PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Libby Lu?

Pages : [1] 2

disney jones
02-02-2005, 12:57 PM
we're heading to DLR in less than 24 hours for Zoë's 6th birthday. Yenta had a great idea about taking her to Libby Lu as a present!

What advice can people give Papa Jones about it? Cost? How long would we expect to be in there? Do we need a ressie? What do they offer for a 6 yr old?

thanks!!

stan4d_steph
02-02-2005, 01:14 PM
To get an idea of what is offered there, I suggest checking out the website for Club Libby Lu (http://www.clublibbylu.com/). If you daughter likes pink, I'm sure you'll find something.

hbquikcomjamesl
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
What's a "Club Libby Lu"? (And I've already looked at the web site, and it just left me more puzzled than ever).

Darkbeer
02-02-2005, 01:21 PM
I recommend Build A Bear instead, about the same price, and instead of a one day makeover, she will get a gift she can cherish for a long time.....

Darkbeer
02-02-2005, 01:23 PM
What's a "Club Libby Lu"? (And I've already looked at the web site, and it just left me more puzzled than ever).

It is a place designed for pre-teens to get a makeover (A nickname that has caught on, I think it started here, was "Build-A-Whore". They host many birthday parties, and you have these groups of 10 year olds parading around DtD wearing (IMHO) too much make-up.

adriennek
02-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Totally "just my opinion"- based on what I've seen of Libby Lu and the little girls who I've seen at Disneyland who have been there- I would second the "build-a-bear" idea.

Adrienne

hbquikcomjamesl
02-02-2005, 01:33 PM
"Build-A-Whore"I didn't know you could say that on MousePad!

Disneygirl65
02-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Don't know anything about Libby Lu (my daughter's too old for that sort of thing) but I wanted to say have a great time at Disneyland! :)

disney jones
02-02-2005, 01:36 PM
we have a Build-A-Bear here in Arizona so that's out, and i know all about their reputation to make a 'slutty' look, and i won't stand for that of course.

that said, i know my girl would just love this, so i really am looking for the constructive information you'd have on how i should do it.

i'll check out the web site also.

any other input?

thanks!! :)

Darkbeer
02-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Somewhat off topic, make sure and get a Birthday Sticker at City Hall when you first get there, in fact, if you are staying at a Hotel, check and see if they have stickers at the Front Desk...

Check into the Character Meals and the Birthday Celebration at the Plaza Inn.

disney jones
02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
thanks - those are on the list!

mzloolue
02-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I don't know anything about Libby Lu, but I remember when I was about 6 the teenage girl next door put my hair up in a bouffant french twist sort of thing and let me wear make-up and one of her dancing costumes. It was fun.

When my daughter was 11 she wanted navy blue fingernail polish, I said no. I wanted her to have a pale pink color(or none). My mom was with us and she said, " She wants navy blue polish, what could it possibly hurt"? Mom was right. She got the blue polish and it didn't hurt anything.

If you think your daughter would like to be "done up", what could it possibly hurt?

Have fun and take a bunch of pictures. :)

hbquikcomjamesl
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Who knows: you could discover that she's one of the rare kids who can dress completely and utterly like a streetwalker, and still not look like one. (I used to know a kid like that; she used to skate out of the Costa Mesa rink.)

CoasterChickie
02-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Hi Disney Jones!

I'd like to share my opinion too. I've see some girls come out of there looking darling and some come out of there looking terrible. A good rule of thumb is less is more, especially on the older girls.

They put the girl's hair up in a ponytail and add fake hairpieces that are curly or braided. Then they spray on some sparkles. On their faces they might put a little start next to each eye or some sparkles on the cheeks. They might also use some lipstick and I think that's where things can go wrong if they choose a really awful color.

There are different little outfits. Some are cutesie , but some are a little racy. I think the feather boas are kind of fun depending on what kind of personality your daughter has..trying to be silly versus trying to be sexy.

The younger girls still look young even when they're made up. But on the older girls it doesn't look quite right. They would be better off getting a real make-over at Sephora.

My girls are 17 and when they wear make-up that is tasteful they look very wholesome and pretty. But when they wear really heavy eyeliner, mascara, rouge, lipstick etc. they look too sexy and even they aren't comfortable with that.

Sorry I can't giive you any info on the prices. I've only been in there once with my 3 year old niece and I spent the whole time making sure she didn't get into all the gliitter and lotion and make-up.

Hope you like PINK!!!! :)

disney jones
02-02-2005, 03:42 PM
thanks CC! any idea how long to budget here for time?

As for pink: it's OK for the girls :) (and who woulda thunk it was yenta that first proposed this idea!?)

Opus1guy
02-02-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't know. I just can't put my finger on why this place gives me the creeps.

I just walked by it about 3 hours ago coming out of the Grand Californian, and just walking by it gave me the heebie-jeebies! Like that Jon Benet Ramsey kid might come walking out the front door or something. Yeech.

I get anywhere even near the place and I'm afraid someone's going to accuse me of pedophilia or something. It's just...Creepy.

Maybe it's all in my head. Perhaps I just don't think little kids like that should be dolled-up as what in the most of the rest of the world would be considered "sexy clothing."

Whatever. Just glad I don't have any that age now to have to deal with that issue.

disney jones
02-02-2005, 04:10 PM
^if it was up to me, i'd take her to ESPNZone, but i'm sure she'll enjoy the treat - and i agree with CC - "less is more"

and it's been said 1000 times before, and i'm sure it'll be said 1000 times again ---

"it's all yenta's fault, it was her idea!" :p

Earkid
02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
I went in there for exactly 15 minutes during our Dec. trip. I was looking for something fun for my 12 yr old twin nieces for Christmas. I ended up getting some fizzing bath stuff and a kit to make your own lip gloss.

By the time I left I had a headache and not one "clerk" made eye contact with me or said one word to me, not even "sign here please" when they handed me the bill. The place wasn't too full of little girls but the girls that were there were the snottiest, loudest kids I have ever been around. As I was looking on the shelves they would walk by and push me out of the way, maybe because they had been told they were the star for the day. If I heard one more high pitched voice scream "I need more glitter"!! I was going to pop a vein.

Just my experience. Good luck Jonesy!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZOE!!

SCUBAbe
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I wasn't impressed with the store and the provocative dancing they were leading the children in outside of the store was disgusting...a petiphiles(?) dream....as for pricing ...I saw a brochure somewhere and the pricing seemed ok...I thought it would be higher.

I notice you keep saying "thats been said before" if anyone writes something negative about the store...well, then you must know how many people already feel about this store.... ;) ...If my child wanted to do it. I would take her. i would not ket them make her up like a whore and she would not be doing any dancing outside of the store for all of DTD to watch. (man those girls looked really cheap too....so sad....)

tlovesdis
02-02-2005, 08:18 PM
My 5 year old niece and 10 year old cousin had makeovers when we were there in December and they had the time of their lives! It was too cute. The cost was $20 and they got the makeover and they got to choose 5 items from a cerain section of the store. The 5 items totalled way more than $20. Each makeover only took about 20 minutes. If you would like to see pics, send me an email and I will email them to you. I don't want a bunch of crap from the people here that don't like Club Libby Lu, otherwise I would post them here!

It's totally worth the $20 and your daughter will love it!

tlovesdis
02-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Maybe it's all in my head. Perhaps I just don't think little kids like that should be dolled-up as what in the most of the rest of the world would be considered "sexy clothing."

There is no sexy clothing involved in the makeover. My niece was given a ponytail hair extention, glitter on her hair and nails, and some make up.

Lani
02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
Just a thought, Disney Jones -- the Build-a-Bear in Downtown Disney sells Disney-themed outfits. :)

disney jones
02-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Just a thought, Disney Jones -- the Build-a-Bear in Downtown Disney sells Disney-themed outfits. :)i'm starting to crumble due to the weight of social pressure, especially since i saw Libby Lu is also in Arizona, and more especially since i'm such a protective, conservative father.
maybe i'll give her the option between the two places. she'd definitely enjoy both. and i wouldn't over do it a CLL. hmmmm.......

(just like Yenta - gives me this idea, then disappears for the rest of the day while i take the heat!)

rentayenta
02-02-2005, 08:49 PM
Well you didn't have to post it ;)

Dude, it's all about being an involved parent, which you are. I saw some cute little girls come out. You decide how far to take it. I think you are strong enough to say no to anything that you feel is inapproprite for your child.

Are you getting this or do I need more italics? ;)

tlovesdis
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Well you didn't have to post it ;)

Dude, it's all about being an involved parent, which you are. I saw some cute little girls come out. You decide how far to take it. I think you are strong enough to say no to anything that you feel is inapproprite for your child.

Are you getting this or do I need more italics? ;)

I agree with you renta! It's up to the parent (or in my case the Aunt) as to the extent of the makeover. There is no way in he** I would gave let Allonna wear some sexy clothes or anything like that. I mean she is only 5, but she is a girly girl and loves makeup so she just got some glitter and makeup put on and she looked adorable.