that you can refill there during your stay.

Check out Acorn Gifts, the gift shop in the lobby. They have a wonderful selection of items that go with the CA Arts & Crafts theme of GCH.

Check out the menu at Napa Rose and have a meal there. If it's too pricey for your budget, have a drink and appetizer in the lounge area.

Spend some time relaxing in the lobby. There's a comfy alcove with a fireplace and some rocking chairs and a piano player comes and plays regularly throughout the day.

tlovesdis
02-03-2005, 07:28 AM
The Grand is beautiful! Make sure you spend a little time in the lobby by the fireplace! Also, have a meal or two at Whitewater Snacks, great prices! The pool is cool too!

02-03-2005, 07:46 AM
It's a lovely hotel where it's easy to feel at home. It's posh, yes, but doesn't overwhelm you.

junglejoy
02-03-2005, 07:51 AM
My opinion is save your money unless you found an incredible deal. You can experience the hotel w/o paying the rates to stay there. Come inside and have a seat in the lobby, or by the fireplace, go to storytime in the evening - so many things you can do w/o paying $200 a night for a robe in your closet and turn down service. If you're really into that sort of stuff and plan to spend more time at the hotel than at the parks, then it's probably perfect for you, but for us who like to spend most of our time at the parks, it's just not worth it. We're hardly at the hotel and feel like our pockets are being picked with paying $12 an hour for high-speed internet (only during the business center's hours - not in the evening!!!) and $12 a day for a newspaper and the ability to park the car (resort fee). I've stayed at many resort hotels, and the GCH just doesn't measure up. The rooms are tiny, the service is subpar. (Everytime I called for something - newspaper, extra towel - it took two calls and at least two hours to get them - that is not a resort quality hotel!)

I know a lot of people love the GCH, and I loved being so close to Downtown Disney and CA, but where we usually stay (Howard Johnson) I don't feel any further from the DL front gates. And the service is much better at HoJos. My opinion is to save your money and stay at a place that costs a lot less and spend your money on some incredible meals and souviners! But I'm sure a lot of people disagree!

CoasterChickie
02-03-2005, 08:04 AM
I agree with a lot of what Jungle Joy said, but two things I really liked about the GCH were the Bambi shower curtains in the bathrrooms and standing on the balcony of my room and feeling like I was right inside DCA. We were at the very end of the hotel and right above the Soaring Over California building.

NVMulan
02-03-2005, 08:08 AM
My favorite thing is being RIGHT there and just feeling part of it all constantly. In Nov we would leave our room and be in DCA 2 minutes later. It was just wonderful. I go back in 3 weeks and can't wait! The air at Disney is just happier than air elsewhere!

Wendi
02-03-2005, 08:25 AM
It's ALL good... nothing bad to say about GCH!!! You will feel very special staying there.

Gramiangel420
02-03-2005, 08:30 AM
It's ALL good... nothing bad to say about GCH!!! You will feel very special staying there.
I am so glad to hear this. My daughters, granddaughter and myself will be staying there in March. We go to DLR about once a year, but we have never stayed at one of the resort hotels. :)

QueenAlisha
02-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone! we have never stayed at any resort hotels either. when we called for the AP rates, they only had room at GCH left, so we took it. it sounds so wonderful, i have never even stayed at a place with room service. Not sure how long we will be spending in the hotel, but i know i will find time to sit by that fire. it looks amazing. only 8 days left....

pisces
02-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Joy:

The Business Center shouldn't charge you anything for using the Internet, as long as you keep it under a half-hour.

I'm not sure if you can waive the Resort fee or not.

As far as spending more time in the Park, than the room: That's fine if the weather's good.

When I was there, it rained the whole week, so a lot of people were spending more time indoors than they had anticipated.

All the hotels in Anaheim charge 15% tax anywhere you go.

02-03-2005, 11:43 AM
QueenAlisha, promise us you'll tell us what you thought of the GCH when you return?

dlandnut
02-03-2005, 11:48 AM
We have stayed at the GCH twice. Both times were wonderful and the feel and ambience is worth it. I recommend what others have stated, the "rest" time in the lobby and listening to the wonderful piano player is so worth it. I do think the meals were a bit pricey, except Whitewater Snacks, which is great and much cheaper. But you should stay there at least once, to say you did! Have a great time and please post your opinions upon your return. :)

biolabetty
02-03-2005, 11:53 AM
When I made reservations yesterday, I was told that there was internet access in the rooms, and that the cost was included in your resort fee that you have to pay anyway. I also like that if you are checking out but are still planning on playing at the resort that day, you can leave your luggage at the Bell Desk for no charge. We enjoyed the GCH so much, I really liked having a Downtown Disney view. I liked watching all of the people and listening to Drew Tretick play the violin right outside my room. We could also see parts of the Fantasmic fireworks from our balcony, and occasionally could even hear the music from it. We were also surprised to discover that when you closed your door to the balcony, the noise pretty much disappeared. Have a great time, I think you'll love it there.

80S ERA
02-03-2005, 01:35 PM
My wife / I had a "theme park view" and I have the following observations:

Pros:
Nice, quaint fitness room with windows looking into DCA
Pool area themed well
Napa Rose
Storyteller's Cafe
White Water Snacks (shhhh -- GCH's best kept secret when on a budget)
Lobby area

Cons
Too much "nickel & diming" - Disney charges you for just about EVERYTHING. Almost nothing is included with the room rate.
Low staff-to-guest ratio - Although Disney would not disclose their ratio in The Traveler magazine's article on 4-star hotels, I'm pretty sure it is not on par with similar priced hotels like St. Regis, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.
Eureka Springs 'spa' - it really isn't a "spa" if they make you wait outside before your appointment while the teenage cast members flirt with each other. However, the changing rooms were a nice touch -- sauna, steam, lockers, etc.

lbrackjo
02-03-2005, 01:46 PM
FYI: Have fun, but do NOT touch anything in the mini-bar. It's all electronically connected to the front desk and just reading the labels or re-arranging the goods will put charges onto your bill. Ask for a seperate room fridge if you think you'll need one.

junglejoy
02-03-2005, 02:05 PM
I realize that there is a tax and do have a problem with that, but it's at any hotel, so I can't stick that to just the GCH. And in my post I didn't.

My problem was the $11-12 a day resort fee (we were told it would be $9, but apprently it went up after our first night at the resort - no one told us - another thing that bothered me) that included a newspaper and parking - not very close to the hotel either. If you want the good parking it's extra. And the business center was offering everyone free 30 min but us. Did we look like we could afford it? Did we come across as rude? We just asked nicely. We also asked nicely for a Downtown Disney or Pool view upgrade and were told it would be $45 extra a night. When we were walking into our room there was a woman checking in who got the Downtown Disney upgrade for free - she checked in within 3 min of us! I guess stuff like that really bugs me. I'm paying the same price, kindly ask for something and told it costs extra, everyone else gets it for free.

And it truly isn't a resort hotel. A place for masages doesn't make it a resort hotel. If you want a true resort experience, GCH is not it! You're paying for closeness to the parks (I really like that perk, but not enough to pay $100-200 a night extra for it). A bathrobe in the closet and turn down service with a chocolate doesn't make it worth it either - oh and the person who did the turndown always forgot to leave the paper with tomorrow's weather and events on it - another place where they failed. Everything else is either equal or worse than hotels across Harbor. Oh, except that fireplace! I love that!!!! We were there when the rain was HORRIBLE and that fireplace was so nice to warm ourselves in front of with some hot chocolate. But I could have done that without staying at the hotel! Next time I will.

It's just not worth it to me. And I've heard that now there is high-speed internet in the rooms, when we were there, nope. That would have made a huge difference with Mr. Joy, but now the opportunity is lost and we won't stay there again. Just not worth it.

kohl
02-03-2005, 03:05 PM
My family LOVES this hotel. We stay there whenever we get good rates. Last time when we stayed at Paradise Pier (Which we also liked) and had to walk through GC to get to PP, as soon as we walked through GC we all thought it just felt like home to us.

Tandyc
02-03-2005, 04:46 PM
My family LOVES this hotel. We stay there whenever we get good rates. Last time when we stayed at Paradise Pier (Which we also liked) and had to walk through GC to get to PP, as soon as we walked through GC we all thought it just felt like home to us.

What would you consider a good rate for this hotel? I just booked here and am hoping I got a good deal.

Thanks

kohl
02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
The best rate we have gotten is $159 a night. That is with an AP.
I know it isn't REALLY a good rate considering all the other hotels, but we spurge once a year on that hotel. This is actually the most we have ever spent on a hotel, but we love it there.

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
02-03-2005, 07:24 PM
The "value" of the GC also depends on your needs and how you like to travel. We were just there last weekend and I found it to be well worth the money (at AP rates). I have three small children, so the proximity is wonderful--we came back for naps and it was a wonderful break. With small children we also go to bed earlier, so I want a nice room with good amenities. It was nice not to have to bring our pack-and-play crib from NorCal. Celebrating a birthday at the GC made it extra special, from the ballons, pictures, birthday button and stickers upon arrival to dinner at Storyteller's w/birthday bucket. We've stayed at the DLH and enjoyed that, too, but it was a long walk from the action. Since I have family in South Pasadena, I'll either make it a day trip or splurge for the GC. As my girls get older and don't need frequent breaks during the day, maybe we'll save money and take advantage of the value hotels near DLR.

02-04-2005, 06:03 AM
Low staff-to-guest ratio - Although Disney would not disclose their ratio in The Traveler magazine's article on 4-star hotels, I'm pretty sure it is not on par with similar priced hotels like St. Regis, Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc.

An interesting point, 80S ERA. I truly did not notice a lack of service. In fact, I never noticed the service - things were simply done correctly and at the right time and unobtrusively. That is a mark of how good the service was.

Bottom line on the DLR hotels: there's a good fit for everyone.

Shortiemetoo
02-04-2005, 06:47 AM
The only DLR hotel I have stayed in in the DL hotel. However having returned from DL last week I must say that whitewater cafe is excellent!!! The service, price and quality of the food was wonderful! The fireplace in the lobby is beautiful!!! The pool area is gorgeous. Absolutely beautiful!

pisces
02-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Joy: Good grief !!!! If that's how you feel, do not stay at the GC !!!

I can actually understand what you are saying, because I spent an unbelievable amount of money for a full week, at the most crowded time, at the GC. But, I planned, at least 9 months in advance, for it. I had nine months to get comfortable with spending that amount of money, and read these messages to find out what to expect---good and bad---at least a year before I arrived. I spent 9 months putting away money, beforehand. So, for me, the money was there, for the spending, and I didn't think too much about the high cost of things........while I was there.

Of course now that I'm back, reality hits me, and I'm feelin it now.

I'm too embarrassed to even reveal, here, what I paid, because it's such an outrageous amount-----even though they were willing to do a bit of an adjustment, and I tried to cut costs here and there (don't think I was too successful on that).

I think it's much more of a shock when you don't plan, and don't put away money.....well in advance.

Disney is over priced everywhere and anywhere throughout the Resort, but you know that going in. I don't think the GC was ever supposed to be the Ritz Carlton, or the Four Seasons. But, it is the newest, and in the best location....so it makes sense, that out of all of 'em.....it would cost the most.

......Even though that's little comfort now....during the mid-Winter doldrums when everyone's (or at least I am) fresh out of money.

80S ERA
02-04-2005, 06:52 AM
An interesting point, 80S ERA. I truly did not notice a lack of service. In fact, I never noticed the service - things were simply done correctly and at the right time and unobtrusively. That is a mark of how good the service was.
I guess it depends on what you compare the GCH to. If we are comparing it against a run-of-the-mill Hyatt or Hilton, I'd say the GCH exceeds their service and staff ratio.

On the other hand, if you've stayed at a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons (which have nightly rates for about the same price) they do not measure up.